Now I'm hoping I'll be torn open
Welcome to Potter’s Army

Welcome to Potter's Army

We have been a Harry Potter Roleplaying site since 2007. If you're an old member we hope you come check out the discord link provided below. And if you're looking for a new roleplaying site, well, we're a little inactive. But every once and a while nostalgia sets in and a few of our alumni members will revisit the old stomping grounds and post together. Remember to stay safe out there. And please feel free to drop a line whenever!

Now I'm hoping I'll be torn open Li9olo10

What’s Happening?
Since every few months or so a few of our old members get the inspiration to revisit their old stomping grounds we have decided to keep PA open as a place to revisit old threads and start new ones devoid of any serious overarching plot or setting. Take this time to start any of those really weird threads you never got to make with old friends and make them now! Just remember to come say hello in the chatbox below or in the discord. Links have been provided in the "Comings and Goings" forum as well as the welcome widget above.

Now I'm hoping I'll be torn open

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Now I'm hoping I'll be torn open Empty Re: Now I'm hoping I'll be torn open

Post by Solstice Cane Wed Dec 09, 2015 4:15 am

Solstice had been working on an herbal poultice for a kneazle that had an infected leg wound. She heard someone call from the store front, so she laid aside her knife and picked up a towel to wipe her hands with as she came out of the back room.

She wasn't exactly looking the part of an oracle today. She wasn't interested in costuming. She preferred her jeans with a long, crocheted duster sweater over a printed top. Almost hidden by the top was an assortment of small natural healing stones on three fine small chains around her neck. The more noticeable necklace was the flawless double terminated master crystal. She preferred the clear, colorless quartz, but it was also a part of her work. It was just easier to wear it.

"Oh, hello," she said with a smile to the customer. She laid the towel on the countertop. "May I help you?"
Solstice Cane
Solstice Cane
Hufflepuff Graduate
Hufflepuff Graduate

Number of posts : 36
Special Abilities : Energy Worker, Medium, Heightened Sensitivity, Speaking to Birds

Back to top Go down

Post by Solstice Cane Sun Dec 20, 2015 5:03 am

"Nice to meet you," she said, "I'm Solstice. I'd be happy to see to your dog's claws. I could do it today for you if you'd like, if you've got the time."

She loved big dogs like this one. She didn't see Newfoundlands every day, but the few she'd seen were gentle and had seemed to have a good bond with their owners. Besides, the big dogs she'd worked with seemed to not have a need to try to assert themselves and just didn't seem to stress about their position in their households. Solstice liked almost all animals, but sometimes the hyperactive behaviors of yappy little dogs required a bit more patience. "You've got a good looking dog. I'm partial to the bigger breeds, actually."

She saw the plant he held. "I do like plants--quite a lot," she said.
Solstice Cane
Solstice Cane
Hufflepuff Graduate
Hufflepuff Graduate

Special Abilities : Energy Worker, Medium, Heightened Sensitivity, Speaking to Birds

Back to top Go down

Post by Solstice Cane Mon Jan 11, 2016 5:25 am

(omigosh. found this again when i logged in as solstice. i am sooo sorry its so late!)

She smiled, seeing the plant. "I do indeed," she said, taking the plant. "I don't see a lot of malaria these days, but it works splendidly for a couple potions. And I have some very old formulas for some medicinal potions--not widely requested things, as it goes, except for some of the old folks who remember things used in days gone by. Still, there is a demand for it." She checked the soil to see if it needed water. It didn't. She set it on a windowsill with, at the moment, some indirect sunlight. It would have to do until later. She preferred the plant be up high, out of the reach of most of the animals that sometimes slipped out of the back, and she certainly wanted it out of the reach of customers. A few days of attention, and she felt the plant might start to bush out and fill itself in a bit more.

"Thank you," she said. "You're welcome for some tea while I trim your dog, or....no. I don't think that's maybe your style, is it?" she said, not having missed the markers he carried of the common heritage they shared. She tried not to call anyone out on what their genetics had given them, but, here, she was relatively alone. There weren't many veelas around. Not that she knew of. "Do you prefer coffee?" she asked politely. "I could put a pot on, if you want. Might be nice to warm up, especially with the snow coming."

She caught herself. Her Daily Prophet was still rolled up, untouched. She hadn't read the daily weather yet. In fact, the last five Daily Prophets were still unopened on the credenza behind her counter. She'd seen what looked like a heavy snowfall that seemed destined for either late afternoon or overnight. Last night in one of her palantirs it had seemed so clear. Explaining it to others always felt awkward if they weren't in her inner circle of those she trusted. But she had questions she wanted to ask him. Did she get the same sorts of attention and questions and suspicions that she got? How did he deal with it? She refocused on the dog.

She petted the enormous dog with one hand, while reaching into the pocket of her shop apron with the other. She laid four little training treats on the counter. Two of them were sort of pumpkin shaped,--like thick coins, and they were orange colored. The other two were shaped more like simple outlines of peanuts. "Training treats," she said. "Pumpkin Apple," she pointed to the roundish ones. "And Banana Peanut Butter. All organic, all homemade. Might I give him a couple while I trim him?"
Solstice Cane
Solstice Cane
Hufflepuff Graduate
Hufflepuff Graduate

Back to top Go down

Post by Solstice Cane Sun Feb 14, 2016 2:02 am

"No problem at all," she smiled, taking the bag. She opened it and smelled. It had a signature all its own, and it was familiar and comforting, reminding her of home. Okay, so he might as well have hung a sign around his neck announcing his veela heritage.

"One of my all time favorites," she smiled. "This is a lovely blend of it too. I'll put it on to brew." She set the bag on the counter and flicked her wand at it to brew it.

Then she went out to address the dog and his nails, and she knelt down and put a pumpkin treat in her open palm and offered it to the large dog. She hesitated before she asked him her question, and she was relatively sure he'd understand the cloaked references. She'd always been included, more or less, with both her mother's family and her father's. The farther she got from family connections, though, the more she felt like people paid more attention to the veela part of her than the human half, as if she were a curiosity. It was disconcerting at times.

"So, tell me, do you ever feel like the odd one out?" she asked, keeping her eyes on the dog and drawing the clippers out of her pocket. "There aren't many of us. I'm not sure people always know what to do with the 'less familiar' parts of us."
Solstice Cane
Solstice Cane
Hufflepuff Graduate
Hufflepuff Graduate

Back to top Go down

Post by Solstice Cane Sun Feb 14, 2016 3:49 am

"Gender?" she frowned for a moment and then returned to clipping the dog. "Why should anyone care about that? Oh, never mind. I should get it. People always seem to have unending armchair opinions about what they don't understand.

"I guess that's sort of why I don't hide that I'm half Romani. I embrace it, and, I admit I distort it into the stereotype to some extent. I draw the line at putting a vardo in the garden, though. If they're distracted by going to see the 'gypsy woman,' then they sort of forget that I'm half Veela. It feels a little easier for me, weird as that sounds. That, and I guess I'm more okay with that exploitation because my family knows and they're good with it."

She had had more than one discussion where her father had shaken his finger at her, rebuking her for getting her feathers ruffled, saying, "Solstice, never be ashamed of what earns you a respectable, honest wage." So far, though, being part Veela hadn't earned her a single sickle, not unless she could figure out how to set a cover charge for people coming to gawk.
Solstice Cane
Solstice Cane
Hufflepuff Graduate
Hufflepuff Graduate

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top