Names in the wind
Welcome to Potter’s Army

Welcome to Potter's Army

We have been a Harry Potter Roleplaying site since 2007. If you're an old member we hope you come check out the discord link provided below. And if you're looking for a new roleplaying site, well, we're a little inactive. But every once and a while nostalgia sets in and a few of our alumni members will revisit the old stomping grounds and post together. Remember to stay safe out there. And please feel free to drop a line whenever!

Names in the wind Li9olo10

What’s Happening?
Since every few months or so a few of our old members get the inspiration to revisit their old stomping grounds we have decided to keep PA open as a place to revisit old threads and start new ones devoid of any serious overarching plot or setting. Take this time to start any of those really weird threads you never got to make with old friends and make them now! Just remember to come say hello in the chatbox below or in the discord. Links have been provided in the "Comings and Goings" forum as well as the welcome widget above.

Names in the wind

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Names in the wind Empty Names in the wind

Post by Leah Valentai Tue Aug 20, 2013 1:23 am

Independence was sweet, even if it's arrival was somewhat unexpected and facilitated by the individual whom it was bestowed upon. Leah's arm rumbled with the jolt of variation as the dip between slabs of concrete bounced the wheels upon which his trolley ran.

His parents -and the troupe- were performing now, at this very time. It felt odd to be without them, he'd grown accustomed to their presence again and had brushed up on some of the skills that had gone rusty during the school term. He couldn't strum as fast or as sing for as long as he once could now, but maturity had given him an edge that youth lacked.
    It also gave him a cracking voice -somewhat reduced by his degree of mastery over his vocal cords, but physical maturation couldn't be denied- and Leah had become somewhat wary of singing to himself now for fear of hearing that loss of tonal control. Back to instruments then.
    Leah smiled as he saw the familiar pillar of red brick that stood in contrast to the modern outfit of the Train Station.

Manoeuvring himself through the crowd, Leah trailed into the wake of a family who looked reasonably like him and were unmistakably Muggle. It was a game he had his parents had played on his first year, hanging back as the Hogwarts Professor had indicated and watched people get onto Platform Nine and three quarters before trying it themselves. Eventually it became a competition for each family member to pick a new arrival to the station within the crowd -the arrival couldn't be past the 6th or 11th platform, and see if they could pick out magical families. Some where easy, and others. Well, others had been doing this for such a long time, they simply vanished into the crowd- becoming nearly indistinguishable from the rest before slipping through the immaterial barrier. It wasn't nearly as fun to play by yourself however, so he missed out on it this time round and peeled off from the family and wandered through the red brick pillar, kicking the wheels of the trolley to allow it to simply slide sideways.
    And poof, he was gone from the Mundane section of the Train Station.

Mingling with the Magical community was a good bit harder, a lot of people were already in their robes, only having worn Mundane garments for the undercover portion of their journey.
    Shifting through the crowds, Leah approached the train- he didn't have anyone in particular to meet or try and find, so he grabbed a carriage while they were all mostly empty. A funny thing about people was that they tended to avoid entering carriages that only had one occupant. There needed to be a REAL incentive for them to overcome that social bias and enter.
    He pinched the bridge of his nose as he held in that train of thought- no need to get so psycho-analytical on figments of his imagination. He'd cross that bridge when it presented itself. For now...he needed to get a head start on the rest of his year. Last one had been nearly unbearable, and while mental maturation was impeding as far as his physical, everyone else in his year would be experiencing the same changes relatively soon. It wasn't an advantage he could rely on, so this step forwards was going to be the same as ever: knowledge.
    Truthfully, he felt that he might try and improve his relations with some of the teachers this year. An apprenticeship would mean a good deal for him in future.

Ah, so much to do and the year had only just begun.

Leah Valentai
Leah Valentai
Fourth Year Ravenclaw
Fourth Year Ravenclaw

Number of posts : 44

Back to top Go down

Names in the wind Empty Re: Names in the wind

Post by Leonara Lynwood Tue Aug 20, 2013 2:37 am

It was a horrible day to be in a train, Leo thought.

The sky was blue, the air clean; and what a day to be trapped inside of a metal box with wheels. The trees, the wind - Leo missed her sanctuary of leaves and sun.

Shaking the thoughts from her head, Leo stared down the ominous hall of the train. She felt crushed by just looking at the walls - they were closing in on her, suffocating. She forced her legs to walk. They felt like stiff boards of wood. She passed a door, then another, then another. They seemed to meld together.

Suddenly, the walls became too tight. They clamped down on her. Leo's hands grew lax. Her suitcase fell to the ground and Leo, to her knees. She clutched at her head, the darkness closing in.

Last edited by Leonara Lynwood on Tue Aug 20, 2013 5:37 am; edited 1 time in total
Leonara Lynwood
Leonara Lynwood
First Year Hufflepuff
First Year Hufflepuff

Number of posts : 66

Back to top Go down

Post by Leah Valentai Tue Aug 20, 2013 3:28 am

Thump

Leah glanced up from his book, the sound barely managing to compete with the other sensory stimuli such as the sounds pouring in from the window placed ajar for the slight breeze that came in through the window.
    But still, it competed and was noticed by Leah who directed his gaze to the bottom corner of the book, the number 152 was reflected in some tiny corner of his orbs as he closed the text, a title of 'Quicksilver' briefly flashing before the proverbial minds eye, even if the reader hadn't acknowledge it directly.
    Approaching the compartment door- he was a little puzzeled as to which direction the noise and come from, but common sense said that it probably would have become overcome or noticed by people outside the train, so he decided to look within. And it happened to pay off, as the sliding door glided open -when those coasters came off they were a right pain- and outside was a young girl -he wouldn't have put her any older then twelve however- evidently in some distress.

And if there was something Leah loathed above all else, it was pain. Especially seeing it on another person without due cause, his legs already in motion before his cognition had commanded them, Leah was at her side, already pondering what role to play for this situation. What mask to put on?
    "Hey, hey," Leah murmured, trying to coax her into a walking position, somewhat at a loss for anything helpful to say. Pulling up her suitcase, Leah helped her towards the door- mind wiring for some match, some illness that corresponded with these symptoms. Nothing, nothing, and he didn't like that.

"Come on in," Leah said gently, keeping his voice on an even keel as he entered the compartment. She could leave when she felt better, but right now there was the real possibility of being stepped on by older students. Conversation could be quite distracting at times.

Still, the outcome of this was largely uncertain. Terrified of doing the wrong thing, or saying something offensive Leah proceeded with doing his good deed for the day.

Leah Valentai
Leah Valentai
Fourth Year Ravenclaw
Fourth Year Ravenclaw

Back to top Go down

Post by Leonara Lynwood Tue Aug 20, 2013 3:46 am

"Nng..." Leo moaned in pain. There was someone helping her - someone tall, it seemed. With the help of her rescuer, Leo stumbled into the cabin, collapsing into one of the chairs. "Window," she gasped, inching towards the glass. With effort, she tugged the pane up.

Breathing in deeply, she grinned and turned to the stranger. "Better," she said, showing her pearly teeth. "These halls are much too small for the people they hold, I think," She laughed and slid onto the leather seats again, pulling her feet up into the booth as she did. "I'm Leonara Lila Lynwood, but please, call me Leo. I'd rather be lion than a light, and a beast than a fire. That is, if the lion is the nice type. Or maybe the fearless type. But anyway, I'm rambling, yes? Sorry, your name is?"
Leonara Lynwood
Leonara Lynwood
First Year Hufflepuff
First Year Hufflepuff

Back to top Go down

Post by Leah Valentai Tue Aug 20, 2013 4:03 am

Leah took his seat -which actually wasn't the one he took before, he just plonked himself down at the closest one to him- as he watched the girl organise some better ventilation for herself.
Things were apparently taking a turn for the better, and the mirror neurons in the back of his brain kicked his space into reciprocating her smile.
Not that he hadn't been going to, but he was aware of where the impulse came from.

Leah chuckled, the unfortunate truth in that statement was that,"Things will only get worse as you get older unfortunately, it's quite cramped as it is." He was pretty sure that the Prefects Compartment was larger then their own, but he had never heard for certain. Something to verify perhaps.
Like most Ravenclaws, Leah had a very large tolerance for rambling, and found her outburst of semi-poetry rather refreshing. "Don't stop on my account Leo-lass," one eyebrow suggested that he wasn't sure about the name either, but was going to try it anyway. "If we're all friends, and a mile-wide is a mile closer, a bit of extra doesn't go missing." Leah tapped his chin thoughtfully, he could have executed that better.
"But if we're being businesslike, I'm Leah Valentai." He gave her a second to digest this -perhaps seeing if she'd heard of him before, you never knew- before playing his part in the conversational dance. "So are you a fearless lion or some beast with fire?" Queried Leah, using some of her own words to develop a theme to the conversation.
Leah Valentai
Leah Valentai
Fourth Year Ravenclaw
Fourth Year Ravenclaw

Back to top Go down

Post by Leonara Lynwood Tue Aug 20, 2013 4:36 am

"Why, I'm neither, Leah-sir!" she grinned toothily. "I'd rather be a lion than a fire, a man than a lion, and a woman than a man!" she giggled. "And don't give me an eyebrow about my name. It's Leo, Leo, or Leo, if you prefer." a glint of honest amusement glittered in her eyes. "Coming from a boy named 'Leah,' I think that our names are as respectable as bread and honey!"

A sudden creak from the train startled Leo. She pulled her knees into her chest, breathing steadily. "Oh, it figures that this would get worse. If a mule is stubborn, let him be. But if a horse, wait 'till he gets worse." Closing her eyes and counting softly to ten, Leo rocked steadily back and forth. Then, her eyes snapped open. "But I'm as rude as a prude and funny as a duck. Leah, what year are you? I'm a first year, green as grass."
Leonara Lynwood
Leonara Lynwood
First Year Hufflepuff
First Year Hufflepuff

Back to top Go down

Post by Leah Valentai Tue Aug 20, 2013 6:09 am

Leah chuckled at her progression of preference, enjoying the idle wit of the young girl. "It sounds as if you have your wishes all granted. For I see no flame, no mane and no male particulars- did you wish on a star?"
There didn't seem to be any particular rhyme or reason to this exchange, but Leah fancied that it was as much as to distract Leo from her claustrophobia as it was to pass the time. And it wasn't a bad way either.
"Am I a boy? Maybe I'm that little something inbetween, a bit of both; not quite either." Of course, he wasn't the most masculine person around, but that was him just playing for time in this odd little whimsical conversations. Her comparison to bread and honey was untouchable however, that wasn't something he was going to poke at.
It was nearly a universal law the honey and bread went well together. "Quack, quack, quack. Three little ducks went out one day, over the hill and far away. Mother duck went 'quack, quack, quack,' and four little ducks came back."
That was perhaps, terribly pedestrian of Leah, but he was gambling on the girl to either have no knowledge of the nursery rhyme and hence have no priors when she heard it. Or either she was and the message was obtuse enough to be seen in the rhyme. He'd been away for three years, and this was his fourth one. Maybe it could have phrased it better, but he felt the reversal was important for clarity.
Or as clear as it could be, it seemed that being obvious wasn't the aim of the game here.
Leah Valentai
Leah Valentai
Fourth Year Ravenclaw
Fourth Year Ravenclaw

Back to top Go down

Post by Leonara Lynwood Tue Aug 20, 2013 6:42 am

Leo grinned wide and laughed. "Ducks are merely pawns to time - do they come, will they shine? Each is different, each is fine; but watch their footsteps, worth more than dimes." Then she frowned. "I didn't like that at all." Quirking a lopsided smile, Leo said, "I owe many things to a certain person. Who is it? Not a star that granted wishes, just a friend that flick the switches." Leo shifted her legs, feet now settled on the ground. "As for you? Well, I think that you're a Leah, of course. And me?" She laughed. "My ducks, I fear, are small and few - only one, not even done."

Leo smiled mischievously. She liked the way Leah played his conversation. But she, too, loved the game. "A pair of lions in the distance, left behind their cub with kisses. Cub goes forth, brings a torch, venture to far off north. Back at home, beasts will feast. Wait to hear of their cub's feats. Lion, one, blood called pure. Two - blood, dark as her fur." Leo looked at Leah. "Now what do you think?"

The riddle, like the game, would be difficult. Leo only hope that Leah would not mind her blood status. Leah looked like a pureblood - sharp features, that nose - but Leo would only wait to find out.

Poetry, to Leo, were second nature. Riddles were the obvious follow of poetry. From a young age, Leo had spoke in rhyme - it flowed like the wind through the trees, or the river's current. Smooth, cool, fresh - like water gems falling from a cliff. Beautiful things.

Leo wondered idly if Leah would remain her friend once they reached Hogwarts. Was she too strange, even in a world full of magic?
Leonara Lynwood
Leonara Lynwood
First Year Hufflepuff
First Year Hufflepuff

Back to top Go down

Post by Leah Valentai Tue Aug 20, 2013 7:38 am

Leah waved his hand to as a mime of 'clearing the board' to so speak, as if her words had been etched in white chalk on a pleasant green field- hovering in the air between them.
"Some works come, and go too fast. But in that speed there is beauty, and in the absence there is spacious imagination. Take two back, three forward. Make like a triangle and go full circle: all that really matters is where you start."
Possibly the less clear and more meaningful of his statements, Leah hoped the message came across readily enough.
"If I were to attribute my life to a thousand different faceless men, I'd spend a year and a day counting in the hay. So why not label it all unto a grand puppetmaster? We're all actors on his stage. Call it square with him (who else will listen?) and we'll put it on the title page."
Leah chucked at the comment about her ducks, "Listen briefly, a duck may lay two eggs, a pair may lay five, but keep them all a secret and all alive. Nothing is more confusing then the roads of life, and thirty dimes is well paid if it buys you a map." He wasn't sure about that one, it felt a little weak.

"Blood is blood, and water is water. Ashes to ashes, dust to dust- we're all in the same boat of blood on a sea of brine. Why waste time keeping it all in line? Mix and match, let Darwin have his game." From her own little sprout, Leah had decided that Leo shared his blood status, so he pulled in a bit of knowledge only one who'd studied some Mundane texts would have. Study of evolution wasn't really on the Hogwarts curriculum.  
That said, he didn't outright state his muggleborn (or 1st gen magi) status right off the bat. That'd be more then a little crude for this softly crafted game.

Much like Leo, poetry was familiar to Leah. He was brought up on a stage, all manner of works were read and recited around him. He wasn't as good at it as her (he might have been a better competitor on his own first year due to more recent practise and exposure, but he had let that side of his education in the arts slip somewhat) but it was still familiar enough that he didn't feel lost in her prose.
It would be interesting to see where the Hat placed her. Come to think of it, the baggy old thing needed a name. Stanely came to mind, but it seemed like Hat did a good job as well.
Leah Valentai
Leah Valentai
Fourth Year Ravenclaw
Fourth Year Ravenclaw

Back to top Go down

Post by Leonara Lynwood Tue Aug 20, 2013 4:06 pm

"Goodness me to skies and heavens," Leo giggled, "It seems my game is no longer mine to stay." She offered her hand. "I will concede this match, sir-Leah," she said, "But the game goes on - battles and wars - time seems long, and the lions roar." Putting a finger to her lips, Leo added, "though patiently."

Sitting back in a lax hold of anxiety yet content, Leo's eyes twitched at the doors. Their endless grasp of shadows seem to grasp hold of Leo again, and she shook violently. She jerked her head towards the window, starring cautiously at the rushing landscape. "My parents are poets," she said, distracting herself from darker things, "We used to start everyday with a new rhyme. How did the rules of the game come upon you?" She smiled. "Perhaps your friend Darwin taught you?"

She was not sure of this "Darwin" character, but he certainly seemed like a interesting fellow. Honestly, he sounded just like the purist purebloods who wrapped themselves in delusion and ignorance. Leah did not seem like this - if anything, he seemed more of an inventor than a conformist. But no matter the views, Leo decided that Leah seemed a good sort.
Leonara Lynwood
Leonara Lynwood
First Year Hufflepuff
First Year Hufflepuff

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top