Characters
Welcome to Potter’s Army

Welcome to Potter's Army

We have been a Harry Potter Roleplaying site since 2007. If you're an old member we hope you come check out the discord link provided below. And if you're looking for a new roleplaying site, well, we're a little inactive. But every once and a while nostalgia sets in and a few of our alumni members will revisit the old stomping grounds and post together. Remember to stay safe out there. And please feel free to drop a line whenever!

Characters Li9olo10

What’s Happening?
Since every few months or so a few of our old members get the inspiration to revisit their old stomping grounds we have decided to keep PA open as a place to revisit old threads and start new ones devoid of any serious overarching plot or setting. Take this time to start any of those really weird threads you never got to make with old friends and make them now! Just remember to come say hello in the chatbox below or in the discord. Links have been provided in the "Comings and Goings" forum as well as the welcome widget above.

Characters

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Characters Empty Characters

Post by Elijah Krum Sat Mar 06, 2010 6:32 pm

Right,

I know as of late there has been complaints about having too many characters and how this site is probably clogged up with extra characters and I think I have a semi-solution. I don't believe in character just being deleted for the hell of it because they don't deserve it. Whether they are real or not they are still people with personalities and feelings (Oh god, here we go) and I always feel really guilty after deleting one which is why I don't often do it.

So, I thought we could have a 'Character Adoption' bit in the claims section. So people can put their characters up to be taken if they don't want them deleted forever and others can also finish canon and non-canon families off by specifying what is needed there.

The claims section is probably the most viewed place on the forum next to Hogwarts so why not put it there because you are in a sense claiming a character just like you are with canons. Except the only difference is that the characters have already been developed or a basic personality outline has been made.

Thoughts, anyone?
Elijah Krum
Elijah Krum
Sixth Year Slytherin
Sixth Year Slytherin

Number of posts : 4833
Special Abilities : Occlumens, Parseltongue, Animagus
Occupation : Owner of Eli's Fine Dining, Artist, Deputy Minister of Magic

Back to top Go down

Characters Empty Re: Characters

Post by Khaat Lupin Sat Mar 06, 2010 6:44 pm

I think this really, is excellent. First of all, some of these pre-established characters already have strong ties w/ other established players and it would encourage perhaps more positive relationships OOC, which then, hopefully might result in less onsite tensions.

Second, for new players, if they could come and find someone already established, or shy players, it would give them, perhaps some strong players to "mentor" under and hang with, for lack of more effective terminology, and perhaps make some folks feel more welcome a bit quicker.

And third, sometimes the deletion of an established character leaves a hole in the "mini-plots" or those unscripted things that we all do, and makes it difficult. And believe it or not, once in awhile, we all can get attached to some of these people and we don't want to see them go!

Rather than just shipping them to the graveyard, why can't we place, basically, a classified ad on the site looking for a new player to take that character on? At least for some given time period.

Makes immense sense to me.

Good idea, Eli!!

Khaat
Khaat Lupin
Khaat Lupin
Gryffindor Graduate
Gryffindor Graduate

Number of posts : 22574
Special Abilities : Energy Worker, Medium, Heightened Sensitivity

Back to top Go down

Post by Jess Potter Sat Mar 06, 2010 11:08 pm

Well, first of all we never actually delete characters, unless they have fewer than... 50 or 100, i can't remember atm. However we don't really do anything to try and get them filled, they just float around.

So really, that's a brilliant, idea, and we'll definitely follow that up. Well, i will anyway, because... argh, why didn't i think of that.

So, great job, and i'll put something in with the admins now
Jess
Jess Potter
Jess Potter
Gryffindor Graduate
Gryffindor Graduate

Number of posts : 14221
Special Abilities : Wandless Magic, Seer, Flying, Legilimens

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1356010139

Back to top Go down

Post by Elijah Krum Sat Mar 06, 2010 11:17 pm

I meant, the players deleting their characters Wink Not the admins. But random NPC's floating around is never much fun so harass the admins for me, Jess! lol
Elijah Krum
Elijah Krum
Sixth Year Slytherin
Sixth Year Slytherin

Back to top Go down

Post by Darren Sun Mar 07, 2010 8:03 am

Brilliant idea Elijah. I think we should really have this and a character request thing as well. I'll go make the topics now.
Darren
Darren

Number of posts : 22273
Special Abilities : Wandless Magic, Leglimens,

Back to top Go down

Post by Jess Potter Sun Mar 07, 2010 8:12 am

Already done the adoption, what do you mean character request? People shouldn't be able to ask for someone's character. Sure, if they're offering, but if not, they shouldn't ask.
But i may have misunderstood
Jess Potter
Jess Potter
Gryffindor Graduate
Gryffindor Graduate

Number of posts : 14221
Special Abilities : Wandless Magic, Seer, Flying, Legilimens

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1356010139

Back to top Go down

Post by Elijah Krum Sun Mar 07, 2010 10:41 am

Say you have a bunch of characters (canon or original) and the families are more or less completed but you're missing the vital ones like a parent, in the character request you can put forward a basic outline of their personality from the NPC play that was in your posts (Like with Eli's mum I've made her out to be nigh on evil) and then someone can take up that character and develop it further.
Elijah Krum
Elijah Krum
Sixth Year Slytherin
Sixth Year Slytherin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sandra Archer Sun Mar 07, 2010 4:46 pm

Ah, that's perfect! I placed something like this in the media section, but nobody's responded. If it had it's own section it would be a lot more active.
Sandra Archer
Sandra Archer

Number of posts : 240
Special Abilities : Memory Manipulation and Apparition

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top