Ways to Make PA Better?
Welcome to Potter’s Army

Welcome to Potter's Army

We have been a Harry Potter Roleplaying site since 2007. If you're an old member we hope you come check out the discord link provided below. And if you're looking for a new roleplaying site, well, we're a little inactive. But every once and a while nostalgia sets in and a few of our alumni members will revisit the old stomping grounds and post together. Remember to stay safe out there. And please feel free to drop a line whenever!

Ways to Make PA Better? Li9olo10

What’s Happening?
Since every few months or so a few of our old members get the inspiration to revisit their old stomping grounds we have decided to keep PA open as a place to revisit old threads and start new ones devoid of any serious overarching plot or setting. Take this time to start any of those really weird threads you never got to make with old friends and make them now! Just remember to come say hello in the chatbox below or in the discord. Links have been provided in the "Comings and Goings" forum as well as the welcome widget above.

Ways to Make PA Better?

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Ways to Make PA Better? Empty Ways to Make PA Better?

Post by Khaat Lupin Sat Jan 29, 2011 6:49 pm

You know, this really should be, in my opinion, a standard, ongoing topic. Here's my thoughts. There are two basic key components that are absolulely essential for PA to be a successful site.

First--the membership. You. We need you or there isn't a PA. We need you to be online, posting, getting involved. We also need your continuing input. What works? What doesn't work? And how can we make things better for everyone? We need that continuous feedback. And, yes, we do look at every suggestion that is made, whether you actively see us post a response to it or not. We do try to respond to every idea, but sometimes we want a little time to think about your idea or to put it in an "idea file" so that we can see how it fits with ideas that others have given us.

Second--Admins. We are here to serve you. We are players ourselves and if we weren't interested we couldn't be here. I know that sometimes it becomes difficult to see what the admin thinking was behind a choice that was made. Its okay to ask. Please do. Its just nice when you ask nicely. LOL

Also, if there is something onsite you don't like, yes, we want to hear about it. But PLEASE! Don't just post a gripe. Post a suggestion for a solution too when you post your gripe. Gripes are fine when they're worded respectfully and we all need to be able to do it now and then. But when you don't post a solution, it only makes the problems bigger.

We all want PA to be a place where LOTS of players want to come. So, tell us. What are your thoughts on how we do that? Your ideas are as valid and as valuable as ours, so lets hear them on an ongoing basis!

K.

Khaat Lupin
Khaat Lupin
Gryffindor Graduate
Gryffindor Graduate

Number of posts : 22572
Special Abilities : Energy Worker, Medium, Heightened Sensitivity

Back to top Go down

Ways to Make PA Better? Empty Re: Ways to Make PA Better?

Post by John Snow Sat Feb 05, 2011 12:56 pm

So how about a settings sidebar thing at the side? I've seen some sites with them and they are very effective to avoid confusion. They show the year, date, season, weather etc.

John Snow
John Snow

Number of posts : 43

Back to top Go down

Post by Vincent Majere Wed Feb 09, 2011 3:21 pm

For a standard, ongoing topic there arent a lot of replies eh?
Vincent Majere
Vincent Majere

Number of posts : 836

Back to top Go down

Post by Jess Potter Thu Feb 10, 2011 5:40 am

That's certainly a good idea John, I'll speak to someone better with graphics about doing something like that.

And Vincent, it's because PA's already perfect : D
Jess Potter
Jess Potter
Gryffindor Graduate
Gryffindor Graduate

Number of posts : 14221
Special Abilities : Wandless Magic, Seer, Flying, Legilimens

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1356010139

Back to top Go down

Post by Damon Ambrojze Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:35 pm

We all know that quality of writing is subjective, but there are some things about writing that aren't subjective, like grammar and structure.

Could we possibly have a thread for writing hints and tips, but make it about rules of writing instead of things like how to make your post "better"?

I have a really hard time reading posts when so few people know where to break their paragraphs.
Damon Ambrojze
Damon Ambrojze

Number of posts : 122

Back to top Go down

Post by Ethan Thorn Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:37 pm

yeah people tell me to write in paragraphs but I get so friggin confused when to break it.
Ethan Thorn
Ethan Thorn

Number of posts : 72

http://theroleplayzone.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Darren Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:57 pm

Thats a good idea Selwyn. We might make a thread at educational decrees for that.

On the topic of layout changes, I'm wondering whether you guys would prefer a shorter index and more subforums, or a (very) slightly longer index and less subforums? Personally, I prefer the latter, but a few admins would disagree with me on this, what do you guys think?
Darren
Darren

Number of posts : 22273
Special Abilities : Wandless Magic, Leglimens,

Back to top Go down

Post by Ethan Thorn Sat Mar 05, 2011 12:01 am

I like how the forums are now but if I had to choose it'd be......well it depends. Wouldn't it be retarded if Hogwarts was 1 category. It'd depend on what subject, like I think Malfoy Manor should be a category and have forums in it. Then you could fit more posts in it. That's probably a bad example but you get the picture. IT DEPENDS.
Ethan Thorn
Ethan Thorn

Number of posts : 72

http://theroleplayzone.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Elizabeth Krum Sat Mar 05, 2011 12:02 am

The Timeline thread says the currant year is 2024 or is it 2022? Just to say.
Elizabeth Krum
Elizabeth Krum
Gryffindor Graduate
Gryffindor Graduate

Number of posts : 4133

http://thetwistintime.jcink.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Damon Ambrojze Sat Mar 05, 2011 12:05 am

I don't really mind about layout so long as the forums look active. I was really surprised that Damon's post was the first in the Hog's Head.

OH, I see what you mean. Yeah, I like that better.

Liz - if the ages of the canon characters are correct, it should be 2022.
Damon Ambrojze
Damon Ambrojze

Number of posts : 122

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top