Bertie's Diary
Welcome to Potter’s Army

Welcome to Potter's Army

We have been a Harry Potter Roleplaying site since 2007. If you're an old member we hope you come check out the discord link provided below. And if you're looking for a new roleplaying site, well, we're a little inactive. But every once and a while nostalgia sets in and a few of our alumni members will revisit the old stomping grounds and post together. Remember to stay safe out there. And please feel free to drop a line whenever!

Bertie's Diary Li9olo10

What’s Happening?
Since every few months or so a few of our old members get the inspiration to revisit their old stomping grounds we have decided to keep PA open as a place to revisit old threads and start new ones devoid of any serious overarching plot or setting. Take this time to start any of those really weird threads you never got to make with old friends and make them now! Just remember to come say hello in the chatbox below or in the discord. Links have been provided in the "Comings and Goings" forum as well as the welcome widget above.

Bertie's Diary

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Bertie's Diary Empty Bertie's Diary

Post by Bertie Nogard Thu Jan 09, 2014 1:37 am

THE DIARY OF BERTIE NOGARD

Ravenclaw Banner Ravenclaw Banner Ravenclaw Banner

Dear reader,

If you ever stumbled upon this maybe you will know who I am if I have made a career out of my writing, if not then I will appear just an ordinary Hogwarts student. I love to write and after having three near-death experiences I have decided to document my days so that way I can reflect on them, appreciate the life I have however mundane or magical my diary entrances may be.

One day we may meet, perhaps we already have met or we may never meet at all. Whichever of the roads we are currently travelling on I hope you too can appreciate the wonderful gift of life and imagination. It was my imagination that saved my life, it kept me going during my lonely days of recovery and now I encourage you to imagine. Explore your mind, voyage along thoughts you may never think, daydream about 'what if' and enter a world that is entirely you're own. A world where you can be anything, see anything or do anything.

You can't depend on your eyes if your imagination is out of focus.
Bertie Nogard
Bertie Nogard
Bertie Nogard

Number of posts : 149

Back to top Go down

Bertie's Diary Empty Re: Bertie's Diary

Post by Bertie Nogard Sat Jan 11, 2014 7:20 am

Friday 10th January 2027

Today I was released from St Mungo's, finally. Being able to start my day alone in my bed, surrounded by a bubble, then finish it at home is refreshing. For the first time in months I felt the wind rustle through my hair, the icy air fill my nostrils and the drops of sleet tickle my cheeks. I was never a huge fan of the cold, rain is a huge turn away and sleet is exactly that but with a sugary sprinkle. Yet, today I enjoyed the dampness. I enjoyed the bitter cold that coiled around my legs and held me by the hand as I stepped from St Mungo's. 

I have been in hospital since the 12th of October. For a moment it appeared as though I had died in the hospital wing, I learnt that the matron even called time of death. I don't remember this but after spending two months in quarantine with nobody but the healers and nurses to talk to I managed to squeeze every drop of detail from them. St Mungo's staff collected me from
Hogwarts, they had to take me to be identified by my Mother and then... Then the morgue. There was no denying the shock and fear I'd felt when Mrs Winders, one of the nurses, informed me I'd originally been addressed to the morgue. I can only imagine how I must have looked, what I must have been like for the matron to believe me dead. Thankfully I hadn't been sentenced to an eternity in the shadows. One of the healers had noticed my bottom lip moving slightly, attempting to steal the surrounding oxygen. It was that point they realised I was still alive and a week later I found myself in quarantine.

The welsh green Itch was back. Or at least that was my initial diagnosis. What stumped the healing staff was how it continued to survive. Twice it had induced damage and twice it had managed to remain alive, hidden and lurking somewhere in my body. They explained their theory to me: a new strain, a mutated strain, a strain that lay dormant inside of me and came out to take my life. Maybe the words 'take my life' weren't used exactly but that about summed up what they were saying. 
For the next two and a half months I lay in bed, getting up every so often for a wonder around the room or a trip to the toilet. My Mum came to visit as often as she could but not being a witch the only way she could enter was with her brother, meaning I saw a lot of my Uncle John. He talked a lot about how when I recover I can aim for entering the Ministry or becoming a healer myself. Although I felt healthy I simply didn't have the heart to tell him I had no intentions of becoming a ministry official and the idea of spending the rest of my life in St Mungo's was soul crushing. I'd spent enough time in hospital to last me a lifetime. 

My family have always tried to shrug a career in the the Ministry of Magic or St Mungo's on me. Ever since I was little, it was almost a family expectation. My Uncle himself worked in the department of magical law whilst two of my other uncles worked in magical transport. My auntie Cheryl was different, she worked for Gringotts, something still respectable. But me? I had no intentions of a career that didn't depend upon my creativity... If only I could tell them that. 

After two and a half months had passed the bug returned armed with an entire arson of toxins, more so than the times before. Thankfully the healers had a preformed plan and were on hand to rescue me, save me once again from the hand of death. 

I woke a week later, exhausted but feeling free. Mrs Winders informed me, teary-eyed, that the healers had managed to find where it had been hiding and had removed it once and for all. As of now it sits in a laboratory being the subject to experiments: How is it transmitted? Is it contagious? How does it cause disease? Who is most likely to be effected? 

I have to say I'm going to miss being the only person to have the disease, it made me feel somewhat special, but I made it no secret to show my happiness when the healer and 
Mrs Winders discharged me today. They'd monitored my recovery since the third attack, or 'episode' as they called it, and said there was no need for me to stay in quarantine or St Mungo's.

That afternoon my Uncle and Mum collected me and the many pads of parchment I'd filled and took me back to our cottage by the sea. My Mum had planned a surprise party to welcome me back. All my aunties and uncles were there, even my cousins that weren't at Hogwarts and my Grandma had gave me a barrel of all the sweets I could want. 

Tonight, for the first time since the 12th of October, I will be falling asleep with a smile on my face.

Bertie.

Last edited by Bertie Nogard on Tue Jan 21, 2014 2:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bertie Nogard
Bertie Nogard

Back to top Go down

Post by Bertie Nogard Sat Jan 11, 2014 3:20 pm

Saturday 11th Janurary 2027

It felt comforting to wake up outside the quarantine bubble for once. As though I'd stepped out of prison. I could do whatever I wanted, go downstairs and grab something to eat, take a shower, put the TV on whilst I lie in bed for another hour or two... Or three.

After having bacon on toast in bed I took a shower in a warm shower for a change, unlike the showers of St Mungo's. Of course I'm heading back to Hogwarts soon so shouldn't get used to it, their plumbing has been awful the past eight months or so,  but I may as well enjoy it whilst I can!

Like last night I saw my Grandma again. We didn't do much other than simply sat in each others company whilst my Mum pottered about the house - of course we were accompanied by the huge barrel of sweets she'd brought me. I'll just make sure I clean my teeth an extra minute or so, I'd rather not having another filling, or two... Or Three.

My day was pretty much a standard lazy day, much like I'd had for the past three months in St Mungo's but away from the sound of coughing patients, that clinical smell and Mrs Winders unsightly wart that always stared at me. I finally feel free and it's great to simply be back to doing nothing in the comfort of my own home, soon to be Hogwarts!

I planned on writing to Viv today but decided against in. She doesn't know I'm out of St Mungo's and I'd much rather see the look on her face when she turns the corridor and there I am, as though nothing had changed. I can't wait to see her again, she's more than a friend she's a sister and the best sister a boy could ask for!

Bertie.

Last edited by Bertie Nogard on Tue Jan 21, 2014 2:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bertie Nogard
Bertie Nogard

Back to top Go down

Post by Bertie Nogard Sat Jan 11, 2014 3:39 pm

Sunday 12th Janurary 2027

There is more than Vivianna at Hogwarts who I miss. There is one that has been through my entire Hogwarts lifee that I miss, if he's still alive of course: Snidget. My toad.

Snidget is a western green toad that my Mum bought for me when I first went to Diagon Alley to collect my belongings for the first year. I could have chosen an owl but they were too pricey, and I'm not really a cat person so that mean't a toad was the only option. Well, there was the option of having no pet but I didn't quiet fancy going to Hogwarts without a companion.

It was a good job really, for the first month or so I found it difficult to make friends. The odd aquaintence yes but friends? No. That was where Snidget came in (whose name I found in a fantastic beasts and where to find them). I could talk to him, carry him around in my pocket, watch him hop around the grass as I sat and looked at the lake from my tree stump. We were the best of friends, my only friend. I sometimes thought maybe if I wasn't the boy with the toad I'd have made more friends but I knew that wouldn't be the case. At primary school I never made friends. I hated it. It turns out there was no reason for me to go in the end - I was magical. Although my Mum had insisted that I attend in case I was a squib like her and my chances were pretty high given my Father was a muggle.

I miss Snidget. He was my first friend in the magical world and now I don't even know if he is alive. The little guy was forever hoping away on an adventure, Vivianna even found him in the owlery one! When I return to Hogwarts after hunting down Viv my next target will be Snidget. Hopefully he is still in the tank besides my bed and the boys in my dormitory fed him... Unless they released him? I can't see why though, it wasn't as if I'd died.

Bertie.

Last edited by Bertie Nogard on Tue Jan 21, 2014 2:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bertie Nogard
Bertie Nogard

Back to top Go down

Post by Bertie Nogard Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:43 pm

Monday 13th January 2027

My Mum woke me up after another lie in, not that I haven't had any the entire entity of my life for the past few months has been a giant lie in, but I appreciated it all the same. Wanting to spend a few days with me before I return to Hogwarts, how I miss that place, so she decided to take a week off from work. We didn't do much, there wasn't much for me to catch up on with I was hardly interested in the drama at where she works. I pretended to be eagerly excited by the news of an office affair that darn Sandra was having but in all honesty I would have been just as happy to be alone in her presence.

When I'm at Hogwarts I miss her. I miss her more than anyone could imagine. Growing up just the two of us it brought us somewhat closer, a tightly knit pair. Of course I have Viv and Snidget at Hogwarts but the relationship we have is different. It's comforting, reassuring and warming.

So all in all I didn't do much today. I had a lie in, a big breakfast a walk into town, had lunch out then return home to write some more - as if I hadn't done much of that lately.

Bertie
Bertie Nogard
Bertie Nogard

Back to top Go down

Post by Bertie Nogard Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:01 pm

Tuesday 14th January 2027

I wrote a letter to Viv today, I didn't send it, I simply wrote it. It contained all the things that I wanted to say to her. My time at St Mungo's, that I was okay and out of hospital, that I'd wrote two entire novels, over fifty poems, twelve songs and an article about being in Quarantine. There was more than what I'd wrote in the letter, just random statements, my curiosity about what Snidget was up to and what to expect when I return to Hogwarts.

There was an article in The Daily Prophet a fortnight ago informing the nation about a 'reform' in Hogwarts. For starters there is a new Headmistress. I couldn't say much about Professor Rookwood, I was hardly a student under him, but if the rumors that he wasn't there during the werewolf invasion then I'm not surprised the Ministry stepped in. I guess being infected with a mutated strain of the Green Itch has it's perks. I was protected from the risk of lycanthropy.

How I've missed having to write essays with long words that I need to learn about. I miss being quizzed, revising for exams and expanding my knowledge. Hogwarts sent me a few materials to read over but said I could lay off the 'doing work.' I did. I read the required reading within the first week. Being stuck in a hospital bed 24/7 means you get a lot of reading done. After the first month I'd managed to catch up on the entire work for last years Ancient Runes, which I hadn't picked up, meaning when I return I don't need to attend the third year classes simply the fourth year. I can't wait. It's turning out to be an interesting read, whether it's because it's new I'm not too sure.

Some things didn't change during my stay at St Mungo's. Transfiguration. I still don't like the subject. The practical side I love, I get to use my imagination - something that comes easy to me. The theory on the other hand. I still can't wrap my head around the theory behind cross-species switches. I can do the practical without the theory, or at least I think I can, I can't actually try a cross-species switch until I return to Hogwarts. Students aren't allowed to do magic outside of Hogwarts.

Bertie  
Bertie Nogard
Bertie Nogard

Back to top Go down

Post by Bertie Nogard Thu Jan 16, 2014 2:21 pm

Thursday 16th January 2027

I forgot to write yesterday, completely. I didn't write a sentence. My quill didn't even touch my hands, nor then pen considering I use a pen at home.

My Mum wanted to get most of the packing done that way when I head back to Hogwarts next Monday it will be quick. I was going to get the train on Sunday that way I'd be waking up in the windy tower of Ravenclaw on Monday morning, as though nothing had changed. Unfortunately the train wont travel for one student alone and I missed the journey it took to collect the half breed students that are now banned. Meaning that my Uncle, as usual, will take the morning off work to apparate with me to Hogsmede.

I'm not a fan of side-along apparation. In all honesty I'm dreading when I have to learn in the sixth year. I could not take the class but it's such a useful skill to have. Besides, I don't have to use it all the time. Anyway we are doing many short apparation journeys up to the Scottish Highlands. Starting from here to Bristol, then after that to Manchester, then after that the lakes followed by random villages that lead up to Hogsmede. It will probably take about half an hour but at least I wont be vomiting everywhere and need to spend time in the hospital wing. It's my resolution: keep out of trouble.

I miss Vivianna, Snidget, studying, walking around the lake, writing in the clock tower, the sound of pecking of an owl on the dormitory window. I miss the smoke rising from several chimneys that shadow onto the sloping lawns. I miss Erika, she always did brighten up the common room, and I miss the library, the scent of parchment, the house elves cooking. I miss Hogwarts.

Bertie
Bertie Nogard
Bertie Nogard

Back to top Go down

Post by Bertie Nogard Sun Jan 19, 2014 12:47 pm

Sunday 19th Janurary 2027

So it turns out my Uncle can't take me back to Hogwarts tomorrow, a huge case in his area within the department of magical law has led to his bost request he goes to work tomorrow. Something about an illegal shipping with erumpert horns. It looks like I'm going to be home alone for another week seeing as my Mum can't get the time off work either.

The suspense of seeing Viviann's face when she sees me in Hogwarts is building far too much now. My fingers are niggling to write a letter explaining how I'm well and out of St Mungo's. I'm patient, but then my excitement is beginning to bury patience deep under the ground. I have wrote four letters and I've placed four letters in the bin. I was tempted to take them out yesterday but it turns out Mum emptied them in the recycle bin outside and, like every Saturday, it's bin collection day meaning all of them are off in some recycle plant right now.

I could write another letter, but I'm thinking the more the anticipation builds the more fun it will be to surprise Viv! I guess that I have a week to try and find the invisible book of invisibility that I lost... I never even got to read the first page, then again I need magic to read it and I can hardly cast a revealing charm unless of course I quiet like the idea of a receiving a warning letter from the Ministry.

Bertie

Last edited by Bertie Nogard on Tue Jan 21, 2014 2:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bertie Nogard
Bertie Nogard

Back to top Go down

Post by Bertie Nogard Tue Jan 21, 2014 2:08 pm

Monday 20th January 2027

So today I should have gone back to Hogwarts and with my Mum at work for the most of the day I was home alone. A lone wolf. I'm kind of glad my Mum was out today, I felt weak. The healer told me I could feel weak and my joints ache from walking about a lot more - being cooped in a bubble mean't I could hardly walk far, they had a nurse make sure I walked around my bed two hundred times a day. Not fun.

When my Mum came home she took me out to one of the local pubs for a burger and some chips. Unhealthy but it certainly took my pain away, or that could have been the painkillers I took at ten o clock. Either way I had a fun time simply sitting in the pub surrounded by babble and talking to my Mum. It was no Three Broomsticks, gosh I've missed Hogsmede more than I thought, but being surrounded by strangers, random families talk about their day, old man guzzling beer and pointing at the football match blaring from the television. It was refreshing.

My uncle phoned my Mum when we got back, telling her he wont be able to take me back to Hogwarts for at least another week. At least. I haven't told my Mum, but one day alone was boring I just want to jump right back into school life! I'll give Uncle John a week and if there is still no sign of returning to Hogwarts I think I'll take a trip on the knight bus. I've never used the bus so that'll be quiet the adventure even if I am on there for over ten hours.

Bertie
Bertie Nogard
Bertie Nogard

Back to top Go down

Post by Bertie Nogard Sat Feb 08, 2014 4:04 pm

Sunday 26th January 2027

So an entire week has passed since I have wrote, well, I've wrote other things just not a diary entry so I guess my new years resolution to document each day of the year has been forgotten. In all honesty there hasn't been much to write about. I've been home alone, ate really big meals with my Mum who keeps insisting I look too thin after the hospital food, which isn't that bad but I ate the four roast dinners anyway.

This evening I received a letter from my head of house, Professor Cooper. It turns out she has a meeting tomorrow at the ministry of magic at ten o' clock and seeing as my Uncle is still too busy with work because of the new laws she has offered to collect me after her meeting. It feels surreal to be going back. I'll be seeing Vivianna, Snidget, Erika, the portraits, the turrets, the sweeping lawns and I'll get to walk through the library and sit by the large window once again.

My trunk has been packed for over a week meaning this evening I simply spent it with my Mum and Grandma, who'd came to bid me farewell. We played board games, watched old TV episodes of Greys Anatomy that my Mum used to love around the time I was born. I have to say, that Christina Yang is quiet the character! I guess that will be one thing I'll miss besides my Mum. Greys Anatomy. The past two weeks I've gotten so into it, so much so I've watched three seasons in two weeks. I'm glad Burke has left, I didn't really like him.

Anyway, now I need to put the pen down, turn off the light and close my eyes ready for an early rise tomorrow. This time tomorrow I'll be snuggled up in Ravenclaw Tower. How surreal!

Bertie
Bertie Nogard
Bertie Nogard

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum