You scratch my back, I'll scratch yours - Page 2
Welcome to Potter’s Army

Welcome to Potter's Army

We have been a Harry Potter Roleplaying site since 2007. If you're an old member we hope you come check out the discord link provided below. And if you're looking for a new roleplaying site, well, we're a little inactive. But every once and a while nostalgia sets in and a few of our alumni members will revisit the old stomping grounds and post together. Remember to stay safe out there. And please feel free to drop a line whenever!

You scratch my back, I'll scratch yours - Page 2 Li9olo10

What’s Happening?
Since every few months or so a few of our old members get the inspiration to revisit their old stomping grounds we have decided to keep PA open as a place to revisit old threads and start new ones devoid of any serious overarching plot or setting. Take this time to start any of those really weird threads you never got to make with old friends and make them now! Just remember to come say hello in the chatbox below or in the discord. Links have been provided in the "Comings and Goings" forum as well as the welcome widget above.

You scratch my back, I'll scratch yours

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

You scratch my back, I'll scratch yours - Page 2 Empty Re: You scratch my back, I'll scratch yours

Post by Elijah Krum Sun Jun 12, 2011 10:18 pm

Viktor wanted this over faster than the Roman Empire so he was willing to pull strings. Elijah was going to be an obstacle. He wasn’t going to be that much of an obstacle though. Mira had elected to inform Viktor about what had happened in the dorms regarding Elijah’s response to her mentioning Chase and the children. That was enough to prove that he missed them – enough to prove that he needed them. Any chance he’d get to see those children again, Viktor was confident that he’d jump at it. However, they wouldn’t know that unless they had his input so Viktor looked at Irina and asked quietly as to the location of Harry. She looked at him blankly and he gestured for her to rise. She did so, her lips coming together with irritation, and she stomped over to the fireplace. She threw the Floo powder down and disappeared in the flames.

Viktor chuckled. “She’s definitely different to Marina.” He commented. “Much more childish – and childlike. I suppose in some ways she was definitely a good choice; in many ways in fact. So, how are you coping looking very much like a seventh-month pregnant woman. Clearly you’ve got more than one bun cooking in there so do tell...any names cropping up yet?”

Small talk had never been Viktor’s forte necessarily. Thankfully, it didn’t take Irina long to return. In tow was Harry and a rather confused looking Elijah. It was amazing how quickly the Krums worked though it probably consisted of dragging Eli and Sevastian out of Hogsmeade. Viktor rose from his seat and gestured for Elijah to sit. The dark-haired artist hugged a rather large tome to his chest and looked at his father suspiciously before taking a seat. Irina too sat down and watched her step-son as he fumbled with his bag. Finally it dropped to the ground and he sat, placing the book gently on his lap. Irina looked over at the title and smiled appraisingly before sitting back. She felt Viktor’s hands on her shoulders and she looked up at him, barely containing her smiles.

Elijah looked up, meeting the gaze of the woman behind the desk. His breath caught in his throat as the movie reel began to play memories that included the woman in various stages of the last year. He blinked, finding images of Fauve and Thierry within those memories. Then of course they grew dark and Barker’s face loomed in Elijah’s mind – Khaat’s sacrifice loomed in his mind. Then of course, so did his inadvertent abandonment of the woman that had been his mother when Marina had not. Elijah’s hand came up and curled around the locket that hung from its gold chain around his neck. He sighed shakily and cleared his throat before dropping his gaze to the book. He scratched off a piece of lint that lay on the cover before looking up at his father.

“W-why am I here? Healer Meadows said that I was alright. The memories are coming back. I’m accessing them. Everything’s fine!” He defended himself quickly, desperate not to be put back in the medical environment. “I...” Elijah bit his lip again and looked at Khaat. “You’re pregnant.” He stated, his eyes falling to her stomach for the first time. “I...wow. Congratulations. Is this going to take a while? I feel bad leaving Sev in Hogsmeade all alone like that.”

Harry spoke up then, “Sevastian is with his cousins. Don’t worry, Elijah, he’s not alone.” Elijah looked over at Harry, his eyes widening. He ducked his head once more and clawed at the book, wishing for a black hole to come out of nowhere and swallow him whole. He didn’t like this. He couldn’t help but wonder whether they were going to tell him bad news. Things couldn’t actually get much worse – what was this, insult to injury?
Elijah Krum
Elijah Krum
Sixth Year Slytherin
Sixth Year Slytherin

Number of posts : 4833
Special Abilities : Occlumens, Parseltongue, Animagus
Occupation : Owner of Eli's Fine Dining, Artist, Deputy Minister of Magic

Back to top Go down

You scratch my back, I'll scratch yours - Page 2 Empty Re: You scratch my back, I'll scratch yours

Post by Khaat Lupin Sun Jun 12, 2011 10:52 pm

"I like her, Viktor," Khaat smiled, when Viktor said she was different from Marina. "She's a lovely woman. I wish you both well, and personally, I wouldn't mind shopping for her. It appears I may be short on some baby things very soon.. I'm working on names, but I don't have anything solid yet. I am not quite five months. I know it looks like more than that, but thats the truth. I have at least four months to go...."

Then figures apparated in. Khaat didn't move. She pained seeing the fear in his eyes. "Hello, Eli," she said softly. When he was startled at how very pregnant she was and stumbled through a congratulations, she laughed slightly. "Thank you. Eli, no one is going to re-admit you here. I didn't ask you here for that. Relax. No one wants to harm you.

"Your father and I have been talking," she continued. "I know you well enough to know that you miss Fauve and Thierry. And if I know you at all, you're missing them more than you've said. I still am your guardian. And I don't know if you remember, but I am the Chief Warlock. I have been looking into the legalities of this so called adoption of Fauve and Thierry. I can help you get them back, if you like. If you're willing to agree to a couple of conditions."

There. She'd said it. Clearly. Concisely. She had brought it out quickly to reduce his fear.
Khaat Lupin
Khaat Lupin
Gryffindor Graduate
Gryffindor Graduate

Number of posts : 22721
Special Abilities : Energy Worker, Medium, Heightened Sensitivity

Back to top Go down

Post by Elijah Krum Mon Jun 13, 2011 6:14 pm

In all honesty, being readmitted was the least of Elijah’s concerns. Though it was a concern in its own right, it didn’t bother him as much as the prospect of some events did. A meeting with Khaat didn’t seem too bad but he was apprehensive of her choice of words and what those words would mean for him. As of late, his father’s decisions had been poor. Elijah was suspicious of his father’s intentions for that reason and more. The parties that were over-zealous, the wife that was pretty but not at all interesting...it all seemed like Viktor wasn’t actually making those decisions. The man had never been fond of fame but now he was utilising it – something Elijah had been taught to do from an early age. It was bizarre seeing his father act that way after years of Elijah being told to do the same. Now it was just a case of finding out what Viktor had done.

Her words came quick enough and they struck Elijah like a wave of freezing cold water. He blinked at her, flabbergasted, not believing for a second what he was hearing. Fauve and Thierry were long gone, in Chase’s care. He had to trust that she was looking after them. He wasn’t happy about it – far from it in fact – but he could remember her interactions with them and so he could trust with confidence that they were safe and sound – though he couldn’t be sure forever and that was what bothered him. But he could have them back. Elijah’s heart should have been soaring but he was sceptical. What had his father done to ensure this? He looked over at the man in question, staring at him as if searching for an answer. When one didn’t reveal itself, Elijah bit his lip and looked back at Khaat.

“Is Chase giving them back?” Elijah asked. “W-what about Kitty? What’s going to happen to her? I...was this cleared with her and what conditions? What’s brought this on? I am pleased though I think bewildered would be a more appropriate word to make use of. Why do I get them back? What’s happened? She’s not going to give them up without a fight!”

"That's merely a technicality," Viktor waved his hand, causing Harry to snort and Irina to 'tsk'. "But do elaborate Khaat, because I am interested also; what conditions?"
Elijah Krum
Elijah Krum
Sixth Year Slytherin
Sixth Year Slytherin

Back to top Go down

Post by Khaat Lupin Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:55 pm

"From a legal standpoint, your father is quite correct," Khaat said calmly. "From an emotional standpoint, I don't honestly do care about how Chase feels, just like I care about you. And I don't believe she will take this at all well. However, the adoption, counter to whatever you or Chase believed, was not legal in the least. Here's how it breaks down. When someone is a citizen of the wizarding community, the muggle government is not sovereign. The wizarding government is. Furthermore, in the muggle world, Chase and you are both minors--not adults. Not able to enter into adoptions. Chase did the adoption in a muggle court. Therefore, it cannot and does not stand.

"Furthermore, it does not stand in our courts either. Chase cannot sign any legal documents regarding custody of any child. And, as her guardian and yours, by our laws, the technical, legal responsibility regarding Kitty becomes mine by default until you both reach legal age. Period.

"Now, regarding Fauve and Thierry. The truth was, you didn't actually have legal custody of them either. However, the Ministry has remedied that. An adult had to be appointed. Since Thierry is biologically yours and Fauve has spent most of her life with you, it is the decision of the ministry that they not continue to stay with Chase. I have been appointed their legal guardian as well. But, as your father said, that is a technicality. Eli, I have never thought you were anything but a wonderful father. Chase appears to be a wonderful mother. Your father and I believe it might be possible to return them to you. I am not sure what motivated Chase to seek custody for certain, but, mostly, I believe she is bitter towards you because things didn't work out between you and her. That's not a good enough reason in my book to try to go and underhandedly take Fauve and Thierry. If she had really been concerned, she certainly knew enough to contact me. Chase is a smart girl. This was, so far as I am concerned, deliberate. And it has to be set right by our laws.

"She isn't going to like it, but Chase has no choice. I can, and I will, go and get them with the court order that has been executed for her to surrender them to me. Now--since, so far as I am concerned, you are their father, you and I need to discuss where they go from here. Are you well enough to take them with you? Or should I keep them with me for awhile?" She truly did want his honest opinion.
Khaat Lupin
Khaat Lupin
Gryffindor Graduate
Gryffindor Graduate

Back to top Go down

Post by Elijah Krum Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:35 pm

Harry shook his head and stepped forward, placing his hands on the back of Elijah’s chair. He poked the Bulgarian in the back and Eli flinched a little before glancing up at Harry. The Harrow boy winked at him before turning his gaze back on Khaat and becoming serious once more. He swallowed and parted his lips, the words already forming in his mouth.

“That depends what country you’re referring to,” He spoke confidently. “Here in Britain he has been of age for a year. At home, in Bulgaria, he’s been of age since he was fourteen – or at least at age of consent. France is fifteen and therefore he’s been legal for two years. Those surely make the adoption legal. They certainly make them legal here. He took Fauve and Thierry in prior to your guardianship of him. I don’t understand why he needs a guardian anymore. He is seventeen-years-old. In the eyes of the Wizarding World he is an adult. In the eyes of the Muggle World in three of the most important countries relevant to this whole affair he is of age. Tell me how he is still a minor; please...I’d love to know!”

Elijah dropped his head into his hands and Viktor muttered a silent prayer. Irina’s lips formed a thin line and she gripped her husband’s hands as they all sat there in silence. Harry had not been wrong but he’d phrased everything the wrong way. There was no stopping him though and Elijah had a feeling he was trying to justify more than a few things in his own mind. The facts all seemed wrong. It was all wrong.

“Harry is nearly eight years old. He cannot be Elijah’s.” Elijah continued to shake his head in his hands, wishing that a hole would come and swallow him. He didn’t need this now. The icing on the cake would be having Vivienne walk through the Floo with Giselle in tow. He really didn’t need to have a discussion with them right now. “Your laws are backwards if you honestly think that those children were not legally his! Fauve’s custody was squared with Vivienne. That was sorted with a court in Paris. Thierry’s custody was squared with Giselle and Theo – also sorted in Paris. He is legal in Paris. He is an adult in Paris. He was when he got Fauve and he was when he got Thierry; ergo, the adoption was legal. If the adoption does not stand then they don’t belong to you or anyone else. They belong to their mothers. Now, let’s seriously think for a second here, Elijah, Viktor. Who is going to be the one to call Vivienne and tell her someone has buggered this up? Who is going to deal with that flaming banshee? She’s not going to be interrupted from a sodding pedicure just to tell you and remind you.” He looked pointedly at Viktor. “What you should already know. Now, who is going to be brave enough to Floo Ms. Mercier?”

Elijah groaned audibly and shook himself, signalling no. He was not going to talk to Vivienne – she’d beat him black and blue for interrupting whatever she was doing – like Harry had said. He was right of course but he’d just been rude about it and Elijah understood why. The Harrow was under and immense about of stress, something as pivotal as being a minor or a legal consenting adult was what made Krum politics legal. That’s what had always bothered Harry. It unhinged him. Elijah could only reach up and take Harry’s hands with his. He kissed each palm before lacing his fingers with his cousin’s.

“Hold your horses hot shot. Let’s not be rude to her.” He murmured, realising one hand to reach up and pat Harry on the jaw. He looked at Khaat and bit his lip before summing up what Harry said in a nicer way. “He, um, wasn’t wrong. Fauve’s ‘adoption’ was legal – done in a Parisian Wizarding Court. Vivienne was there. She squared it all up. Theo and Giselle more or less flogged Thierry to me. Made him a legal sale so to speak. So, um...basically what Harry said minus the attitude and the shittiness.” Elijah squeezed Harry’s hands and glared at him. Viktor had remained surprisingly quite. It was a good thing too otherwise he probably would have gutted the boy.
Elijah Krum
Elijah Krum
Sixth Year Slytherin
Sixth Year Slytherin

Back to top Go down

Post by Khaat Lupin Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:00 pm

Khaat bristled, protective of Eli. Eli and VIktor knew all too well how and when and why her guardianship had extended beyond Britain's legal age. In Khaat's mind, if Eli wanted to tell him that, that was his business. Khaat was not going to recite perhaps a bit of history that Eli did not want discussed here. She directed her attention directly to Eli, looking eye to eye with him.

"I am quite positive you understand why I am not answering that, Eli," she said with iron firmness. She was angry now at Harry's arrogance. "If you choose to go into that with Harry, please do so. I shall not. My obligation is to you--not to Harry. The bottom line is that Chase's adoption was not and is not legal. I can and I will get Fauve and Thierry back. However, since you do have a legal guardian now and that has happened not only before but after you became adult age as well, that supercedes many of the Parisian adoption laws. Now--I have no issue whatsoever if you parent your children. I have always wanted that for you. You know that. Above anyone else in this room, you know that.

"As for my number one condition for them being returned to you? You know the primary answer to that. I have generally only made one, and only one, requirement of you--ever. You will complete your education. How we work that out, well, that is flexible. You show me that you can complete your schooling and take good care of yourself and the kids, and the rest is up for negotiation, just like its always been. What have I ever told you no about except for dropping out of school?"
Khaat Lupin
Khaat Lupin
Gryffindor Graduate
Gryffindor Graduate

Back to top Go down

Post by Elijah Krum Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:19 pm

Harry sighed. He hated lawyers. All form of law enforcement people. Their arrogance and borderline idiocy superseded common sense and facts. He leaned down and rested his chin on Elijah’s shoulder. His arms came around Viktor’s heir and he looked over at Harry, a small smile on his lips. Harry nudged Elijah’s forehead with his own before extracting his hands from his. Elijah pouted and Harry smirked at him before bringing his hands down onto the armrests. The education condition was overrated. Technically, Elijah was a year behind what he should have already known but at least two ahead because of all of the hiding/reading he did at Durmstrang. So really he was in line but Harry knew how much he wanted out – how much he hated Hogwarts and everyone there. He didn’t want to be in that place. If that was the stipulation though, no doubt he’d already found his way out.

“I will contact Micah,” Viktor spoke up; smirking over at his son as if al, three minds had been connected at that same point in time. “It’ll be interesting to see how excited he’ll get regarding the prospect of those prodigies and you back in his grasp once more. Hogwarts no longer serves the purposes it once did. I will be frank with you here, Khaat. Hogwarts is as bad as Beauxbatons. I’d send him to Durmstrang but we all know how well that turned out. Micah will do a splendid enough job. He taught Elijah when he was a child and he taught Fauve and Thierry while they were with us. He’s always been mournful about losing Elijah’s mouldable brain so it’d be good to treat him. He spends far too much time in the library – it’s about time he got back into the dining room with you, sound good?”

Elijah nodded, resting his face in his palm. He looked over at Khaat. “I am not prepared to do what I did last time. I’m not attempting to father them from goodness only knows how many miles away. It’s ridiculous. I’m wasting my time. Half the classes I don’t go to anyway. I can sum Hogwarts up for you. Doyle’s always in a shit, Wilson’s always in a shit and McCoy always does something weird with the stuff I transfigure – not that I go often. I learned more from Micah than I ever did from Durmstrang or from Hogwarts so I want to learn at home. I will get it done quicker and I’ll be able to look after them properly. If I can’t be there twenty-four-seven then I may as well not bother. That’s why I’ve always wanted to throw ‘education’ out of the equation. N.E.W.T’s aren’t going to get me anywhere. I paint. I can’t do anything else apart from Transfigure things into cats. Arnold gives me an erratic but steady-enough income so I fail to see why, in Merlin’s name, I still need a sodding education but I’ll go with it. I’m not going back to Hogwarts, though. They're gearing up for some weird stuff and I'd rather not be a part of' it.”

“Fair’s fair. I’ll pull Cecilia, Adam, Sevastian and Elisabeth as well as a few others out and you can have a little class of sorts. How does that sound, Ms. Lupin? If you must then you can come in and check. I assure you though Stelladora is not going to accept any slacking from him – she never did. Micah won’t either. He nurtures minds; he doesn’t fill them with uselessness. So, do we have an accord?”
Elijah Krum
Elijah Krum
Sixth Year Slytherin
Sixth Year Slytherin

Back to top Go down

Post by Khaat Lupin Tue Jun 14, 2011 11:33 pm

Khaat knew very well that things were not going well at Hogwarts and might become worse, drastically, at any given moment. What she didn't want was Eli caught in the middle of that. She looked at Viktor now.

"I want him to receive his diploma, Viktor," she said firmly. "In these political times, it is going to become more and more important. If we do this, then, we do it my way. I will agree to this Micah, whoever he is, as long as Eli gets that education. But--at the end of it, I want him to show up as a graduate. Here's what I'll do. I'll extend Eli's medical leave in order that he can, at least for now, school at home. I'll arrange it with Doyle. I don't know that I have the medical ability to do the same for Cecilia because I have never ever seen her one time as a patient. That piece puts me in a bind. Of the names you mentioned, the only one I know is Eli's. But then again, I'm not their guardian, so you do what you like there.

"I do know the situation at Hogwarts is tenous at best. And I have no desire to see anyone's child caught in the middle of that mess. I have no objection to his getting out of there."

Then she looked at Eli. "I know you paint. And you paint beautifully. I have, so far, not seen a piece of your art that I didn't love. And I know its most likely what you will want to do for the rest of your life. That's fine by me. Whatever makes you happy. That's what I want for you." She sighed heavily. "If we can work out the llittle petty details, then we have an accord."
Khaat Lupin
Khaat Lupin
Gryffindor Graduate
Gryffindor Graduate

Back to top Go down

Post by Elijah Krum Wed Jun 15, 2011 8:19 pm

“If I am getting them back then I want to do this my own way,” Elijah spoke up, voicing his own opinion for the first time since he’d arrived. “I don’t want anyone clearing anything with anyone. I’m fine. I feel fine. I’m not ill, there’s nothing wrong with me. I just...I want to raise them. They’re my children and I’ve always only ever wanted to do right by them. I don’t know how much time I am going to have for studying. I was going to fail my N.E.W.T’s anyway but I’ll give it a go. My primary objective is to raise them, though. Please understand that Khaat. I am not interested in school or education. If I want to learn then I’ll do that in my own time. I’ll make time for it. All Hogwarts has ever done is take me away from them and if I get them back then I am raising them. I’ll get my diploma eventually but really, a N.E.W.T in Care of Magical Creatures isn’t going to get me very far.”

Elijah drummed his fingers against his leg, the clink-clink of rings seemingly weaving his thoughts together. He didn’t know what he was supposed to say to make Khaat understand that with his children in the equation, spending all day ‘learning’ was really the least most desirable thing to do. Those were his children. He had things to fall back on – to sell when he needed the cash. He could do this without fail. He wanted to prove that. He didn’t want people sat there discussing whether or not he should have his education or not. He was his own person with his own head on his shoulders. He’d make this decision and they needed to know that.

“I don’t want anyone making decisions for me anymore,” He announced gently, his voice firm and steady. “I don’t want assumptions to be made that are supposedly based on my welfare. I am not a child. The children are Fauve and Thierry and I am their father. I would like to live and raise them the way I want to and that is without guardianship stipulations hanging over my head and family issues that truly mean nothing to me suddenly becoming my business too. I want to have my freedom. I am an adult am I not? I think I am old enough and, well,” Elijah smirked, “I’m probably not terribly wise but I’ve lived by myself before. I’m still alive – sorta – so I think I could handle it. Obviously I’m not going to stray too far. Maybe I’ll pinch the townhouse.” He glanced over at his father.

“I just...I want to do this by myself. I don’t want to belong to people. I don’t want anyone to protect me anymore. I’m not invincible. I take hits more often than not but I can pick myself up again. I just want to do this. Please. I will get some sort of education. I will take day classes at a Muggle College while Micah is teaching Fauve and Thierry if that will placate all of you. I don’t want to go to Hogwarts – I never did. I’d made up my mind when I left Durmstrang. Completing my education has never really been my intention. Micah will help me. I’ll study for my N.E.W.T’s and I will pass – probably. Don’t arrange anything with Doyle. The only thing he needs to know is that I quit. I’m done with Hogwarts. I want to do things on my own terms now. If it helps my case then I’ll make time with Micah. I’ll learn. I want to start fresh and new and I want to do this myself.”
Elijah Krum
Elijah Krum
Sixth Year Slytherin
Sixth Year Slytherin

Back to top Go down

Post by Khaat Lupin Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:19 pm

Khaat had never ever been angry at Eli before but she was now. She had, for the very first time, had enough of his attitude. In a maternal way, she was pleased he was expressing his opinion, but the way he was doing it was directed at her and had a hurtful, hostile edge to it that was hard for her to back away from altogether. She worked hard at immediately trying to reel in all her own pain and anger, to remain very logical, rather than exposing any more of her heart to the Krums. They didn't care about anything except themselves. That much was now crystal clear. He had hurt her more than she had expected to receive from him, intentionally or not, and as a self defense mechanism, she instantly shifted her demeanor and became as stone faced as she knew how to be. Somehow it seemed to hurt less if she felt more insulated behind a stone facade and it made her feel less vulnerable to him. She was going to do this as purely business now. She was a bit taken aback with herself to realize that she was capable of so much anger at someone she loved so deeply and devotedly, but in fact, it was that love and devotion that had created the anger.

Most specifically, she was angry and hurt that he wasn't able to see beyond himself anymore. He hadn't bothered with so much as the first word of contact until now. And even then, it had been VIktor's request, not his. She felt sure, now, that had it been up to Eli, he'd have never shown up on her door again, and in retaliation for something she had not done. His rebellion in his behavior and his words felt, to her, as if he had betrayed her, and she had been willing to look past all that until he had just shown he now had a side of himself that he had always promised he would not allow himself to have.

On top of that, now, as usual, it was all entirely about what Eli wanted and didn't want, what he felt entitled to or not, and exactly how he expected that the world should deliver it to him. And the fact was, outside of Krum arrogance and the input about all those endless "I want's", he didn't hold a single card in this game. And what the devil was with the posse with him anyway? He had never needed that before to talk to her. To her, it only symbolized how much he didn't trust her or want her in his life anymore. Khaat had never been a threat to Eli, so what the devil did they all need to be here for? If Eli was half the man he thought he was, then surely he didn't need Harry as a protector. Harry was just a pain the the ass, and the way he hung on Eli like a shirt on a hangar was just plain nauseating. She didn't know Irina, but she thought she seemed very likable on first appearances. Khaat truly had had a passing thought that she might actually like to go shopping with her. Irina was certainly light years better than Marina had been.

Viktor had one card--and only one--to play here on British soil, and more particularly in this room: he had the ability to know when to be polite and diplomatic and at least mature. He was being a perfectly appropriate gentleman thus far. That much appealed to Khaat quite a bit right at the moment, superficial as that was. His family's status in Bulgaria and the money, none of it meant crap to her. It never had meant anything. She utterly ignored all of that. Eli, as usual though, wanted what he wanted when he wanted it. It was a very adolescent response to a very adult situation. And in order for her to even give him the first part of what he wanted, he had, himself, as usual, made no investment in it but was letting Daddy deal with it, and further, Eli had no damned clue what it required of her. Nor did he care, quite obviously. It required her to hurt one of her "children" to please another--no matter that she loved them all equally. It required her to crush Chase just in order that Eli could feel happy. And now he appeared to have the arrogance to slap Khaat in the face because her package wasn't gift wrapped the way he liked it. She paused a long, long moment, gathering herself before she finally spoke.

"No," she replied with a quiet, iron firmness she had never used with him before, unable to entirely suppress her anger at him, despite how much she really was trying. "You can want what you want as long as you choose. It does not mean I have to give it to you. I am responsible for giving you what you need, not necessarily what you want--although I have always tried to do both for you. Let me see if I can break this down for you.

"First of all, you either weren't listening or you really still aren't well because I never ever said anywhere in this discussion that you had to return to Hogwarts full time. In fact I said quite the opposite. I said I would bend all the rules to make sure you could have pretty much whatever you bloody well wanted. Your being a dropout is not acceptable. Period. It never has been, and you know it very well. I have made that abundantly clear on numerous occasions. I agreed to home schooling because it would free up your time if it is done right, and rarely does home schooling mean any student spends their entire day studying. One of the clear advantages of home schooling is that they can do the same amount of work in a fraction of the time that they would spend in a classroom setting. For most students, even muggle ones, they can accomplish what would be six hours of traditional classroom work in an hour or two a day, and you're intelligent enough to do it in that or in less time. When you look at what the time and energy commitment really is, it is not all that significant, and we are merely looking at a period of perhaps another 9 months. Its not forever, for pity's sake. But then again, you're too good for schoolwork, aren't you? You don't go and you don't do the work anyway. I believe you just said that yourself.

"You clearly believe that you know all the wisdom you will ever need for the rest of your life and what you don't want to bother to clutter your brain with, your money will buy it. But, let me tell you something. It would benefit you to polish your skills with a wand. I have seen how very gifted your father is with his. When he was your age, he was known not only for his skills with a broom, but his skills with a wand. I advise you to try to get enough of the rudimentary skills to protect yourself. Our world is getting much darker and more dangerous very quickly. Sooner or later, you might actually have to fire that stick you carry and actually mean it if you hope to stay alive, no many how many bodyguards you can afford. What will you do if you find yourself toe to toe with one of the darkest wizards you can imagine and facing the business end of his wand? If all you can muster is turning him into a cat, you are so screwed. Why the devil do you think I want you to finish? In this dark day and age, a wizard who cannot defend himself will be killed in a fraction of a second. I would prefer that not happen to you. I would prefer you at least learn how to fight enough to protect you and your children. But since you know best, suit yourself."

This was exactly the person Eli had said he would never become--the very spitting image of his father. The sad thing was, he was being Viktor more than VIktor was being Viktor. Furthermore, the moment anyone believed they never needed to learn any more, they were exhibiting the epitome of foolishness. Furious, she turned to the only apparent reasonable Krum in the room.

"I'm sorry, Viktor," she said softly, truly regretting where she was having to go with this now. She had truly wanted to help them. "We do not have an accord. I can't do it. I am so very sorry. However, for the record, let's get our facts straight. You requested this because you were concerned Eli was unhappy. I do understand that. However, he has not apparently cared enough about Fauve and Thierry to contact me one time since Chase took them. And I would certainly think, guadianship aside, that Eli might have once thought about the direct connection he has with the Chief Warlock to even ask if there were anything I could do to help him. If they were my children, I would be moving heaven and earth to look for anything I could find to get them back. But apparently it has never entered his mind for him to check with the one person in this entire country who did indeed have the power to help him. It did, however, enter yours. Kudos to you for being a decent grandfather.

"But he also has no desire whatsoever to learn what he needs to do to keep himself or Fauve and Thierry safe with the new dangers coming in the wizarding world. That puts not only himself at risk but, if the children were there with him, it endangers them as well. That only shows me how much he is NOT ready to parent again yet. Eli has chosen to do as he wishes, but I will not put Fauve and Thierry in an environment with ignorance as a foundation. At some point, we might discuss visitation with the children, but I don't see that happening today. So far as I'm concerned, it sounds very much like this discussion is over. If you want to persuade me that you're a man, Eli, and that you are well and able to do this, then come back when you can act like it. My door is always open, and you have always known where to find me. Now if you all will excuse me, I have people to tend to that actually want the help I can give them and who are willing to do their part to help themselves. I believe you all will find the door is still in the same place that it was when you used it to come in here."

The bottom line was that the children would remain with her until some sort of an agreement was made so that she knew that Eli, Fauve and Thierry would be safe--long term. That just did not appear to be something Eli was willing to do. A muggle school would never teach him how to duel and actually not make a freaking mess out of everything he tried, or turn everything he touched into a cat. There was no point whatsoever in this continuing. She was all done talking. Eli had blown it for himself, as far as she was concerned. Anyone with that much self-centeredness was not ready to have children in his care.
Khaat Lupin
Khaat Lupin
Gryffindor Graduate
Gryffindor Graduate

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top