We need your opinion - Plot? - Page 3
Welcome to Potter’s Army

Welcome to Potter's Army

We have been a Harry Potter Roleplaying site since 2007. If you're an old member we hope you come check out the discord link provided below. And if you're looking for a new roleplaying site, well, we're a little inactive. But every once and a while nostalgia sets in and a few of our alumni members will revisit the old stomping grounds and post together. Remember to stay safe out there. And please feel free to drop a line whenever!

We need your opinion - Plot? - Page 3 Li9olo10

What’s Happening?
Since every few months or so a few of our old members get the inspiration to revisit their old stomping grounds we have decided to keep PA open as a place to revisit old threads and start new ones devoid of any serious overarching plot or setting. Take this time to start any of those really weird threads you never got to make with old friends and make them now! Just remember to come say hello in the chatbox below or in the discord. Links have been provided in the "Comings and Goings" forum as well as the welcome widget above.

We need your opinion - Plot?

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Do you think we should change the plot

We need your opinion - Plot? - Page 3 Bar_left100%We need your opinion - Plot? - Page 3 Bar_right 100% 
[ 19 ]
We need your opinion - Plot? - Page 3 Bar_left0%We need your opinion - Plot? - Page 3 Bar_right 0% 
[ 0 ]

Total Votes : 19

Poll closed

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

We need your opinion - Plot? - Page 3 Empty Re: We need your opinion - Plot?

Post by Keith Nicholas Sat Jun 05, 2010 5:31 pm

We could kill all the Potters off.

No, I'm being completely serious. No survivors. Zilch, zero, nana. It would be fun.
Keith Nicholas

Number of posts : 986

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Post by Jess Potter Sun Jun 06, 2010 1:12 am

Well i'm not being killed off, we're just not accepting anymore. And just to reply to your query, yes there were people who made a canon surnamed person with no intention of being related to the canon person (Myself)
But then other people come along and assume they're related, and it mucks things up, so we're just leaving it now.
Jess Potter
Jess Potter
Gryffindor Graduate
Gryffindor Graduate

Number of posts : 14221
Special Abilities : Wandless Magic, Seer, Flying, Legilimens

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1356010139

Back to top Go down

Post by Hugo Weasley Sun Jun 06, 2010 1:07 pm

Selwyn Thorfin wrote:
However, with respect to the Potters, there is at least one other pureblood family with the name Potter. They're on the Black family tree, and you can look it up on the Lexicon.

We can get back to topic in a minute. No doubt you are referring to Charlus Potter. If you looked on the family tree on the Harry Potter Wikipedia then you'd see there is a connection between Charlus and James Potter -- some speculate that he is James' father as the Potters had James when they were older.

No writer that I have come across has had characters that share the same surname but aren't related. Perhaps I'm not well read these days, I admit I am lax but J.K Rowling has decided on the canon families and clearly there needs to be some boundaries set. Think for one moment what the Blacks would do if they came across another 'Black'. It would break into chaos.

Never mind IC drama but the new players they will automatically assume that the character that holds the surname Rosier, Dolohov or Yaxley is related to or in fact the canon character from the book. Confusion or..what? There needs to be a decision on what will be allowed in the way of characters and not. I'm going back to the canons now because that is an area that has been neglected. I am willing to make one tbh. If there were more chances to play canon characters then there woudn't be such a need to make half-canons or 'ones that have canon last names but have nothing to do with the canons they just simply exist because they do.'

...back to topic then! (-:
Hugo Weasley
Hugo Weasley
Gryffindor Graduate
Gryffindor Graduate

Number of posts : 401
Special Abilities : Occlumency, Leglimency, Memory Manipulation, Non-Verbal Magic, Wandless Magic

Back to top Go down

Post by Khaat Lupin Sun Jun 06, 2010 1:49 pm

Personally, I think it is unreasonable to think that our characters would be livng in the same area as all those families that are mentioned in the canon without SOME canon characters, and the continuation of them. I'm not against setting some limits on that, but I think we do need to have canon and canonrelated characters. That, frankly, is part of the allure to an HP site--the chance to be either a favorite character from the books or related to one. Some of the other sites are wise enough to use that as a good selling point as to why someone should join the site.
Khaat Lupin
Khaat Lupin
Gryffindor Graduate
Gryffindor Graduate

Number of posts : 22692
Special Abilities : Energy Worker, Medium, Heightened Sensitivity

Back to top Go down

Post by Jess Potter Mon Jun 07, 2010 7:37 am

Have you ever looked through a telephone book? I can think of many names i see repeated. Lins, Wus, Smiths, Cowans, Burnses. All these people living in one district, do you think all of them are related? Sorry, i just see that particular argument as being flawed, if someone can provide a proper family history separate to the canons, they could be accepted, in time, just not right now.
Jess Potter
Jess Potter
Gryffindor Graduate
Gryffindor Graduate

Number of posts : 14221
Special Abilities : Wandless Magic, Seer, Flying, Legilimens

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1356010139

Back to top Go down

Post by Hugo Weasley Mon Jun 07, 2010 3:34 pm

I don't think the wizarding world has a phone book though, Jess. Most of the wizarding families were pureblood until they mixed in with half-bloods, muggles, muggleborns etc. They were old families carrying one name and one name only until the family line died out in the male line then of course it would go through into the females and then change but many of the families were old pureblood lines that were tampered with.

I am thinking from the point of view of the player though. If a new member saw 'Michael Abbott' for instance as a character then they'd connect him with Hannah Abbott almost instantly. This is not real life (obviously) and those who have read the books, watched the movies and even spent time reading up on the characters will know these names almost in an instant. The characters IC would expect 'Hannah Yaxley' or 'Jasper Doge' to be related to the members of the Death Eaters and Order of the Phoenix respectively. Forgive me but it just doesn't seem fair nor reasonable.
Hugo Weasley
Hugo Weasley
Gryffindor Graduate
Gryffindor Graduate

Number of posts : 401
Special Abilities : Occlumency, Leglimency, Memory Manipulation, Non-Verbal Magic, Wandless Magic

Back to top Go down

Post by Brian Quinn Mon Jun 07, 2010 4:00 pm

I don't think the arguement is flawed, Jess. You might have duplicate names in the real world but this is based on a fictional construct made by Rowling. And Eli is right. Writers are very careful not to do anything without a purpose when they write fiction. If a last name is repeated, it is because there is an intentional relationship being made. There is not really a lot of purpose in just randomly duplicating a last name. That would be confusing for an author's reader and completely unnecessary--unless it was designed specifically to be a plot point. And, frankly, even as avid of a reader as I am, I haven't seen that used as a major plot point. So, yeah. I'm agreeing with Eli. It is set in relatively small regional area where the likelihood that we'd have repetition of names in a society that knows it has to keep itself insulated and secret from the muggle world, i see, actually, inbreeding to be much more likely than random duplication of last names. Sorry, but that's my opinion.
Brian Quinn
Brian Quinn
Graduate
Graduate

Number of posts : 636
Special Abilities : Healer, Energy Worker, Portkey Creation

Back to top Go down

Post by Ne'Os Emof Mon Jun 07, 2010 5:26 pm

This is no longer on topic i suggest a admin should seperate this and make it a new topic.
Ne'Os Emof
Ne'Os Emof
Slytherin Graduate
Slytherin Graduate

Number of posts : 5547
Special Abilities : Wandless magic, Invisibility

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top