HP & the Deathly Hallows part 1 (spoilers) - Page 2
Welcome to Potter’s Army

Welcome to Potter's Army

We have been a Harry Potter Roleplaying site since 2007. If you're an old member we hope you come check out the discord link provided below. And if you're looking for a new roleplaying site, well, we're a little inactive. But every once and a while nostalgia sets in and a few of our alumni members will revisit the old stomping grounds and post together. Remember to stay safe out there. And please feel free to drop a line whenever!

HP & the Deathly Hallows part 1 (spoilers) - Page 2 Li9olo10

What’s Happening?
Since every few months or so a few of our old members get the inspiration to revisit their old stomping grounds we have decided to keep PA open as a place to revisit old threads and start new ones devoid of any serious overarching plot or setting. Take this time to start any of those really weird threads you never got to make with old friends and make them now! Just remember to come say hello in the chatbox below or in the discord. Links have been provided in the "Comings and Goings" forum as well as the welcome widget above.

HP & the Deathly Hallows part 1 (spoilers)

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

HP & the Deathly Hallows part 1 (spoilers) - Page 2 Empty Re: HP & the Deathly Hallows part 1 (spoilers)

Post by Kingsley Shacklebolt Sat Nov 20, 2010 10:12 pm

I was hoping that the splitting of the movie would make the movie not seem as rushed as the previous 4 or 5, but god was I wrong. Everything was all so rushed until after the wedding. Then it was a little boring. Of course, there was bits and bobs of action every now and then but that didnt help much. The music would be more fitting to a funeral. They were at least able to create a bit of suspense with the gloomy atmosphere but then again...

The biggest problem I had was that I was struggling to keep up with what was going on. I havent read the books in more then 2 years so I had forgotten some parts of it. But people who've never read the book would have no clue about the plot. Of course, this is the same problem that the movies have been struggling with since the 4th. But I did hope they would have at least explained the plot better since they split the movie!

The best part was the animated scene of the tales of Beedle the Bard. At least I didnt have to see the horrible acting of the trio during this part. Yes, theres a huge cast of amazing actors in this film. Alan Rickman, Helena Bonham Carter etc. Yes, they get very little screen time as usual. Yes, the ending was stupid.

I didnt have high expectations of the movie, since Yates was directing it. But I thought, and was hoping, that maybe it would be better than 5 and 6. To be honest, it was better, but it still wasn't great.

Kingsley Shacklebolt

Number of posts : 1463

Back to top Go down

HP & the Deathly Hallows part 1 (spoilers) - Page 2 Empty Re: HP & the Deathly Hallows part 1 (spoilers)

Post by Caelani Bittel Mon Nov 29, 2010 12:36 am

...It's one thing to dislike people, but it's another to say they're bad actors just because you don't like them. Emma Watson, Daniel Radcliffe and Rupert Grint aren't bad actors. You just have to look at some of the scenes they had to do. Like Dan doing the scene with the polyjuice potion; he would have had to spend time with all the people who were "turning into" him and and learnt how to copy their mannerisms while they were being their character and then he would have had to shoot that scene in front of a green screen, once for every character he was being. That's not bad acting.

I think, as a film maker and writer, I'd have made it differently. I can understand why they didn't, considering how closely all the other films have mirrored the stories, but I think Deathly Hallows would have benefited from cuts to things that were happening elsewhere in the wizarding world, such as what Neville and the rest of the DA were doing at Hogwarts. It could also help cut down time when it comes to showing Snape's memories. I can imagine that being very cutty when we get to see it.

And I'd have finished it a little bit later. Judging by how much they've cut out of the film, I don't think they'll stay at Shell Cottage that long, so I don't think it would have hurt to finish it after Ollivander tells Harry that he should use Draco's wand. Even if they had to jump that conversation forward a bit.

Overall, I don't think it works as two movies. I know they're just doing that for money, but I would much prefer to have watched it as, say, a five hour film with an interval.
Caelani Bittel
Caelani Bittel
Slytherin Graduate
Slytherin Graduate

Number of posts : 469
Special Abilities : unforgivables

Back to top Go down

Post by Jaquellene Jack Dyllan Tue Jan 04, 2011 5:10 am

I agree with your point of Daniel Radcliffe's acting. He's not a bad actor, but I've gotten to the point where I'm thinking he may be a lazy actor. Harry Potter is a token character and I think he could be doing soooo much more to the character. I see depth in both Hermione and Ron's parts but I feel like Daniel rushes the depth of Harry for the fun stuff like wearing fake blood and whatnot. Also a fault on the director, he should be pushing Daniel to expand more. Then again, how could I know the whole situation, so.

Well I went probably the last day they were filming because Ive been having monetary/family problems. But I got there and I was very glad they showed things like Hermione erasing her parent's memories. I'm a bit bothered though by it, because then there was not the scene where Ron and Hermione had to convince Harry they were coming with him, with Hermione's dramatic monologue. I understand time and budget and whatnot, but I was actually pretty excited to see what the actor's did with that scene.

I was SO glad they were true to most of the Weasley twin's lines, seeing as those two are my favorite characters (I say that, of course, tentatively, since they tie with 4 our 5 other charries XD) and I was so glad that I found myself whispering the lines with them.

I was a little disappointed to not see an older Viktor Krum and a furious Ron during the wedding, but what can you do, right? And I LOVED that in the Polyjuice Potion scene they kept the "Im 'ideous" and "we're identical" lines!

The Beedle the Bard scene was amazing and very unlike anything they've done with Harry Potter, which I was glad for. I'm not sure I like the directing of the Harry Potters- a lot of them seem very dry- but I was glad to see there was a bit of a mix.

I was pretty satisfied by the Malfoys part as well- though there was not NEARLY as much Tom Felton as I would have enjoyed, but I think it set a proper tone of conflicted uncertainty about how are everything had gotten to explain some of their motives in the second part.

Now... For one of my favorite parts. After Ron had left, and Harry goes over to Hermione, takes off the Horcruz and took her hands... my friend and I were whispering saying "what the hell are you doing freak? She's Ron's, not yours, back off or I'll stun you..." We were so freaked out and we were feeling awkward (which is a hard feat for us because we serenade random strangers). And then there was the whole scene where they danced and played around. I LOVED this because until about the sixth movie, the movies failed to capture the dynamic of Harry and Hermione's friendship I think- though the fourth was not terrible at that. To often, I get the feeling that Hermione is leading the trio because Emma Watson is a strong actress, but that scene finally completed the picture that Harry was friends with Hermione and friends with Ron, because Ron and Hermione have a funny relationship that kind of wavers.

Now... I pretty much loved the Ministry of Magic scene, particularly "Oh no, my wife!" "Ron, you're not married!" I can't recall any major problems or great moments though, mostly because I really had to pee. I was crying once Dobby died, of course, because I loved Dobby... and did have to pee. I think they really did Dobby's death justice... As well as Hedwig's now that I think about it. I like the way they made her die... It was so lame and unheroic in the book. I preferred her sacrificing herself.

Yep. Overall, I loved the movie.
Jaquellene Jack Dyllan
Jaquellene Jack Dyllan
Gryffindor Graduate
Gryffindor Graduate

Number of posts : 10287
Special Abilities : Occlumency
Occupation : Unspeakable | Beater for the Falmouth Falcons | Deed-Holder of Satan's

https://jackles-feels-feelings.polyvore.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by James Wake Tue Jan 11, 2011 2:07 am

Plus, Hedwig had a great Guardians of the Ga'Hoole reference.

Come on, was I the only that noticed it? She scratched him! In the face! If Zack Snyder had snuck into post-prod and added a talon knife, then she could have taken all of them!

James Wake
James Wake

Number of posts : 1329
Special Abilities : Can understand Werewolves

Back to top Go down

Post by Jaquellene Jack Dyllan Tue Mar 06, 2012 3:26 am

Hi James.
Jaquellene Jack Dyllan
Jaquellene Jack Dyllan
Gryffindor Graduate
Gryffindor Graduate

Number of posts : 10287
Special Abilities : Occlumency
Occupation : Unspeakable | Beater for the Falmouth Falcons | Deed-Holder of Satan's

https://jackles-feels-feelings.polyvore.com/

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top