QuadWizard Tournament - Page 2
Welcome to Potter’s Army

Welcome to Potter's Army

We have been a Harry Potter Roleplaying site since 2007. If you're an old member we hope you come check out the discord link provided below. And if you're looking for a new roleplaying site, well, we're a little inactive. But every once and a while nostalgia sets in and a few of our alumni members will revisit the old stomping grounds and post together. Remember to stay safe out there. And please feel free to drop a line whenever!

QuadWizard Tournament - Page 2 Li9olo10

What’s Happening?
Since every few months or so a few of our old members get the inspiration to revisit their old stomping grounds we have decided to keep PA open as a place to revisit old threads and start new ones devoid of any serious overarching plot or setting. Take this time to start any of those really weird threads you never got to make with old friends and make them now! Just remember to come say hello in the chatbox below or in the discord. Links have been provided in the "Comings and Goings" forum as well as the welcome widget above.

QuadWizard Tournament

Page 2 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

QuadWizard Tournament - Page 2 Empty Re: QuadWizard Tournament

Post by Jaquellene Jack Dyllan Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:26 am

No problem. I'm excited to see some members are taking the initiative to try to get some plot goings. I'm pleased to be able to help you guys out.
Jaquellene Jack Dyllan
Jaquellene Jack Dyllan
Gryffindor Graduate
Gryffindor Graduate

Number of posts : 10287
Special Abilities : Occlumency
Occupation : Unspeakable | Beater for the Falmouth Falcons | Deed-Holder of Satan's

https://jackles-feels-feelings.polyvore.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Khaat Lupin Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:45 am

i got your pm, guys. i'm not going to say no just yet, nor am i going to say yes just yet. this is a massively complicated event that normally ends up involving, in the end, such a small number of people compared to the effort that is put into it, that very often when we do this, the tournament falls on its face, no matter how good our intentions.

To do a tournament takes weeks of preplanning and behind the scenes writing and designing, and weeks to gain enough site support to do it, and weeks to actually run. and tournaments have probles and issues all their own that i don't typically see in other kinds of rp.

so, before the admins answer either way, i really do need to talk with the rest of the staff.

some of my questions, though, are:

in the past, the admin staff largely has tried to design the tournament and the tasks. are there people in the member base who would take on the tasks of designing the tournament and the tasks?

would these people also design the rules for the tournament and do the running of the tournament itself?

and in doing so, how would you decide which champion wins and which one does not? what criteria would you use? How will you separate out IC criteria from OOC criteria? There is a diference.

How do you make it fair for how each champion deals with each task so that no one gets an unfair advantage? How will you handle cheating if it happens?

how would you choose the champions from the houses?

Do you have enough people interested and willing to do this in the very short time you have to run such a complicated event between now and Christmas, presuming you want to finish by the time the Yule Ball would run? Or would it run past that? When would it start and stop?

I'm really not trying to put a damper on this, but doing something like this isn't at all easy.

k.
Khaat Lupin
Khaat Lupin
Gryffindor Graduate
Gryffindor Graduate

Number of posts : 22721
Special Abilities : Energy Worker, Medium, Heightened Sensitivity

Back to top Go down

Post by Mystique McKay Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:04 am

Ok, I think for the tasks we could use quidditch rules. If a member doesn't reply with 24/48 hours their elimitated or something like that. I think the winner for each task could also be the one with the best quality per post.

For the planning I have two weeks off school, at the moment and still have1 week and 6, days! I think this plot could go from end of October to Janurary if people are committed we could make this great. And I'm sure if we had a set guideline of rules, people would want to help and participate it will also give them new opportunities and to RP with people they haven't before.

For choosing I'll us an example.
Say 3 members of each house applied, we'd have a Hryffindor draw, out of the 3 and the one picked would b Gryffindors champion etc and we'd do that with the other houses.
Mystique McKay
Mystique McKay
Graduate
Graduate

Number of posts : 87
Special Abilities : Telekenisis

Back to top Go down

Post by Jaquellene Jack Dyllan Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:05 am

Here's my thoughts:

I don't have any students I'd want to involve so I can design events and rules.

I think that the judging of the selection depends on the characters. If the RPers have massively different experience, it would be done almost entirely IC. But if there is almost an even keel, I think it would be based on realism, creativity, and research. (I.E. someone who has the actual spell included, rather than "Bobby sent a spell towards the dragon's eye" would get more points).

Everyone will have a slight advantage or disadvantage in each task, due to experience of the character/RPer. The best thing is to play upon that. Perhaps there should be four tasks, and each plays to a certain skill of the Houses. I.E. one challenges bravery, the other with, the next one honesty/hard work, the last cunning/manipulation.

Cheating is handled like this- if you cheat, your character is disqualified. Banning is too harsh I think.

I think professors should nominate, based on class participation. Then we open it to a vote once the professors narrow it down- the professors will not be able to pick their own characters.

I'd say one event now October/Nov. Dec/Jan - Yule Ball. Feb/Mar - task 2. Mar/April - task 3. April/May-last task.
Jaquellene Jack Dyllan
Jaquellene Jack Dyllan
Gryffindor Graduate
Gryffindor Graduate

Occupation : Unspeakable | Beater for the Falmouth Falcons | Deed-Holder of Satan's

Back to top Go down

Post by Mystique McKay Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:09 am

I'd go for that! I think it could also be up to the HOH to decide! But only 5-7th years or something. I really only have one character I'd want to apply for it, so I'd help too!
Mystique McKay
Mystique McKay
Graduate
Graduate

Back to top Go down

Post by Mystique McKay Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:10 am

And also for realism, say just for an example the challenge was motorbike riding, if your girl is a girly girl, she'd have no chance. So you have to go to your characters strength, as no-ones perfect!
Mystique McKay
Mystique McKay
Graduate
Graduate

Back to top Go down

Post by Jaquellene Jack Dyllan Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:13 am

Professors nominate as many as they wish, Head of Houses review and pick 4 for their house. We vote for the 4.
Jaquellene Jack Dyllan
Jaquellene Jack Dyllan
Gryffindor Graduate
Gryffindor Graduate

Back to top Go down

Post by Mystique McKay Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:15 am

Also, we don't need that many people wanting to compete we really only need 8 so we can narrow it down for the study's, as we only need 4 students for the QuadWizard Tournament.
But more the merrier
Mystique McKay
Mystique McKay
Graduate
Graduate

Back to top Go down

Post by Mystique McKay Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:17 am

Well maybe drawing would be fairer, I know no-ones like that at this site, but is it possible maybe the voters/judges might be biased? Unless we have in the judges as Jack, Jess,Khatt, Eli and I maybe. Or maybe we don't need that many but you get my picture, the original people who went through with this idea XD
Mystique McKay
Mystique McKay
Graduate
Graduate

Back to top Go down

Post by Khaat Lupin Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:19 am

The more the members own this, the more likely I, for one, will be to support it. I can't speak for any other staff member. Let's see you put a working plan together and see if you can gain enough support for it. There are a number of good ideas in this thread. A suggestion? Be careful about being too quick to disqualify. As the tournament progresses the tasks should become harder, ideally. If it is true to canon. Also, remember members who are participating in the tournament may have small RL obstacles--like exams? Etc? You might need to be a little generous in your participation guidelines. Besides, from past experience, responding to a task requires a great deal from a champion and sometimes they want a few days to compose a response.
Khaat Lupin
Khaat Lupin
Gryffindor Graduate
Gryffindor Graduate

Number of posts : 22721
Special Abilities : Energy Worker, Medium, Heightened Sensitivity

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top