MASS THREAD: The Débutante Ball - Page 5
Welcome to Potter’s Army

Welcome to Potter's Army

We have been a Harry Potter Roleplaying site since 2007. If you're an old member we hope you come check out the discord link provided below. And if you're looking for a new roleplaying site, well, we're a little inactive. But every once and a while nostalgia sets in and a few of our alumni members will revisit the old stomping grounds and post together. Remember to stay safe out there. And please feel free to drop a line whenever!

MASS THREAD: The Débutante Ball  - Page 5 Li9olo10

What’s Happening?
Since every few months or so a few of our old members get the inspiration to revisit their old stomping grounds we have decided to keep PA open as a place to revisit old threads and start new ones devoid of any serious overarching plot or setting. Take this time to start any of those really weird threads you never got to make with old friends and make them now! Just remember to come say hello in the chatbox below or in the discord. Links have been provided in the "Comings and Goings" forum as well as the welcome widget above.

MASS THREAD: The Débutante Ball

Page 5 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

MASS THREAD: The Débutante Ball  - Page 5 Empty Re: MASS THREAD: The Débutante Ball

Post by Orla Hughes Sun Mar 17, 2013 10:06 pm

Cerelia was surprised to find Katarina first – a completely unintentional thing and if anything she was the wrong Rookwood. The girls embraced regardless and Cerelia smiled warmly at Kat, actually pleased to see a familiar face. The blonde witch snorted in a rather unladylike fashion and lifted her hands, gesturing to the thrumming crowd as if to say: ‘what do you think?’ Cerelia laughed a little and looked about herself, still scanning for Jude.

Their eyes met and Cerelia’s lips quirked up a little bit. Her eyes drew back to Katarina and she hugged the other girl tightly again before looking around, rising up on her tip-toes a little before telling Kat. “Gosh, I’m sorry. I need to find my father. Gisele is over there I think.” She gestured to the drinks tables. “I’ll be back, Kat.”

Cerelia moved through the crowd towards the doors, her eyes on Jude, but she could feel a different gaze upon her. Unbeknownst to her, Athena Rookwood was watching out of the corner of her eye, her heart in her throat as she felt palpably the true beginning of something great – something important.

Adolphus had lit a cigar. There was no use standing on ceremony. He’d disentangled himself from his useless wife and sent off that idiot daughter of hers in search of a viscount. His sons lingered close but Adolphus wondered why, seeing no use in the boys lingering – they were only collecting dust. Still, he did not complain and busied himself with his whisky, mentally berating the Ministry and their inability to stock anything decent. Still, it’d do. It was better than whatever dry lager the boys were drinking over a game of cards.

The elder man knew Augustus was coming before the younger had even drawn close and Adolphus did not so much as wince when he heard the familiar voice behind him, he merely took a long draw from his cigar and exhaled the smoke in a lazy manner as he watched his daughter exit the ballroom with the Shaw boy that had more to do with his daughter than just business, he reckoned. But he’d deal with that later.

“Indeed they are.” Adolphus drawled lazily before taking a sip of his whisky. “Like springtime lovers finding out what a miracle the broom closet is for the first time.”

Adolphus flicked the ash of his cigar at Caius and his son hissed, looking disapprovingly at his father but saying nothing in response.

“I detest the Ministry,” Adolphus commented airily. “I especially detest that mangy undersecretary but he is proving useful.”

Adolphus ceased grumbling and glanced at Augustus briefly. “She’s not here.” He grunted, looking now at Augustus meaningfully. “She just pitter-pattered out in those lovely little shoes.”

The elder man turned now and flicked his ash into the ash tray this time – instead of his son. “I never said we couldn’t talk, Gus.” Adolphus murmured with a smirk. “You never came to me. You were more than content to speak to my daughter and she you, I do not doubt. Nevertheless, she needed a bit of exercise in diplomacy and you needed a change of company. Spends far too much time in the hills, that girl and you, brooding away in your study.”

Adolphus reached into the pocket of his jacket and took out a silver cigar case. He opened it up and offered one to Augustus.

He took another draw but not as deep as the other, blowing out the smoke to add, “I’m actually glad I got her away before lambing season – there would’ve been no chance then. Merlin...Anyway, I take it you enjoyed Venice. She came back with enough little trinkets to make my wallet weep. The Montolivos were arrogant as usual, I hope? Cerelia has not said much on that front, just that it was a success. I can only assume Mattia was as ... trying as usual.” Adolphus’ eyebrows rose and he looked at Augustus pointedly before taking another sip of his whisky.

The man barked out a laugh and he shook his head. “It’s just an opportunity for her to play dress-up, Augustus. She can’t draw a husband. She’s never been able to. Too bloody skinny, that’s why. Blonde hair too limp. Too tan – too many blemishes from mucking about in the hills. You know, the normal problems with our burdens. Can never shift them. Still, I suppose you won’t have much problem with your Katarina, eh? She’s a beauty. There is luck in Rookwood blood, I’ll swear to that.”

Adolphus did not notice the way Bastien balked. Caius’ foot came down on his brother’s, a silent warning for the other man to sit and not challenge their father. The Ministry was no place to test Adolphus Rookwood’s patience. It was lies, the pair both knew it, and though Caius was more like their father, he too felt sick at Adolphus blaming Cerelia’s ‘blemishes’ on her time on the farm. She was the best one out of everyone that worked the land and she was the daughter of the land owner. Adolphus knew that. He also knew she’d never make a mistake. She got over that when she was little after the first initial bumps and bruises. No, it was a blatant lie, one that made Bastien feel ill. He could see behind his eyelids the twisting serpent down her back and he could remember well the delight his father had taken in drawing that into her flesh. To write it off as her own fault... Bastien could have killed him.

“Still,” Adolphus added. “One can always hope. I can’t sell her on her maidenhood now, though.” Adolphus scoffed and shook his head. “I don’t know what I’ll say if it comes into question. Probably that she was the undersecretary’s slut and deserves no decent marriage so they should find a Weasley to take pity on. Yes, that sounds about right, don’t you think? Seems ironic, though, doesn’t it? She’s like you and me in that respect. She gives up her only selling point in order to get on board of our endeavour a man who is incredibly useful to us. We’d sell our own mother’s to see money lining our pockets in the end and she’s the same. Quite a good thing really.”

Adolphus exhaled another chest-full of smoke and he shrugged his shoulders. “Her cousin is ever an option, though.” He added optimistically. “Ugliest looking git in the entire world. I swear to you. If there’s an ugly tree, he hit every branch on the way down and hit the ground face first when he landed. Terrible. His mother’s gorgeous, though. I, uh..well.” Adolphus smirked a little. “We knew each other well once. Lovely lass. It’s either that, though, or I pack her up and send her to some old batty Wizard in the Netherlands who needs an heir. She’s useless but I don’t hate her that much.” Adolphus chuckled, finding himself funny before drinking again. “I don’t know. What about you, anyway? Or is too soon?”
Orla Hughes
Orla Hughes
Sixth Year Hufflepuff
Sixth Year Hufflepuff

Number of posts : 263

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

MASS THREAD: The Débutante Ball  - Page 5 Empty Re: MASS THREAD: The Débutante Ball

Post by Orla Hughes Sun Mar 17, 2013 10:45 pm

It was not like she had purposely done it. It’s just that Cerelia blocked out now anyone that wasn’t those in her immediate circle – and Ashcrofts certainly didn’t fit that bill.

Glancing over to Jude, she raised her eyebrows quickly before stopping and whirling round to discover that Ashcroft had followed her. She had ignored him, she’d admit that, but she’d thought he’d been more interested in Kat.

Evidently not.

Cerelia was about to open her mouth, to tell him she wasn’t interested, but realised that the white dress and pretty raven sigil broach pinned to her chest said something entirely different.

Pursing her lips instead, Cerelia eyed Shylock curiously before asking, “What do you want?”

Let’s face it, Ravenclaws aren’t the most sociable beings in the world and this one was the epitome of difficult and unsociable.
Orla Hughes
Orla Hughes
Sixth Year Hufflepuff
Sixth Year Hufflepuff

Back to top Go down

Post by Cosmo Barbary Sun Mar 17, 2013 10:48 pm

Penny as spared more alone time with the head of the Dark Followers by the appearance of her best friend, Miss Montague. The girls did not hug, it was far too fancy an event for such 'uncivilized' behavior. She did, however, betray a smile that expressed more relief than joy, though pleasure at finding her friend was not absent. "Audrey! I'm so glad you managed to find me!" She glanced at Liesl. "I mean. I'm pleased to see you!"

She complimented them and Penny smiled. "Thanks. You look absolutely gorgeous - so, you know, the usual." She managed to smile. Audrey asked about what she had missed and Penny opened her mouth to assure her there was nothing - when alarms sounded. Penny turned, staring open eyed at the event unfolding. To see the man allowed to go shocked the Slytherin girl. She turned to comment to her friend, when her foot stumbled.

She slipped backwards, before turning, attempting to straighten herself out. She, however, managed only to fling herself forward, directly colliding with Shylock Ashcroft.
Cosmo Barbary
Cosmo Barbary
Slytherin Prefect
Slytherin Prefect

Number of posts : 243

Back to top Go down

Post by Oliver Olawale Sun Mar 17, 2013 10:54 pm

The alarms had gone off, and Jude had initially withdrawn his wand with the mindset to help. He was torn - how obvious his absence would be if he did not assist the Aurors? However, the distraction was a perfect opportunity to duck out without anyone noticing his departure. However, Elijah Krum was quick to the rescue, and Jude turned, again intent on leaving.

At the door, he turned to check for Cerelia. She was rounding on some teenaged boy who looked keen on following her. He sighed, scanning the crowd. Directly nearby was a trio of girls, one in the middle of turning. In one quick motion, Jude flicked his wand, polishing the ground beneath the girls feet. He felt a flurry of pride as she smashed into the boy, giving Cerelia her opportunity. He jerked his chin, instructing her to take this opportunity to leave. And with that, he exited.
Oliver Olawale
Oliver Olawale
Sixth Year Hufflepuff
Sixth Year Hufflepuff

Number of posts : 210
Special Abilities : Leglimancy

Back to top Go down

Post by Orla Hughes Sun Mar 17, 2013 11:02 pm

Quick as a flash wouldn't have been an accurate description.

As fast as light maybe.

No, just fast.

Cerelia blinked and stepped back as a girl fell back into Shylock and she shot a furtive glance at Jude. A smirk slipped onto Cerelia's mouth when she realised it had been him.

The girl ducked away into the crowd and bustled between people, making her face at the proximity of the bodies.

Lord, she hated crowds.

The girl slipped out through the doors as a handful of people walked in and she followed Jude, casting one last glance over her shoulder before passing through into an adjoining corridor after him.
Orla Hughes
Orla Hughes
Sixth Year Hufflepuff
Sixth Year Hufflepuff

Back to top Go down

Post by Oliver Krum Sun Mar 17, 2013 11:50 pm

From where Oliver stood in the middle of the room he watched a rather important man walk up to the group of aurors and shake hands with the man in the middle. 'Elijah' he thought moving closer as Eli moved away from the group. He smirked and fallowed him silently from a distance. Oli wanted to make his self and his presence known to the family that didn't think he existed. But he didn't dare approach just yet. He probably wouldn't even to so tonight but one day he would
Oliver Krum
Oliver Krum

Number of posts : 209

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Post by Nick Potter Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:39 am

This was too boring. Nick figured he would socialize, but with who. Most people were pure blood and might not even acknowledge him. He couldn't approach Cecilia as she needed space from him. Not Wally as he didn't need hooked on drugs. So he decided to just roam around.

But as soon as he began to walk he bumped into a rather cute girl. He'd seen her around and he was pretty sure her name was Shadow Macnair. "I'm very sorry" he said apologetically. He didn't know what would happen next. Would she embarrass him in front of all these people, or would she ignore him.

Last edited by Nick Potter on Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:28 am; edited 2 times in total
Nick Potter
Nick Potter
Sixth Year Ravenclaw
Sixth Year Ravenclaw

Number of posts : 2915

Back to top Go down

Post by Katarina Rookwood Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:55 am

In the chaos that followed Cerelias departure, Katarina took the opportunity to escape back into the sea of gowns and suits. The last thing she needed was to be associated with the meddlesome little boys and clumsy girls. No, with the little dignity she hoped to preserve she went off in search of Gisele, like Cerelia had suggested. Normally the brunette would have been a bit put off that she had just been ditched but she genuinely believed Cerelia would return. The intensity was in her eyes again, and Katarina had the particular feeling that she was missing something important.

The room had been steadily filling up and Katarina was feeling the slightest by cramped in the middle of the dance floor. She made it across as quickly as possible, giving a quick wave and smile to her brother and Athena as she passed, although she was unsure if they saw her. With a sigh of relief she arrived at the table that Gisele Delacour occupied. Her dorm mate was currently sitting alone but a robe draped on the chair next to her and a handbag saved the seat across the table. Katarina sunk into the chair next to her friend and greeted her warmly.

Gisele had a tall flute of champagne in her hand, which bubbled and glowed a soft gold hue. It was half gone and she had an expression of contentment on her face. "How are you enjoying the party, Miss Rookwood?" she asked, spreading her arms as if to display the room for Kat's benefit.

"It's.. A party." Katarina offered, her tone accurately displaying her lever of enthusiasm for the night.

"It would be more of a party with champagne. Have you had the champagne? No? Waiter!"

It took almost no time at all for Gisele to have procured a identical glass to the one she held in her hand, which she handed to Kat with a wink. "Enjoy yourself, darling. The night is young, you look adorable, and I would bet that you can snag any guy in this room you want. It's not every day the cards stack that highly in your favor."

Katarina sipped her drink, whose bubbles tickled her throat. Amazing. It actually tasted like liquid gold. In the metaphorical, non metallic sense. Maybe Gisele was on to something.
Katarina Rookwood

Number of posts : 133

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top