The Mule and her Slave-Driver - Page 2
Welcome to Potter’s Army

Welcome to Potter's Army

We have been a Harry Potter Roleplaying site since 2007. If you're an old member we hope you come check out the discord link provided below. And if you're looking for a new roleplaying site, well, we're a little inactive. But every once and a while nostalgia sets in and a few of our alumni members will revisit the old stomping grounds and post together. Remember to stay safe out there. And please feel free to drop a line whenever!

The Mule and her Slave-Driver - Page 2 Li9olo10

What’s Happening?
Since every few months or so a few of our old members get the inspiration to revisit their old stomping grounds we have decided to keep PA open as a place to revisit old threads and start new ones devoid of any serious overarching plot or setting. Take this time to start any of those really weird threads you never got to make with old friends and make them now! Just remember to come say hello in the chatbox below or in the discord. Links have been provided in the "Comings and Goings" forum as well as the welcome widget above.

The Mule and her Slave-Driver

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

The Mule and her Slave-Driver - Page 2 Empty Re: The Mule and her Slave-Driver

Post by Melissa Finnigan Mon Jun 06, 2016 1:44 pm

The feeling that she had quite possibly said or done the wrong thing overwhelmed Millie all of a sudden. She opened her mouth and before she could really stop herself she exclaimed that she knew, that she knew she didn’t have to worry about him and the school because he was a gifted wizard and because he was him, so there was no problem, no concern, that he wouldn’t be able to handle it. The problem was …

“Well, me,” she shrugged both shoulders. “I don’t want to disturb or anything. It’s quite a lot of work, isn’t it, catching someone up with stuff that they should have done and gotten right the first time round. I shouldn’t ask any of the professors to help me because, I mean, I should’ve done it when I had the opportunity and I didn’t. So, I guess, I just … it feels wrong to ask it of them or of you. I guess it’s stupid but I don’t feel like I deserve it and Merlin knows, I don’t want anyone to worry about me when they should be thinking of their real students. That’s all. I’m not trying to look a gift horse in the mouth. I am grateful, really, but I just don’t want to bother anyone with me.” She finished lamely, looking down at her hands.

The only solace she could take, really, was that Keiran wasn’t interested in finding a Poppy. Yet, anyway.

“Thank you, Keiran,” she murmured, reaching out for his hand. She squeezed his fingers in hers and let go after a moment, wishing that she could have held on longer and laced them together. “I still have my books somewhere so at least I don’t have to get any new ones,” she added, smiling gently at him. “I’ll, um, I’ll give it a think and see what I can do to thank everyone. I think I have one idea so … maybe I’ll mull it over. I have to do something a bit special, really. Especially for you.”  

She perked up a little as his suggestions came. She absolutely adored the first one, as much as the second did seem attractive to her. A teacher. Sort of. She had no idea how she’d ever get qualified or how she’d find the money and the backing to open such a school. Or where she’d find the other teachers. There were problems, of course, but, that said, all dreams had their little clinching points. They were the hurdles that had to be overcome in order to make it all worthwhile.

“I think … you’re probably right,” she considered, her eyes falling to the twins, extending her hand so that Liam could catch hold of one of her fingers. “About the first one, that is. I … I really like the sound of it. Although, the seer in me does know what a room should do, you’re right.” She smiled a bit, the action becoming easier and easier. She couldn’t help but laugh, her first proper laugh, at his comment about Divination. She shook her head, unable to quite imagine herself teaching at Hogwarts. It would have been far too ironic for sense. That said, Divination (and Care of Magical Creatures and Herbology but who is counting them?) was her only decent N.E.W.T. Well, decent is a bit of an understatement. She’d gotten an O. She was good at it. She could teach the syllabus. She could have done that for him.

“I don’t know if I can,” she admitted, her tone bright all the same. “If you really are desperate, though, I’m sure I can help you out. Make me, like, last on the list. You need at least four death-predicting numpties before then to really sure up your opinion of the subject before I come in and prove its use,” she said with a wink, her grin irrepressible. “I’ll bamboozle you with my skill, Headmaster. You’ll put down your Transfiguring wand and take up a crystal ball in your amazement.” That time, she really did laugh, the sound bursting out of her. The image was enough and the feeling of actually laughing was … well it made her chest warm, it made her feel light. Happy. It made her happy. He did. He made her happy. They all did. This was what she’d been missing, for much longer than forty-one days.

“I wonder if Theo would be up for there being a primary school for little witches and wizards,” she considered more soberly, leaning back on one hand, the other still devoted to Liam, unconsciously mirroring Keiran’s body language. “Private investors would want a profit. If it got put to the Ministry itself, maybe they could allocate a small start-up sum. I know there’s a hall in Hogsmeade that could do with doing up. They could put another Knight Bus of sorts on to pick up the kids in the mornings, maybe. Then I guess … after logistics we’d just have to find someone as mad as me to help teach and cook their lunches – well, Ari could do that, maybe, since he quit at that restaurant in Lambeth not too long ago. I mean, it’s probably a few years off because we’d need to make sure they’re literate and can do arithmetic and stuff so I’d need to do Muggle teacher training, too, and then work out what’s worth teaching them out of the Wizarding sort of … well, world … what’ll help them when they stop being my babies and start being your big kids. This could really work, couldn’t it? Maybe?”
Melissa Finnigan
Melissa Finnigan
Seventh Year Gryffindor
Seventh Year Gryffindor

Number of posts : 669
Special Abilities : Seer

Back to top Go down

Post by Keiran Hayes Tue Jun 07, 2016 7:01 am

The fact that she claimed she didn't want him to bother with her was laughable. To Keiran, anyway. It wouldn't really be possible for him not to, despite everything. "All students are real students, regardless of their age. One could argue that I'm still a student myself. Teachers are students of their students, technically. Just as parents are, if they take a moment to listen," Keiran said, glancing over at the twins as he turned his chin and looked at the three of them properly once more. He wasn't entirely sure where that had come from, but perhaps the recurring need for him to be the level-headed one was what brought it out. Or maybe it was something his father had said once. He wasn't sure.

Either way, he believed it to be true, so he had at least that much going for him. Aside from the looks or whatever else someone might want to attribute to him. It was actually funny to consider how proud and pleased with himself he would've been back in his seventh year, perhaps even earlier. But now he wasn't so sure that it mattered at all, his appearance. He certainly cared, not half because he couldn't show up at Hogwarts in a months' time to teach and look like a furry beast. But it was habit, now, too. The one person it seemed to still matter around was Millie, though he would point out to himself at some time or other that it certainly hadn't saved him when she decided they were finished. Perhaps then he'd give no care at all when she came around to see the kids and ask about this subject or that.

Unlikely, really, because he would tell himself it didn't matter and then turn right around and give some sort of effort anyway, wouldn't he?

"I suppose it would depend on whose death they predict," he decided, laughing a bit along with her. Swinging his feet around, Keiran laid himself out on the blanket next to Kelly, half surprising her but mainly just making her wiggle around a bit more. He lifted up onto his side long enough to draw her into his arms and then onto his chest as he settled down again. "If they start saying I'm next to go, they'll certainly be ousted."

As Millie started considering his suggestions, he helped Kelly sit up properly atop his torso, careful to keep her steady and comfy. He imagined that she rather liked being taller than her father, being the one up high and, according to most, in charge. Still, she seemed determined to lean forward and take hold of his shirt instead, her face hovering close to his own. Keiran grinned at her and leaned up enough to kiss her forehead before looking back over at Millie.

Keiran could picture her walking into one of his lectures with her miniature students, only to find him behaving far more casually than he would have done the previous year. He feared that, as a newly titled Headmaster, he might receive a sort of anxious or quiet group of students. The image that played in his head was actually quite amusing, so although he was listening to her musings, he had a bit of some himself.

She would come in, followed by a trail of little tiny ones, only to find him standing at the front of the classroom. Except, he'd actually be leaning against the front of his desk, arms crossed casually over his chest as he greeted his students for the day. Millie's lot would probably be on something of a tour and not have realized he had lessons at that time. Or perhaps they did know, and were experiencing a true Transfiguration class, at least until they got too rowdy and had to move on. Considering that, he would make a mental note to do something cool before they got bored. But the class would be laughing and she would probably catch the latter end of his morning Hello.

Something like: "If you need to use the loo, that's too bad. You should've done that before class so just... don't. Or do so in your chairs. It's fine, no judging here."

And he would proceed to make something into a bird or a bunny or something that he could then carry to the back of the class and offer over to Millie while he carried on. A year ago, perhaps he would have made something into a flower to give her instead. An animal for her class to coo over would be far more sensible, now.

"Have you thought... I mean, you're only just now considering it, that's a stupid way to ask it. What I'm getting at is that, maybe it would be interesting to only teach Muggleborns," Keiran considered aloud. "They obviously wouldn't be of a level to learn anything taught at Hogwarts, so they wouldn't be ahead, per se. But some people come into our world knowing literally nothing. They don't understand how we send letters by owl, or what a floo is, or what the Ministry does. Yes, you could teach Muggle subjects to prepare them to read and write essays and everything else, but perhaps parents would be more willing if you explained that, along with everything they would get out of a regular primary education - say, Muggle subjects, too, which I guarantee you could find teachers for if you asked around - they would learn how to assimilate. For lack of a better word, anyway. I would wager," he elaborated, using one hand to support Kelly as he ran the other over his jaw and around to the back of his neck, "there are probably a fair few families related to wizards and witches that you could round up to teach. Then you wouldn't have the problem of explaining what these other strange lessons are about."

His hand reached more fully around his daughter, making certain she was secure, but he let the other arm remained bent at the elbow so it extended across the blanket to some degree but his hand could still support his head. "It's strange," he decided. "One minute the world is falling apart and the next you're making plans for your own school. The first of its kind, no less. That certainly sounds familiar."

He trailed off after the last sentence, realizing that she could take that as a jab that he didn't actually intend. Deciding that it would be safer to tack on a little bit of a correction, he added, "I just can't believe how cyclical everything seems to be. At least this time it might be done the legal and proper way. No angry Ministry to haunt you, hopefully."
Keiran Hayes
Keiran Hayes
Seventh Year Slytherin
Seventh Year Slytherin

Number of posts : 548

Back to top Go down

Post by Melissa Finnigan Tue Jun 07, 2016 11:03 am

Her profound man. A smile pulled at her lips and then fell as soon as she remembered that, in fact, he wasn’t hers at all. She’d decided that. So he was just a profound man. That didn’t have the same fond ring to it. In fact, even in her head, it had that lacking sort of hum of regret hanging around it. She had never underestimated his cleverness but she had never really felt she’d observed his ability to spin a memorable line. Perhaps that was the headmaster in him talking. She hoped that someone was taking notes and writing it all down for posterity. Then again, she didn’t think there’s was a story worth necessarily preserving. They’d aborted the happy ending between them, even if she’d pressed the final, big, red button.

“I hope you’re going to say something about lemon drops, too,” she commented, her smile returning. A snicker broke through her lips as her mind unwittingly pulled up the image of him looking a bit like Dumbledore after a few years in the hot seat. “Please don’t ever grow your scruff out,” she added, wondering if he had gotten the reference to the late, great man. “You would look fab in a pointy hat and purple robes, though.”

“In seriousness,” she looked up from her hands, “I’ll … I’ll try to swallow my pride and try not to feel weird about it. I just feel like I failed a bit and I should try and work it out myself rather than ask for help because I should’ve before when it mattered and I didn’t so it just feels weird. I know it’s irrational but I guess that’s semi in keeping with my character,” she smiled reluctantly. “I can’t explain it properly which means it’s probably stupid so I should just shut up and stop being an idiot and just do it, shouldn’t I?”

Millie laughed again and shook her head. She watched him closely, her heart blooming as he interacted with his happy little girl. She averted her gaze when his eyes found her again and she felt her cheeks warm a little bit. Reaching down, she curled her hands underneath Liam’s arms and gave it a little second of thought before scooping him off of the blanket. It was a lot easier than she’d thought it would be. Had she known what her grandmother had said, she would have felt rather proud of herself indeed. In truth, though, she mightn’t have cared as she got to fold her baby into her arms and cuddled him to her.

She looked up when he spoke again and immediately her mind started to turn. She knew immediately that he was onto a winning idea. Her clever man, too. She hadn’t forgotten that one, either. She just wondered if it would work. Well, it wasn’t a case of if. She wasn’t who she was for not making mad ideas work. With one notable exception, of course, but she could do without thinking about that. Not her clever man. Not her profound man. Not hers. She could make it work, she was sure of it. She just wasn’t entirely sure how to do it. Well, considering as she had a sounding board right in front of her… she would do well to use her words.

“How would I know, sort of, which Muggleborns to have?” She asked, unsure about whether she was phrasing it properly. “Like, how would I know they’re wizards? I know Hogwarts has a thing, doesn’t it? That sort of says or something … but …” her brows furrowed, rather adorably in fact, between her eyes and she smiled a little despite herself. “How would I know, Keiran?” She asked, mirth in her eyes as her voice took a dramatic edge to it. She lifted Liam’s hand and pressed the back of it to his forehead in a woe-is-me motion. “How would I knowwww?” She repeated, nestling her head down to press kisses to his cheek.

She bit her lip and nodded, ducking her head back down into Liam to hide the embarrassment.

“It might be dead in the water if they don’t back me,” she pointed out, resting her chin atop her boy’s. “Isn’t Theo running for the top job or something mental? I think I saw it in the Prophet a few days ago. Maybe … well, family favours and all that,” she smirked. “Mumma’s gonna have to get a haircut and find something presentable to wear to go and ask those silly men for money, Lee.” There was also the question of cleavage or no cleavage. She hadn’t been to the Ministry in so long. She didn’t know whether to plead while looking adorable or tempting. Adorable was probably the way to go considering she wanted a primary school.

“They’ll haunt me when they realise I’m not going to pay them back,” she considered with a grin, picking Liam up again to lay him back down on the mat beside his pa. She then turned round and laid herself down on her belly, swinging her legs into the air. Plopping a kiss down onto Liam’s tummy, she laughed a little and propped her chin up on her hands, her eyes flicking up to Keiran again.

“Funny old world, isn't it?” She agreed. “I still feel like I’m falling apart a little bit,” she admitted, “but you help.” Her eyes flicked to their babies. “You all help. Thank you, Keiran.”
Melissa Finnigan
Melissa Finnigan
Seventh Year Gryffindor
Seventh Year Gryffindor

Back to top Go down

Post by Keiran Hayes Wed Jun 08, 2016 12:23 pm

A surprised laugh left his lips as she moved Liam around, but he did have an answer for her, even though he felt he was pulling the information out of nowhere. "Well, they would be starting a bit later. Most don't show it until they're six, after all. So it may depend, but there should definitely be  a way for you to access that via Hogwarts."

Keiran considered - albeit incredibly briefly - pointing out that she wasn't quite Theodore's family anymore. But that was both rude and unnecessary. So he obviously kept that to himself, despite the fact that he made note of it and mentally cringed. "I hear he is, yeah. Not from him specifically, I don't think. Maybe I did. Been busy lately, so I can't even remember." Keiran shrugged, figuring it didn't matter either way how he knew, considering the idea of Theo running at all was the main point.

Something else that he shouldn't have said, but the one that he actually did, was: "You don't really need to worry about money, Mills. If it goes down the drain, you know I would help."

So, yeah, maybe that wasn't the right or best thing to say. She probably wouldn't want that from him, really. But it wasn't untrue. He would at least try. She may have set him off entirely  at the meeting, and he may have avoided her incredibly effectively before. But he hadn't expected to find out that she was doing herself in. That wasn't something he was comfortable with or something he could sit idly by and watch happen.

"Millie," he said, unable to reply directly to her words of appreciation. "I don't really know how it works. I never saw it happen to you before, obviously, but... I don't want you to feel that you have to... I don't know, ..hide whatever happens once you quite whatever you've been using. And you don't want to listen to them, I know, but you need to let Jane and Doug help you. Or... I mean, you could find me if you wanted to, though I doubt I'd be much help. You just shouldn't do it alone, if it's going to be bad. I don't doubt that you want to be with these two, but I don't imagine that it will be especially easy."
Keiran Hayes
Keiran Hayes
Seventh Year Slytherin
Seventh Year Slytherin

Number of posts : 548

Back to top Go down

Post by Melissa Finnigan Wed Jun 08, 2016 6:00 pm

“I hope so,” she replied, leaning down to rest her chin on Liam’s belly. “But, I mean, surely there’s a way of telling little witches and wizards apart from muggles – especially in this day in age?” She turned her head to look at her baby and frowned at him playfully, a grin on her face, one that he immediately mirrored. “Yeah, you’re a little wizard, aren’t you, clever boy?” She murmured, leaning up to nudge her nose against his. “And your clever sister, too.” Her eyes flicked over to Kelly and then considered. “Well, I suppose even if they aren’t, they’ll still be magic to us, eh?”

“I don’t know who I heard it from, actually,” the girl admitted, bringing her arm up to lean her cheek on her hand. “Who knows, maybe I dreamt it.” She smiled a little, her cheeks colouring of their own accord.

Her eyes went back to their children and she sighed contentedly, reaching out her spare hand to tickle the bottom of Kelly’s left foot. Her gaze flicked up when Keiran spoke and the residual scarlet in her face deepened and increased. She opened her mouth but she wasn’t sure what to say at his words. She dropped her hand down from Kelly and gently took his, squeezing his fingers in her smaller ones.

“I don’t want to ask that of you but I appreciate it, lo—” she buttoned her lips and cleared her throat before she fell into the familiar turn of endearment. She squeezed his fingers again before retracting her hand. “I think … isn’t that breaking the rules, as well?” She laughed a little and turned over onto her back so she was laid beside Keiran with Liam between them.

“I…” she closed her eyes. “It’s not pretty. The whole … bit,” she waved her hands through the air, as though, somehow, gesturing wildly would help her articulate herself, “isn’t pretty. I’ll try to keep busy and not … think about it, somehow. I don’t want to be around them, Keiran. I love my granddad but she’s toxic. After all she’s done … I can’t stay here much longer. I…” she sighed, puffing some of her hair out of her eyes. “I’m just not sure whether this is something you’re going to want to see. After … are you going to see me or are you going to see the addict? I know it’s a horrible thing to ask but it’s … it’s tricky and it’s messy and it’s not nice and I … I just don’t want you to think any less of me than you already must do. I don’t… yeah.” I don’t want to lose you, not completely.
Melissa Finnigan
Melissa Finnigan
Seventh Year Gryffindor
Seventh Year Gryffindor

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top