Khaat's First Thoughts - Page 2
Welcome to Potter’s Army

Welcome to Potter's Army

We have been a Harry Potter Roleplaying site since 2007. If you're an old member we hope you come check out the discord link provided below. And if you're looking for a new roleplaying site, well, we're a little inactive. But every once and a while nostalgia sets in and a few of our alumni members will revisit the old stomping grounds and post together. Remember to stay safe out there. And please feel free to drop a line whenever!

Khaat's First Thoughts - Page 2 Li9olo10

What’s Happening?
Since every few months or so a few of our old members get the inspiration to revisit their old stomping grounds we have decided to keep PA open as a place to revisit old threads and start new ones devoid of any serious overarching plot or setting. Take this time to start any of those really weird threads you never got to make with old friends and make them now! Just remember to come say hello in the chatbox below or in the discord. Links have been provided in the "Comings and Goings" forum as well as the welcome widget above.

Khaat's First Thoughts

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Khaat's First Thoughts - Page 2 Empty Re: Khaat's First Thoughts

Post by Khaat Lupin Thu Mar 04, 2010 7:46 pm

I know, I"m double posting, but here's another thing. Since the rash of unrealistic roleplaying, I would really encourage Admin. to move ahead with the magical rating system: i.e, Tier 1, Tier2, Tier 3, etc. I think, if this were to be done well, and some firm guidelines set in place about who is eligible for what tier, and who, realistically, can massively affect each tier, then it would set some more concrete, understandable guidelines about what "beats" what.

My suggestuion is that grads are tier 2's. Anyone significantly post grad--i.e, older seasoned wizards like Dumbledore, (Gandalf--if he were on here, lol) etc. should be tier 1's and that 1's should be limited--i.e., only a certain percentage determined by the admins. That way, not everyone is signing up to be a senior citizen-omnipotent wizard out to conquer the world. That might get to be problematic very quickly. . Any student should be tier 3, and any dropout/squib should be tier 4. My presumption, being there, that they did not get the education they needed to raise their level to be significantly proficient. This also would encourage players who do enjoy dueling to simply not blow off their participation in the Hogwarts education system.

I realize that makes, then, nearly every character fall into either the tier 2 or 3 level, but that might make things more fair and realistic.

Thoughts, all??

Khaat
Khaat Lupin
Khaat Lupin
Gryffindor Graduate
Gryffindor Graduate

Number of posts : 22678
Special Abilities : Energy Worker, Medium, Heightened Sensitivity

Back to top Go down

Post by Jess Potter Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:03 pm

Well that's what we're talking about, but No one is willing to do it without Darren, and darren.... well we'll leave that subject.
However, i think the idea was that tier one would be magically significant individuals, people like Dumbledore and Voldemort, the names that go down in legend, that sort of thing.
Next would be the advanced grads, then grads, then NEWTs, Students, Crap
However, i disagree with this method, i'd prefer a system more based on posts, or on site agreeance, otherwise people like Ne'os can just make new characters that are fifty, use his fancy ideas and becoming the fifty year old and be tier one, it's hard to limit applications accepted because sometimes you can have lots of good apps, you don't know how it's going to go, nor how many will apply, you may say no to someone, then not have an app for 6 months.
I dunno, it's hard to say what i mean, hopefully you understood xD
Jess Potter
Jess Potter
Gryffindor Graduate
Gryffindor Graduate

Number of posts : 14221
Special Abilities : Wandless Magic, Seer, Flying, Legilimens

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1356010139

Back to top Go down

Post by Amelia Lyons Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:09 pm

I agree with Jess. I do not think that gradating roleplayers based on the age of their characters is a good way to influence good roleplaying. I think it will just encourage people to create new, older characters in order to fall into tier one. I would rather have a tier based system that rewards creativity, post length, strong posts, roleplaying with a lot of different people, advancing plot, etc. If we reward all those types of things, we would not simply be rewarding those who write the most, but also give people who write less (for whatever reasons) to earn some sort of recognition if they have some substance or reality to their shorter, but still beneficial posts.
Amelia Lyons
Amelia Lyons
Ravenclaw Graduate
Ravenclaw Graduate

Number of posts : 1645
Special Abilities : Occlumens, Apparation

Back to top Go down

Post by Khaat Lupin Fri Mar 05, 2010 1:25 am

Well, I did admit, though not in the clearest wording that I did fear that everyone would race off to create a Tier 1 charactter if there were not some way of determining how to limit that. But I don't pretend to have all the answers. Sometimes that sort of criteria is best developed by what we're doing now, lots of minds coming together.

All I'm saying is that there might be worthwhile merits to exploring it further. Enough said here, otherwise I'll just be venting about some already well known and already "beaten to death" subjects that still really piss me off. And I see no point in using up more site space for that.

Oh well. Moving on.

K.
Khaat Lupin
Khaat Lupin
Gryffindor Graduate
Gryffindor Graduate

Back to top Go down

Post by Jess Potter Fri Mar 05, 2010 5:39 am

Mmm, when darren is completely back, we really need to make him discuss what he has in mind for this, because no one but him knows really what's gonna happen with it.
Moving on... lol
Jess Potter
Jess Potter
Gryffindor Graduate
Gryffindor Graduate

Number of posts : 14221
Special Abilities : Wandless Magic, Seer, Flying, Legilimens

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1356010139

Back to top Go down

Post by Christabelle Whittle Fri Mar 05, 2010 5:49 am

On your note about the wizarding mafia...I know someone who has started just that on the site but is trying to wait until it gets going to say anything but its more so with the students and its a skull and crossbones kind of thing..I just thought it weird since they have no way of reading this and its almost like you read their mind.
Christabelle Whittle
Christabelle Whittle
Seventh Year Ravenclaw
Seventh Year Ravenclaw

Number of posts : 4350
Special Abilities : Seer, Legilimens

Back to top Go down

Post by Jemma Tiquelle Fri Mar 05, 2010 10:35 pm

For tiers, I think it was going to be that everyone is sorted automatically into normal grads/normal students/normal drop outs, then admins can move them up tiers if they see fit (so you wouldn't start at tier one).
Just a note on the tier front.

Khaat's First Thoughts - Page 2 Qw9nLyk
~ enjoying her sixties ~ divination professor & head of hufflepuff ~ single ~ seer ~
~ biography ~ thread tracker ~

Set made by me. Want one? Accepting requests here.
Jemma Tiquelle
Jemma Tiquelle
Graduate
Graduate

Number of posts : 6601
Special Abilities : Seer, Occlumens, Apparation and Astral Projection.

http://www.zazzle.com/magicalmalteaser*

Back to top Go down

Post by Sandra Archer Sat Mar 06, 2010 4:44 am

I think Jemma has the right idea here. Start people at a predetermined tier, and move them up or down according to what others have been suggesting, mainly post quality, activity, etc. And the higher you go, the tougher it is to maintain. For example, to go from bottom to middle of the road wouldn't be difficult, and you could stay there with relative ease. But going from the middle to the top would require much more work and you couldn't just stop working hard when you got their. I think that's a nice way to balance the system between IC and OoC elements.
Sandra Archer
Sandra Archer

Number of posts : 240
Special Abilities : Memory Manipulation and Apparition

Back to top Go down

Post by Khaat Lupin Sat Mar 06, 2010 6:12 am

i completely agree. it would also affect, for example, if you go on an extended site absence without a reason, i would think. might also help with some of that stuff too.
Khaat Lupin
Khaat Lupin
Gryffindor Graduate
Gryffindor Graduate

Back to top Go down

Post by Khaat Lupin Tue Mar 23, 2010 7:39 pm

One more really nutty thought for your consideration. Khaat has a whole houseful of homeless teens. And much as she loves them all like they truly were all her own, she really wants to start concentrating on her marriage and her pregnancy. So--here's where this idea comes from. Khaat CANNOT adopt every homless waif on the site. I would like to see a group home started, a home for homeless kids. I.E., dropouts under 18, or kids without guardians who are students to use as a homebase on breaks and such.

It would be fine with me if you all wanted it to be a sub program, for whatever reason, under St. Mungo's, although it doesn't really fit there logically. Maybe St. Mungos would do it as a charity program or something. Idk. I know right now there are a lot more homeless kids than are showing under the color coded list of names at the bottom of the site page. And there is always the possibility for more. I guess I'm saying it could go under St. Mungo's b/c I don't know if anyone would want to run it or not. I'm just offering to do it, under that umbrella.

My thought is that the kids who live there would be "strongly advised" to go to Hogwarts, etc.

What are your thoughts?

K.
Khaat Lupin
Khaat Lupin
Gryffindor Graduate
Gryffindor Graduate

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top