Khaat's First Thoughts
Welcome to Potter’s Army

Welcome to Potter's Army

We have been a Harry Potter Roleplaying site since 2007. If you're an old member we hope you come check out the discord link provided below. And if you're looking for a new roleplaying site, well, we're a little inactive. But every once and a while nostalgia sets in and a few of our alumni members will revisit the old stomping grounds and post together. Remember to stay safe out there. And please feel free to drop a line whenever!

Khaat's First Thoughts Li9olo10

What’s Happening?
Since every few months or so a few of our old members get the inspiration to revisit their old stomping grounds we have decided to keep PA open as a place to revisit old threads and start new ones devoid of any serious overarching plot or setting. Take this time to start any of those really weird threads you never got to make with old friends and make them now! Just remember to come say hello in the chatbox below or in the discord. Links have been provided in the "Comings and Goings" forum as well as the welcome widget above.

Khaat's First Thoughts

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Khaat's First Thoughts Empty Khaat's First Thoughts

Post by Khaat Lupin Sat Feb 27, 2010 1:48 pm

My first thought is that somehow I think we sometimes miss that the reason we are all here is to have fun and to make new friends. I think that is what draws us all here. I would like to see us, and I guess I'm speaking of myself and fellow players, stop taking ourselves and minor irritations so seriously. I think we need to give a gentle note or reminder about how to separate IC thoughts and feelings from OOC ones and how to set appropriate boundaries so that if things do not go the way you want for your character, you don't just simply wallk away. (I have been through those thoughts and feelings myself, but if I can help with co-authoring that with someone because if my being a therapist and having to teach boundaries, I'll be happy to do that with some admin. Now--don't pick on me because I'm not expert at always practicing what I preach. It is one thing to teach it and sometimes a lot tougher to do. LOL)

I am going to bring this up as a note, not against anyone in particular, but because it affects us all at one point or another. The question of whether to use or not to use a NCP. I think that really should only be the business of the characters who are actively involved in that thread. Sometimes there is a valid point to use a NPC--to help build a relationship between two or more characters, to create some drama and thereby give some characters someplace to rp--otherwise leaving them with nothing to do, etc. I have used NPC's, and I fully intend to continue to use them. I am not trying to offend anyone, but if someone reads a thread that i am on and they are not, and they are offended, I would much prefer they take that up with me personally first--or just stay out of it since it is not their thread.

How about avatars of sites and buildings on their links so that people can see what some of the lesser spots look like? i think sometimes being more visual is more appealing.

along with that, what about an "Atlas" where there could be pictures of maps to where things are in relation w/ each other--london, hogsmeade, hogwarts, etc., people's houses, etc. Again, might help clear up some confusion and would be visually more appealing

Admins/Mods who are NOT related to major plots need to be actively/consistently monitoring them as much as possible so that big plots actually go as planned. Also--and this is REALLY important I think--PLEASE fill in folks on what the plot is and what is going to happen so we can all do the right thing! maybe things would get less out of hand.

I'd like to see several totally diffferent larger plots moving at the same time so that everyone feels he or she has a purpose. i am not sure they need to be interwoven, but its always nice when they can be. when there is only one large plot moving, everyone else seems to flounder around.

More villains--I suggested we use someone like thomas patterson and start a wizarding mafia who starts vying for control of the wizarding dark world by using money, innfluence, etc. a struggle w/in the dark arts for control over that sector of power.

open up all hogwarts classes again--rehire order teachers unitl the thought of taking over hogwarts can be rethought and redone.

what about a street fair in diagon alley around easter? where anybody can apply to set up a booth for selling things, or hosting fun events, like a maypole dance, or whatever, to get all age groups involved and having a good time.

Plus, we need to make better use of encouraging folks to actually use their sickles. getting them to the shops, interacting, socializing, meeting each other so that we don't have so many people that don't know each other. perhaps contests to earn more sickles so that folks aren't so afraid to spend them.

what about Quests for things? I have no idea what. havent' thought that through. maybe st. mungos needs some sort of rare herb for potions or something. something to get small pods of folks going out to face unknown dangers for things.

we seriously need to involve all player groups--whether its students, grads, dropouts, it doesn't matter. they are all valuable members that need to feel wanted.

a writing clinic to help folks feel more confident as RP''rs, where either admins, mods, or more experienced players can give suggestions for less frustrating play.

how about some mercenaries, like Jenifer Dent, to be out for hire to either attack, harm, steal, etc. for hire?

a large social fundraiser for st. mungos.

please clean off the dead threads sooner. it makes the site less confusing when they're off the boards.

how about contests for things like the most number of posts, best post of the month, or the best written posts, or something to encourage RP'ing?

written explanation of things that are easily overlooked, like Karma points. I'd give some if I knew how to do it. i find them frustrating. i want to give them and earn them, both.

Khaat

Last edited by Khaat Dent on Sat Feb 27, 2010 6:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
Khaat Lupin
Khaat Lupin
Gryffindor Graduate
Gryffindor Graduate

Number of posts : 22572
Special Abilities : Energy Worker, Medium, Heightened Sensitivity

Back to top Go down

Khaat's First Thoughts Empty Re: Khaat's First Thoughts

Post by Amelia Lyons Sat Feb 27, 2010 4:13 pm

please clean off the dead threads sooner. it makes the site less confusing when they're off the boards.

how about contests for things like the most number of posts, best post of the month, or the best written posts, or something to encourage RP'ing?

written explanation of things that are easily overlooked, like Karma points. I'd give some if I knew how to do it. i find them frustrating. i want to give them and earn them, both.

I agree with these three most of all your suggestions. I think by rewarding good roleplaying (whether it be length, realistic, innovative, imaginative, plot promoting, etc) encourages everyone to write better.

Also, I think there needs to be a better enforcement of some of the rules, especially those pertaining to roleplay. I know it is not my place to correct the roleplaying of other site members, but if people are writing less than one line of text, they aren't following the rules.
Amelia Lyons
Amelia Lyons
Ravenclaw Graduate
Ravenclaw Graduate

Number of posts : 1645
Special Abilities : Occlumens, Apparation

Back to top Go down

Post by Khaat Lupin Sat Feb 27, 2010 4:55 pm

There are members on this site who are severelly learning disabled. It takes them as much time and effort to make that one post as it does for some of the rest of us to write paragraphs. And, trust me, spell check doesn't always work well for these folks. I believe it is very discriminatory to not allow them access to the site like everyone else. If someone has a problem RP'ing with a disabled individual, then that player simply needs to select to RP with someone else. In the end, it seems to me we are all here to have fun and make friends, and not to prove how good we are at writing, spelling and grammar.
Khaat Lupin
Khaat Lupin
Gryffindor Graduate
Gryffindor Graduate

Back to top Go down

Post by Amelia Lyons Sat Feb 27, 2010 5:02 pm

I am not trying to be discriminatory toward roleplayers with learning disabilities, Khaat. You know that. I don't think we should throw them off the site or not allow them access, but they should not be exempt from the rules. If they want help posting or writing, I would be all for helping with the writing clinic you mentioned in one of the earlier suggestions. I think writing in a roleplay setting is a great way for people with learning disabilities or who need to work on their writing to learn and practice. But they won't get any better at writing or have as enjoyable a roleplay experience if they aren't challenged.
Amelia Lyons
Amelia Lyons
Ravenclaw Graduate
Ravenclaw Graduate

Back to top Go down

Post by Khaat Lupin Sat Feb 27, 2010 5:09 pm

My suggestion is that we ask them how they themselves feel before we make decisions about the disabled, and ask them what they feel would help them the most. They often have learned to compensate in ways we have not dreamed of. They may be able to give us many innovative ideas that might help to resolve this fairly easily and without anyone having hurt feelings.
Khaat Lupin
Khaat Lupin
Gryffindor Graduate
Gryffindor Graduate

Back to top Go down

Post by Amelia Lyons Sat Feb 27, 2010 5:20 pm

I think that is a good suggestion. I don't personally know who the roleplayers are that have learning disabilities, though, so I would not know who to ask.
Amelia Lyons
Amelia Lyons
Ravenclaw Graduate
Ravenclaw Graduate

Back to top Go down

Post by Khaat Lupin Sat Feb 27, 2010 5:32 pm

I do. I know some of them who really struggle with doing the one or two sentences that they do write. They don't get to RP a lot because others who don't understand are frustrated with their short posts. I have learning disabled people in my family, so it is an issue that, for better or worse, is very close to my heart. I try to make sure that I RP with them so they feel as welcome as anyone else. I'm honestly not trying to be snarfy or anything. It's just that I guess I"m extra sensitive to that because of how close to home that issue hits for me.
Khaat Lupin
Khaat Lupin
Gryffindor Graduate
Gryffindor Graduate

Back to top Go down

Post by Amelia Lyons Sat Feb 27, 2010 8:58 pm

I think if people were more aware of who the learning disabled players on the site are they might be more willing to give them leeway when it comes to post length or grammatical errors. I just don't know how to go about telling people that because some of the roleplayers who have this obstacles will probably not want to tell everyone about it. Suggestions?
Amelia Lyons
Amelia Lyons
Ravenclaw Graduate
Ravenclaw Graduate

Back to top Go down

Post by Jess Potter Sat Feb 27, 2010 11:12 pm

Hey khaat
Well, after reading your suggestions i was going to quote and cut out all the things that i didn't like.
However, there was too much left behind, so i decided i'd just give a blanket 'yes' to pretty much all of them.

I particularly agree with multiple plots, involving all groups of people, and bringing back all the hogwarts jobs, i think the hogwarts cull was unnecessary, the decision to focus on students was stupid, and we seem to have moments off focusing entirely on grads, but leaving hogwarts out, and then moments of focusing on hogwarts and leaving grads out...

So, i daresay we'll be looking into alot of those.
Thanks! Jess
Jess Potter
Jess Potter
Gryffindor Graduate
Gryffindor Graduate

Number of posts : 14221
Special Abilities : Wandless Magic, Seer, Flying, Legilimens

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1356010139

Back to top Go down

Post by Khaat Lupin Sat Feb 27, 2010 11:16 pm

Anytime!! And if I remember what those other little thoughts were, I will add them.

Khaat
Khaat Lupin
Khaat Lupin
Gryffindor Graduate
Gryffindor Graduate

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top