Please Read - Page 3
Welcome to Potter’s Army

Welcome to Potter's Army

We have been a Harry Potter Roleplaying site since 2007. If you're an old member we hope you come check out the discord link provided below. And if you're looking for a new roleplaying site, well, we're a little inactive. But every once and a while nostalgia sets in and a few of our alumni members will revisit the old stomping grounds and post together. Remember to stay safe out there. And please feel free to drop a line whenever!

Please Read - Page 3 Li9olo10

What’s Happening?
Since every few months or so a few of our old members get the inspiration to revisit their old stomping grounds we have decided to keep PA open as a place to revisit old threads and start new ones devoid of any serious overarching plot or setting. Take this time to start any of those really weird threads you never got to make with old friends and make them now! Just remember to come say hello in the chatbox below or in the discord. Links have been provided in the "Comings and Goings" forum as well as the welcome widget above.

Please Read

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Please Read - Page 3 Empty Re: Please Read

Post by Jaquellene Jack Dyllan Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:56 pm

You'll need to run your rules by an admin. We've had trouble with awarding points based on the actual writing- awarding someone something IC based on OOC performance. PA is a beginner's website and it tends to alienate those who are struggling to write more. The realism is good, though, as it is the main failure of duels.

We had a tier system, perhaps we can have one for our characters here. For example, Miss Jack here is only nineteen, so she should be about Tier Four, but as she has been duelling experts for about three years, she is Tier Three. Tier One is ridiculous, like Voldemort. Tier Two is still impressive- I believe the Minister was Tier Two. Students were not given tiers, but I believe any student put against an adult should fail, unless the adult is incompetent.

I think your next step is to contact an admin. They make a separate forum on the index for this club and ensure that no rules of the site are broken.
Jaquellene Jack Dyllan
Jaquellene Jack Dyllan
Gryffindor Graduate
Gryffindor Graduate

Number of posts : 10287
Special Abilities : Occlumency
Occupation : Unspeakable | Beater for the Falmouth Falcons | Deed-Holder of Satan's

https://jackles-feels-feelings.polyvore.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Demetri Gamble Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:13 pm

Thank you for all that. It was very helpful in all this.

I have thought that having my own index to do all this is would be best but I didn't think they just handed those out. I was considering do it in the Alternate Universe if I could get a little spot in there.

Yes, there would be quite the disadvantage in students v. adults. On one hand I like that fact because this is a underground secret kinda thing where anything goes and the young generations can try to prove themselves, but on the other hand I would like it to be more balanced. I'm open for suggestions...

Maybe instead of a point based system, what about a vote? We leave it to those present to post their vote on who they feel is the victor. Open for other suggestions as well....

Demetri Gamble
Demetri Gamble
Demetri Gamble
Graduate
Graduate

Number of posts : 42

Back to top Go down

Post by Jaquellene Jack Dyllan Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:30 pm

Well, are we going for fair based on the character or RPer. Because, on one hand, it would not be fair to say an adult character if they lost to a student because they did not respond in time; but it is not fair to the student's RPer if they were posting and the other person was not and they lost. Also, what happens when RL problems come in.

I think that instead of making sure there is a winner per thread, maybe after each round of duels, everyone decides on four top duellers. Then they are paired, and the duels can be decided between the RPers. There would be the semis' and then the finals. Naturally, the winner doesn't receive much. They can't even get recognition if they are anonymous. We could do "prize money" but that's not much of an incentive. Winning isn't the important part- participating is.

The admins can make a forum just for the group and only seen by the group. It'd probably just be in the Wizarding World Category.

Also- timing duels probably won't work. We never have Quidditch for that reason. With time zones and RL obligations, that rarely works.
Jaquellene Jack Dyllan
Jaquellene Jack Dyllan
Gryffindor Graduate
Gryffindor Graduate

Occupation : Unspeakable | Beater for the Falmouth Falcons | Deed-Holder of Satan's

Back to top Go down

Post by Demetri Gamble Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:55 pm

I understand the time zone issue. I'm suggesting all of the duels are posted and there will be a time period in which to finish the dueling thread. Like two weeks or something. I realize we all have life so I know specific time duels would not work.
Example: Potter vs. Granger Oct. 1 - Oct. 14. Two weeks to finish the thread (or even longer).

What if we separate adults and students? Adults v. Adults Students v. Students. Now are you suggesting everyone vote on who they feel should move to the next round?

I realize that people my have RL problems and can't post, but how else could you establish a winner if one of duelist didn't finish the thread. It's not like anything real will come out of winning the duel anyway, it's strictly for fun which is the purpose of this website I believe.

Demetri Gamble

Demetri Gamble
Demetri Gamble
Graduate
Graduate

Back to top Go down

Post by Jaquellene Jack Dyllan Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:03 pm

Even so, I guarantee some will not respond. I'd say after two weeks, you choose the four winners from those who completed their duels.

I think each student character should state their preference. Personally, even if I enter my students, I'd prefer them being paired with adults, even though they will be losing consistently. It's more fun for me. XD Each student's RPer should decide.

The winners would not be chosen one per thread. If the RPers ended up doing that, and finding a winner, I think that's great. But most likely, the duels won't actually 'finish' as that would require someone passing out or giving up. We'd all review all of the duels and pick the four we considered to be the most clever with their spells or whatever. We'd have more than 4 duels going on anyway, but I'm guessing 4 people would be a good number for the wrap up main winner scene.

For example.

Player A and B were duelling. Player A may have had the upperhand the entire time, but B was using a wider variety of spells, was more accurate, and was also clever. B would be picked.

C and D duelled and C was nervous and kept dropping his wand. D would wait each time before pressing the attack. D would win.

This is the sort of things that I hope would win. Some people will be unrealistic with their duels, so I think the characters that are written realistically and with effort would be best deserving of finals.

But I think we should do a few weeks of just duels without main winners first. To get a solid base of people.
Jaquellene Jack Dyllan
Jaquellene Jack Dyllan
Gryffindor Graduate
Gryffindor Graduate

Back to top Go down

Post by Demetri Gamble Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:08 pm

I'm thinking we have come to some good standards. I will talk to admin and see if I can get a new index added for us. If you could help with that that would be awesome. I assume you will have more pull than I.

Once I get the majority of rules and what-not I'll run them by you since you seem to be the seasoned vet of us so far. Wink

Demetri Gamble
Demetri Gamble
Demetri Gamble
Graduate
Graduate

Back to top Go down

Post by Jaquellene Jack Dyllan Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:33 pm

I used to be an admin, so I can usually anticipate the problems we will run into. I don't think you'll have a problem having them approve it. You can either list all of the points you have gathered regarding it (which will be easier for them but harder for you) or link them to this discussion (which might take awhile for them to get through as they have a lot of other duties.) No one's pull is more than anyone's, but the fact that we've all discussed it so thoroughly will be the best help.

However - You can say Jackles is on this too and will go down with the ship if it fails. ;D They are used to me jumping aboard random plans and then pushing like crazy. I love to plot. XDD
Jaquellene Jack Dyllan
Jaquellene Jack Dyllan
Gryffindor Graduate
Gryffindor Graduate

Back to top Go down

Post by Silvyr Svan Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:49 am

Instead of getting a reward in character, the winner could have that as apart of their profile and we could have their face on the Spotlight for that month! Until the next tourny they could wear it around like a badge of honor.
*If this grows and we do want to do something RPer ish as a reward we could have random shops give certain things to the victor which could stimulate the use of peoples shops on the site.

Silvyr
Silvyr Svan
Silvyr Svan
Gryffindor Graduate
Gryffindor Graduate

Number of posts : 333
Special Abilities : Animagus, Occlumens

Back to top Go down

Post by Demetri Gamble Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:59 am

I do like. Gives some incentive to win and you get a cool little something for the profile.

Demetri Gamble
Demetri Gamble
Demetri Gamble
Graduate
Graduate

Back to top Go down

Post by Jaquellene Jack Dyllan Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:15 am

I like it. And shops need activity.
Jaquellene Jack Dyllan
Jaquellene Jack Dyllan
Gryffindor Graduate
Gryffindor Graduate

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top