Welcome to Potterís Army

Potterís Army is a roleplaying site that's been up and running since 2007. We pride ourselves on fostering a welcoming and helpful community where all levels of writers are accepted.

In this alternate universe, Lord Voldemort is dead, but so is Harry Potter. Factions continue to fight, Hogwarts educates the next generation of witches and wizards, and the Ministry of Magic does its best to hold everything together.

It is 2030 in the Wizarding World

Help us get new members by voting below

Honeydukes Topsites Top 50 RPGs Top RPG Sites
Word Counter

words: 0

View previous topicGo downView next topic
Ravenclaw Graduate
Ravenclaw Graduate
Monroe Ashcroft
24 : Alumnus
NoneDeputy
Minister of Magic
HalfbloodHuman
profileplotter
shippertracker
Sel

View user profile

A minor position in British Government

on Sat May 27, 2017 7:56 am
When Monroe was younger, he had aspired to become Minister for Magic. Indeed, so far as anyone knew, he still aspired to that position. It was a common dream, to want to achieve high office, and the status that came with it. And it was convenient, to let people believe one dreamed common dreams.

Monroe had, of course, planned his rise to the top meticulously. Or as meticulously as one could. He had trained in Occlumency, because many people would want access to the Minister's mind for any number of reasons. He had started at the bottom, and tried to see what made the Ministry tick. He had bided his time, waiting until he was "old enough" to be credible. And waiting for an opportunity.

He walked down the corridor toward Robert Lupin's office. Monroe had given up his wish to become Minister years ago, but there was still a particular position he had his eye on, and now was the time to get it.

Gryffindor Graduate
Gryffindor Graduate
Robert Lupin
69 : Alumnus
NoneMinister for Magic
PurebloodHuman
profileplotter
shippertracker
Khaat

View user profile

Re: A minor position in British Government

on Sun May 28, 2017 1:59 am
Robert had been flexing his time a little lately because of a couple of patients at St. Mungos that had been consuming more of his time than usual. Today, he apparated into the outer office, getting in just an hour off his usual time, but he had worked late into the night here last night, so the Ministry was more than getting its fair share of Robert's attentions.

He'd brought a large cup of tea in a paper cup, finding it a tad necessary but finding tea in a paper cup a bit of sacrilege. Tea never tasted quite the same in paper cups with plastic lids, not to mention he'd gotten the distinct taste of that infernal artificially flavored milk substitute that only further assailed what might have been a tolerable cup of black tea.

His secretary was away from her desk apparently, so, keeping his hand around the cup he flicked a couple of fingers at his office door to undo the enchantment securing his office, and the door opened. He went inside and put the foul tea on his desk and took a look at the large stack of papers that intended to vie for some of his time today--payroll being one of those matters that, he was sure, his staff would be glad if he signed off on.

Monroe Ashcroft
NoneDeputy
Minister of Magic
HalfbloodHuman
profileplotter
shippertracker
Sel

View user profile

on Thu Jun 29, 2017 4:36 am
Monroe paused at the desk outside the Minister's office. There was no secretary or receptionist anywhere to be seen. No note saying when he or she would return. Nothing indicating whether he ought to wait or charge in to see the Minister without announcement.

And people wondered why the Ministry for Magic was so ineffective.

Rules for breaks were obviously one of the first things Monroe would have to see to, once he persuaded Lupin to give him this position.

As there was nobody around to tell him not to, and Monroe had better things to do than wait around for a receptionist to get back from Merlin knew what, he proceeded past the desk to knock on Lupin's door.
Gryffindor Graduate
Gryffindor Graduate
Robert Lupin
NoneMinister for Magic
PurebloodHuman
profileplotter
shippertracker
Khaat

View user profile

on Sun Jul 16, 2017 5:12 am
(Sorry! feel free to nudge, kick, fold, spindle...etc. when I forget!)

Robert heard the knock on the door. It wasn't his secretary because, proper as she was, he knew she had disposed of knocking much without the entering immediately following, if she hoped to gain Robert's attention. This person who knocked was courteous enough to wait for a reply. Interesting.

Just in case, though, he closed the file of paperwork that seemed to be eternally growing before his eyes and secured it in the office safe and and put, in its place, a file of equal work but without the necessity for the security provisions. It wasn't that he distrusted people. It was that he preferred not to tempt anyone's appetite for things that were too delicate for most people to know. Still, a diversion was sometimes a very welcome thing, even if it was early in his workday here.

He got up and went over to the door and opened it. Ashcroft? He was just about the last person Robert expected to see this morning.

"Ashcroft. This is a surprise. Come in." Robert motioned for Ashcroft to enter. "What brings you to see me this morning?" He went back to the desk and motioned Ashcroft to sit and then went back to his own chair and sat down.
"Have a seat.

Monroe Ashcroft
NoneDeputy
Minister of Magic
HalfbloodHuman
profileplotter
shippertracker
Sel

View user profile

on Sun Jul 30, 2017 6:27 am
Of course it was a surprise. Monroe didn't get where he was by being predictable.

Nevertheless, he smiled as he took his seat opposite Lupin. †He barely put up with familiarity from his actual relatives, so this level of friendliness was almost painful, but Monroe had never seen the point of complete honesty either in word or deed.

"I understand there are a couple of positions vacant in your office," he said, mirroring Lupin's amiable tone. "Of course, I understand some people might say I'm too young, but I think you'll find I have an immaculate record and I have always been a quick learner."

Gryffindor Graduate
Gryffindor Graduate
Robert Lupin
NoneMinister for Magic
PurebloodHuman
profileplotter
shippertracker
Khaat

View user profile

on Wed Aug 02, 2017 1:49 am
This Ashcroft appeared to Robert to be stiffer than his brother. That made sense with what little Shylock had revealed about his family. Robert was making a few deductions about the man in front of him and had surmised that Monroe was stiffer, certainly more formal in his deportment, and ambitious--otherwise the younger man would not be here.

"I am not bothered by your youth," Robert said. "I am more concerned that when we place someone in a post that we've done our best to find not only what they want to do but what the best fit is for them. Tell me which position you're looking for and more about why you want to add your name in with some of the other candidates that are asking about it."

Monroe Ashcroft
NoneDeputy
Minister of Magic
HalfbloodHuman
profileplotter
shippertracker
Sel

View user profile

on Sat Nov 11, 2017 4:13 am
Monroe was cheered by Lupin's attempt to put him at ease. If they had been better acquainted, perhaps there would be reason for the Minister not to be bothered by his age. As it was, it merely showed terrible judgement. That was a trait Monroe enjoyed in a superior.

However, his next statement, that he wanted to find the "best fit" for Monroe, was so much feel-good waffle. Monroe may have been young, but he was not fresh out of Hogwarts. He'd been around, worked in three departments, and done his best to help the Ministry both inside and out.

Perhaps a more indirect approach was called for.

"Well, that's sort of why I'm here, sir," he adopted the manner Shylock used with their father.

"I'd like to apply for the Deputy Minister position, but I'm not sure whether I'd be a good fit. Maybe I'd be better applying for the Undersecretary position? I was hoping you could give me some advice."
Sponsored content

View previous topicBack to topView next topic
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum