Study or death? Death, no I meant study, study!
Welcome to Potter’s Army

Welcome to Potter's Army

We have been a Harry Potter Roleplaying site since 2007. If you're an old member we hope you come check out the discord link provided below. And if you're looking for a new roleplaying site, well, we're a little inactive. But every once and a while nostalgia sets in and a few of our alumni members will revisit the old stomping grounds and post together. Remember to stay safe out there. And please feel free to drop a line whenever!

Study or death? Death, no I meant study, study! Li9olo10

What’s Happening?
Since every few months or so a few of our old members get the inspiration to revisit their old stomping grounds we have decided to keep PA open as a place to revisit old threads and start new ones devoid of any serious overarching plot or setting. Take this time to start any of those really weird threads you never got to make with old friends and make them now! Just remember to come say hello in the chatbox below or in the discord. Links have been provided in the "Comings and Goings" forum as well as the welcome widget above.

Study or death? Death, no I meant study, study!

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Study or death? Death, no I meant study, study! Empty Study or death? Death, no I meant study, study!

Post by Molz Weasley Sun Apr 28, 2013 3:40 pm

[[OOC: Ok, So this is kinda a studying-type thread for the OWLs. So open to fifth years, really. Though if sixth and seventh years want to help out, they're free to.]]

Molly had found an empty classroom randomly on the sixth floor, and had found it to be a nice little place to study. Well, it wasn't really a classroom, more like an empty room with some chairs and desks. She didn't know what it was used for since she had never seen it in use, but it made it a nice little place to go. That was where the nice-ness ended though, she didn't really like working at all.

Care of Magical Creatures had been the only class Molly really cared about in any way shape or form, and it showed. Years of not paying that much attention in other classes was causing her great worry now, with her OWLs quickly approaching. She needed to do well, she wanted an internship in the Department of Regulations and Control for Magical Creatures. However, the Ministry wanted students to be good at other subjects too. Molly hadn't thought about this much before this year and was starting to panic a bit.

Her transfiguration textbook open, she stared at the page trying to take things in. She was luckily alright with the actual spells, it was just all this theory that she couldn't get her head around. Bored, she started making chairs move around the room. She wasn't paying attention, which caused a bunch of them to crash in one of the corners. She quickly ran over to try and fix them, not wanting a detention for damaging school property.

Molz Weasley
Molz Weasley
Sixth Year Gryffindor
Sixth Year Gryffindor

Number of posts : 180

Back to top Go down

Study or death? Death, no I meant study, study! Empty Re: Study or death? Death, no I meant study, study!

Post by Brian Sullivan Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:41 pm

Brain sprinted through the halls of Hogwarts with a huge grin on his face. It was not a happy grin, no, it was a satisfied grin. It was oddly out of place seeing as there were three angry Slytherins right on his tail. Maybe it was because he was a Gryffindor, or it could have been the fireworks he threw into their quidditch changing room after one of their practices. Either way it was pretty hilarious, but he had to get away from them, or they would probably give him a good flogging.

Luckily, he was faster than most of the kids at Hogwarts, so he was able to outrun them with relative ease. He rounded a corner and his feet flew out from under him. He crashed hard to the ground and he slid across the floor. He looked back to see the Slytherin gaining on him and he quickly pushed himself to his feet and high tailed it to the moving staircase.

With any luck he would be able to get to them while they were moving. When they were in sight, he let out a sigh of good luck, they were ready for him to move up. To his dismay, though, they started to move just as he was getting to them. He did not slow down, instead he picked up the pace, and he launched himself from the edge of the floor and grabbed ahold of the moving staircase.

He barely made it, grasping onto the edge and crashing down with his gut hitting the sides. His feet were dangling in the air, but he quickly pulled himself up, and he looked down on the Slytherins. "See you on the pitch fat boys!" He probably shouldn't have been taunting the three, two of them were Slytherin's beaters, and one was a chaser. Either way he probably should lay low for awhile.

The stair-case came to a stop on the sixth floor and Brian strutted off the staircase. The next quidditch game was going to be a rough one, Slytherin was going be going after him with all they got, guess that's what came with being the self proclaimed greatest seeker of all time. He rounded a corner and noticed an empty room, it looked like a good place to lay low, he would pull out one of his quidditch mags and let the time pass.

He opened the door and entered a room where another student was apparently hiding out. A loud crash happened just as he entered the door and he peeked his head around the corner to see a young girl, about his age, who seemed to be lifting tables or something strange. "I never pegged you as a vandalism type gal." He had seen her around school before, he was pretty sure they were the same age, he had just never taken the time to get to know her.
Brian Sullivan
Brian Sullivan
Fifth Year Gryffindor
Fifth Year Gryffindor

Number of posts : 279

Back to top Go down

Study or death? Death, no I meant study, study! Empty Re: Study or death? Death, no I meant study, study!

Post by Molz Weasley Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:41 pm

[[OOC: Brian is a fifth year, right? I'm assuming they vaguely know each other, since same house & year, as in know each others names & not much else. And that they're both into Quidditch, I guess.]]

Molly had heard someone coming around the corner. Scared it would be one of the Professors, she quickly tried to repair the chairs. In her haste, she managed to repair two of them and destroy the other two even more. Brilliant, she thought. Then Brian appeared at the door. She didn't know him outside of classes and Quidditch, but at that point she was just glad it wasn't a Professor.

"Hey. Erm, I'm not. I was just playing around with spells and got distracted and one thing led to another and yeah... If revision for OWLs weren't so boring, this wouldn't have happened. Stupid exams." Molly explained herself, which ended up turning into a mini-rant about the upcoming OWL exams. She didn't mean it to, she was just so stressed out these days.

She turned back to look at the chairs. She hoped she'd be able to fix the broken ones. Or she could leave it and hope no Professor came by. Knowing her luck though, they probably would. Two chairs were fixed at least, and she decided to return those two to their places manually, not trusting herself with her levitation charms at that point in time.

"You been working much for the OWLs? I think I've forgotten everything I ever learnt about transfiguration. I can do the spells, what is the point in needing to write essays about them?" she asked Brian.
Molz Weasley
Molz Weasley
Sixth Year Gryffindor
Sixth Year Gryffindor

Back to top Go down

Post by Brian Sullivan Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:21 am

( Oh yes, they would certainly know each other, especially Molly knowing Brian. He is quite outgoing. )

Brian listened to her while also keeping his gaze on the doorway. He guessed he had stumbled upon a study session. His mind raced and he remembered seeing a note about it in the common room, but he cared so little about studying, he had completely forgot. Well, at least he would be hiding out with company, though he was sure they would grow tired of him quickly. The only books that he had in his backpack were his transfiguration ones, he guessed he could take a small glance at them, but he was more worried about those Slytherin's finding him.

"Yeah, hate those things," Brian said referring to the exams. In all honesty he had barely studied, it was hard for him to focus for very long before becoming bored, but he felt like he knew his material quite well. He soaked in knowledge but he hated doing homework. If he had a galleon for every time a professor lectured him about wasted potential. "Quite honestly? No, I have not studied at all, when you are a genius like me you don't have to." He rolled his eyes and smirked, letting her know it was a joke, he was no genius.

She mentioned Transfiguration and Brian perked up. He gave the girl a quick look over and realized he might have something to go with here. She was cute, real cute actually, and Brian was rather talented when it came to Transfiguration. "I am pretty good with Transfiguration if you need some help?" He was setting the table with small talk, and the chase began! He forgot about the Slytherin's who were chasing him, it was girl time, his favorite time.

He walked over and pulled up a chair next to where she was sitting. He propped himself down and he sat his backpack down on the table and slid his transfiguration book out. "Did you have trouble with that vanishing spell lesson? I know a lot of people did, but really, it is quite easy."
Brian Sullivan
Brian Sullivan
Fifth Year Gryffindor
Fifth Year Gryffindor

Back to top Go down

Post by Molz Weasley Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:36 am

[[OOC: Yeah. Molly's not really outgoing or shy. She just has had a don't-care kinda attitude. As in people generally know her and think of her as 'yeah she's kinda nice' but most people don't really know her well at all. If that makes sense.]]

Molly was glad that Brian wasn't overly obsessed with studying. Some people get gotten a bit too wound up about it this year, which was worrying Molly. She wanted to do well, but she just wasn't an academic person. She liked practical things, not memorizing various bits of theory that she would never have any use for in her entire life. She considered it all completely pointless.

"Yeah, same. I try to study, but I can't remember anything. It's annoying, like my Dad I swear will get annoyed at however I do, because he's like super-clever. But I'm just not." Molly said, thinking of her Dad. He always wanted her to do well. She could pass, but that was just about it. Getting Acceptable in every subject (aside from Care of Magical Creatures) apparently wasn't what was required to be 'someone' in the wizarding world.

"Yeah, if you can help, it would be great." she responded, thankful for someone to help her, since she was currently making no progress what so ever.

"I can kinda do it. Inanimate objects are fine. Animals can be trickier, but I don't exactly have a set lying around to practise on." Molly replied, she didn't want him to think she was completely stupid, but she did need some help.

"I just can't remember all this stuff about it. As far as I'm concerned, you wave your wand and say 'evanesco' and that's all you need to know." she finished. Molly knew her outlook wasn't the same as the Professors here at Hogwarts, but she still didn't see the point in learning everything.

Molly then demonstrated, vanishing the broken chairs from the corner of the room.
"One problem sorted." she said aloud, though was more talking to herself than Brian.
Molz Weasley
Molz Weasley
Sixth Year Gryffindor
Sixth Year Gryffindor

Back to top Go down

Post by Brian Sullivan Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:58 am

He smiled and whipped his wand out, wow, finally something he knew about. It was rare he found himself able to teach someone else, and to be honest, he kind of liked it. He did not know why he just couldn't get into it more, certainly wouldn't affect his grades.

"It is much more than just waving your wand." He perked up a bit, smiling, and trying to seem friendly. For some reason it was almost hard for him to have conversations with girls and not flirting with them. The entire time he fought the urge to make some lewd sexual comment. She did not seem like the type of girl to go for that kind of stuff anyways. "You have to really concentrate, focus on the object, not the magic itself. I know that sounds kind of weird, but the object is half the spell, not just your wand. Magic is, in a sense, an extension of everything so what you are vanishing is just as much a part of it as your wand or you are. That is why inanimate objects are easy, they offer no resistance, but a living being sometimes does not want to vanish. It was kind of born not to vanish and it has more power to fight you getting rid of it."

Brian paused and wondered if anything he was saying made any sense at all. He had a problem with understanding things in his own head but being unable to voice them to other people. "At least that's my understanding of the whole process. For me it is made easier if I visualize where the thing I am vanishing goes to. I like to think it goes to some super awesome place where it is going to be better off anyways. That way it kind of breaks the mental what if of where the object is going. Does any of this make sense, I feel like I am just spouting stuff off, makes sense in my head...." He was self conscious about what people thought about him, so when he talked a lot, he always tried to make sure he was not making a fool of himself.
Brian Sullivan
Brian Sullivan
Fifth Year Gryffindor
Fifth Year Gryffindor

Back to top Go down

Post by Molz Weasley Tue Apr 30, 2013 1:10 am

Molly listened to Brian. She got what he was saying, it did make sense. But there was understanding something, and then there was actually putting it into practise. Two very different things. She thought this was better than lessons though, at least here she didn't have the urge to fall asleep every five minutes.

"Ok, yeah, that makes sense. Animals don't want to vanish. They like living. Inanimate objects can't think." she summarised what he'd said, taking it in.

"Like a place of no return? Ok, I guess I can try imagining someplace else. I'll see if that helps." Molly said, her imagination then going into overdrive of what the other place could be. Trying not to give it to much thought, she simplified it in her head. She made it a really nice place though. One problem was part of her felt bad for the animals and didn't want to vanish them, which really didn't help with the whole process.

Just then, a rat scurried across the floor. Molly got her wand out and levitated it towards her desk. She thought trying to aim a spell as well as execute it correctly was a bit ambitious for a first attempt. Making sure to imagine a lovely place filled with rats, or at least a lovely place for a rat, Molly quickly let the rat down onto the desk in front of her.

"Evanesco, evanesco, evanesco!" she repeated, her want pointed at the rat. Molly prayed this would work. There wouldn't be many more chances to practise on live animals. Her first attempt not working, the rat jumped onto the floor. Getting a bit annoyed at it, just tried it again and the rat actually vanished.

"Great." Molly concluded, "They only vanished when I'm annoyed at them. Now I just need to make sure I'm in a bad mood before the exam and I'm sorted." she finished, not sure whether it was a good or bad thing. She still wasn't sure whether she liked vanishing animals, though. But she had no choice at the moment, she had to do it.
Molz Weasley
Molz Weasley
Sixth Year Gryffindor
Sixth Year Gryffindor

Back to top Go down

Post by Brian Sullivan Tue Apr 30, 2013 1:16 am

Brian got a bit of a confidence boost when she claimed to understand him. He nodded his head but was high fiving himself on the inside, maybe he should start teaching Transfiguration? Nah, who was he kidding, he would hate that crap. He loved being outdoors way to much for that anyways.

He watched, interested, when she tried to vanish the rat that was scurrying across the room. He lifted his hands in anticipation as she made attempt after attempt, all missing, each time she got closer his hands shot a little higher. When she finally did it, Brian shot up, clearly happy and shouted "SHE SHOOTS SHE SCORES!" He lifted his hands up, and then realized how loud he was being, and he looked down at Molly trying to gauge her reaction to his quirkiness.

He slowly sat down, a weird grin on his place, and then he put his arms down on the table. "Ahem, nice job." He said casually, trying to replace his crazy excitement for that of a more toned down and reasonable reaction. He laughed when she said she needed to be annoyed "Nonsense, you did great, it just takes practice. I mean you were trying to hit a moving mouse after all." He smirked and then he looked out the window, longing to be outside.

"I wish I was outside on a broom right now, this studying thing is lame...." He quickly glanced back over to Molly. "Not to say that you are lame, you're the cool part, it's the studying." He spoke fast trying to cover his tracks. He was trying to impress her after all.
Brian Sullivan
Brian Sullivan
Fifth Year Gryffindor
Fifth Year Gryffindor

Back to top Go down

Post by Molz Weasley Tue Apr 30, 2013 1:38 am

Molly laughed as Brian announced her 'shooting and scoring'. She thought he sounded like a Quidditch commentator or something. But that made her start thinking about Quidditch, which was a real distraction to studying.

"The moving isn't the hard part. I can aim fairly well, being a Chaser and all. Getting the right spell is the problem." Molly said, both making herself sound good and bad at the same time. She didn't like to boast, but most of the school had seen her play, she was a fairly decent Chaser. Molly much preferred Quidditch to most of her classes, so she did practise it a lot more though.

"Oh I know, tell me about it." Molly agreed, not even clicking that Brian had ever implied she was lame. She didn't pick up on things like that generally.

"Give me a broom over a book any day. But at the moment it's all work and no play and it's kinda depressing." she said, then an idea came to her. "After this, we should totally go out to the stadium and fly around for a bit. I hate being trapped inside in all these classrooms, and it's a lovely day toady."
Molz Weasley
Molz Weasley
Sixth Year Gryffindor
Sixth Year Gryffindor

Back to top Go down

Post by Brian Sullivan Tue Apr 30, 2013 1:47 am

She still wanted to study and Brian wanted to smash his head against the desk. They had been there for maybe ten or fifteen minutes but if felt like an eternity for Brian. Especially when she brought up the prospect of going flying afterwards. Well, there went his attention span, now all he could think about was being on a broom high in the air. Since she was going to be out with him, he thought of all the ways he could try and impress her, she did not seem to be picking up any of his attraction towards her. No biggie, she wasn't pushing him away, which was a good thing.

"Is that even a question, of course we should go flying, I cannot think of anything other than that right now." It was half true, he was also imagining how he could get her to become interested in him, which also involved flying. He wondered how he was ever going to make it through Hogwarts with being attracted to every other girl he saw. It was a curse, he was sure of it, and the only way to quell that curse was to act on his impulses.

"So what else are you forcing me to study before we go and have fun?" He smirked, poking a little fun in her direction, but trying to make it seem like he was only kidding.
Brian Sullivan
Brian Sullivan
Fifth Year Gryffindor
Fifth Year Gryffindor

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top