Practice makes perfect - Page 4
Welcome to Potter’s Army

Welcome to Potter's Army

We have been a Harry Potter Roleplaying site since 2007. If you're an old member we hope you come check out the discord link provided below. And if you're looking for a new roleplaying site, well, we're a little inactive. But every once and a while nostalgia sets in and a few of our alumni members will revisit the old stomping grounds and post together. Remember to stay safe out there. And please feel free to drop a line whenever!

Practice makes perfect - Page 4 Li9olo10

What’s Happening?
Since every few months or so a few of our old members get the inspiration to revisit their old stomping grounds we have decided to keep PA open as a place to revisit old threads and start new ones devoid of any serious overarching plot or setting. Take this time to start any of those really weird threads you never got to make with old friends and make them now! Just remember to come say hello in the chatbox below or in the discord. Links have been provided in the "Comings and Goings" forum as well as the welcome widget above.

Practice makes perfect

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Practice makes perfect - Page 4 Empty Re: Practice makes perfect

Post by Andrei Dolohov Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:07 pm

After hearing what she had to say, Andrei had to shake his head at her. She was such a classical example of a Hufflepuff that it pained him to even think about it. That was the house Andrei thought the least of, as unlike it, the rest had some useful qualities about them. Hufflepuffs however were a mystery. He couldn't grasp the fact that these people have still not learned that politeness is a trait that will get you no where. For him this was clear as day, and so it should be to other rational people. Yet for some reason, Hufflepuffs tended to cling to their kindness, as if trying to prove the world wrong. As far as he knows, this hasn't exactly worked.

When she started to talk about her duel however, he heard a completely different side of her. For the first time, she was angry and actually ready to defend herself. She sounded like a Gryffindor now, much more than a Hufflepuff. Even though Gryffindor wasn't his favorite house of all, it was a side of her that he could work with. "Rules are to be bended and changed. They are supposed to adapt to one's situation. Otherwise they're not really good rules. And even breaking one wouldn't be the end of the world. You did the right thing, so act like it", he said nodding his head, trying to encourage her. This girl seems to have plenty of determination when she wants to. "People who think the world is black and white are ignorant. It's much more a wide range of shades of grey. There are no good or evil. There are simply things that work for you and things that don't. No one can know or tell you what you should do. You have to figure that out by yourself. If you see the world as black and white, that make things that much more difficult. Give everything a chance once at least".
Andrei Dolohov
Andrei Dolohov
Sixth Year Gryffindor
Sixth Year Gryffindor

Number of posts : 271

Back to top Go down

Post by Alice Longbottom Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:41 pm

Alice wasn't sure that any violence, even in a situation like hers, could even be right. She much more preferred the peaceful way out of a troubling situation. Sometimes, as she had learned, violence was the only option. She had used in a way to defend herself rather than in a completely destructive manner. But even so, the whole idea of it disturbed Alice to the point that she truly doubted she could ever call it right or justified. Even when it came to herself. "I did what I had to do. Maybe it wasn't right or proper. But I don't see any different way that situation could end" she said shrugging her shoulders. Trying to explain the reason of her actions was difficult, mostly because she didn't understand them herself.

"I'm not very good at giving new things a chance, but I am at giving people a chance. Unlike all things, people deserve at least one. That's what I think anyway." she admitted. She was too much of a coward to try out new things that appealed to her. But with people, it was a different thing. She hated labeling people and putting them into stereotypical boxes. She avoided doing it for the same reason she wouldn't want anyone else to do that with her. People are unique, and everyone should get a chance to show who their really are. Being as shy as she was, she could understand why opening up would be difficult for many. "But what do you mean give everything a chance? Like something you're not comfortable with or that you find strange?" she asked curiously.
Alice Longbottom
Alice Longbottom
Fourth Year Gryffindor
Fourth Year Gryffindor

Number of posts : 355

Back to top Go down

Post by Andrei Dolohov Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:43 pm

Andrei chuckled at how naïve she sounded, although he was sure she didn't even realize it. Trusting everyone just felt natural to her, unlike to Andrei who had trouble trusting even his closest. The two of them were as different as can be. Although he didn't really praise her naïve nature, it was a trait that certainly will help him get what he wants in the end. So that was something he wasn't going to try and change in her.

"I mean exactly that. Trying out things you thought you could never do or things you are afraid of. Things that look too dark or too difficult, they all deserve a chance. Because if you don't try them, how will you ever know if they fit you. You might just be surprised. Like dueling for example. I assume it's not exactly well your things. But it could be if you gave it a chance. You could be pretty good at it actually. Now how could you have known that if you didn't try it out", he said trying to make a point. "And all things are worth trying once. Even if they lead to nothing but trouble. People however - that is a different thing. Not all people deserve a chance Alice. You should know that"
Andrei Dolohov
Andrei Dolohov
Sixth Year Gryffindor
Sixth Year Gryffindor

Back to top Go down

Post by Alice Longbottom Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:24 pm

Alice couldn't help but chuckle at his suggestion that she could be good at dueling. Maybe she could acquire some skills that made her less useless at defending herself. But good? No she could never be good. She could only be less clumsy. And even that was a very difficult thing for her to achieve, especially if she's in the process of fighting with someone.

"After seeing me fall down many times, hurt my leg and almost kill myself just by practicing a few spells with you, you still think I could be good at duels? Wow.... You must certainly have a lot of faith in progress. That or you're just saying that to be nice?" she asked with a chuckle. Alice was pretty much a lost case when it came to confronting others. But that didn't mean she couldn't get a bit better at it at least. He was right though, she needed to try if nothing else.

She wasn't surprised that he was suspicious about trusting people, most people were. But that stemmed from some bad experience they had. Alice didn't really have such an experienced before, so her views on trust were quite pure and uncorrupted. "People deserve a chance as well. You should try that out yourself. Start small she suggested.
Alice Longbottom
Alice Longbottom
Fourth Year Gryffindor
Fourth Year Gryffindor

Back to top Go down

Post by Andrei Dolohov Fri Nov 30, 2012 3:22 pm

"You have a point there", he said laughing out loud at her comment. If he though about it, Alice was probably one of the most clumsiest people he had ever met. But the difference was, she was only a forth year. And aren't all fourth year girls as clumsy and silly as she is? That was what he thought at least. There was still plenty of time for her to actually grow up. And he had faith that with his proper guidance, she would grow up to be something more than just a clumsy Longbottom.

"Give yourself a break, you have plenty of time to get there if you want. And I say that because I meant it. People aren't born as superior witches and wizards. Well some certainly are, but it's the time and effort you put into your skills that truly matter. And do you really think I would just say that to be nice? Some people think I don't have the ability to be nice at all", he said with a chuckle.

"I do give people a chance. I gave you a chance with dueling", he pointed out. Although she was right, he didn't trust people. But it was for a reason and any other view was just foolish to him. "I found that even one chance might be too many for some people. They take advantage of that in all of the wrong ways. Even your family can do the same. People just don't see it because they are either blind to it or they are in denial. Either way, that is what happens all the time"
Andrei Dolohov
Andrei Dolohov
Sixth Year Gryffindor
Sixth Year Gryffindor

Back to top Go down

Post by Alice Longbottom Sun Dec 02, 2012 6:16 pm

She laughed when he said people's opinion about his politeness skills. She wasn't surprised at that statement at all, since that was her first impression as well. It was not because he was a Slytherin as Alice tried very hard not to be judgmental about them, but it was rather because of a certain air her carried himself with. That would probably come from his family and upbringing she thought. Being raised by a wealthy pureblood family, he was probably raised to think of himself as superior to others. If someone is a snob they have usually earned that attribute from their parents, so Alice couldn't really judge him on that. "I wonder why. I cannot decide if it's more your house or your last name that causes people to think so. Either way, you shouldn't pay much attention to what people think" she said shrugging her shoulders.

"I give people a chance and nothing bad has happened to me" said Alice making her point valid. Why was he so suspicious of people? Sure Alice knew that they were a lot of bad things and bad people on this world but that doesn't mean that everyone is like that. Spending her whole life thinking like that, she could only imagine how lonely it would feel. Not even being able to trust your own family. Suddenly she felt sorry for this guy. There must be a reason he is like this though, something that has scarred him has turned him very cynical. But even then, he can still try, he can still give someone a chance. "I thought people like you weren't afraid of anything. Especially of silly little things like emotion" she said teasing him.
Alice Longbottom
Alice Longbottom
Fourth Year Gryffindor
Fourth Year Gryffindor

Back to top Go down

Post by Andrei Dolohov Wed Dec 05, 2012 4:20 am

Andrei laughed at loud at her comment. It was true though, his last name combined with his house made many people quite uneasy around him. At first he found it quite strange, but after a while he learned how to use it to his advantage and even enjoy it. Fear was a very useful thing, even surprisingly so. "Who said that was a bad thing?", he asked with a grin. But he was sure she wouldn't understand something like that. "If you see it as a good thing, then you learn it comes quite handy"

"I think you are mixing afraid and not very found of", he said with a chuckle. It wasn't that Andrei didn't let himself experience any feelings at all. He just didn't allow himself to judge and make decisions based on feelings alone. Because that would not only be stupid, but extremely reckless as well. "When people get caught up in strong emotions is usually when they make the biggest mistakes of their lives. Trust me on this. I might be just a few years older but I have a lot more experience", said Andrei and he knew it was true. It was obvious Alice's parents had shield her from the world while his family never did such a thing, quite the opposite actually.

"Now it's not exactly like you can walk back to your room. I would carry you, but I know you wouldn't agree to that. So I found the perfect option. You can sleep in here and I'll come check up on you in the morning to wake you up. But that time, the pain should be completely gone", said Andrei and within a few moments a large bed appeared in the corner of the room.
Andrei Dolohov
Andrei Dolohov
Sixth Year Gryffindor
Sixth Year Gryffindor

Back to top Go down

Post by Alice Longbottom Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:42 pm

"At least one of us thinks that our last name comes to our benefit" she said with a sigh. No matter how much she pretended and tried, her family name did come with it's set of expectations and responsibilities. And while Andrei had learned to use his to his advantage, Alice still had not.

"I don't doubt that" she said nodding her head. Sure, Alice didn't agree to everything he said but she did believe he was telling the truth. Somehow he made it feel as if he truly did have a lot of experience and that he knew what he was talking about. Alice on the other hand was just shaving her beliefs according to what she thought the world would be or what other people told her it was. She never really experienced things, without the protection and shield of her family or someone else.

She laughed at his idea as it seemed ridiculous. "Well you're right about that, I wouldn't let you do that. And since I can't walk back to my room, sleeping here sounds just fine. Thank you" she said as she looked at the bed. It seemed comfy enough and besides it was her only option.
Alice Longbottom
Alice Longbottom
Fourth Year Gryffindor
Fourth Year Gryffindor

Back to top Go down

Post by Andrei Dolohov Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:54 pm

"Come then, it's late and I'm not taking the blame if you miss your classes tomorrow because you're too tired. Another detention on your list isn't exactly the best thing for you now. And I know your dad would hunt me down and cut my dead off if he thought I was responsible", he said with a laugh. The bed was far away and because of his impatient nature, waiting for her to slowly crawl towards it wasn't an option. He leaned in and wrapped his hands around her waist to lift her up. "Sorry if I scared you, this is just the easiest option", he said as he walked towards the bed.

He softly placed her on it and covered her with the sheets. "Here is another potion for pain when you wake up in the morning and this is for any swelling in your leg. Although it should be a lot better tomorrow. I'm giving you these things just in case. Don't forget to use them", said Andrei as he put the two little potions bottles in her hand. "Good night then", he said standing up and ready to say his goodbyes to Alice. It was a long day for him as well and he couldn't wait to jump into his bed and sleep in the next day. He had no morning classes so everything was perfect.
Andrei Dolohov
Andrei Dolohov
Sixth Year Gryffindor
Sixth Year Gryffindor

Back to top Go down

Post by Alice Longbottom Tue Dec 11, 2012 2:10 am

Alice laughed at his comment but she knew Andrei was right. Detention was inevitable if she was late for her classes tomorrow and that would look really badly on her record. Maybe even make them send her dad yet another owl about her rebellious behavior. Oh Merlin she could already imagine the lecturing and the shouting. No she could definitely not handle another day of that. So she just decided to take his advice. She screeched out loud when he lifted her up suddenly and placed her on the bed. "You know I could have walked to the bed myself" complained Alice. She felt very strange being carried and would often panic if she was going to be dropped or not.

"Thank you" she said taking those potions and putting them on the nightstand where she was sure she wouldn't forget them. "You don't have to do that you know, take care of me. I'll be just fine" said Alice with a smile. She didn't really understand why was he being so nice to her.

"Good night..." she repeated as he was slowly walking towards the door. But she couldn't bare to see him leave and let her stay her all by herself. "Andrei! Could you...umm... stay with me I guess? I don't... like to sleep alone" said Alice a bit embarrassed she was admitting that. But it was true, in Hogwarts she slept with a bunch of girls and at home when she was little she would more often than not slip into her parents bed. Being here in this strange room all by herself sounded terrifying. "You could get another bed perhaps?" she suggested.
Alice Longbottom
Alice Longbottom
Fourth Year Gryffindor
Fourth Year Gryffindor

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top