A Vineyard Wedding
Welcome to Potter’s Army

Welcome to Potter's Army

We have been a Harry Potter Roleplaying site since 2007. If you're an old member we hope you come check out the discord link provided below. And if you're looking for a new roleplaying site, well, we're a little inactive. But every once and a while nostalgia sets in and a few of our alumni members will revisit the old stomping grounds and post together. Remember to stay safe out there. And please feel free to drop a line whenever!

A Vineyard Wedding Li9olo10

What’s Happening?
Since every few months or so a few of our old members get the inspiration to revisit their old stomping grounds we have decided to keep PA open as a place to revisit old threads and start new ones devoid of any serious overarching plot or setting. Take this time to start any of those really weird threads you never got to make with old friends and make them now! Just remember to come say hello in the chatbox below or in the discord. Links have been provided in the "Comings and Goings" forum as well as the welcome widget above.

A Vineyard Wedding

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

A Vineyard Wedding Empty A Vineyard Wedding

Post by Lucien Holt Tue Dec 10, 2013 4:26 am

“Is this really happening?”

Keiran sat with his feet up on one of the chairs in Avery's room, much like she had done on his wedding day. He grinned at the sight of her in her dress – she had chosen well, and he could admit that she was nearly as lovely and his own bride had been. If anything else had run through his mind, Keiran had a feeling Milile would have known and gotten onto him about it. The idea made him smile.

Realizing he had not answered the blonde's question, he looked over his shoulder to view her head on, rather than through the mirror's reflection. She looked oddly downcast for someone on their wedding day, and Keiran wondered for a moment if that was about how he had looked when it was time for his and Millie's wedding.

“Yes, dearie. It's happening.” Keiran replied quietly. “And you look entirely lovely.” He extended a hand in search of hers, still twisted around in his chair. Avery placed her hand in his and moved to stand next to him, eyeing him carefully from above. “What's wrong? You must be glad you know him. Think of me and Missie. We didn't know each other at all, really.”

“But look at you, already using nicknames and getting on splendidly.” Avery teased lightly, happy to take the focus off of herself for a moment. Without her parents around, it was hard to keep from wondering what they would have done. Sure, Bridget and Aiden had offered to pay for the entire thing, but Robin was having none of it. In the end, they had paid for food. Avery couldn't help but feel guilty about the whole thing, what with their just having covered the greater part of Keiran's wedding as well. But Aiden definitely had a good share of money through his potions research, so he had finally convinced them that it was alright.

Keiran was talking – something about how he was quite sure she was going to be fine with Robin. Even if Avery wasn't so sure Robin was going to be fine with her. After the fight at Robin's during brunch, Avery had been convinced the two would never make up. She wasn't certain that she and Keiran were even quite the same as they were before. She had technically hurt herself with her words, but Keiran certainly hadn't been a huge help with his silence and cold looks.

He tugged on her hand, getting her attention fully. “Ree. I don't understand why you're so scared. You two get on so well. And wasn't it you who said your name was lovely with his or sommat?”

Avery frowned, staring at the ground. He was right, in a way. They did get on well. Bridget had observed the two on occasion, and once told Avery that she loved the way they looked at each other. Like the wedding had been their own idea. Except that it clearly hadn't. When she got the first owl from him during work about looking for wedding bands, Avery understood that he didn't plan on proposing separate from the Ministry's requirement. It didn't surprise her, really, so she had not said anything, letting the idea go.

“I invited Claire.”

“You what?” He asked, feet dropping from the chair across from him and slamming into the floor as he sat up in shock. “Why?”

“She's family, Keiran. Who doesn't want their sister at their wedding? I just.. should have asked Robin about it. What if he's angry with me? What if...” She couldn't finish the thought aloud, but in her head she swallowed and said it anyways. What if he realizes it wasn't me he liked, but rather that I reminded him of her? The panic was real.

Avery dropped his hand and walked to stand by the door, arms crossing over herself protectively. “She may not even come, Avery.”

“That doesn't make it better.” Avery snapped, shooting him an annoyed look over her shoulder as he stood. It was obvious that she couldn't be reasoned with. Keiran didn't really understand exactly what the problem was, but something told him that Avery couldn't explain without hurting herself or crying. He didn't want either of those things, especially after their fight a few weeks ago.

“Look,” Keiran began, his hand moving to the door handle. “I think you need to talk with Gavin. Two views on this whole thing. Maybe he can convince you that whatever is wrong isn't really wrong.”

Avery pouted at him carefully, but didn't say no. The door opened and she peeked out, anxious for a glance of anyone who might be milling about. Her eyes landed on Robin and she gasped loudly, slamming the door. She couldn't look at him without feeling the dread in her stomach.

If there was one thing Avery had learned in her life it was that if she loved something, it would disappear, and if she loved someone, they would leave. The only person who hadn't left was Keiran, but even still, her fights with him as well as their now-awkward conversations made her nervous that he would. It was perhaps an irrational fear, but as far as Avery knew, it was the truth. What she really needed was for someone to prove her wrong. Sitting down in the chair, she buried her head in her hands and fought off the wave of tears that wanted to run down her cheeks.

Keiran heard the door slam and winced, shooting an apologetic and embarrassed glance at Robin and those he was standing with. Looking around, he did his best to keep from attracting attention in his search for Avery's other dear friend, a Mr. Blackmoor. After ambling around the main hall of the house on the vineyard, Keiran finally found Gavin standing next to a relatively short brunette he knew surprisingly well.

Keiran still couldn't believe that Audriana Swan had managed to find Gavin Blackmoor after Hogwarts – it was even more surprising that she was hanging on his arm as though she was meant to be there. That, indeed, was quite surprising. His thoughts strayed to their days in school when she convinced him to pretend they were closer than they really were. Both of them had their reasons, though nothing ever truly happened between them.

Although he was wont to walk up to the two of them – surely Gavin knew by now exactly what had happened between Audriana and the older man – but he wasn't about to leave Avery on her own. Not when she most needed someone. Pushing the frown off of his face, Keiran walked over to the table the two stood next to. “Gavin. Audriana.” He greeted, ignoring his temptation to use the nickname he had given Aud in her sixth – his seventh – year.

He nodded in Aud's direction, saying, “Forgive me, but Avery needs to talk to Gavin.” Keiran gestured with a hand in the direction of Avery's room. His eyes met his mum's as he started in the direction of her room without looking to see if Gavin followed. The men weren't good friends, but they did their best to get on for Avery's sake – especially today.

Audriana looked up at Gavin in a moment of surprise but said nothing. She knew that during University, Avery and Gavin had bonded through classes and the two had remained incredibly close. Gavin called Avery his little sister whenever she was mentioned, though Avery wasn't very close to the rest of his family. Aud didn't question his needing to go off, so when he left it wasn't so very strange. She was, however, at a loss for what to do with herself after that. She didn't really have many friends as it were, and much of her time had been spent alone after Hogwarts. Perhaps if she had changed her mind and had gone to University, it wouldn't have felt so isolating. Frowning, Aud headed out of the side doors of the house and began ambling around the vineyard where the wedding ceremony was to take place.

Keiran held a hand out to stop Gavin once he realized the other man was following. “Something is wrong, but she won't admit it aloud. Not to me anyways. I can't see her doing this without getting rid of this fear of... whatever it is.” He shook his head and glanced cautiously at Robin, knowing the man might be able to hear them. Keiran hoped that wasn't the case.

He waited for Gavin to agree and head towards Avery's room before making his way over to Robin and the folks he was talking with. "About ready, mate?" He asked, doing whatever he could to make off like things were going completely properly. Even if Robin had caught onto what they were saying earlier, there was no need for anyone else to be nervous about it.

Last edited by Keiran Hayes on Thu Dec 12, 2013 6:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
Lucien Holt

Number of posts : 612
Special Abilities : Seer l Heightened Sensitivity

Back to top Go down

A Vineyard Wedding Empty Re: A Vineyard Wedding

Post by Melissa Finnigan Tue Dec 10, 2013 9:20 pm

Easily, the worst thing you can ever do is attend a wedding where your own husband is consoling the bride and beyond his parents who you’re not entirely sure like you anyway beyond the niceties sensible society required there was no one else you knew in the world, seemingly.

Millie had been foolish enough to go to said wedding, to marry a man who was busy consoling the bride and, indeed, as nice as his parents were she wasn’t entirely sure they liked her. Bridget was nice but Aiden was a bit cold and odd and Millie completely understood why because who wanted to put up with a daughter-in-law who was, largely, a complete failure in direct contrast to their immensely successful son - no one, right?

So, that was what she was faced with, rocking back and forth on sparkly heels wondering why in the world her life had brought her to this point - and no, she didn’t know anyone.

Millie had set herself just off from Kieran’s parents and the couple beside them so she was half-with them and half-not. She found amusement in the decor and grouping the guests by colour and height of heels on shoes rather than by bride or bridegroom. That was the extent to which she was ignored/having no input in the conversations - she was categorising.

“That’s not purple, that’s mauve,” a familiar voice broke her train of thought and Millie turned to see the familiar, newly acquired figure of Cordella Quinn who smiled sardonically through the visage of a different creature.

“That is two people, nearly,” Millie shot back, smiling as she moved fully to face her friend’s wife, the ring that announced which sitting primly and perfectly on her left hand. Millie looped her fingers with Cordella’s and swung them happily before releasing and making to embrace the dark-haired, sorry, blonde, woman.

Cordella laughed, “It’s Carrie today, for the benefit of the naive,” she confided in Millie’s ear before pulling back to appraise the vision before her. “You look very Daisy Fay, my darling. Is Kieran a big brute, tell me? Let me inspect your fingers, if I find as much as scratch I’ll find you a Gatsby, sweetheart, I swear.”

“Oh, bog off you old flirt!” Millie laughed, stealing back her hands as Della reached to inspect them. “What are you then, my Nick Carraway?” She inquired.

Della grinned, “So you have read it! Here I was thinking you hadn’t. My little holiday gave me a lot of time to read, sweet. Was it you who leant Gis that book in the first place?” Millie nodded. “Well aren’t you well read, then?”

“Hardly,” Millie snorted. “Here and there, I suppose but I’m not a big reader.”

Della’s eyebrows arched. “So, Fitzgerald’s just light reading, I suppose?”

Millie grinned. “Naturally,” she retorted. “Where’s Gisabelle?”

“My lady wife is busying herself with whatever it is women do while at weddings trying to impress,” Cordella remarked tartly as though it was a great struggle she faced - though her expression betrayed her amusement. “Where’s Tom?”

“Kieran,” Millie frowned.

“Today he’s Tom because you’re Daisy and I’m Nick and Gis is Jordan. We’ll cry and sob when we find out who Gatsby, Myrtle and George are but for now we’ll have fun.”

“Gatsby, what Gatsby?” Millie mocked with a laugh. “‘Tom’ is seeing to Avery.”

Cordella nodded thoughtfully. “Then you’ll sit with me, cousin Fay and we’ll wait in spectacular fashion for our lovers and you can tell me all about what Tom is like in bed because one would think that with all that polo he plays he’d be a strong, forceful lover. Let’s go.”

And with that said, the gossipy Cordella-cum-Nick dragged off Daisy-cum-Millie and the pair gossiped amongst themselves for a while until tradition dictated the formation of some sort of order.
Melissa Finnigan
Melissa Finnigan
Seventh Year Gryffindor
Seventh Year Gryffindor

Number of posts : 669
Special Abilities : Seer

Back to top Go down

Post by James S Potter Tue Dec 10, 2013 10:02 pm

An Ivanov wedding was always a bizarre and interesting event but never in a million years had Cael stopped to ponder over what Robin’s wedding would be like because he’d never imagined that Robin would actually ever have one. It turned out that not only was he going to have one but the Ministry hated him enough to give him a Bishop and it pleased Ivanov to no end to see that it was the other sister - as though their esteemed government felt that Robin needed to give both a go and then choose. However, they’d made that choice for him: it was Avery or Azkaban and it didn’t take a genius to work out which one was the more preferable - and no, it wasn’t Azkaban.

Having donned a tuxedo, as was the way the world demanded him to dress, Cael made his way to the wedding which was bound to either go well on a fantastic scale or awfully to the detriment to all of those involved. He was part of a party of those who had chosen to attend. A mixture of excuses for many family members met his ears and Cael could not help but stare dismayingly at those who greeted him with them - as if by some strange stroke he was the person to whom all of these lies could be pitted because he was some go between for their family and Robin. Cael wasn’t going to sugar-coat it for their relations either: if they weren’t here, they could apologise and buy Robin something nice later. Naturally, that wasn’t met with much enthusiasm.

Still, what Cael was enthusiastic about was the fact that his baby cousin was getting married. It was progress but that didn’t make his bachelorhood and easier thing for his mother to bear. In fact, finding out that Robin was getting married had meant that a dozen letters had been sent off to her ‘baby son’ asking him why he hadn’t gotten married and why he hadn’t had any children and why hadn’t he settled down instead of gallivanting around the world and why didn’t he write back all those months ago while he was laying in a field hospital nursing a bullet wound and wounded pride? How dare he?

Thankfully, also, he had a date. A new friend of his had been made at Quidditch and as a result they became book and baking buddies which mashed up to becoming ‘Booking Buddies’ but it didn’t sound as endearing as ‘Book and Baking Buddies’ - in fact, it was pretty much just a ridiculous mouthful of words. Nevertheless, Cael arrived at his cousin’s wedding with Mairen and found his self settle a little bit with someone around to talk to who wasn’t his and Robin’s great-great-great uncle Malcolm Ginger III or something. But he would have to show her off - as was expected.

“Alright, I see Millie and Kier must be around here somewhere. Actually, he’s probably with Avery.” Cael rambled brightly, looking down at Mairen with a smile. “Welcome to the madhouse, darlin’.”

James S Potter
James S Potter
Gryffindor Graduate
Gryffindor Graduate

Number of posts : 109
Special Abilities : Animagus, Parselmouth

Back to top Go down

Post by Robin Ivanov Wed Dec 11, 2013 4:04 am

This was the first morning in months that Robin had woken before dawn. His sleep had been restless and after getting up at some ungodly hour he wondered if he had ever truly drifted off at all. For the most part he had been good natured about the Ministry playing matchmaker but the closer the wedding date had gotten the more he had shifted from begrudging acceptance to, more or less, mild panic.

Robin had gotten dressed in his tux many hours ago and had spent the morning effectively distracting himself with entertaining the constant stream of arriving Ivanovs. His mother had arrived first, Misha in tow. The brothers had exchanged small talk and formalities while his mother fussed around the room, making comments about everything from his tie color to the flowers in a last minute attempt to put her own mark on her son's wedding. Gwendolyn had only left Robin's dressing room on the arrival of Caspian and Sonia from Hogwarts when she had disappeared like a ghost, off to interrogate them about their lives at school.

Misha had wisely made some efforts to hide liqueur from Robins room and as a result by midmorning the middle Ivanov son was still remarkably sober. In exchange for him being in the right mind they had created a nervous creature who paced his room in disconcerting silence punctuated by rambling outbursts of whatever had randomly popped into his head. By the time Keiran arrived at his door he had never been more ready to get something started. Robin wasn't sure if it was the wedding, the presence of his family, or the fact he hadn't eaten in almost twenty hours, but he was definitely starting to feel kindly ill. The sooner you start, the sooner it's over. This time tomorrow you'll be in Greece.

Robin simply laughed at Keiran's question. "As ready as I could be." Misha glanced over at Keiran, his eyebrows arching slightly as he observed the other man. The two hadn't really been introduced (Dublin and Moscow were two worlds Robin actively tried to keep separate) but from the stories that had circulated about the best mates his brother had already made his judgements. Disapproval seemed to lace Misha's every word and glance but Robin couldn't bring himself to be bothered. There were a thousand other things on his mind today and a broody, over-expectant family didn't even make the top five.

"What about the bride? She okay?" he asked, needing some news of reassurance. For all the discomfort the idea of a wedding was bringing him there was only one good thing coming out of it. Avery would be waiting at the end of that aisle.

- - -

For Gavin, this still didn't feel real. How could Avery, the girl who was practically his baby sister, be getting married? It didn't feel right, especially not to a guy like Robin Ivanov. Lye hadn't been able to ignore the remaining feelings of hostility and mistrust from New York and throughout the rehearsal dinner there had been more than one occasion where he had been whacked by Avery with a command to 'be nice'.

Gavin had been surprised that Audriana had wanted to attend with him. He hadn't talked to her too deeply about what went down between her and Ivanov but there was some obvious history between them. He could see it in her face when Robin was mentioned. Still, it made his whole job easier to have Aud here and she had become something of a rock as he dealt with a stressed bride, being a bridesman, and accepting the idea of Avery losing her last name.

When Keiran came and grabbed him, Gavin nodded, giving Aud a kiss on the cheek and promise of a quick return before chasing after the Slytherin boy to the bridal suite. He knocked softly and pushed the door open without waiting for a response. Gavin swallowed as he saw her. She looked absolutely stunning but, just like Keiran had said, it was obvious something was wrong. She didn't look like you were supposed to on your wedding day.

"Avery" he breathed, moving across the room and sweeping her into a tight hug. "You look so beautiful."

((I'm sorry this is so vague and bad. I'm just about to fall asleep and figured something is better than nothing. Gis is off doing something. If anyone wants to talk to her GM away.))
Robin Ivanov

Number of posts : 428

Back to top Go down

Post by Avery Bishop Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:51 pm

((OOC: I may kind of jump around a bit in this, since I'm trying to write all four characters at the same time, as well as trying to keep the actions in order. May not work.))

Mairen was easily one of the younger guests milling about the vineyard. Stranger still, the man claiming her as his date was at least ten years older than herself. She wasn't complaining, really, as he was one of her newest friends – of which she had few, considering her father usually brought her cling-ons rather than people truly interested in her. Besides, Ivanov wasn't bad looking, either. Well, the one she was with anyway. She hadn't gotten much time to observe the rest of his rather large family as they had only just arrived.

If Mai was being honest with herself, really, she would have admitted to feeling quite out of place in the vast vineyard and large house that the wedding party and guests were stationed in until the actual ceremony. But she tended to feel rather like an outsider at any given time of day, what with her basic inability to trust that people would be interested in her for her own personality rather than her parents' money (which she refused to use if she could help it) or her potential of becoming much like her father, only with voice rather than cello.

Mairen brushed down the skirt of the red dress she wore, carefully checking that the pleats hadn't gone all wonky. She wasn't entirely sure why Cael had asked her to attend with him, but at least if she was going to a wedding she had someone who she could reasonably force to dance with her. She doubted that by the end of the night, even, she would know anyone else. She hoped Cael was in the mood to put up with her prattling on about this and that – it always got worse when she felt uncomfortable (though, frankly, she tended to accept situations before allowing herself to worry).

Cael spoke, drawing her attention from the general grandeur of the house that Avery and Robin had rented out for the afternoon and evening. “I'm sure your friends are around here somewhere. Where else would they be?” She smiled in return.

“Well, thank you. Though I dare say that man over there is eyeing us strangely. Do you know him? He just walked in.” Mairen gestured to a tall man with scruff covering his chin, wearing a well-cut suit and lifting a sardonic eyebrow at Cael.

- - -

Keiran knew full well how nervous Robin probably was about the whole wedding, considering that Keiran had been less than comfortable with the situation to begin with. Although he knew it wasn't fair, the older man also knew neither of them had ever had the option of getting out of this trap the Ministry had laid for them. Hayes had decided the moment Avery's hands had fallen and her exit had begun that he was not going to make it harder on them than he already had. Melissa had given him the most surprisingly thorough scolding with just a few words. Somehow, aside from what he already knew was shame bubbling up inside of him, her disappointment had made him careful about anything and everything he said to anyone for those next few weeks up until the wedding.

Robin's laugh wasn't as reassuring as Keiran had hoped, or as light hearted as it usually was, but that was to be expected, he supposed. As much as he wanted to just claim that everything was perfect, Keiran knew that it would come back to haunt him if he told Robin that Avery was just perfect. Later, when they talked after the ceremony, the two would need to seek comfort in each other if they wanted to move past whatever was eating Avery and whatever made Robin nervous about the whole thing. He just hoped they saw it that way, and that he was right. If not, he was about to be in a mess of trouble.

“I won't lie, mate, she's been better.” He frowned, glancing away for a moment. “But I think we expected as much when this whole thing started. You should talk to her later – she won't tell me what's making her nervous, but I figure she'd be able to talk to you. After I messed up... well, it's not quite the same, is it? Gavin is with her, now.”

Frowning at the end of his sudden and unexpected (even by himself) confession, Keiran lifted a hand to rub the back of his neck. “They need you out there and ready in five, is that good?”

After catching Robin's affirmation, Keiran moved out to the main room again, greeting people here and there. Although he had intended to get Millie's attention and pull her away for a moment – if only to hug her to him and try to convince himself that guilt wasn't a lasting problem – he saw that she was among her friends and seemingly have a brand time about it. For a Slytherin, Keiran mused, he was incredibly uncomfortable with the idea of having hurt someone close to him, or feeling that guilt that gnawed at him.

Looking around, he caught sight of another Ivanov – one he perhaps didn't know quite as well as Robin, but one he spent a good amount of time with, regardless. Usually with Robin in tow. Standing next to Cael, however, was a girl Keiran had never seen before. She looked younger than Cael, though he could not guess by how much as she wasn't facing him. As if she heard his thoughts, she looked up and met his eyes before turning quickly and saying something to Ivanov.

Keiran smiled to himself – had Cael found someone he truly liked, or was he toying with the idea of following it what the professor might call his and Robin's footsteps? The two best friends were known to go out drinking and not worry too much about the women that might be at the bar. Whomever this girl was, she didn't look like someone he would have picked up in that space of time, over a month ago now, when he was a rather different man.

“Cael,” Kerian called. He would have preferred to use the elder man's surname, but with so very many Ivanovs running about, he had a feeling that would not have helped. “Who have you brought with you?”

Mairen extended a hand, clearly comfortable with introducing herself. “Mairen Tierney,” She offered by way of greeting, avoiding any mention of her paternal last name. “I work at the Ministry, but met Cael, here, a while back through a Quidditch match and we've been mates ever since.”

Keiran took the hand deftly and shook it twice before letting her return the hand to Cael's arm which she had managed to wrap both of her own arms around. Keiran wondered if the girl knew anyone at all from the way she kept close to Cael, but thought it best not to ask. She seemed open and talkative enough that she would surely get on fine.

“Ceremony starts in a few, if you two want to head out and find a place to sit for her? You'll need to be up at the altar with Gavin once he gets out.” Keiran suggested, gesturing to a door that led out to the bit of the vineyard they had set up with chairs and sheer material-covered fabric that would allow light but hopefully keep out any serious heat during the ceremony. Robin had asked Cael to be a groomsman, which left Mairen to attempt to befriend someone whilst her date, or whatever he was, prepared for the important part of the day to begin.

He waited for them to head towards the door before searching once more for Millie. She and her friend had seemingly calmed from their excitable laughter as Keiran approached from behind. His arms snaked around her wait as he leaned down so his mouth was next to her ear. “It's nearly time. We should head outside.”

Looking up at the other girl, Keiran extended a hand from behind Millie and allowed one of his near face-splitting grins. “'Ello.” She looked rather familiar – someone from Hogwarts? He couldn't tell. Deciding not to tempt fate into proving him wrong, he figured the best way to go would be to drop the Professor bit. “Keiran Hayes.”

- - -

After Gavin left to find Avery, Audriana wandered about, catching on after a few minutes that it was time to sit and get comfortable. As Gavin was part of the wedding party, she would be required to sit and hopefully find someone she could talk with. Upon making her way to the near-front of the seating area, Aud chose a seat in the fourth row, on the side that would belong to Avery's party – Gavin had subtly mentioned that Robin would have a rather expansive group of attendees on his side, where Avery was not sure her family could attend. Audriana figured that seeing more faces there for you would certainly ease her mind, if only in a small way.

A girl with nearly red hair, that was more brown in the light from outside, sat down and passed Aud a smile and a wave. This girl didn't seem to know anyone either. Doing her best not to be at all awkward about it, Aud moved over to sit beside her and introduce herself.

- - -

It wasn't two minutes before her door opened again and Avery tried her best to look upbeat, if only for Gavin's sake, as he came forward to pull her into his arms. His comment made her cheeks flush where Keiran's couldn't – something about Gavin's acting as her older brother rather than Keiran acting as her younger on most occasions – made it feel different. While they were both protective and careful, Keiran often didn't think through his reactions to things if they involved her.

“Thank you, hun.” She murmured as her head rested on his shoulder within his embrace, careful of her hair and makeup. Avery didn't care how many times Keiran or Bridget said it wouldn't matter, that she would look lovely no matter what, Avery would not be going out with ruined makeup (or none, as far as Bridget was concerned) to her wedding.

“I hope everyone is alright out there.” Avery said as they pulled apart, brushing her hand up and down his arm as though she could comfort him instead of the other way around. She liked to think it would pull his attention from her to those waiting for the event to start.

She suddenly wished there was a clock about, as she wasn't even sure what time it was, nor how long she had until she had to pull out her vows and hope they didn't make her sound ridiculous. They surely would, if anyone in either party knew what she was quoting. It would be rather embarrassing, even if Jane Austen could sum up what she believed her feelings were – or could be – better than she could on her own. If Avery was being honest, it wasn't hard to notice that she adored Robin. But the real question, then, became if it was love or her subconscious doing its damndest to make the match work. Surely it had to be more than that?

“We're not late are we?” Avery asked, glancing at the door. She couldn't bear the thought of Robin standing there and wondering if something was wrong. It wasn't so much that she thought he'd be offended but more that there was no need to embarrass both parties by acting like she was going to walk out. Not that either had a choice, really.
Avery Bishop
Avery Bishop
Durmstrang Graduate
Durmstrang Graduate

Number of posts : 575

Back to top Go down

Post by Melissa Finnigan Thu Dec 12, 2013 6:14 pm

(OOC: another phone post. :3)

It occurred to Millie upon the resurfacing of her husband that he was one of many not 'in the know.' The more she thought about it, the more it sounded like a conspiracy. Robin had orchestrated it all. Millie had gone and done a dashed-awful thing and saw through it by the way Cordella both held herself and took to Gisele so easily.

Robin's wife to be knew nothing of it and it concerned Millie on two counts that Kieran didn't, either. She didn't know whether it was worth letting him know or whether it was folly and to do so would only put them all in harm's way. Della had her own revenge to dole out. If she needed to worry after loose ends too then nothing would get done.

Regardless, Millie couldn't help but smile brightly at the sight of him, as though her lips were masters of themselves, of their own accord. Her hands moved to cover his and she twisted her head briefly to clap a light kiss to his cheek.

"It's cold outside," she protested quietly, her words for Kieran's ears. "Who is going to keep me warm?"

It was Della's countenance that would be tested anew. The blonde woman smiled and extended her hand for the custom. She twitched a throwaway eye in Millie's direction and the latter minutely shook her head. Della straightened herself, then, and adjusted her introduction accordingly.

"Carrie Quinton," Della drawled, ever the actress. She retracted her hand afterwards and added, "I've heard all about you. Mills is a sharp one but you've got your work cut out."

Millie opened her mouth to protest but before she could she was overtaken by a new entrant to the conversation to whom they were all irrevocably tied.

"She's right," Elijah Krum cut in, an easy smile alighting over his lips as his gaze took to Millie. "Melissa Finnigan. My runaway secretary. You are coming back to me aren't you?"

The possessive language was not what riled Millie but she steamed over the deliberate use of her maiden surname when both of them knew better. However, she smiled easily and cast a glance over at Della whose wand hand had curled against her side.

"I take objection to you using my maiden name," Millie ground out, her voice sickly sweet.

Elijah's eyebrows rose and it was then that he seemed to take note of Kieran.

"My apologies, Mister and Missus Hayes. Ignore me. You didn't answer my question though, Mills."

Della needed to leave. Two scenarios had already presented themselves to Millie and while she acquiesced, promising to return to the Ministry the following week for a few hours every day, she kept one wary eye on Della. There was blood on Krum's hands but it was his Della wanted on hers.

"Krum," the unmistakable bark of Theodore Rookwood seemed to remind them all how small the world they lived in actually was. Behind the Rookwood man strode Cael Ivanov and together they looked truly terrifying. One was a man with conscience, though -- the other, Rookwood to the core, saw nothing other than dry, boring necessity in murder.

"Yes Theo?" Elijah waxed innocently.

"Leave my student alone and get up to the alter will you?" Theodore's eyes narrowed and Millie saw for the first time who exactly wore the trousers in that relationship and it wasn't Eli.

"C'mon, Ell." Cael was the softer mediator and it was with him that Elijah went, breezing past Theodore with an open glare. The two disappeared into the milling crowd and Theodore took a moment to take stock of the two blondes and his employee.

"Might I remind you, little lion, that you can't play on both sides of the line?" He gruffed out.

"Whatever do you mean, Headmaster?" Millie asked dryly.

"I mean that here, in this room, every man is guilty of some crime or another. Mine is murder. Robin's is theft, generally, though we can never be quite sure. Cael's is murder. Elijah's is murder as well as the destruction of sense and the sanctity of marriage. I daren't think what your green husband has done but I assure you that you aren't in a room where the fence still stands. We are all Azkaban fodder here but it remains to be seen whether or not the Ministry will catch up."

"They won't," Della cut in, shaking her head fiercely.

Theodore turned and chuckled, nodding in agreement.

"That is why it is a wedding and not a funeral. But let's all observe the power in this room and wonder after what cost it brought to those who had to pay for it. Come, this is a happy occasion. Let us find our seats."

It occurred to Millie that Theodore was right and, ever a Headmaster, he deigned to impart his knowledge in a small manner of riddle. He was right though and as they joined the crowd Millie took stock of the tycoons and entrepreneurs and the liars and the cheats - the Ministry members and the Ministry lobbyists.

Millie reached down briefly to take Kieran's hand and kissed him again before releasing him and letting him take his place. Then, she found her own.
Melissa Finnigan
Melissa Finnigan
Seventh Year Gryffindor
Seventh Year Gryffindor

Number of posts : 669
Special Abilities : Seer

Back to top Go down

Post by Robin Ivanov Fri Dec 13, 2013 4:40 am

In five minutes his bachelorhood would become a distant memory. But the chance to run was over and Robin nodded a silent yes to his best man who scurried off again to round up the rest of the groomsmen. Everyone on his side of the wedding party had managed to arrive at the last possible minute and Robin could not be entirely hypocritical about it because he had been the one who had been holding them up for the last five or so years. Punctuality had never been and would never be his strongsuit.

Misha stood from the corner in which he had perched himself and moved to his younger brother who was still hovering quite close to the door. The older man clapped Robin on the shoulder, opening his mouth as if he was going to say something and then thinking better of it and just heading for the door. Misha had been remarkably silent since he had arrived earlier that morning. The usual lectures, arguments, and list of questions had been left behind in Moscow, or perhaps just left at the door when he had seen what a mess Robin was.

The only person who Robin really wanted to talk to was the woman he wasn’t allowed to see until she reached the end of the aisle. No one but Avery could really understand how he was feeling at this moment. Even Keiran, who had gone through the same ordeal not even a month ago had a completely different wedding than Robin was about to experience. Avery would have told him to pull himself together and made some comment about him being an idiot for being so nervous. She would understand not only because they were stuck in the same shitty situation together but she had somehow, without him even realizing it, become his friend. His.. girlfriend. And now she would be his wife.

Once alone, Robin sunk into a chair and inspected the intricate watch that sat on his arm. Four minutes.

- - -

Gavin gave Avery a reassuring smile as she pulled away, noting more than ever the fear in her eyes.

“Everything’s fine, don’t you worry. Last I saw people were taking their seats so we should have a couple minutes.” He clasped her hand, giving it a little squeeze. “But we can take as long as you need to. You are the show after all.” Gavin glanced at her dress again, the white puff of fabric floating over his shoes as he stood close to her. From her perfectly styled hair to delicate shoes, Avery was a vision. She looked like the perfect bride and it hurt the Gryffindor man to see her not feeling as amazing as she looked.

When Gavin had met Avery at Uni his young, free spirit had been immediately attracted to hers. They had instantly connected and while at first they mostly had fun together, Gavin had uncovered Avery’s deeper layers. As he dug through her murky past, present fears, and future goals he had lost some of his youthful arrogance and taken on her burdens to share. While she did not always realize how clearly he understood, Gavin was always protective of the blonde girl who had practically become a little sister to him.

Now, on her wedding day, Gavin felt more like a father than anything. In the absence of her biological family he vainly attempted to fill that enormous role, comforting her before her grand entrance.

“But how are we doing in here, Ree?” he asked softly, looking down to try and catch her eyes.

- - -

Gisele moved through the crowd, recollecting faces of the guests but walking past as they returned her gaze blankly and without the almost visible lightbulb of recognition. Upon her arrival back from the tropics she had transformed her appearance for this wedding, still unsure of the repercussions of her disappearance. The legality of her own marriage was still in question. Both Cordella Quinn and Gisele Delacour had become missing persons (one of which was an escaped ‘murderer’ and convict), where in a foreign country, and had received the most shabby and forced looking marriage license ever seen. But as far as Gisele was concerned she was a taken woman.

Her long loop around the building and grounds of the vineyard was mostly disappointing and Gisele found herself enjoying weddings much less when no one knew you. Not even strangers had hit on her, the combination of her reduced veela aura, less.. shapely.. body, and wedding ring on her finger had proved an effective technique for warding off slightly buzzed and bored men. When she had made it back to the center of the crowd she spotted Millie and Della chatting with the Headmaster and Deputy Minister.

His presence made getting back to Cordella all the more urgent. At some point in their month long adventure off the grid Gisele and Della had sunken deep into conversations about Azkaban and it’s aftermath. The brunette, sorry blonde, had explained everything from the lack of their communication to her cellmates to the long list of people she had identified as doing her wrong. If she recalled correctly Krum had been near the top of the offenders, making Gisele pause with worry as to how her darling wife might react upon talking to him.

Gisele caught up with the small gathering just as they appeared to be dispersing. She slid into stride next to Cordella as they headed towards the chairs lined up before the outdoor alter. “You okay?” she quietly inquired when they were just out of Elijah’s earshot.

- - -

Robin’s door was knocked on once again and he stood to answer it, revealing Elijah. At the sight of his old mate the Russian boy’s face light up with a genuine grin and he pulled the Bulgarian into a loose, ‘manly’ hug. “About time you showed up.” Robin laughed, examining the face of his friend. It might have been slightly strange to invite the man who was forcing you into matrimony, much less have him in the wedding party, but it wouldn’t have felt right any other way. The two boys went far back and no matter how much of an idiot Krum was for passing this law he was still one of his best friends.

Besides, he had matched him with Avery, and that had to count for something.

“Is it time?”

The two men moved through the remaining crowd in the lobby and took their places at the arch. Robin looked through the crowd, much as he had done at Keiran’s wedding, locating the faces of his family, friends, and those that he had screwed over. It was easier to stand up at center stage than the sit in his room alone. At least here there were people to put up a brave face for. He felt good about pretending to be okay with this and with an audience he inadvertently became the actor – smiling, giving little waves, and waiting anxiously for the music to be his cue.

Robin looked behind him to Keiran. “I know you don’t like this and that’s okay. I get it. But before we get going on all of this,” he gestured around at the general scene, “I wanted you to know it stopped being a bet on the first date. And even though it’s not really my choice – “ his eyes flickered over to Elijah, who stood behind Keiran “- or the ideal time frame, I still mean it.” Robin faced forward again, slightly shocked at the unplanned honest hour that he had just spat out and even more shocked that he meant every word. She hadn’t been his choice but she was special. He barely knew her but the more he got to the luckier he realized he was. She was too good for a guy like him and the least he could do was take care of her like she deserved.

- - -

Mira stood outside of Avery’s room. She knocked on the door quickly and called “You ready, Ave?” The other bridesmaid, a girl from Avery’s work stood with her. Gavin and Avery had been in her dressing room talking for several minutes now and unless they had decided to run away together and elope it was almost time to head down the aisle.

((Excuse my GodMods of Elijah, Della, etc. I can correct anything you aren’t okay with.))
Robin Ivanov

Back to top Go down

Post by Avery Bishop Fri Dec 13, 2013 6:59 pm

“I'd give you my jacket,” Keiran shrugged against her back as he murmured into her ear, “but my mum might kill me. I'll make you a deal, though – find me after and I'll warm you up.”

Keiran nodded in return for the blonde's introduction. Hopefully he would remember her name if meant to chat with her later. She must have been on Robin's side, Keiran mused, since Avery did not mention having invited very many people. The voice from next to them made Keiran stand up to look at them. Krum. Excellent. Keiran was about to joke that he probably should thank Eli for setting up the match when his entire body stiffened, hands moving from Millie's waist to her upper arms.

His thumb brushed her arm in a sort of silent appreciation for her comment but his eyes didn't soften at Eli's apology, sad though it was. As if hearing Keiran's dislike, even more people joined them, seemingly enjoying the idea of rattling both parts of the Hayes couple. Keiran wondered for a moment if Robin expected Keiran to try and get on with the other groomsman. Cael he could handle, but he wasn't so sure about Krum.

Theodore's going on about murder and all other manner of actions but Keiran didn't find himself to take issue until the man suggested that he himself had done something that ranked among the guilt-causing choices of the other men. Robin's, perhaps, was not as bad as the others, but it did not matter. Keiran's hands fell to his sides but he decided it was best to just let things go for the time being. This day was not about him or anyone who bothered him, unless you counted his joking annoyance at Robin on occasion.

Keiran looked up and saw folks heading to their spots and was about to excuse himself when Millie caught his hand. He answered her kiss with one on the top of her head before heading off to look for Robin again.

- - -

“Yes, good.” Avery nodded absently, glancing at herself in the mirror. Then she realized she had just agreed to being the 'show' as Gavin called it. A blush heated her cheeks before she noticed his eyes still on her. How was she doing? Not well, buddy. Not well.

Lifting her hands in a vague frustrated gesture, Avery sunk into a chair, knowing full well that she could mess up her dress. “You remember me telling you about Claire? How I invited her anyways?” Earlier in the month, after invitations went out, Avery had finally decided to invite her family, knowing full well that it wasn't a good idea. But she had explained her reasoning to Gavin much like she had just a few minutes earlier to Keiran.

After waiting for his confirmation, she sighed and shook her head, staring at him like she knew he couldn't believe how ridiculous she was. “I- I didn't think, Gavin. When I sent it. I forgot that she was the one that Robin dated in school. I'm not sure how it ended, since he doesn't like to talk about it, but I don't think it was good. Talking about her is painful for both of us, but it's not like a family problem for him.” She shrugged, ignoring her watery eyes. She refused to be more stupidly dramatic than she was already. “It's not something I can fix now, and I can't help it if she shows up and he decides he likes her better. It wouldn't be so bad if I wasn't so afraid of losing him.”

Avery just knew that Gavin would chide her for saying some of those things, but stood to take his words as much as to make sure that her dress was as pristine as was expected. Frankly, though, if it wasn't, Avery didn't think she could find it in her to worry. So many more important things went into play today. She stared into the mirror as he spoke, finally turning around when there was a knock at the door. Her eyes went to the ceiling in a sort of silent prayer, unsure what else to do. In times like this, she didn't care if she wasn't usually a religious person. She needed whatever help she could get if she wanted to get rid of the negative thoughts. This was supposed to be a day she had been planning for ages, one that involved a guy proposing because he wanted to, not accepting his fate as he was required to. Then again, that went both ways – she had wanted to say yes because the man had convinced her that he loved her. Avery wasn't so sure she even knew exactly what love felt like.

Maybe this was her confusing, winding road to learning.

She opened the door and found Mira, as expected, standing there looking wonderful in her dress. “I guess I have to be, don't I?” She attempted to joke, lifting a shoulder in a half-shrug. Avery was about halfway to the door when she caught sight of the groomsmen from afar. Turning to face Mira, Avery gave the other blonde an apologetic smile. “I'm sorry, again, about Eli. I mean, I didn't expect Robin to pick him, but it's not my place to say no.”

- - -

Keiran took his place next to Cael, Elijah, and Robin when the time came, looking out over everyone sitting in front of them. Melissa had found a seat, as well as Audriana and Cael's date – odd that they had found each other, he mused. Or perhaps they knew each other and he was just out of the loop. It wasn't like she had kept up with him over the years. He couldn't remember the last time he saw her.

His train of thought was derailed at Robin's look, and Keiran's guilt came back, albeit slightly, at the man's words. “I know mate.” He muttered as Robin turned away, glancing down at his shoes before looking up and towards the house again.

Avery wasn't sure, still, how Gavin would feel walking down to the front, so she offered last minute that Mira could walk first, then Gavin could walk with her friend from work, a relatively tall brunette. At least he would feel more comfortable, hopefully.

As they took off, Avery couldn't watch to see if they had agreed to her idea. She had the sudden realization that she hadn't asked anyone to walk her. Shaking her head at her own folly, Avery decided she would just walk on her own, then. Stepping up, Avery paused as people in the chairs stood, and was about to start forward and look over at Robin when someone showed up at her side.

“Aiden,” she breathed. Of course.

“Keiran talked to me. Robin had mentioned you didn't ask anyone. We figured you'd been overwhelmed.” He answered quietly, offering his arm to her.

Avery nearly wanted to run right over and hug the both of them, but she knew that it just wouldn't do. Knowing full well that she was in sight of everyone as this encounter took place, she wrapped her arms around his proffered one and smiled at him before they started down towards the podium. Finally – finally – her eyes could move to the front without any extreme anxiety. She very nearly stopped walking as her eyes found Robin's, somehow still surprised at how incredibly good looking the man was. One would think she would have gotten used to it, perhaps, but then she had only known him a little over a month.

It really had only been that long, Avery realized. Maybe a month and a half. It felt like longer. Avery hoped Robin could say the same. Her eyes flicked for a moment to Mira's in the hope that her maid of honor had remembered the ridiculous index card she had written her vows on, in case she couldn't find the words herself. She knew she had them memorized, but without them staring at her, prompting her to speak, Avery wasn't sure she wouldn't just blank.

Avery realized belatedly that perhaps she should have looked at the people there for the wedding as she passed, but it was too late for that. She hadn't even been able to look at Keiran or the other men. After her glance at Mira, her eyes had found him again. Somehow, Avery realized, she had managed to make it down the vast majority of the aisle without letting her small smile fall. That was good.

A squeeze of her hand from Aiden woke her and she turned her head to look at him. He brought her hand up to kiss the back of it before offering her hand to Robin. Avery passed Aiden a last smile before stepping up onto the platform and meeting his eyes up close, face to face. "Hi," she whispered, shifting her weight from one leg to the other as she looked up at him.
Avery Bishop
Avery Bishop
Durmstrang Graduate
Durmstrang Graduate

Number of posts : 575

Back to top Go down

Post by Robin Ivanov Sun Dec 15, 2013 11:14 pm

Gavin frowned slightly but shook off her worries. "I'm sure it'll be fine, love. You don't know that she will even come. Nothing to worry about." Giving her a sad smile he added, "Besides, Robin would have to be mad to pick her over you. And while he may be stupid, he's not a total idiot." There was a knock on the door and Avery rushed to answer, revealing her maid of honor, a blonde girl that Gavin had been introduced to only a few times. He barely heard what was being said but the girl at the door (Mila? Mary? Maria?) laughed lightly, clearly humoring whatever Avery had said.

Gavin walked towards the two girls, assuming her arrival meant it was time to start to procession.

"It's fine, A. I'm going to have to see him sometime and at least I look hot today." Mira offered with a grin, through her nonchalance did not quite reach her eyes. Gavin's arm was taken by the blonde without much ceremony and they left the room, glancing back to make sure Avery was following behind. Arm in arm, Gavin realized how remarkably close she had the two of them walking.

"How's she holding up?" she asked, her voice leveled somewhere between a conversational volume and a whisper.

"Could be worse." Gavin responded, slightly relieved to figure out her reasoning for their distance. It wasn't as if they were uncomfortably close but they were almost strangers, Mira clearly knew Eli, and Gavin was here with Audriana. Perhaps it had been a bit cocky of him to think she was interested but he couldn't be blamed. Equally subtly he added, "Do you know Claire Bishop?"

"Blonde, horrifyingly pretty, dated Robin?" Gavin nodded. "Met her once at the Krum Mansion."

"If you see her, warn me." Gavin requested as lightly as he was able to. Mira's eyebrows raised but she nodded again, mind suddenly distracted as the pair got close to the top of the aisle. Mira released the older man's arm and they walked down together, taking their spots on the left, across from Robin and his men. Gavin's eyes almost instantly traveled back to where he had just came from, watching the other bridesmaid walk to join them and then Avery herself start the procession.

Mira's gaze was far less focused. She couldn't stop herself from examining the men opposite from her. She had become antiquated with all four, close with three, slept with two, and fallen in love with one. Really, in some ways, it was quite odd that Avery and Robin had found each other. With no help from Mira, her best friend had manged to entangle herself into the pureblood life and all the company it entailed. She had no idea what was about to begin. Her look traveled over the crowd, seeking the long blonde hair that she hadn't seen in years then fell back on the aisle just in time to see Avery step into the spotlight.

- - -

Completely stereotypically and with every once of cliche in play, Robin's breath caught as Avery began walking down the aisle. He let out the air slowly, relief taking it's place in his lungs. It had been over a week since he had seen or spoken to his fiancee and the strangest sensation had been overcoming him - he had been missing her. Their little conversations while she was as work had become more and more common as they had become closer and receiving her handwritten messages had become expected occurrences rather than special occasions.

He was sure she would have said something along the lines of 'Darling, pull yourself together' if she could read his thoughts. As his bride got closer he took in the sight - everything from the details of her dress to her little smile. The walk took forever but Robin couldn't quite break his gaze from her, quite opposite of the sightseeing of the crowd he had been doing earlier. Finally she reached him and squeaked out her hello. A little grin tugging at his cheeks he mouthed back an echo. "Hi." He held both of her hands in his and was amazed at how familiar her touch had become in such a short time.

Her warmth, her touch, her smell, her voice. Robin was suddenly very glad about this wedding if it only meant she didn't have to go on any more silly trips away.

((Letting you do the priest/vicar/official/idk talky-talk. Partly because I'm too lazy and partly because I want to go on to other replies now))
Robin Ivanov

Back to top Go down

Post by Simon Marek Mon Dec 16, 2013 5:08 am

“You're biased.” Avery pointed out to Gavin with a roll of her eyes. “Extremely.”

As sarcastic as her words sounded, her frown was gone and replaced with a quiet smile she hadn't expected. Gavin could always manage to do that for her, though, she mused. He had never been the type to call her crazy, even when she felt it. Avery didn't deserve him as a friend. He was just too good.

Avery nudged Mira's shoulder at the girl's words, passing her a cheeky wink that felt more natural than it should have. As they stepped away, however, Avery couldn't find it in her to keep it up.

Weddings weren't supposed to be this hard.

- - -

Audriana turned away from Mairen as the wedding procession started, eyes doing what she could to catch Gavin's. She knew he had other things on his mind, though, so she allowed a smile onto her face in spite of herself. Soon, despite the pause at the top of the aisle, the bride had made her way down to the front, where Aud could see them pass some sort of awkward greeting.

She wondered for a moment if she should have felt like an intruder in that moment, before deciding it was just in her mind. It wasn't right that she felt like Robin wouldn't want her there – nothing had happened with them. Sure, something might have almost happened once or twice, but it hadn't meant anything like what she now could imagine with Gavin. Someone who actually seemed to want her in the way she had thought no one ever could. Was this what Robin had found? Audriana found herself hoping so. This man who had saved her life might be complicated, but everyone deserved that happy ending – even if it wasn't what they expected.

- - -

Rather stereotypically, Keiran was staring at the top of the aisle, waiting for his oldest best friend, knowing she would be put together. He knew she wouldn't let anything show in public. Her eyes flicked to his for an instant and he could feel the gratitude, if not forgiveness, that they offered him. He and Robin had done right, he knew.

Following her eyes, Keiran watched Robin – something he had always wanted to do at a wedding. He couldn't very well have done it at his, and hadn't been to any other so far. Avery had admitted that she had done so, however. But while everyone looked to see the nervousness or excitement – or both – in the brides' eyes, Keiran already knew that look. He had seen it all morning. What he hadn't really understood was exactly how Robin was feeling in the moment. It only took a second for him to register Robin's shoulders relaxing and his stress easing, albeit slightly. Keiran had known the man long enough to know what it looked like.

He wondered for a moment if Avery could tell that the man had spent the day wondering about her, where she had been so sure that he didn't want this. Just because it had been an accident didn't mean that it couldn't be a happy accident. Keiran had a feeling that Avery would soon learn this.

Their quiet greeting nearly made Avery laugh – he seemed as nervous as she did. “Easy, there,” she teased under her breath, squeezing his hands before releasing one and turning to face the wedding officiate. The man's eyes met hers and he smiled, though Avery didn't think it was as sincere as he meant it to be. They had explained their …. situation to the man beforehand, and being well aware of the law, he had sympathized with them. It really only made things worse, Avery decided, that the man marrying them didn't seem to believe in them. Or he didn't think they were at the point of marriage yet. Those were two different things, though, weren't they?

Avery hoped it was more the latter than the previous. Surely they deserved a chance. Who was this man to decide that it wasn't right?

He probably was just concerned. Everyone else she knew was - the Hayes family, Gavin, even Robin, surely. Not to mention herself.

Looking out over those seated behind Robin and Avery, the officiate nodded to each party before extending a hand in Avery's direction. She nearly lifted an eyebrow in surprise, but accepted it after a moment, placing her hand in his. “Good afternoon, everyone,” He began. “We have come together this day to be with Robin and Avery as they take the next step in their lives. In this world, where things are changing every day and one cannot say what tomorrow will bring, it is with true courage of heart and focused conviction that people like the two standing before me choose to take this step. Becoming a family is not something one should have to choose without consideration, so I wish to thank everyone who has come out to witness this union.”

Avery's eyes shifted over to Mira, wondering what was going through her dear friend's mind. How strange, she mused, that she should want to worry about someone else during her own wedding. Never one to truly want the spotlight on her, Avery had trouble accepting the fact that so many people were sitting and, in all probability, wondering if the two actually liked each other at all. If their match was one that could work. She prayed silently that they could see that this wasn't a shot in the dark for her. This could be it, from what she had experienced so far.

He could be her person.

Having chosen a wedding style similar to the Hayes wedding, Avery expected it when the officiate dropped her hand and wrapped a burgundy-colored ribbon around their clasped hands in the style of a Wizarding World ceremony. Something with such resemblance to an unbreakable vow should have scared her, Avery recognized somewhere in the back of her mind. She couldn't bring herself to worry over it, though.

This officiate was far more serious than that of the wedding between Keiran and Melissa, which Avery somehow found fitting. The man held his hand out so it hovered over theirs before he began again. “In this next movement into their life's story, Robin Oscar Ivanov and Candace Avery Bishop-” Avery winced slightly at her name, “-will agree to keep the other close to them in all trials that the world may bring.  In their endeavoring to keep the other safe, cared for, and loved, these two are choosing to enter into the blessed arrangement that is marriage. Through such agreements as these that Robin and Avery are making, friends and family will be there to watch, guide, and assist these two in their journey.”

The man's hand came down and rested on theirs, making Avery look over and up at Robin to see how he was doing through all of this. Avery remembered vaguely that in her wedding, Millie was laughing and smiling. She wished it was that easy, when in a turn of events quite unusual, she found herself over-thinking everything.

Another ribbon was wrapped around their hands, curling from the wrists to the fingers, as if trying to entrap them with no hope of escape. Perhaps that is what marriage seemed like to a cynical mind.

“In this ceremony, we will be witnesses,” the officiate continued, addressing those seated or standing around them, “to their agreement to both trust and love the person standing next to them, who will stand next to them for all that is left of their lives. In talking to the adults standing before me, joined in their choice to wed one another, I have gained the faith that each of them has the patience, courage, and love within them to go through this ceremony and that which life will bring after it. Especially if they are together.” Grasping their hands and lifting them slightly, as if to show those around them, the officiate looked from Robin to Avery. “This is not simply a symbol of what you must be to one another – a person you can be attached to and someone you spend your time with. This is a promise to be part of one another, something that cannot be taken from you no matter the issues or errors that arise. In your acceptance of this, the two of you will be joined.”

Avery gasped as the ribbons glowed a nearly flame-red color before dissipating and freeing their hands. Having expected some sort of pain from it, she was relieved that she had simply imagined a possibility of such. Though their hands were freed, Avery refused to remove hers from his, both in a show of solidarity and in a need for silent comfort.

“In a marriage, there is less need for fear, and more need for each other. Throughout your time together you will come to understand this, and accept it as much as appreciate it.” The officiate nodded as though it would simply make it true, then turned to look at Robin. “Avery spoke with me earlier, asking to switch things around a little and present her vows first.” He faced Avery and opened his hand in a sort of 'go-ahead' gesture.

Unsure exactly how to start things, Avery faced Robin and swallowed once before extending a hand to the officiate and taking the index card he passed to her. She was far too nervous to remember what she had wanted to say.

“Robin, … honey, … as much as I dislike stating the obvious, it's clear that neither of us expected this when we met that night, thanks to Keiran,” Avery began, glancing at the best man with a determined smile. “I never thought I would be the type to actually write out vows, but I didn't think I would be able to find the words when the time came. I just.. I'm not exactly traditional, and often say too much, so forgive me for my lengthy attempt at getting this right.”

Avery clutched the index card tightly in one hand, glancing up at Robin for a moment in the hopes that he didn't look as uncomfortable as she felt. The hand that still rested in his gave a weak squeeze. Her glances at the card were infrequent as she spoke, but somehow it steadied her.

“While we sort of tested the waters before the match came, these past three weeks have shown me that this can work. We will bicker, and it will take us time to get to that point where we feel like we've known each other for ages. But regardless of all of that, we both can say that the Ministry seemed to know what they were doing.” Avery passed a smirk in Eli's direction subtly before looking back up at Robin through her lashes. She skimmed the ending of her vows and blushed at the fact that she was going to end up quoting a book he had probably never read. “As we've gotten to know each other better, I've come to the conclusion that it's not very hard for someone to love you. I daresay I'm well on my way,  as crazy as it seems for the short amount of time.”

Taking a breath she shook her head and nearly laughed at herself. “I just.. I must learn to be content with being happier than I deserve.”

Sure, the words belonged to Jane Austen, but the feelings rang true. Avery wondered, belatedly, if perhaps she had given away too much. But then, wasn't a wedding the time to let your significant other and everyone else know that you are serious about them? That you are comfortable with the idea of spending forever with them, and that you want to? If not, Avery was fairly certain she couldn't have gotten the words out, even in private.

Suddenly, as she looked up at the man who, in minutes, would technically be hers, she wished she had been at the point where she could have said those three words. In a moment of dramatic flair and sudden courage, she decided to hang the index card and just talk. Letting it drop to the ground, she reached out to take the hand she had released earlier.

“I'm afraid I'm saying too much, so I'll do what I can to wrap things up. You are... completely unexpected, and know the parts of me more than I dare even guess. I will never ask to be your whole life. Never. Because I can't be. But I will try forever to be your favorite part. This isn't what you wanted, but I promise to do what it takes to make it right. I may not know, yet, how this goes, but you can trust me to take care of you, assist you in anything you need, and to push you to get through everything life brings, much like you're doing for me right about now. I'm not sure what I'd do without you here to keep me standing. I trust you in.. well, most things,” Avery laughed, lifting a hand to touch his cheek and chin lightly before letting it brush down his arm to take his hand again, “and know that this can work.”

She wasn't sure how long she had been talking, really, except that it was probably excessive. Robin was probably laughing at her in his mind, or thinking her completely insane. It was too late to change it now, and Avery had gotten out everything she had needed to say. Or she thought so, anyway.

Her eyes searched his hopefully, desperate for a sign that she wasn't completely crazy in the things she said. Avery barely registered the wedding officiate turning to Robin to request his vows. All she could hear was the frantic beat of her heart and the breaths that left her. She blinked hard before meeting his eyes and tried to calm herself so she could focus on whatever he found he wanted to say.
Simon Marek
Simon Marek
Durmstrang Graduate
Durmstrang Graduate

Number of posts : 333

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top