How Long Can I Stay Lost? - Page 3
Welcome to Potter’s Army

Welcome to Potter's Army

We have been a Harry Potter Roleplaying site since 2007. If you're an old member we hope you come check out the discord link provided below. And if you're looking for a new roleplaying site, well, we're a little inactive. But every once and a while nostalgia sets in and a few of our alumni members will revisit the old stomping grounds and post together. Remember to stay safe out there. And please feel free to drop a line whenever!

How Long Can I Stay Lost? - Page 3 Li9olo10

What’s Happening?
Since every few months or so a few of our old members get the inspiration to revisit their old stomping grounds we have decided to keep PA open as a place to revisit old threads and start new ones devoid of any serious overarching plot or setting. Take this time to start any of those really weird threads you never got to make with old friends and make them now! Just remember to come say hello in the chatbox below or in the discord. Links have been provided in the "Comings and Goings" forum as well as the welcome widget above.

How Long Can I Stay Lost?

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic View next topic Go down

How Long Can I Stay Lost? - Page 3 Empty Re: How Long Can I Stay Lost?

Post by Naomi Mulciber Sat Nov 22, 2014 9:48 pm

Oliver's immediate thought was to suggest Alice speak to his father about a job at Gregory's firm. But that just wouldn't do. Not because she wouldn't be brilliant at it - Oliver was convinced, somehow, that she would be. But she was clearly relying on him, and the man wasn't at all convinced that she should be. Alice ached far too much to be in her early twenties, and though Oliver could concede that he was the same, it hurt worse to know that she was convinced that everything was so wrong and so unable to be fixed, when Olive was the one who was physically broken.

It hadn't, of course, registered that he was so interested in having a family of his own. Not until he was told that he couldn't. But Alice needed someone to reassure her, so while Oliver was suddenly sure that he needed to talk to Paul - which, unfortunately, would be quite daunting - what he really had to do was convince Alice that she was okay. At least until Paul understood. If Paul understood, he could convince Alice of Oliver's opinion on everything, and then maybe she would be okay. He desperately hoped she would be.

"You're young, yet, Alice. Plenty of time to find another position and even rise up in the ranks if you wanted to," Oliver pointed out gently. He couldn't find a single thing to say in reply to her next words, though. He couldn't reply the way he wanted to, and he couldn't very well tell her what he intended to tell Paul. Not until he had actually spoken to her father.

His arms released her, albeit reluctantly, and for a moment he thought she was leaving. It was fairly counterintuitive, given what she had just told him, but he wouldn't really have been surprised. Nothing seemed to be as he thought it was anymore. But she made a sort of palette on the floor for them to use as a bed, apparently, because she was reaching for him and Oliver couldn't bring himself to reject her request that he bunker down for the night, too. The instant he laid down, practically, Alice was in his arms again, and a voice in the back of his mind pointed out that he could have this forever if he did it right. If he acted as he should have.

But he wasn't going to, and Oliver knew that. So he just decided to let Alice call the shots. Hopefully she didn't end up changing his mind in the process; it would just make him feel all the more guilty in the end. "I'll be fine. Doesn't matter how I feel, really. It'll go away, and then maybe tomorrow we'll both feel better. Then it won't matter at all."

He couldn't give her the answer she seemed to be seeking. Not without lying to her, anyway. And whether or not the man had been planning to potentially hurt her feelings (in order to make her life easier down the road, mind), Oliver couldn't bring himself to lie to her. Not to Alice. So he hesitated for a breath, trying to find a way to answer her without saying something that wasn't true.

"You've seen me when I was the worst version of myself. For days you saw that, and put up with it. Nothing you tell me could scare me off, now," he assured her, turning to his side so he could rest his head against hers. "Being afraid isn't baggage," Oliver added, wondering silently if she would consider his failures as the same thing. Merlin knew he certainly did.

"Get some sleep, Allie," he soothed. One hand pulled the blankets closer around her while the other patted down her hair. "We'll just see how we're feeling tomorrow and go from there."
Naomi Mulciber
Naomi Mulciber
Fifth Year Slytherin
Fifth Year Slytherin

Number of posts : 292

Back to top Go down

Post by Alice Rousseau Sat Nov 22, 2014 10:41 pm

There, in the arms of her flatmate and almost lover, it was easy to sleep. In breathing in the hot scent of his skin and in feeling his arms wrapped tightly around her she could sleep. Knowing he was there was the most reassuring thing in the world. As Alice looked at him in the dimming light of the room, she felt a strange feeling settle in her chest and lift it, fill it, as though it was going to burst. She took a breath and as her eyes flicked across his she found herself veering closer towards him. Not literally, she didn’t think. But figuratively she was spiralling and she trusted he’d catch her. She snuggled in closer, burrowing her head into the crux of his neck, and sighed softly before pressing her lips against his skin.

“Tomorrow sounds like a better plan,” she murmured, letting her eyes fall shut. “Nuh-night, Ollie,” she yawned. “Thank you. I l—”

Before she could really finish her sentence, Alice had dropped off to sleep, already buried in dreamland. There, she was in relative peace and slept without fitfulness for the first time since she’d returned home. In Ollie’s arms, she could find her proper medium and she felt safe, truly safe, to sleep. So sleep she did, deeply and thoroughly, catching up on every ounce she’d lost in going without him, half determined even in her slumber to never do so again. She didn’t think she could bear to go without him now. There was too much care there. Too many feelings. Too much history, now.

“I don’t like it, Marie,” came the stubborn response upstairs in the master bedroom as Paul-Henri readjusted the pillows while his wife cleaned her teeth. “Marie-Elise, are you listening to me?”

A red head appeared from around the doorframe and Paul blanched as Marie fixed him with a dark stare, clearly at odds with him using her full name. She spat out the remainder of the toothpaste and water ran for a few moments, the clinking of the brush flopping back into the pot taking place before she emerged from the bathroom in her dressing gown and pyjamas, her flyaway curls bouncing around her head.

“You don’t get to have an opinion, love,” Marie reminded her husband, sliding her hands up his arms. “Remember? Our baby girl is a grown woman now. She has been for a long time. She makes her own decisions.”

“I don’t like him,” Paul swore, winding his arms around his wife’s waist.

Marie laughed. “You never liked David, either.”

“With good reason!” Paul exclaimed, releasing Marie. “I was proved right later on, wasn’t I?”

“You and Ollie would probably both agree he’s a bastard,” Marie stated, ignoring the scandalised look on her husband’s face. “Heaven forbid the pair of you agree upon something, hm?”

“I was civil at dinner,” Paul protested, watching has his wife pulled back the bedclothes. “What more do you want from me?”

“Well,” Marie laughed. “I could list a few things,” she added saucily.

Paul shook his head and got into bed with his wife, drawing her close to breath in the strawberry scent of her skin. She’d never convince him, he didn’t think, that any man was good enough for their daughter. Marie would give it a good go but Paul was reluctant to concede anything. He’d never liked the claim David had had, let alone this new addition to his daughter’s life. Marianne, in his opinion, could have done better than her husband. Just as Alice would do better than the man who currently had the gall to have a claim to her affections. Thankfully though, before Paul could dwell anymore, he and Marie fell asleep – left to fight another day.

When Paul cracked open an eyelid, light was streaming in through the curtains. He drew his head up from Marie’s neck where he’d buried his face and glanced around, trying to get his bearings. He sighed and dropped his head back down onto the pillow before turning over to glance at the clock. Nine o’clock. Time to get up. He couldn’t lay in bed longer than that. He didn’t think he could stand it. So, slowly, Paul got to his feet and reached for a hairband to tie back his hair once more. Then he got up, donned a shirt and a pair of jeans before wandering downstairs in search of some coffee.

Flicking on the kettle once he had entered the kitchen, Paul rummaged around for a few cups and then took out a skillet as well as a couple of pots and such for some breakfast. He had no idea what he was going to make just yet but he felt that given the guests they should make a little bit of effort. After all, it wasn’t every day that they had a substantial amount of people under one roof. Once his tea was brewed, he decided that crumpets were the best place to start so Paul busied his hands with making up the crumpets, adding raisins at the spur of the moment.

Content with that, company was the least of his worries until he sensed it and, leaving the breakfast for a moment, Paul turned around to look at Ollie, corrected in who he’d thought was there.

“What do you want?” He asked brusquely.
Alice Rousseau
Alice Rousseau
Beauxbatons Graduate
Beauxbatons Graduate

Number of posts : 283

Back to top Go down

Post by Naomi Mulciber Sat Nov 22, 2014 11:26 pm

Oliver wasn't stupid enough to believe that Alice was going to say something other than what her words hinted at. So although it would bother him for ages, he couldn't find an easy sleep. He couldn't get that deep rest that he probably needed in order to get better. By the time nine o'clock rolled around, he was kidding himself if he thought his little attempts at, at the least, napping were actually going to do him any good.

He felt bad about getting up and leaving Alice on her own there, but at least she seemed to have gotten the rest he was told she hadn't had of late. So he had done his job, to some extent. When he heard movements in the kitchen, he figured it would be safe to investigate - after all, he hadn't really discovered which other rooms he was really allowed in, and wasn't one to pry if he could help it. Unfortunately, it wasn't Marie in the kitchen, but Paul.

Well. With Alice asleep, he supposed he had a chance to speak to the man alone. Otherwise, when the others woke up he likely wouldn't be left alone, nonetheless have a chance for Paul to actually speak to him. Then again, he wasn't sure that he actually wanted Alice's father to say anything. He just wanted to get his point across and then leave if he was allowed. He wouldn't be welcome after he explained, anyways! Perhaps it was better to get it over with, then.

So Oliver tried not to show the downtrodden, pained look that was overtaking his features as he stepped into the kitchen. When Paul realized it was him, though, and addressed him so coldly that the young man couldn't really help the fact that he looked ready to give up. "Well," he began slowly, looking for a way to segue into what he was really interested in explaining. As tired as he was, it would be lucky if he didn't get worked up into a full-blown rambling. "I know that we didn't exactly get along when we met, so I feel that I need to explain something to you. A few things, really. Somehow, I don't think you'll mind, though..."

Shaking his head, Oliver tried to push the conversation away from any feelings he had about Paul and redirect it at himself. Drawing in a shallow breath, he decided it would be best to focus on the floor tiles instead of on the father of the girl he would likely hurt in what he wanted to say. "I don't know what's been said, but it isn't... exactly true that Ariel paid the bail. I sold off something very important to me to get them both freed, and I didn't intend to say anything about it. I think I was right not to, of course, because when Alice and her mother found out... I mean, it was all about how I shouldn't have done so. But they don't really seem to understand it."

The frustration from the past few days was starting to seep in again, and Oliver couldn't help but feel like it wasn't entirely his fault when his anger got the better of him and he started letting his upset flow out in the form of a poorly-organized speech. "Of course I had to. I love her! That's all I really want to do, but you probably don't approve. Thing is, though," he added as he ran a hand through his hair and tugged at the ends, "that isn't the only problem with how I feel. See, I cannot... I can't give her what she wants and I doubt that just fulfilling generic needs is enough to make her happy.

"I'm not naive enough to think that it would," Oliver conceded, looking up at Paul finally. "What she needs is stability. And what she wants is a family of her own. I can't promise either of those things. If I could change who I am to make it work, I would. I would do absolutely anything to keep her in my life, because I need her far more than she needs me - even if she seems insistent on coming back to the flat. Even if she says she needs me in return."

His hands dropped to his sides, pushing into his pockets so he wouldn't start gesturing as he got into what he really wanted to say. "But I warn you: if you care about her half as much as I do - and I daresay you do - you'll convince her not to forgive me for my mistakes. ...You'll tell her I'm all wrong, and get her to forget about me. I don't want - that is... I hope you don't. But that's just me being selfish. Alice already knows that I care for her, though I don't think she has realized just how much, yet. I've done a shit job of hiding it, though, and I don't think I'll get any better at it. Eventually," he grumbled, wishing it weren't true but knowing it couldn't be helped, "I won't be able to keep from saying something, and if I manage to convince her to give it a try, she'll end up unhappy. And that's not okay by me.

"So just... Tell her to stay here. Tell her something - anything - to make her stay. Because I'm not, and I won't ever be, enough for her when she finds out she can't have everything. She deserves to be given everything but it... It won't come from me. It can't," he clarified. "She won't get half of what she deserves if she's with me. ...No matter how desperately I wish she would be. It doesn't matter what I want. She just needs to feel like she belongs with you, and that she belongs with someone who can ensure her a good life.

"Unless the universe shifts and fixes me, that man will be some other guy who is put together, with a real job, and is someone who can give her children-..." Oliver hesitated, his eyebrows tugging together as he said it out loud for the first time. "Someone who is... whole. I highly doubt that someone is me. I want it to be, but I can't hold her back. I want her more than anything, but I can't ask this of her.

"You have. to make. her. stay."
Naomi Mulciber
Naomi Mulciber
Fifth Year Slytherin
Fifth Year Slytherin

Back to top Go down

Post by Alice Rousseau Sun Nov 23, 2014 1:06 am

Crumpets abandoned, the auburn-haired wizard folded his floury hands across his chest and frowned at the man – boy, really – before him. He found himself staring in abject disbelief as the words spilled from the mouth of the Connolly man. The south was much different form the north, he decided in an instant. There, the world seemed to spin on a different axis. Bringing it south seemed only to exacerbate old tensions and it made Paul like it all infinitely less than he already did. His child was a fool, he decided; a fool to be so in love with a man, a boy, such as this. Yet it seemed as though any dissuasion Paul wanted to do had already been done – his job completed. Only, it unsettled him to realise so.

“No,” the word left his throat easily, simply, as though it was misplaced – and it was. He should have said yes. He should have jumped at the opportunity to bar his daughter from more hurt. Yet, just as with David she’d made her own bed and he’d firmly been told to butt out at that point in time, too. However, there was something distinctly different between this one and the mab prior. David had never been trustworthy and no matter how many times Paul had threatened him, he seemed to value Alice’s heart less and less until what she’d been returned were shards that cut her skin and made her bleed. This one seemed to have gotten the message and it made Paul simmer with irritation.

“I am not your errand boy. I am also not as misinformed as you think I am. I know who paid that bail. I know where it came from. Mark me now: you are not her knight in shining armour for it. You shouldn’t have done it. Misguided though they both are, ultimately they are right. You should not have paid that bail because all you have done is fed her heart with hope and all of that hope you’re going to squander, aren’t you? We could have gotten her out of that cell. We have scraped and bled and cried for her every hurt in life and privy to them in or not, you have no right to step into such a role only to forsake it when it becomes inconvenient. I am not your errand boy.

“I am not telling her anything. I am not making her do anything. I am not going to manipulate my youngest daughter into forgetting how she feels just because you feel emasculated. You want to be a man? You want to be a whole? Then stop acting like a boy and fight for what you want,” Paul hissed, punctuating his words by slapping his hands down firmly on the granite countertop. “You’re a liar and a coward. Anything? I don’t believe you. Doing anything to make it happen means finding a solution – making a compromise – stealing and cheating to your heart’s content so long as you do what is right by her and by your own feelings. A man doesn’t run away.”

“My daughter,” Paul went on, bracing himself against the counter, “as it seems to have escaped your notice, is not a woman who takes advice. Rarely does she listen to her betters, her elders or those with more sense. At best, she’ll listen to her mother who is guilty of aiding and abetting her more than any other individual in her life. If perchance Alice happens to make the foolhardy decision to pick you then I am not going to stand in her way. I value my relationship with her too much to watch her scream and cry and fight and battle against my best interests for her. I don’t like you. Truly, I’m overjoyed that you want to be s opathetic as to leave her. You love her? I don’t believe you. You’re lying to yourself and to her if that’s what you think. That’s naïve.”

“I’m not going to convince her of anything. It’s on her head if she is foolish enough to believe you to be earnest. It is on her head if she decides to forgive you for your purported mistakes. Believe me, I would be glad to get her to forget you, to twist her to hate you just as she had done to herself in regard to that other ratting thing that staked a claim upon her and tore her in two. To protect her, I would take great pleasure in having her believe you’re all wrong. You are. You are wrong for her. But for some reason you make her happy,” as much as it grated on Paul, it was true.

“I am sure Marie-Elise treated you with the extended version of how utterly miserable that witch was and has been since she had arrived and how content she is now that you are here? Surely you see it? Surely you cannot believe that you are as insignificant to her as I would like you to be? Surely you can see your misguided feelings are equally and painfully replied to in kind? You’ve done a shite job at hiding it. She’s done a worse one. It’s on her tongue, desperate to leap off. I expect it feels liberating to say it aloud, doesn’t it? You love her, do you? You’re meant to be a writer, aren’t you? Do you know anything about love, boy?”

“Perhaps you’re more of a reader,” Paul considered glibly. “Plato wrote that when you love something, the gist though this is, you love all of it and if your lover has a defect you find language enough to make it sound wonderful. If she is as careless now with her feelings as she has always been then she will love you and all of you irrespective of your gaping errors. Children? Children are the least of your failings. They will always be the least of your failings. This is a free lesson for you, lad: what she wants out of your two requirements more than anything is stability. She wants the latter for the former because the latter cannot leave. If she gets the children, she has eighteen years of stability she has no choice but to provide. But if she loves you, she’ll decide what she wants to do.”

Paul stood up straight again, willing against his better judgement to impart another little nugget of information. “I, apparently, share more traits with you than I would like to concede. I never proposed to Marie until I had Alice. Months we planned it in my flat in Paris, often by candlelight on scraps of parchment that she’d get cookie crumbs over as she munched through the bags I’d bought from the patisserie down the road. I did not propose to Marie and waited like a fool until she was nearly married herself because I could not give her children, either. We did not adopt children for the sheer delight of giving things back to the community or giving them a home. There was a rhyme and reason to it. They needed us, yes, but I am empty too, lad, and though it’ll cripple you in yourself, it should never change the way you feel for the person you love.”

Paul suffered a sigh and behind him, the kettle began to boil. “You find a different way to make her happy,” he informed, pulling out cups from a cabinet. “I’m not telling her how to live her life. I tried. She rebuffed me. She walked out of the Ministry to prove it. I am not her keeper. Neither are you. We are the marionettes and we are the ones who go on a merry dance around her, son. Don’t flatter yourself by thinking you’re going to prevent her from doing what she wants to do. Now that is naïve. Really, the onus is on you. Perish the thought: tell her and let her choose. If she loves you, none of this even matters. If she wants to take a ‘chance’ on you, she won’t care. You want to move mountains for her? Try leaving them where they are and finding another way around them, instead. My child doesn’t need to have happiness inputted into her. She makes it for those around her. If you’re enough for her and she you, you’ll make each other happy.”

Paul poured in the milk and took out the teabags before handing a cup over to Ollie, a sardonic look flitting onto his features.

You have to make her stay,” he threw back at the younger man.
Alice Rousseau
Alice Rousseau
Beauxbatons Graduate
Beauxbatons Graduate

Back to top Go down

Post by Naomi Mulciber Sun Nov 23, 2014 7:09 am

Oliver had never experienced a verbal lashing from his parents of the same caliber as the one that was now thrown at him by Alice's father. In fact, as down as he had felt before, Oliver suddenly felt all the more broken. Yes, Paul had a point, but he didn't understand! Of course he wasn't a knight. And while he was trying to protect Alice, it wasn't like Oliver didn't have his own, personal reasons for pushing the blonde away. How could someone love him when he didn't like himself or even know himself?

And, in truth, he understood where Paul was coming from. He did. But Oliver didn't know how to turn around and feel differently. Several times, really, he wanted to interrupt and explain that Paul didn't know the whole story. The older man could never know what had made Oliver into the confused, self-deprecating man that he was. Yet he presumed to tell Oliver that he was a liar? A coward? The latter might have been true, but the former was not something he could accept.

He didn't even bother trying to cover up the expression that practically screamed hints at the simmering anger under the surface. Instead, he let his eyebrows pull together, his eyes watching Paul as if he wished he could react even more negatively than he already was. But this was the other man's home, and as stupidly as he had been behaving, Oliver would not be causing a scene where someone else could be affected by it.

"I do not mean to make things worse, though that is likely impossible to avoid, but you don't know me like you think you do, Sir." Oliver returned, taking the drink that was offered but not even considering the possibility of actually trying it. "So don't you dare tell me that I don't love her. I'm trying to keep her from experiencing the bad that shouldn't have to come with the good. No, I'm not a knight in armor. Shining or otherwise. I never will be. And I know that just as much as you do. Just as much as she does."

"But - but do you know what happens to her when I'm around?" Oliver questioned indignantly. "She cries. Frequently. And it nearly kills me. I will not live very long if I continue to cause it. I never mean to but it always, always happens. Love isn't supposed to hurt. I may have been there when she needed me at the start, but if that is what caused her to garner any affection towards me..." He shook his head, setting down the cup in his hand. "It's misplaced. It's not real. And she will figure that out eventually. Probably when I finally cave and it comes spilling out - pouring out. Like a river of repressed feelings because I'm not a good person and she deserves one of those. I think about myself too much, contrary to what my years and placement at school suggested. I don't mean to be that way, but it happens. I'm selfish because I want her to want me. But I am also... a failure. At relationships. At keeping my family safe. I cannot promise that I can keep Alice safe. I went so far as to stop talking to my family because I knew that my inadequacies would be incredibly underwhelming. That, because the world has decided it's time to punish me, led to my not saying goodbye to my sister the day she died."

"I hadn't spoken to her in - in months, actually," he added, waving a hand to emphasize the ridiculousness of the situation. "Because I had been failing. So I managed to do so again. And I've continually found that, people who claim it wasn't my fault? They're just looking for the good and ignoring the fact - the fact," Oliver burst, physically restraining himself from pointing a finger to punctuate his comments, "that I have messed up a million times and not found a way to fix any of them."

"Now- now, you can call me a coward. That's probably true. But a liar? Don't even start with me. The minute you trivialize the fact that I adore her, that's the exact moment when you're setting us up for failure. Me and your daughter, we likely wouldn't have made it anyways. But you standing there telling me that I don't care, and that I'm standing here lying, while I drop-kick myself into a ditch by giving away everything I've kept secret? By begging you to protect her? I wasn't speaking against you or your family, and I cannot accept the fact that you so strongly question and attack my confessing what I never wanted to, and my willingness to appear weak in front of someone I need to impress. I will not tolerate that," he practically growled.

"So I'll go and tell Alice that I'm well. I'll tell her that she can pack if she wants, and follow me if she wants. But if I say something, and she decides to give it a go, you can't be mad at me for it. Especially if I actually figure out how not to mess it up this time. You can't, sir. Because now you've had the chance to stop it, and somehow only managed to make me want to prove you wrong. Even though I probably can't. I want to, but I won't make any promises. I kind of doubt you would accept any of those, anyways," he added, scoffing quietly as he shifted his weight.

Shaking his head, Oliver knew that the more they bickered, the worse he would feel and the worse he would act around Alice. That would only lead to more fighting, and to Alice crying again, and damn it all, he couldn't deal with any more of that.

"Thanks for the tea, by the way, although it's probably cold by now. But I really ought to get going."

With that, Oliver turned over his shoulder, and started down the hallway, deciding that if Paul wasn't going to stop Alice, then perhaps he just wouldn't bother trying to keep from being honest with her anymore. The minute she gave him any concrete, real sign that it was okay, Oliver was just going to have to jump in. Head first.
Naomi Mulciber
Naomi Mulciber
Fifth Year Slytherin
Fifth Year Slytherin

Back to top Go down

Post by Alice Rousseau Sun Nov 23, 2014 4:41 pm

As much as he wanted to concede the contrary and, indeed, he would have been well within rights to do so, Paul was forced to agree that he did not know the boy as well as he’d thought. He had not thought, given what he’d read and given what he’d dug up about everyone involved in his family just as he’d done with the wayward werewolf, that there had been much more to the boy than what was written down on paper. The weakness had only sufficed as to prove it to him yet what he found and what he found he was proud of was the fact that Oliver didn’t appear to want to lay down and take it. He was more of a man than he was a boy.  

“I’m setting you up for failure?” Paul exclaimed with a wild laugh. “Me? This is my fault? You’re the one who doesn’t want to try. I am going to trivialise the way you feel because you’re already doing it. You go, you leave this house and you take her with you. Do as you will. Romance her however way you like but you break her and I’ll kill you. Are we square, then? You need to learn to value what you have in this life, boy. You don’t start with my daughter, either. You start with your family. Give it a go, by all means, but don’t you dare touch her until you are whole and ready for it. And I don’t mean via your loins – I mean in yourself. Only start if you’re ready for her.”

Once the boy was gone, Paul took a breath and braced his hands back down on the counter. He stretched himself out and huffed against the granite before standing back up and tossing his fingers through the wispy bits of auburn hair that had fallen form the band he’d put it all in. Sighing, he moved Ollie’s cup to the sink and washed it up quickly in warm, soapy water before setting it down on the draining board. As he looked up, peering out into the leafy grounds that encompassed the house through the sash window framed by yellow curtains, he spotted a familiar figure, barefoot and marching about in search of the stray cats that, since they’d moved there, she’d fed. Once she’d left for school, it was something Paul and Marie had bizarrely found themselves keeping up, as much as they both loathed cats.

Lifting his wand from the counter, Paul flicked a wave of magic at the breakfast and set it going of its own accord. He then dropped the wand into his jeans pocket and endeavoured to stride through into the dining room, opening up the concertina doors before slipping out onto the patio through the glass, conservatory doors. The tiles were cool underfoot and the man instantly regretted forgoing his own shoes. He wondered to himself just how much the little witch had heard but the withering look she fixed him with upon looking up from the cat – Mr. Whiskers, aptly named by Édouard – she had been smoothing. Paul bit the inside of his cheek and he sighed, coming to sit in the wicker chair that, one of a set, had been left out the night before with a protection spell on them.

Alice didn’t move to greet her father. She was in no rush. Instead, after feeding the cats, she opened up the rabbit hutch, a substantial structure which her brothers had put up on a sunny weekend a few months before and which her sisters-in-law had not waited to fill up with fluffy creatures. It was larger on the inside thanks to a few extension charms and they were constantly kept warm and dry. The trays for their business removed themselves and their water bottles refilled automatically once empty. It was only food which the family had to provide which often resulted in them having a run in the mornings while whoever had gotten up first drank their way through a few cups of coffee and got to rights.

This morning was no different. Rabbits streamed out onto the grass just as the cats sloped away again into the trees to roost, get up to no good, or pursue whatever it was they wanted to do that morning. With a flick of her wand, Alice moved the bowls to the patio where the cats would know to come if they were hungry or thirsty and then the rabbits began, allowed to lord over, and crucially trim, the wide expanse of lawn that thanks to a few rainy evenings was blooming with dandelions. Feet were kicked together excitedly and Alice raised a smile to her lips as she got up from the hutch with her rabbit, Apple, in her arms.

Smoothing the creature seemed to ease her temper somewhat and the rabbit was happy enough to have its ears stroked and its belly rubbed. She took a few moments to inspect her nails and then bent back down to fish out from one of the drawers in the hutch, a useful feature that the boys had added, a pair of clippers. Then, Alice kicked the drawer closed and weaved through the rabbits eager to hop around her, towards the patio where she sat opposite Paul and set Apple down on her lap before beginning to trim her nails.

“What do you want?” She hissed, ironically mirroring the first turn of phrase that Paul had levelled at Oliver.

Despite himself, the man blanched and looked at Alice somewhat fearful of what she had to say to him. He opened his mouth but before he had a chance to defend his position she hurled the clippers at him and the man, albeit beginning to steam with anger at her belligerence, fumbled to catch them. He put the clippers down and looked at her pointedly, really only questioning whether she’d seen to Apple or not. The rabbit jumped off of Alice’s lap onto the grass to join the others and Paul discerned that, as ever, his daughter was as quick as she was methodical and he knew that the Ministry would miss her. He was half-tempted to offer her a better job but he knew that it would be hurled back in his face with vengeance – and perhaps the clippers again to boot.

“You are abhorrent,” she exclaimed. “The pair of you!” One of the rabbits twisted around to fix her with a quizzical look.

“Alice, sweetheart—” he endeavoured.

“—No!” She burst. “Papa, I don’t need this. I want to be more than just proof to you that Ollie is not a coward and a liar. He’s not either. He’s ...” Alice trailed off, flushing pink.

“Alice—” Paul attempted, again.

“—Papa, I do not need protecting. From anyone – least of all from Ollie. Neither,” she added before Paul could interject, “do I need to be coddled because of it.”

“Alice, all I want is for him to prove to you that he’s worthwhile taking a chance on,” Paul insisted, “I don’t want you to be hurt again, sweetheart.”

“That’s life, papa!” Alice insisted, her eyes flashing with poorly concealed irritation. “That is life. That happens. The fact that it does isn’t the point. Dealing with it and surviving is. I am not a baby. I am stronger than this – and just because I cry doesn’t mean I’m not.”

“I know, Alice.” Paul implored, lifting her hands into his. “Believe me, I know.”

“Then stop it,” she demanded, taking her hands out of her grasp. “Let me decide what I want,” she added, getting to her feet.

“What do you want, then?” Paul asked, looking up at her. “What do you want, Alice?”

She paused and turned a little to look at her father as insecurity and hesitance lifted onto her features. She bit her lip and then, somewhat resolutely, shrugged her shoulders.

“I don’t know yet. I want to get out of here, though, I know that much,” she responded, endeavouring to breeze past her father.

“No, Alice. You know I’m not talking about that. Do you want him?” Paula reiterated, getting to his feet.

His daughter stopped on the threshold of the dining room, her hand braced against the frame of the door. She bit the inside of her lip and then looked over her shoulder at the rabbits.

“Don’t forget to feed them,” she murmured before disappearing inside.

Once in the shadow of the house, the warmth of the sunshine abated from Alice’s skin and she suffered a long sigh as the gaping hurt within her began to truly bite. Drawing her hands up her arms, she left the dining room and drew into the pillow room, hovering awkwardly by the doorway.

“I’m going to have a shower,” she informed Ollie brusquely, adding: “You’re well enough to shout at my father, aren’t you?” She held up her hands. “I don’t want to talk about it. Just … there’s another bathroom down the hall, that way,” she pointed to the right, “if you want to freshen up. I’m ...” Alice shook her head. “I’m … yeah, shower.”

In something of a daze, Alice climbed the staircase and once on the landing she opened the door to the room and strode through, abandoning her clothes on the floor as she went. In the bathroom she turned on the jets and fired it up so that the water that hissed onto her skin scalded her with its every touch. She lathered up her hands with thick, sweet smelling soap and scrubbed at her skin before running soap through her hair. Once the suds were swept away she closed off the shower and stepped out onto the rug, drawing a towel off of the rain. After drying herself off, she dried her hair with her wand and with a little bit more magic set it in soft curls down at the ends. Abandoning the towel, she put her clothes in the washing hamper with it and strayed to her underwear drawers.

There was no pleasure in dressing that morning. She took her time, as ever, and paid attention to what she matched together. She donned her stockings, fixed her make-up and pinned back her hair with little pearl-ended grips. She swung the cool chains of her favourite necklaces around her throat and ensured that despite the tempest inside of her she was steeled and respectable on the outside. Her skirt was a soft pink, pleated with a darker pink shining through. Her blouse was a starched white with lace and puffed, floating sleeves that draped across her arms, coming together in a stiff cuff at her wrist. She donned a pair of ballet pumps and after fixing where her necklaces were she stood in the mirror for a moment, trying to see if she could perceive her feelings beneath it.

Repairing from her room, Alice took herself out on to the landing and encountered her mother who looked as though she’d just woken up. Alice bit her lip and managed to raise a smile for Marie’s benefit who, in her wearied state, thankfully missed any points in her daughter’s countenance which could lead to an intuitive deduction.

“You look pretty today,” Marie murmured, kissing Alice’s cheek. “Are you and Ollie going into town?”

“Back to his house,” she clarified. “He’s well enough to leave.”

Marie looked at Alice curiously. “Are you sure, lovely? You’re welcome to stay as long as you like, sweetheart. You know that, don’t you? You both know that.”

“He wants to go,” Alice explained, feeling foolish all of a sudden. “Are you still friends with that realtor?”

“William?” Marie asked. “Of course – we go out for lunch every month. Why?”

“I think,” Alice considered, glancing down at her shoes. “I might need to have a meeting with him.”

A look of shock registered across Marie’s features but she kept her peace, nodding instead.

“Alright, beautiful. I’ll dig out his number. Do you want me to ring him and give you a when and where?”

“I think maybe … yes, please,” Alice nodded back to her mother. “Do you want a cup of tea?”

Marie looked at her a bit funny, “Alright, love, that sounds perfect. I’ll be done in a bit, okay?”

Alice nodded and the two parted, the younger wandering back downstairs and into the kitchen where Paul-Henri was moving around still, making breakfast. Alice flicked on the kettle and took out a cup for her mother. Then she departed, Paul having offered to do it for her and she went back in search of Ollie. When she found him, she lingered on the threshold of the room, unwilling to step inside, unwilling to submit to whatever it was he had to say. Disappointment was hot within her and she knew that she needed to be stronger.

“Are you going to stay to eat?” She asked softly. “Papa has nearly finished breakfast.”

She was stiff, awkward and looked out of place there in that moment. Alice looked down at the ground, out through the window, at her own hands, anywhere so long as she didn’t have to look at Ollie. Biting on her lower lip, she finally lifted her gaze and looked at the man, wondering when it was that she’d done him so wrong. She’d thought, perhaps naively, that they understood each other enough to be able to talk about the things that mattered. She certainly had invested in him far too much of herself – only now to find she wasn’t going to be treated with the same respect.

“If you’d trusted me,” Alice began gradually, “then I would have tried to make you see that it doesn’t matter – that in truth all I’d really like is to be with you. I would’ve said that I love you too and that none of it matters so long as we have each other. I would have liked to have been able to say it. But I can’t now, can I? I can’t. I can barely look at you. You don’t …” Alice licked her lips. “You don’t know what I want. You’ve assumed things based on what I’ve said to you. You’ve never asked me. What is worse is that you’ve assumed things that … you think that what I want is going to be more important to me than … how do you know what I need?” She snapped, looking up at him with quizzical disbelief. “Do you know how much I care about you? Do you not know how much I need you? Do you really have any idea how we’d end up if we were together? Do you have that foresight? You’ve never even asked me!

“Do you know who is going to ensure I have a good life?” Alice asked coldly. “Me. I am. I am going to ensure I have a good life. I don’t need you or my father to do it for me. You’re whole. You’re … I love you. But you’re wrong. You’re so wrong. Misplaced is it? Misplaced? Do you have any idea how I feel? Oliver, do you know anything about me?” Alice took a shaky breath and brought her hand to her forehead. “Now, I’ll admit, I’m not ready. I don’t feel I am brave enough to do this – to even consider it. But I would’ve … if you’d given me the chance to sort out me ... so I could try to be with you and be what you needed … I wouldn’t have rejected you because we couldn’t have children. If you’d only trusted me – even as a friend. Even to say you were worried and scared … I wouldn’t have neglected you for it. When I was ready, it wouldn’t have any bearing on my choice. I would love to be with you. But how can I when you don’t trust me? And when you don’t respect me enough to allow me to make my choices and decide what I want? What I can’t believe, more than anything, is that you went behind my back and told my father instead and tried to get him to manipulate me. He can do that on his own but I thought you of all people … you wouldn’t encourage it.”

Alice shook her head and turned to go. “I need to pack,” she said softly.
Alice Rousseau
Alice Rousseau
Beauxbatons Graduate
Beauxbatons Graduate

Back to top Go down

Post by Naomi Mulciber Sun Nov 23, 2014 6:19 pm

Oliver didn't care if Paul was still speaking to him. He had given all of the energy he could manage, said it all in one big go, and then walked straight out. If the other man thought that Oliver had stopped in the hall to listen, he was sorely mistaken. Oliver couldn't find the patience for that at all. Although Alice wasn't there when Oliver returned to their room, he decided it would be best not to search for her, given his mood. He didn't want to actually consider it and check, but he was nearly certain that his expression was still a conflicted scowl.

When Alice returned, though, his head snapped up and the angry expression faded into one of confusion. Of course. He wasn't allowed a moment of privacy anymore, was he? That would be far too presumptuous of him, apparently. He didn't even bother trying to say anything. Not the first time she came in, and not the second time. Yes, he did as she suggested and went to clean up, but he returned to the pillow room directly, merely cleaning up a bit until Alice appeared once more.

"No. I'm not," he answered, continuing to focus on the pillows he was returning to the couch, without so much as a glance in her direction. That is, until she started speaking nonsense.

He let her say her piece. Didn't even open his mouth to try and get a word in edgewise. It wouldn't have helped. In fact, he didn't say a thing until she had turned to leave again. "I don't... mind if you come back. Not if you intend to somehow accept the fact that every word I said to your father was based on the fact that I have experience with the sort of problems that I cause. So, you're welcome to come with me if you're willing to try to understand.

"But if you intend to ignore the fact that love means accepting the mistakes I make, that it doesn't come with a log of who did which bad thing most recently and how many times they've done something wrong...? Don't bother. I don't think that doing something I felt was going to help you constitutes you coming back merely to torture me with the fact that you're not interested in listening, or even considering forgiving me. So don't. Don't listen. Don't consider it.

"But don't come back, either."

Releasing a furious, shaky breath, Oliver reached for his wand, impossibly tempted to just leave like he had done to her father. Ariel would kill him for it, though. So he waited, shifting his weight and watching her closely. How had he so quickly gone from determination to tossing his feelings aside? Oliver didn't think he would have if Alice had just understood. Or if she had just not overheard. He was exhausted, and wished with everything in him that Marie hadn't found him. Ariel would have come back eventually. It would have been fine.

And he could have forgotten. He could have make himself forget.
Naomi Mulciber
Naomi Mulciber
Fifth Year Slytherin
Fifth Year Slytherin

Back to top Go down

Post by Alice Rousseau Sun Nov 23, 2014 9:09 pm

An ultimatum. A choice. So that was that, then. Alice took a step back, as though she’d been slapped, levelled by his words. She dropped her gaze and shook her head. Swallowing a breath of air, Alice lifted her head and looked at him, trying to keep away the tears that wanted to dance up into her eyes. She crossed her arms over her chest and rubbed one leg against the other absently, still quite unwilling that this was what it had come down to. She wanted to turn back the clock, to a few minutes before and change her response to him or perhaps to an hour before and choose not to get up when she did but lay there and steal some more sleep. She wished she could take it back, most especially her words, but now she wasn’t entirely sure she believed his.

“What I objected to was how you did it – not your intentions. I appreciate you only want to help me but I just wish you’d done it in a different way,” Alice stepped forward into the room, opening up her arms. “Ollie,” Alice paused and closed her eyes, bringing up a hand to pinch at the bridge of her nose. “The thing that I don’t understand is that … I don’t know why you thought – think – that those problems from before are going to be repeated with me. And why you’d rather keep the secret and try and to ... I just don’t understand, Ollie.” Alice bit her lip.

“I’ve forgiven you,” she promised, “but I don’t think you want to listen to me. I don’t know that you wanted to try to. And I don’t … I need time, I think.” She looked down again. “I don’t think I’ll be going with you, Ollie. I don’t know that I can.”

Alice stepped back and took in a shaky breath. Then, breaking forward, Alice placed her hand on Ollie’s shoulder and leaned over to brush her lips against his cheek. She reached up to tease her fingers across his skin and smiled a sad little arch of her lips before stepping away, venturing to murmur her small goodbye to him.

“I’ll see you soon, then.” She offered optimistically.
Alice Rousseau
Alice Rousseau
Beauxbatons Graduate
Beauxbatons Graduate

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic View next topic Back to top