Of Dogs and New Beginnings
Welcome to Potter’s Army

Welcome to Potter's Army

We have been a Harry Potter Roleplaying site since 2007. If you're an old member we hope you come check out the discord link provided below. And if you're looking for a new roleplaying site, well, we're a little inactive. But every once and a while nostalgia sets in and a few of our alumni members will revisit the old stomping grounds and post together. Remember to stay safe out there. And please feel free to drop a line whenever!

Of Dogs and New Beginnings Li9olo10

What’s Happening?
Since every few months or so a few of our old members get the inspiration to revisit their old stomping grounds we have decided to keep PA open as a place to revisit old threads and start new ones devoid of any serious overarching plot or setting. Take this time to start any of those really weird threads you never got to make with old friends and make them now! Just remember to come say hello in the chatbox below or in the discord. Links have been provided in the "Comings and Goings" forum as well as the welcome widget above.

Of Dogs and New Beginnings

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Of Dogs and New Beginnings Empty Of Dogs and New Beginnings

Post by James S Potter Wed Apr 20, 2016 11:12 pm

I’ll pick you up at seven, yeah? J.

It had been an unbelievable longshot that his owl would even find Lyle. Lyle. That was his name. Giddy after receiving his reply, James had stood in his bathroom, toothbrush in his frothy mouth, trying the man’s name out on his tongue. He looked a picture, in his Snitch boxers with mussed hair. His pale skin shone under the luminosity of the bathroom light, making the dragon that had coiled around his bicep blink unhappily. Seeing its dismay, James allowed himself the pleasure of letting the man’s name roll semi-awkwardly – by the virtue of having a toothbrush lodged in his gob – off of his tongue just one last time before finishing up getting ready for bed.

As he strode through the living area having exited the bathroom, James pulled a plain white t-shirt off of the back of his desk chair and shrugged into it as he retraced his steps back towards his bedroom. He smiled as the smell of his grandmother’s washing powder puffed about him from the material. Going home to the Burrow had been a pleasure and a half. He couldn’t quite resist burdening Molly with some of his washing, either. Between doting on him and Archie – who was already in doggy dream land by the time James got into his side of the bed – she also made his clothes smell like he always remembered them smelling when he was little. It reminded him of happier times. It reminded him, too, of what he could remember his dad smelling like. Home, almost.

Sighing contentedly as he let his body sag against the pillows, James pulled the covers up around him. Archie rolled over onto his back, legs splayed in the air, whining softly about whatever cat he was dreaming about chasing. Chuckling, James pulled his glasses off and tossed them onto the nightstand before lifting a hand to his face. He rubbed his fingers across the space between his brows and found himself yawning not a moment later. Reaching back over to the nightstand, James pulled up the letters, now a fair wodge, that he had gotten back from Lyle. That the other man had replied had been mad, the fact that he’d done so multiple times was mind-boggling. A soppy grin fell over his features as he flicked through them, committing the simple, gentle press of his lettering into the paper to mind. He wanted to stay awake and read and re-read but that was how he fell asleep, letters surrounding him, in the half-light of the room.

And the smile? That didn’t fall from his mouth, not even for a second.

“Archie, baby, c’mon…”

Not for the first time, nor for the last, James was on his hands and knees, his head under his bed, looking for his dog. The first walk of the day was something the puppy was terrible for when James had the day off. Sensing the relaxation in his master, Archie put a lot of effort to wake him up – which included biting off his sock, something which James would never understand – before disappearing off around the flat to hide.

On these sorts of days, James bitterly regretted buying a dog that was suspiciously magical enough to remain puppy-sized forever. Last week, he’d found Archie in the washing basket. He’d only managed to track him down because the damn thing had been snoring. This week, though, he was sure that his golden boy was under the bed, hiding amongst storage boxes and a pair of boots that James had written off months ago and bought a new pair. Finding them was the only plus of the dog going missing.

“Okay, suit yourself!” He declared, pushing himself up to his feet.

James shook his head and trudged out into the living room. He hooked up the scarlet lead that matched Archie’s collar next to his coat. Shucking his feet of their shoes, James popped them back in the box and resigned himself to the fact that as soon as he flicked the kettle on, the dog would make a reappearance. He might get it to brew before Archie bounced out, demanding his walk with a yip and a grin.

He could definitely at least get a biscuit.

Two bites into a digestive, James was just about to put water over the teabag when Archie appeared. He strayed immediately over to his water bowl and James shook his head, setting the kettle back on the hook. James finished off his digestive and went for another one as he got out a spoon, hoping that he could grab a drink too. He opened the fridge door after hooking out the teabag and putting it into the dish he had bought especially for teabags and felt his heart sink into his chest. Even the chocolate couldn’t improve his mood. No milk. It was a travesty.

“Right hound,” James popped the biscuit into his mouth. “C’mon,” he waved his hand over the mug, leaving behind a warming charm, and walked over to where Archie was sat. “We’re going to the shops.”

He picked the dog up before a word could be gotten in edgeways. Coats were put on – oddly with matching tartan – and James shoved his feet back into his shoes. After hooking Archie’s lead to his collar, James grabbed his keys and his phone and hurried out of the flat. He bid the little old lady next door, who had come out to get her paper, good morning and asked if she wanted anything from the shops. She hesitated but his coaxing smile led her to ask for some milk herself – and “some custard creams if they have them.”

So, off the pair went. For his trouble, James got a cup of tea and a kiss and Archie got a dog biscuit and a cuddle for being so helpful.

It was a good day, one that was shaping up to be an even better evening.

To his credit, James waited until four o’clock to start panicking about what to wear. Victoire, however, wasn’t about to work it out for him. He started with the basics. He dug out some matching socks he was sure that his grandmother had made for him and found a fresh pair of plain boxers – deciding to forego the snitches until they were better acquainted. The thought brought a smile to his face.

He spent a long while pouting in the mirror, trying to tame his hair. It was never going to work, he knew. He had inherited his father and grandfather’s hair. It meant that it was going to be an impossible task to look semi-presentable. He’d just have to go with the clothes. The hair was a damn lost cause. Damn you, Harry, he thought affectionately, reaching for a white button-down shirt.

Simple and classic – that was what he ultimately went for. He even shined his shoes before donning his coat.

“How do I look?” He asked the dog, opening out his arms questioningly. Archie tipped his head to the side curiously. “Is that a good head tip or a bad one?” James asked, glancing down at himself. "I don't know ... is the navy jumper too much?"

Silence.

“You really are no help, mate,” he chuckled, reaching to fix his watch on his wrist.

James turned on his heel and picked up the little gift he had picked up for Lyle. He popped it into the bag he had also found – it had turned into quite the adventure to the shops – and took a breath, hoping desperately that he’d like it.

“Okay little man,” James crossed the room and crouched down in front of Archie, offering him his hand. The dog lifted his paw into James’ palm. “You know how the floo works. If you need Vic, go on through. I put food and water down. I’ll only be a few hours, I promise. You’ll be alright, right?”

Archie gave him an odd look – more due to the fact that he’d used right twice than because he was asking him if he’d be okay. Though, that too. The dog had done plenty of evenings on his own. He usually sat down to watch some telly – not that James knew that Archie had worked out how to use that. He especially liked the adverts.

“Right, okay. I’m going.”

The dog rolled his eyes – as much as a dog can, mind you.

James apparated out of the living room and landed on the doorstep of – what he hoped – was Lyle’s place. He swung the bag a little and bit the inside of his cheek. He could only hope that this wasn’t going to be a big mistake.

He knocked before he had a chance to back out. And waited. And waited. And … okay, it wasn’t that long but to the impatient Potter it felt like a lifetime. When the door opened, a megawatt grin brightened James’ face and he wasn’t sure what to hold out first – the bag or his other hand to shake. He did muck it up, in that order too, before holding out the bag again and then shaking his head, going with his hand.

“Hi,” he enthused, going a bit red for his troubles. “I, err, I got you this,” he held out the bag again, this time for real. “I didn’t know if you drank or … what you liked really but I thought… well, I thought it was funny and they’re really easy to look after so if you weren’t a plant person it was fool proof  --- err, not that you’re a fool! At all. No! I… You’re … you’re a very eloquent person. Um. As far as your letters imply. Unlike me at this moment in time. I … sorry. Err… I’m Jamie. I am not normally this uncontrollably verbose. I guess I'm nervous.”

Game over, idiot, he thought to himself. He's going to think you're a right knobhead.
James S Potter
James S Potter
Gryffindor Graduate
Gryffindor Graduate

Number of posts : 109
Special Abilities : Animagus, Parselmouth

Back to top Go down

Of Dogs and New Beginnings Empty Re: Of Dogs and New Beginnings

Post by Frank Longbottom Thu Apr 21, 2016 8:00 pm

As far as panicking goes, Lyle wasn't really ever the type. His sister Jane, however, was thrilled and bouncing on his bed, and would not stop talking. Not that he minded when someone else did the talking. He wasn't the best ever at explaining exactly how he felt, but Jane would not let it go, despite his best attempts. She had come by his house in Leavesden, joining Kasey and the kids. So his entire network, outside of Bea and their parents, was now settled somewhere in his little home. Jane on his bed, the boys downstairs, and Kasey digging through his closet.

"I do not understand," Kasey was saying, "why you aren't more concerned. This is so important and you're just standing there like everything is right with the world."

"Maybe that's because things are right," Lyle argued, sitting on the end of the bed in front of Jane. His sister leaned forward, her hair draping over his shoulder and she smirked at him. "I just don't get why you two are making this out to be some catastrophe. An attractive guy chatted me up - via owl, no less! This is pretty good, isn't it?"

"Yes," Jane agreed. "It is. But he will not be impressed if he went to the effort of getting in touch with you and you look all casual and like you don't care."

Lyle had to concede that she had a point. Turning his chin and lifting it so he could look down his nose at Jane, he thinned his lips into a slight frown.

"What's his name, Ly?" She asked, grinning at him a little dreamily.

"Jamie," he replied, easily covering the smile in his voice by lifting his shoulder to shake her off. "I think you need to find yourself someone dreamy so you can leave me and mine alone."

"Yours?" Kasey asked cheekily, leaning out from around the door and lifting her eyebrows at him.

Lyle groaned, flopping backwards onto the bed next to Jane's legs. "Hopefully," he muttered, sending the women into bursts of giggles. "Can't you lot just leave me alone?" He complained, crossing his arms over his chest. "I need to get ready."

"That's what I've been saying!" Kasey declared, coming back into the main bedroom area and laying a shirt down over Lyle's face. "Wear this one. Black pants."

"And for the love of Merlin, wear nice shoes, Ly," Jane added, hopping off the bed to join Kasey.

"Out. I have a date."

They laughed again, but did as he bid, and he could hear Kasey's two boys shut off the screens downstairs as they left, leaving him a little under an hour to get ready before Jamie arrived. Crap.

That did light a bit of a fire under his bum, and Lyle was ready with a few minutes to spare. In that time, he fussed over his hair far too much for a man his age. Lord, how old was Jamie? Would it matter? He deflated just in time to hear the knock at the door, sending his eyelids blinking as he straightened up. Maybe it wouldn't matter. Merlin, please don't let it matter.

Heading down, he made his way to the door and opened it, finding himself literally just staring at Jamie as he flummoxed. Lyle looked down at the hands that short forward and back, a bemused smile pulling at his cheeks before he extended his hand and did his best to offer a firm shake. He was a bit embarrassed that he hadn't thought to get Jamie anything. Not that he could get a word in to explain or apologize at first.

Easy to look after? What did that-? Lyle looked down into the bag and his eyebrows lifted. Curious. It was certainly interesting. Even though he was quite surprised. But it was incredibly endearing, wasn't it? Gosh, he felt bad for not thinking ahead.

"Right," he began, nodding and looking up at Jamie with a wide smile that dimpled his cheeks. "Um, I should have thought. I didn't get you anything. I'll be more prepared next time," he promised, pausing and frowning a bit when he realized the assumption he had made. Deciding not to comment on his slip, Lyle set the bag down next to the door after lifting the little cactus out and setting it on his front windowsill. He would've put it by his sink in the kitchen, if only to encourage him to do dishes in a more timely manner, but that would have meant inviting Jamie in, and Lyle wasn't sure what would come of that. So, for now, this was safer.

"Thank you," he added belatedly, throwing the words out when he realized he hadn't said them yet. His eyes widened slightly with the embarrassment but he could tell that both of them were in that strange nervous stage so it was actually probably just fine. Once he had more or less recovered his faculties, Lyle allowed himself to glance down and back up, taking in his date properly.

"You look nice," he declared brightly, stepping forward and closing the door behind him so he could lock it. "Where are we headed?
Frank Longbottom
Frank Longbottom
Seventh Year Gryffindor
Seventh Year Gryffindor

Number of posts : 184

Back to top Go down

Post by James S Potter Thu Apr 21, 2016 10:44 pm

“No, I—” James looked down at his shoes, wondering if the porch would swallow him whole if he asked nicely. “You don’t have to get me anything,” he mumbled, trying desperately to stay casual. “I …”

James’ head shot up as he registered the exact words Lyle had used. He attempted to keep the soppy grin off of his face. Not very hard, mind you, but he did give it a concerted attempt. Before he could really stop himself, though, his lips pulled up and his face shone with bright happiness. He had a chance!

“I’ll hold you to that,” he clawed back some of his charm with a wink in Lyle’s direction.

James ducked his head again and reached up to rub behind his ear, feeling the tops warm a little with a slight twinge of embarrassment.

“You’re welcome,” he murmured.

Forgetting the feelings twisting inside himself, James focused on the dinner ahead of them. Cactus aside, he desperately hoped that he had made a decent account of himself. Well, Lyle liked what he looked like, at least.

“It’s lame, but I hope you like it,” he chuckled, holding out his hand. “Trust me?” He wiggled his brows, the grin returning in full force.

Once Lyle took his hand, James didn’t let the man have time to second guess. With a crack, James apparated the pair of them out and they landed in an alleyway in London. James squeezed Lyle’s hand reassuringly before releasing it. He looked down and dusted himself off.

“C’mon,” he nigh bounced out of the alleyway after falling into step with the man.

The building that they were heading to had the subject of their date written on the side. Bowling. Yes, James Potter was taking a bloke he really actually quite liked bowling. It was nothing short of romantic. Sort of. He did have dinner planned for after, if Lyle still fancied him after that, that is. But, it was a decent start.

“I reckon we’ll be alright, flat shoes and all.”

So, in they went. It was all bright lights, slightly sticky carpet and all of the other delightfully cringe worthy things it had going for it. But it was simple, it was clichéd, and James loved it a bit.

After paying for the games, they moved over to their lane and James fiddled with the screen.

“What do you want your name to be on here?” He laughed, adding, “and would you like to go first?”
James S Potter
James S Potter
Gryffindor Graduate
Gryffindor Graduate

Back to top Go down

Post by Frank Longbottom Sun Apr 24, 2016 3:20 pm

Lyle looked up in time to catch Jamie's wink and it brought a flickering smile to the surface. The smile solidified and stayed put at the other man's embarrassment. A sense of comfort came from knowing they were both in the same boat, and when a hand was extended towards him, Lyle let out an amused chuckle.

"For now," he replied, inclining his head towards Jamie and lifting his hand to let him lead the way.

Jamie wasted no time, and Lyle only had time to blink before they landed, and then they were in a particularly curious alleyway. Lyle's eyebrows lifted slowly, pulling together as concern filtered in. Jamie looked thrilled, though, so Lyle determined that he would give it a shot. After all, they could have ended up in a Muggle neighborhood, and it would be nothing out of the ordinary for their lot.

Following Jamie’s lead, he strode out and found himself looking up at a sign that announced their plans for the evening. Now, bowling wasn’t something that was necessarily out of the ordinary for some, either. But it was for Lyle, because although he would never claim the game was boring, it had been a very long time. And he was definitely too old to get away with using those bumper things, wasn’t he? Rubbish.

Jamie’s comment drew him from his thoughts and he had to chuckle as he followed his date – hah. That was still fun to say – into the building. If this was Jamie’s idea of a brilliant first date, Lyle knew he would have to step up his game a bit. Dinners in had become his go-to, and perhaps that wasn’t good enough anymore. At least the other man was keeping him on his toes, already.

As they walked in, a bit of nostalgia hit him, and Lyle grinned. He was terrible at bowling. And this was going to be undoubtedly hilarious. As one who actually didn’t always mind making a bit of a fool of himself, Lyle was actually quite pumped about the whole thing now that they were there and he had not just been taken to a questionably shady alley. This was much better, indeed.

When asked about his screen name of sorts, Lyle rolled his lips together and let his face take on a contemplative expression. It didn’t last, though, because he just shrugged and said, “You pick. I did say that I trusted you, so may as well.”

As he answered the second question, Lyle walked over to the racks and picked up one with a weight he felt probably would not cause too much complaint from his arm and wrist in the morning. “I don’t mind. If I do, you’ll get the luxury of watching me sink a really impressive gutter ball first thing, though.”
Frank Longbottom
Frank Longbottom
Seventh Year Gryffindor
Seventh Year Gryffindor

Number of posts : 184

Back to top Go down

Post by James S Potter Tue May 24, 2016 11:05 pm

Countless hours spent playing video games with Victoire made two characters an inevitable choice. He blamed the reboot entirely. Victoire had dusted off her old PlayStation and James had been round most of the week, mashing buttons and blowing up big green blobs. Ratchet and Clank. Those were their game names he chose for them. He made himself Clank, feeling that, of the two of them, he was more likely to be the flying, piggy-backing sort of sidekick. He didn’t really have the voice for it, mind you, but he wouldn’t have minded being a robot. That little robot was pretty cool, after all.

Smiling shyly, James stepped back from the terminal and lifted his gaze to the screen, watching as the game loaded up. He flicked his eyes back down and observed the pins as they were lowered down into place and felt a more carefree smile lift his lips. This was just a game, after all. And only the first date. No pressure. Right? James drew his fingers thought the front of his hair, trying to convince himself that there was, indeed, no pressure. But he so badly wanted it to go well.

“After you,” James chuckled, leaning down to pick up his own ball, a bright purple affair. “I want to see this gutter-ball.”

James hugged the ball to his chest and watched as Lyle threw his down the lane. Peeking over his shoulder, James smiled. Once Lyle had taken his second go, James moved up to stand beside him.

“Not as bad as you made out,” he teased, canting his hip against Lyle’s. “Okay, let’s see how we go.”

Five pins went down for James all-told. Not a bad start, either, he didn’t think. Although, mind you, he wasn’t a particularly good bowler. Still, he couldn’t help but smile as the balls rumbled back onto the stand and as he inhaled the smell of stale cola in the carpet and the odd sweetness of popcorn that did much to turn his stomach. It was part of the experience, though.

“So this is the part where I guess I’m meant to ask what you do and vice-versa, right? And, like, about schooling and stuff? What we like … what we don’t like. I guess… there’s lots to learn about a person, eh?”
James S Potter
James S Potter
Gryffindor Graduate
Gryffindor Graduate

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top