What should we do about Hogwarts - Page 4
Welcome to Potter’s Army

Welcome to Potter's Army

We have been a Harry Potter Roleplaying site since 2007. If you're an old member we hope you come check out the discord link provided below. And if you're looking for a new roleplaying site, well, we're a little inactive. But every once and a while nostalgia sets in and a few of our alumni members will revisit the old stomping grounds and post together. Remember to stay safe out there. And please feel free to drop a line whenever!

What should we do about Hogwarts - Page 4 Li9olo10

What’s Happening?
Since every few months or so a few of our old members get the inspiration to revisit their old stomping grounds we have decided to keep PA open as a place to revisit old threads and start new ones devoid of any serious overarching plot or setting. Take this time to start any of those really weird threads you never got to make with old friends and make them now! Just remember to come say hello in the chatbox below or in the discord. Links have been provided in the "Comings and Goings" forum as well as the welcome widget above.

What should we do about Hogwarts

Page 4 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

What should we do about Hogwarts - Page 4 Empty Re: What should we do about Hogwarts

Post by Chastity Moor Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:44 am

But the latest post widget only works for posts done while you're online.. and I often miss the good ones.. so.. I like the idea of open thread posts thingy, it gives me a place to go to LOOK for them.
Chastity Moor
Chastity Moor

Number of posts : 2008

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

What should we do about Hogwarts - Page 4 Empty Re: What should we do about Hogwarts

Post by Jess Potter Tue Nov 06, 2012 8:16 pm

Hmmm. I like the idea in theory, but I'm not sure how well it'd work out in practice.

For starters, if there were awards of any sort, I'd do character ones - that's a valid point. But I don't think that awards are the important bit there.

Would you suggest just announcing what's happened and creating a few open topics ("Slytherin HoH Challenge" etc.) and prompting people to post in it?
Jess Potter
Jess Potter
Gryffindor Graduate
Gryffindor Graduate

Number of posts : 14221
Special Abilities : Wandless Magic, Seer, Flying, Legilimens

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1356010139

Back to top Go down

Post by Rudolph Morrison Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:39 pm

Writing prompts, in other words, yes? Clever.

Having a variety of these challenges would allow for professors to involve themselves too, and would prevent players from feeling obligated to respond to the same challenge with multiple characters.

It could certainly be interesting.

Rudolph Morrison
Rudolph Morrison
Fifth Year Gryffindor
Fifth Year Gryffindor

Number of posts : 36

Back to top Go down

Post by Khaat Lupin Sat Nov 10, 2012 10:48 pm

There are site rules against that. Very definitely. We do try to watch for it too. Honestly. And we're happy to try to help reduce that, but we dont' always catch it.

If someone finds godmodding, etc, a quick pm to one of the staff should do the trick. We'll be happy to talk to the player(s) involved to try to reduce it or to find out that the players involved had pre-arranged something. I do generally try to handle those by pms to the people involved so that guarding against various forms of powerplaying doesn't become the new "wild hair" that people get a bit hypervigilent about. So, if I catch it, I don't always deal with it in a way that is immediatley public for all members. Just sayin. Its my own style of dealing with it.

But you're right. As much as we all try to avoid it, we all do it from time to time. Sometimes a gentle reminder is all it takes to get back on our better skills and is sometimes really needed.

So, yeah. A quick pm to a staffer should help. Good catch. Thanks for the reminder. I do appreciate those things.

Khaat Lupin
Khaat Lupin
Gryffindor Graduate
Gryffindor Graduate

Number of posts : 22669
Special Abilities : Energy Worker, Medium, Heightened Sensitivity

Back to top Go down

Post by Khaat Lupin Sat Nov 10, 2012 11:04 pm

ah. okay. and, yes. it does come up periodically. we should probably include that as well.

thank you.
Khaat Lupin
Khaat Lupin
Gryffindor Graduate
Gryffindor Graduate

Number of posts : 22669
Special Abilities : Energy Worker, Medium, Heightened Sensitivity

Back to top Go down

Post by Darren Sat Nov 10, 2012 11:05 pm

The thing with powerplaying, as opposed to godmoding or metagaming, is that people have different ideas as to what is powerplaying. Hence why so many advanced roleplayers do it. There should be a rule against it, yes, but that won't solve the problem completely.

I thought the Tier system did a fair job of getting rid of powerplaying, at least in duels. I hid it temporarily for several reasons, but it should be back soon.
Darren
Darren

Number of posts : 22273
Special Abilities : Wandless Magic, Leglimens,

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top