[OPEN] On Borrowed Time - Page 2
Welcome to Potter’s Army

Welcome to Potter's Army

We have been a Harry Potter Roleplaying site since 2007. If you're an old member we hope you come check out the discord link provided below. And if you're looking for a new roleplaying site, well, we're a little inactive. But every once and a while nostalgia sets in and a few of our alumni members will revisit the old stomping grounds and post together. Remember to stay safe out there. And please feel free to drop a line whenever!

[OPEN] On Borrowed Time - Page 2 Li9olo10

What’s Happening?
Since every few months or so a few of our old members get the inspiration to revisit their old stomping grounds we have decided to keep PA open as a place to revisit old threads and start new ones devoid of any serious overarching plot or setting. Take this time to start any of those really weird threads you never got to make with old friends and make them now! Just remember to come say hello in the chatbox below or in the discord. Links have been provided in the "Comings and Goings" forum as well as the welcome widget above.

[OPEN] On Borrowed Time

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

[OPEN] On Borrowed Time - Page 2 Empty Re: [OPEN] On Borrowed Time

Post by Everly Bardugo Thu May 14, 2015 10:02 pm

Adrienne shrugged as nonchalantly as possible, trying to pretend she wasn't still slightly in shock. Perhaps the alcohol really was getting to her; she would never have wanted to appear so visibly confused or concerned. She may have been the sort to show her emotions without meaning to, but that incompetence was not something she cared to let anyone else see.

"Um," she attempted, her cheeks coloring vibrantly. "Well, the legal side of things has been taken care of. So, yes we've said our 'I do's and all that, but the emotional connection? It doesn't exist, really. It isn't as though we've ever...

"Well."

Adrienne wasn't about to come out and say it, but something told her that Selwyn could figure out what she had on her mind. She wasn't the sort to actually go through with something like that unless she really wanted to, and clearly, with Kaiden, she didn't have the patience to so much as consider it.

"I guess you could say we're stuck because my parents think we care, and his parents are pureblooded and are the kind to be uninterested in a divorce," Adrienne concluded with a sigh, staring down at her glass.
Everly Bardugo
Everly Bardugo
Gryffindor Graduate
Gryffindor Graduate

Number of posts : 2817

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Post by Everly Bardugo Fri May 15, 2015 1:24 am

Adrienne drew in a shocked breath, worry clouding her features. It was something she had been concerned about in the past, but Kaiden had made it quite clear that the intention wasn't there. He was about as into her as she was when it came to him. Particularly in that sense. Something about him seemed slightly off when he replied, but Adrienne didn't really know the nuances of his personality to know if she was reading him right. In the end, it didn't matter if she did or didn't understand him correctly. The conversation was still about her, and she wasn't sure how to change the direction at that point.

"It isn't as though people think we haven't, though, is it? Who in his family's circles would look at us and just go along with it? Particularly his parents? I mean, I think my father has figured out how frequently we argue, but as much as I want to believe you're right, I'm not sure we could actually get away with it," she replied gently, her lips turning down in a sort of pout.

Adrienne shook her head, deciding that, if he could take the time to be serious about her problems, she could at least try to have a bit of faith in him. "There's a part of me that is grateful for him. We live in a house that is... comfortable. I've had rough times with work lately, and goodness knows how long I'll actually be able to keep it up. I thought I would be living on my own, working in a job that would lead somewhere better -- Not married and in some crap job where people can use me to get what they want. It's just... not what I was planning on."

It took a moment, but she realized just how much she was talking about herself. It was something she tried to avoid, if only because it didn't always make her many friends. Besides, she didn't have many pleasant topics to cover. So she sat up straighter, lifting her drink again to draw in a large gulp. If she was going to deal with the whole barmaid ordeal, she would need a bit of help. Setting down the glass, she met his gaze again, hesitating, but lifted a hand before looking to see if she had managed to get the attention of the woman in question. If nothing else, she mused silently, Selwyn could probably get her attention...
Everly Bardugo
Everly Bardugo
Gryffindor Graduate
Gryffindor Graduate

Back to top Go down

Post by Everly Bardugo Fri May 15, 2015 5:09 am

(ooc: I never mind long posts. I often post too much as is XD I just hope mine makes sense; I'm not sure I wrote it very well.)

She coughed slightly into her drink when he replied that he understood the need for an heir. She almost felt bad for him, but she was more astounded at the direction that their conversation had gone than aware of the anxiety she felt for him. That fear was almost immediately overwhelmed by the truth that he chose to level at her. He was right, it could have been worse. But that didn't mean she enjoyed the hand she had been dealt.

Was that an insult? Adrienne couldn't tell, but it made her feel oddly uncomfortable nonetheless. Sure, they disliked each other, but to be told he probably wasn't attracted to her in the least... she wasn't sure if that was meant to be positive or not. Adrienne probably looked slightly affronted, but she didn't truly mean to. He seemed to care about her happiness, which was sort of a new concept outside of her younger brother - the one she was in contact with, anyway - and her parents. She wasn't sure about Kaiden at all.

She had no idea how to respond to that, so she instead watched him turn towards the other woman. Something bizarre was happening and she couldn't really say what it was that she was feeling. Something twisted in her stomach, and she felt her lips part in a sort of confused surprise. If she felt so astounded and he wasn't even paying her any attention, what on earth must that girl have felt. Adrienne wanted to look over and see if the barmaid looked as stuck as she herself felt, but she just couldn't.

When he turned back to her, Adrienne could tell that she was staring and that her skin was flushed. "I-... Um, yes," she replied automatically, blinking several times. She nodded belatedly, registering his claim that he needed to leave for a moment. A part of her really didn't want him to, and she frowned slightly but kept quiet.

As Selwyn left, she followed him with her gaze before shaking her head and trying to clear it. She stared down at the desk, only half surprised when another round of drink showed up at their table and the girl didn't look the least bit concerned about waiting for any sort of payment. Drawing her lower lip between her teeth, Adrienne tried to steady her breathing and focus her thoughts, finding herself more and more frustrated when she couldn't manage it properly.
Everly Bardugo
Everly Bardugo
Gryffindor Graduate
Gryffindor Graduate

Back to top Go down

Post by Everly Bardugo Fri May 15, 2015 5:50 am

Adrienne's chin lifted when he returned, her gaze seeking out his. "It would appear that way, yes," she returned, her manner of speaking far more professional, somehow. She didn't really know how to act after something like that. Particularly since he seemed essentially unaffected.

She had several questions on her lips, waiting to burst free, but she couldn't really bring herself to just put them all out there. Mostly, it was for fear of looking ignorant. But it wasn't as though she had known him well enough during school to understand that this was something he dealt with.

"Um," she started finally. "So that... is what's normal for you? I can't say I expected it to feel like that," Adrienne admitted quietly. "And that was just from sitting nearby. How on earth do you stand it?"
Everly Bardugo
Everly Bardugo
Gryffindor Graduate
Gryffindor Graduate

Back to top Go down

Post by Everly Bardugo Fri May 15, 2015 4:03 pm

Adrienne would claim later that it was her Ravenclaw background. Her need for information. That curiosity was going to genuinely get her into trouble, as much as the cliché irritated her. Her eyes followed his hand, surprised by the apparent show of discomfort. Finally, she just couldn't stand it anymore. She had to ask.

"If that was you not concentrating..." She shook her head, looking for the best way to form her question. "How, um,..." Adrienne glanced down, hesitating. When she spoke again, her gaze jumped up to seek out his. "Intense, I suppose, does it get for someone like me when you really are focused on it?

"I mean.. Provided you know," she clarified hastily, clearing her throat quietly and toying with the handle of her glass. She wasn't sure she could manage the other two as well, but as least they hadn't paid for them.
Everly Bardugo
Everly Bardugo
Gryffindor Graduate
Gryffindor Graduate

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top