Brainstorming
Welcome to Potter’s Army

Welcome to Potter's Army

We have been a Harry Potter Roleplaying site since 2007. If you're an old member we hope you come check out the discord link provided below. And if you're looking for a new roleplaying site, well, we're a little inactive. But every once and a while nostalgia sets in and a few of our alumni members will revisit the old stomping grounds and post together. Remember to stay safe out there. And please feel free to drop a line whenever!

Brainstorming Li9olo10

What’s Happening?
Since every few months or so a few of our old members get the inspiration to revisit their old stomping grounds we have decided to keep PA open as a place to revisit old threads and start new ones devoid of any serious overarching plot or setting. Take this time to start any of those really weird threads you never got to make with old friends and make them now! Just remember to come say hello in the chatbox below or in the discord. Links have been provided in the "Comings and Goings" forum as well as the welcome widget above.

Brainstorming

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Brainstorming Empty Brainstorming

Post by Michael Tremaine Sun Oct 17, 2010 10:59 pm

Please!!! Brainstorm all your ideas for the Triwizard stuff here! Lets get a runing list.

My idea is a quest in which each champion hs to get anywhere from one to 3 pieces of a larger puzzle, which would be clues to a deductive reasoning puzzle that they would have to solve. Whoever solves the puzzle correctly FIRST becomes the champion.

That's the crux of my idea. I'd like to see them interacting w/ other players who are given tidbits of information that the players have decipher codes or maps or both to find them waiting in diverse locations in order to give them their information.

The clues could be given in the form of some sort of magical objects, maybe a magical jigsaw puzzle piece that displays only the clue it holds, or something like that. I'm not sure.

Thoughts?

Khaat.
Michael Tremaine
Michael Tremaine
Gryffindor Graduate
Gryffindor Graduate

Number of posts : 646
Special Abilities : Portkey Creation

Back to top Go down

Brainstorming Empty Re: Brainstorming

Post by Vito Dee Symons Sun Oct 17, 2010 11:12 pm

I love the idea of a magical jigsaw puzzle. Perhaps one made up of thicker, glass pieces that lock together (when put together, you know, like a normal puzzle would, only, so that it wouldn't fall apart on them). They could be given clues towards the beginning of the task, and would then be forced to use this clue to find each piece, and solve the riddle, which would work sort of like the goblet of fire did in the maze- the last thing that they had to gather in order to win.

Each location, however, would have to be different and would need to get more challenging for the champions as they went on to find the next piece. Meaning there would be as many pieces to the puzzle as there would be tasks, and that there would also need to be obstacles to prevent them from collecting said pieces- but would there be three pieces for each task, for each champion, so that everyone had the chance to collect all of the pieces? Or would there only be one per task, so that only one could win- this would make things more difficult for us, meaning that we could have to provide more tasks if one of the champions did not hold their position in the lead, and ended up screwing it up by losing a piece to another champion.

I'm just shooting ideas your way, Khaat. Feel free to absorb and/or ignore whatever information you please.
Vito Dee Symons
Vito Dee Symons

Number of posts : 797

Back to top Go down

Post by Michael Tremaine Sun Oct 17, 2010 11:21 pm

I love you, Red. lol. jk.

I was, thinking of 3 pieces apiece, giving us 9 clues total. I was hoping we could use them to force them to construct a logic puzzle. I don't know if either of you have done one, but i buy them in a magazine at a newstand, and they are constructed on grids, like checkmarks and such, using deductive reasoning. Anybody but me ever do these things? Wilson? You seem like you might have done these sorts of things before.

I love the glass pieces ideas. ANd i want to get grads and undergrads working together more.
Michael Tremaine
Michael Tremaine
Gryffindor Graduate
Gryffindor Graduate

Number of posts : 646
Special Abilities : Portkey Creation

Back to top Go down

Post by Khaat Lupin Mon Oct 25, 2010 12:33 pm

HEY!! Weighing of the Wands? Are we doing this?? The members seem to think we are.

And what sort of an award are we going to give? I know the canon did the Goblet of Fire, but I don't remember whether that was the traditional award or whether Voldemort just arranged that as a portkey. Can you refresh my memory a bit? It's been awhile since I read those finer details.
Khaat Lupin
Khaat Lupin
Gryffindor Graduate
Gryffindor Graduate

Number of posts : 22582
Special Abilities : Energy Worker, Medium, Heightened Sensitivity

Back to top Go down

Post by Vito Dee Symons Mon Oct 25, 2010 2:00 pm

Well, we have the words of Dumbledore, "Eternal glory! That's what awaits the student who wins The Triwizard Tournament, but to do this, that student must survive three tasks. Three extremely dangerous tasks." However, as for the actual prize, I believe that you will find this to be quite useful.

Weighing of the Wands... yes, I think we should. The more threads we can busy them with the better; they enjoy all the extra stuff that we throw at them, and it will hold them until we have the first task up and ready.
Vito Dee Symons
Vito Dee Symons

Back to top Go down

Post by Khaat Lupin Mon Oct 25, 2010 3:24 pm

thanks, red. btw, eli has been added to this workroom. she and i have fleshed out the tasks more. the first task is a LOT more ready. YAY!!!

I have asked her to write it up.

k.
Khaat Lupin
Khaat Lupin
Gryffindor Graduate
Gryffindor Graduate

Back to top Go down

Post by Vito Dee Symons Mon Oct 25, 2010 3:52 pm

Shall I post a thread in the Great Hall for the Champions to be announced? This would give the three of them a bit of an opportunity to interact- besides; they all seem to be in favor of the idea.
Vito Dee Symons
Vito Dee Symons

Back to top Go down

Post by Khaat Lupin Mon Oct 25, 2010 3:56 pm

darren asked me to pm wilson to do that a couple days ago. i'm just waiting on wilson to see the pm and respond. as headmaster, he should really do that.

we are a bit behind on the announcing of champions, but we'll be back on track on the timeline for the first task.

oh, and we'll try to get the first task written up asap.

Here's how it will go now.

The ministry will be the first location.

The train platform will be the start of the second

Hogwarts will be the third and final location.

Its a bit reversed, but we have it in a better order now. I'f I have time at work today, I'll do some sketching out of some things, if Eli doesn't get to it first. If not, I'll do it tonight when i get home.

k.

Last edited by Khaat Lupin on Mon Oct 25, 2010 3:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
Khaat Lupin
Khaat Lupin
Gryffindor Graduate
Gryffindor Graduate

Back to top Go down

Post by Vito Dee Symons Mon Oct 25, 2010 3:58 pm

mmmmk.
Vito Dee Symons
Vito Dee Symons

Back to top Go down

Post by Khaat Lupin Wed Oct 27, 2010 11:52 pm

Ok, so here's where I guess I start by mapping out my vision for this. I have to admit, though, this whole Triwizard bit is getting really frustrating for me.

Anyway, if I were to draw out what I think a diagram for my ideas look like, it would be sort of spiderwebby b/c of how all the ideas springboard off each other and entertwine, but thats sort of how it has developed.

As I stated earlier, part of what I want is to break away from the typical Rowlings sort of writings and ideas. My thought is that I want the Triwizard to be more than a sort of a wizarding track meet. I'd like it to teach a lesson or make the champions explore themselves in a self growth sort of way.

The question I am suggesting we ask is: What does it take to be a champion at life itself? Is it a sum of your strengths, a sum of your weaknesses? I am suggesting that the correct answer is it is both the sum of your strengths and the sum of your weaknesses, along with how you use those things in the world.

I wanted the first task to symbolize, or pose the question, what is the sum of your strengths?

The second task to symbolize what is the source of your weaknesses?

The third task would be to learn that as a winner in life you are both the sum of your strengths and weaknesses.

The summation, or assembling of the puzzle, the working together of the champions is that "how you use those things in the world" part, ie, being with others and being a contributing part of it.

Ok. Feel free to shred away.
Khaat Lupin
Khaat Lupin
Gryffindor Graduate
Gryffindor Graduate

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top