What should we do about Hogwarts - Page 3
Welcome to Potter’s Army

Welcome to Potter's Army

We have been a Harry Potter Roleplaying site since 2007. If you're an old member we hope you come check out the discord link provided below. And if you're looking for a new roleplaying site, well, we're a little inactive. But every once and a while nostalgia sets in and a few of our alumni members will revisit the old stomping grounds and post together. Remember to stay safe out there. And please feel free to drop a line whenever!

What should we do about Hogwarts - Page 3 Li9olo10

What’s Happening?
Since every few months or so a few of our old members get the inspiration to revisit their old stomping grounds we have decided to keep PA open as a place to revisit old threads and start new ones devoid of any serious overarching plot or setting. Take this time to start any of those really weird threads you never got to make with old friends and make them now! Just remember to come say hello in the chatbox below or in the discord. Links have been provided in the "Comings and Goings" forum as well as the welcome widget above.

What should we do about Hogwarts

Page 3 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

What should we do about Hogwarts - Page 3 Empty Re: What should we do about Hogwarts

Post by Saoirse O'Connell Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:56 pm

I have to agree with Aaron that more open threads would go a long way in fixing the inactivity problem at Hogwarts. With both Saoirse and Mathias, I have browsed through the forums, looking for an open thread to make a random appearance in and kind of throw a wrench into the works. Problem was...there were no recent open threads, so I made one, which has yet to be posted in, lol.

I don't think closed threads should be banned, but just maybe impress on members more that this is a school, and they will not always have complete and utter privacy. If your two lovey dovey characters are together in a common room, for example, is it really likely that they will be left completely alone to kiss and fondle and do whatever those hormone-driven teens will do. I, for one, would have teased a friend mercilessly had I caught them in the act of 'snogging' in public.

Another reason for inactivity comes to mind as I type this...the fact that so many people seem only to be interested in romance between themselves and one other character. I've tried to squeeze Saoirse into a few roleplays, but unfortunately, no one is interested in an 11-year-old girl who is too young to be romantically involved. I have to roll my eyes sometimes at the abundance of these romantic, sweep you off your feet threads. Hogwarts has turned more into a love shack than a school in my humble opinion. We need some more conflict....and mass threads.
Saoirse O'Connell
Saoirse O'Connell

Number of posts : 53
Special Abilities : Empathy

Back to top Go down

What should we do about Hogwarts - Page 3 Empty Re: What should we do about Hogwarts

Post by Keith Nicholas Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:26 am

Saoirse O'Connell wrote:I have to agree with Aaron that more open threads would go a long way in fixing the inactivity problem at Hogwarts. With both Saoirse and Mathias, I have browsed through the forums, looking for an open thread to make a random appearance in and kind of throw a wrench into the works. Problem was...there were no recent open threads, so I made one, which has yet to be posted in, lol.

I don't think closed threads should be banned, but just maybe impress on members more that this is a school, and they will not always have complete and utter privacy. If your two lovey dovey characters are together in a common room, for example, is it really likely that they will be left completely alone to kiss and fondle and do whatever those hormone-driven teens will do. I, for one, would have teased a friend mercilessly had I caught them in the act of 'snogging' in public.

Another reason for inactivity comes to mind as I type this...the fact that so many people seem only to be interested in romance between themselves and one other character. I've tried to squeeze Saoirse into a few roleplays, but unfortunately, no one is interested in an 11-year-old girl who is too young to be romantically involved. I have to roll my eyes sometimes at the abundance of these romantic, sweep you off your feet threads. Hogwarts has turned more into a love shack than a school in my humble opinion. We need some more conflict....and mass threads.

You have a first year.

This has me so excited where do you want to RP name it I'll be there.
Keith Nicholas

Number of posts : 986

Back to top Go down

Post by Saoirse O'Connell Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:28 am

Well, I've been wanting to do a plot where her pet hippogriff appears on Hogwarts grounds out of nowhere...possibly getting her into trouble with a professor, and gaining the unwanted attention of the student populace. If you'd be interested in that, I'll shoot you a pm when I get the thread started; and in honor of trying to keep open threads, the thread with be open. lol
Saoirse O'Connell
Saoirse O'Connell

Number of posts : 53
Special Abilities : Empathy

Back to top Go down

Post by Morrigan Devlin Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:11 am

Here's an open thread for the hippogriff plot:

https://www.pottersarmy.net/t15376-a-pet-s-dedication#349494

Idea time: Could we possibly have a board where we advertise our open plots, so that others can easily find them? Sometimes an open thread doesn't get posted on, merely because it is not seen.
Morrigan Devlin
Morrigan Devlin
Graduate
Graduate

Number of posts : 54

Back to top Go down

Post by Jess Potter Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:21 am

I too, love walls of text. It's what I ask for when i ask for thoughts, opnions and suggestions.
I might make a PM to everyone suggesting that closed threads be limited severely, at least in hogwarts, and hopefully in all public places.

You're all right, banning doesn't work, because sometimes closed threads are necessary. After all, do we not have moments of privacy in RL? Why would it not be the same for RP I suppose.

But thanks so much for all the suggestions going on here guys, and the feedback coming through. I value it all immensely.
Jess Potter
Jess Potter
Gryffindor Graduate
Gryffindor Graduate

Number of posts : 14221
Special Abilities : Wandless Magic, Seer, Flying, Legilimens

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1356010139

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Post by Jaquellene Jack Dyllan Tue Nov 06, 2012 6:37 am

Open Thread Advertisement

I've been thinking of some sort of challenge for awhile now, but it never sticks with me long. I like the idea of it. It's proper motivation.
Jaquellene Jack Dyllan
Jaquellene Jack Dyllan
Gryffindor Graduate
Gryffindor Graduate

Number of posts : 10287
Special Abilities : Occlumency
Occupation : Unspeakable | Beater for the Falmouth Falcons | Deed-Holder of Satan's

https://jackles-feels-feelings.polyvore.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Jess Potter Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:08 am

Oh I like those. How would it be run though? Heads play GM and use their discretion for when it gets out? Certain number of posts = win?
That is a fantastic idea though.

Personally, however, I don't like the idea of an open thread advertiser, I think it adds work for the thread creator, and is unnecessary, when people could just keep their eyes on the latest posts widget, the recent posts or just on the forums themselves.

Of course, i wont discourage it, but personally I wont use it.
Jess Potter
Jess Potter
Gryffindor Graduate
Gryffindor Graduate

Number of posts : 14221
Special Abilities : Wandless Magic, Seer, Flying, Legilimens

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1356010139

Back to top Go down

Post by Jaquellene Jack Dyllan Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:13 am

They don't need to update it. I mean, people can just scroll through the posts, can't they?

How else do you find open threads? I've tried going through each subforum... that sucks. XD
Jaquellene Jack Dyllan
Jaquellene Jack Dyllan
Gryffindor Graduate
Gryffindor Graduate

Number of posts : 10287
Special Abilities : Occlumency
Occupation : Unspeakable | Beater for the Falmouth Falcons | Deed-Holder of Satan's

https://jackles-feels-feelings.polyvore.com/

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top