What should we do about Hogwarts - Page 5
Welcome to Potter’s Army

Welcome to Potter's Army

We have been a Harry Potter Roleplaying site since 2007. If you're an old member we hope you come check out the discord link provided below. And if you're looking for a new roleplaying site, well, we're a little inactive. But every once and a while nostalgia sets in and a few of our alumni members will revisit the old stomping grounds and post together. Remember to stay safe out there. And please feel free to drop a line whenever!

What should we do about Hogwarts - Page 5 Li9olo10

What’s Happening?
Since every few months or so a few of our old members get the inspiration to revisit their old stomping grounds we have decided to keep PA open as a place to revisit old threads and start new ones devoid of any serious overarching plot or setting. Take this time to start any of those really weird threads you never got to make with old friends and make them now! Just remember to come say hello in the chatbox below or in the discord. Links have been provided in the "Comings and Goings" forum as well as the welcome widget above.

What should we do about Hogwarts

Page 5 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

What should we do about Hogwarts - Page 5 Empty Re: What should we do about Hogwarts

Post by Khaat Lupin Sat Nov 10, 2012 11:07 pm

ahahah. as usual, you're one step ahead of me, darren.
Khaat Lupin
Khaat Lupin
Gryffindor Graduate
Gryffindor Graduate

Number of posts : 22664
Special Abilities : Energy Worker, Medium, Heightened Sensitivity

Back to top Go down

What should we do about Hogwarts - Page 5 Empty Re: What should we do about Hogwarts

Post by Sean Wilson Fri Nov 23, 2012 4:07 pm

As a coming back present, I have two ideas! One of them you will probably scrap, but it might (might) be our only hope to legitly and fairly prevent powerplaying.

Anyway, to that in a minute.

First, I think we should have a true, blown out war under the teachers' noses at hogwarts. Breaking into different common rooms, sabotaging stuff, giant missions to give Hogwarts a sense of self. And for the grand finale, instead of a giant battle, it should be a giant food fight. Well there's the first idea, now to the idea that you'll probably scrap:

Institute a battle system. Not complex, like dungeons and dragons, but enough to make a duel strategic. I could help with that if you wanted, but I doubt you want to. Not many people do. Anyway, there are my 2 cents!
Sean Wilson
Sean Wilson
First Year Hufflepuff
First Year Hufflepuff

Number of posts : 1896

http://thehunt.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Lucy Weasley Fri Nov 23, 2012 9:12 pm

Avoiding battle systems is one of the reasons people are attracted to text RP just saying.

I honestly think most people only do those things mistakenly. They're either new to RP or they write something in a post without realising and if you give them a quick, polite PM to let them know, they'll change it for you.

Those three things are just courtesies of the RP world, when you get one of those players who constantly thinks it doesn't apply to them, or gets angry when it's pointed out to them, they're probably not someone you want on the board anyway.
Lucy Weasley
Lucy Weasley
Seventh Year Hufflepuff
Seventh Year Hufflepuff

Number of posts : 159

Back to top Go down

Post by Sean Wilson Sat Nov 24, 2012 5:39 am

I understand that. Maybe an optional battle system? Use the tier ranking system as the default, and if two people want to duel fairly they could use the battle system if they want. That's truly the only fair way to do this. I don't really like the tier ranking because it's like playing war with cards. 10 ALWAYS beats 9, no exceptions. That brings me to my next point:

Monsters and npcs need tier rankings/stats as well, not just characters. Because a first year could hardly kill a werewolf, we need something to show that.

Sean Wilson
Sean Wilson
First Year Hufflepuff
First Year Hufflepuff

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Post by Sean Wilson Sat Nov 24, 2012 7:39 am

The tier system just seems pointless to me then. And I probably missed that dueling system. Ah well, it's not up to me. I was just making a suggestion. It's not site breaking or anything, and most people on the site are the first type from what I've seen. So it's not too big of a deal.
Sean Wilson
Sean Wilson
First Year Hufflepuff
First Year Hufflepuff

Back to top Go down

Post by Keith Nicholas Sat Nov 24, 2012 3:02 pm

The tier system has been removed because we no longer saw a need for it. It was introduced because we were having huge problems with power-playing, and the admins at the time thought that it could help cut down on that without the admins having to review each case themselves.

Now however, we don't have nearly the problem with power-playing and godmodding that we did before, so we removed it. It was a tad too static and unchanging for the members' liking and a mess to maintain for the admins so we dropped it. You could argue that there's only less power-playing because there's less fighting, and that might be true. We'll see what happens if/when battling picks up again.

For now, there seems to be no reason to implement any kind of battling system, so it probably won't be happening.
Keith Nicholas

Number of posts : 986

Back to top Go down

Post by James S. Potter Sat Nov 24, 2012 6:10 pm

It's too bad that the underground dueling thing didn't work out. I thought it would have been really fun, but then there's nothing you can do if your partner never shows up...

Not entirely ready to scrap the idea, though. Maybe if we implement a dueling system, we have some sort of rule as to what happens if your partner never shows up. Give them, say, a week or two to post a response, and if they don't...partner up the one who did post a response to another person who's partner went MIA. Same idea would work for classes. Give people a deadline for when they need to post by. If they don't meet the deadline, then their original partner gets paired up with someone who has posted.
James S. Potter
James S. Potter
Graduate
Graduate

Number of posts : 361
Special Abilities : Animagus and Parseltongue

Back to top Go down

Post by Nick Potter Sat Dec 01, 2012 6:13 am

Someone should open up the nice and always friendly, Chamber of Secrets and have something evil pop out.
Nick Potter
Nick Potter
Sixth Year Ravenclaw
Sixth Year Ravenclaw

Number of posts : 2915

Back to top Go down

Post by Audra Imbert Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:33 am

By the way. Earlier in the tread someone mentioned boggarts attack. It could be fun. Terrifying kind of fun. You open your drawer - pop, a boggart comes out. Yo go to the potions locker - pop, a boggart. There should be one person who simply goes trought threads and checks if it's possible to sneak a boggart in there, post something like "you encountered a boggart" and leave the players to sort it out. The good thing - there would be action, there would be reasons to talk, there would be reasons to help each other and there would be reasons to laugh. So it'd be balanced. The fighting, the interaction and the fun.
Audra Imbert
Audra Imbert

Number of posts : 72

https://www.pottersarmy.net/t15873-imbert-audra-ugne

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top