The Mule and Her Slave-Driver
Welcome to Potter’s Army

Welcome to Potter's Army

We have been a Harry Potter Roleplaying site since 2007. If you're an old member we hope you come check out the discord link provided below. And if you're looking for a new roleplaying site, well, we're a little inactive. But every once and a while nostalgia sets in and a few of our alumni members will revisit the old stomping grounds and post together. Remember to stay safe out there. And please feel free to drop a line whenever!

The Mule and Her Slave-Driver Li9olo10

What’s Happening?
Since every few months or so a few of our old members get the inspiration to revisit their old stomping grounds we have decided to keep PA open as a place to revisit old threads and start new ones devoid of any serious overarching plot or setting. Take this time to start any of those really weird threads you never got to make with old friends and make them now! Just remember to come say hello in the chatbox below or in the discord. Links have been provided in the "Comings and Goings" forum as well as the welcome widget above.

The Mule and Her Slave-Driver

View previous topic View next topic Go down

The Mule and Her Slave-Driver Empty The Mule and Her Slave-Driver

Post by Melissa Finnigan Sun Mar 29, 2015 8:54 pm

The hinges of the bedroom door squeaked open and it scuffed roughly as it caught on a thick bit of carpet. A muttered curse followed and the faint clang of glass, ceramic and cutlery. Eyelids flickered and pulled back, splitting moist and sticking lashes to reveal cloudy, robin’s egg blue irises that dully followed the flutter of activity by the door she had sealed shut nights and nights before, no longer making any effort to go down for dinner. She didn’t make any effort to get up, either, twisted in sheets that encased her like a tomb.

“Don’t bother yourself,” the coarse, toneless voice emanated from the bed.

An exasperated reply followed with the slam of a tray on the side table: “You need to eat something, Melissa!”

“Ghandi lasted twenty-one days, taking only sips of water,” came the airy reply, its substance like smoke, fluttering about Jane’s ears. “I wonder if beer has the same effect.” Light shimmered through the brown bottle as it was lifted into the air and a mouthful was taken, foam dipping out of the side of her mouth.

“Well you’re definitely not Ghandi!” Jane retorted belligerently, her hands falling to her hips.

“Maybe I’ll last twenty-two then,” a cold chuckle rose into the air, chilling Jane to the core. She opened her mouth but no words came and she rubbed her hands together roughly before crossing her arms over her chest.

“If you think not eating and drinking yourself to an early grave—”

“—My father’s daughter through and through, ain’t I?” The younger witch cut in sardonically between another two mouthfuls of long-flattened beer.

“—will get you your children back then you’ve got another thing coming!” Jane finished shrilly.

“Go to hell.”

The elder Finnigan coloured to an ugly, bloody shade. “If Keiran wants sole custody—“

“He can join you. Both of you can piss off – leave me alone.” The witch reached over to the bedside table and her hand fumbled clumsily for the green and gold packet, filter-tips and papers.

“You’re not smoking in here anymore.” Jane stuttered out, trying in vain to make her voice sound firm.

“You don’t get to decide what I do,” she replied darkly, turning her head to narrow her split and bloodshot eyes at her grandmother. “You took the last good things in my life away from me. I mean it: go to hell, Jane.”

“Some great mother you’d have been anyway,” Jane stormed over to the other side of the room, smacking away the girl’s hands. The clinking of bottles made her look down and as the witch slumped back against the pillows, her gaunt face twisted into a smile.

“Wouldn’t they have been just like me?” She breathed, staring up at her grandmother. “Finished. Wasting away. Growing up to be as dependent on this and that,” she threw the beer to the floor and gestured with a thin hand to the paraphernalia on the side table, “as I am?”

“If you want to smoke,” Jane meted out, “then do it outside. And eat something, for Christ’s sake, before you get any thinner.”

“Bury the dead, grandmother,” came the sardonic reply. “Bury me,” she clarified. “End this misery because the last parts of my heart went with them.”

“Believe me, Millie,” Jane replied softly, making her way to the door where she paused. “I wish I could.”

The wind had gotten up and it whirled about, lifting the hair from her back to reveal the pop-pop-pop of vertebrae wincing out of the skin of her back. She crouched down low, folding in on herself as she stood on the icy slab of the back door step. It had made it hard to light the cigarette, the wind, though her shaking fingers had hardly comprised of tobacco and paper a decent one. It’d do though. It was merely a vessel.

When it was lit, she drew a long breath of bitter smoke. Holding the end between her lips, her hands reached underneath the thin top she wore and bruised across her gooseflesh skin, feeling for the long, heavy chain of the locket she’d pilfered from God-only-knew-where now. Her clumsy fingers prised open the clasp and in her shivering palms she held the metal, turning over the screens to look at each face, moving and smiling within the frame.

All of them gone.

Inside, from the kitchen window, Doug and Jane watched as she pulled the chain, broke it from around her neck and left behind scored, angry red marks they could peep through her thinning hair. Sliding one arm around his wife’s middle, Doug let her lay her head upon his shoulder, their blue eyes watching as their granddaughter lifted the bottle of firewhisky she’d taken down with her, long having stolen it from the drinks cabinet, and took a long slug before pulling back her arm and with all of the strength she had in her, threw the locket down the end of the garden.

Her head fell then, her narrow fingers gripping into her scalp. Her shoulders began to shake and Doug drew his other hand about his wife, averting his gaze from his granddaughter. A long sigh rumbled through the old man and he rubbed his hand across her back. “Fix this,” he intoned deeply. “I can’t even see her anymore. I don’t know who that little person is curled up on my porch. Where’s my granddaughter, Jay? Where did the fight go?”

“I don’t know,” Jane replied with a ripped whisper that bubbled into a sob. She turned her head into her husband’s chest and her hand groped for his. “I don’t know,” she moaned. “I made a mistake.”

“Too right you did,” came a hollow retort as Elliot limped into the kitchen, a cigarette of his own between his lips. His hair was too long, his shoulders too narrow. Twins or not, they had never looked more alike, so soulless. So lost. And wounded still from bar fights from weeks before, both preferring the wounds would go septic.

“Come with me to go and get them,” Jane burst, her eyes flashing at him, desperate for some show of compassion but his remained unmoved, as though he didn’t feel anything anymore.

“I don’t have clothes that fit.”

“What’s the matter with you, boy?” Doug asked gruffly. “What did we do to you?”

“’s the situation,” he mumbled, lighting the cigarette. “I’ve done this rodeo before, kids. Just … never thought I’d lose ‘nother parent, eh?” His smile didn’t even try to reach for his eyes and he bruised past them, opening the back door to sit down next to the little waspish thing crouched there and take a swig of her whisky.

“Millie,” Jane ventured. “I’m … I’m going out. I’m going to fix this.”

The girl didn’t even turn round. “Go to hell,” she muttered. Though this time, it didn’t have any feeling in it at all.

“Can you apparate?” Jane asked, fiddling with the collar of the jean jacket she’d fished out of Elliot’s wardrobe. She’d resized everything bar his socks. A warm shower and some gauze tape over his cheek where it had been split by whoever it was he’d fought made him look better. His hair combed back from his face and tied back made him look more presentable. Nothing could take the darkness from under his eyes, though, or the hollowness of his cheeks away.

“I can’t do magic,” he mumbled, his words exiting his mouth in a sputtering rush that Jane almost missed. Almost.

“Can she?” Elliot’s eyes flicked to his grandmother’s and she got an answer for her trouble. No.

“Okay,” Jane considered. “Let’s go, then.” She offered him her hand and he slid it into her gloved palm.

The suffocating feeling of the magic wrapped around them and within a moment, Jane and Elliot reappeared on the corner of an empty street. His hand released hers and she winced as he bent over the nearest bin, hurling whatever his stomach was holding inside. She managed to pull him away, get him to drink some water and she flitted down the street to the nearest shop, purchasing a sandwich and a packet of crisps which he nearly consumed the packaging of in his haste. It was only then, once the queasiness had passed that she could carry on with her task.

Thundering her fist against the front door, Jane didn’t even pause for pleasantries when it opened, using the little bit of room that was revealed to burst inside. Elliot stayed on the porch, his hands loose in the too-big hoodie’s pockets. He stepped inside after a little bit of thought, as though he wasn’t sure the wards were going to let him across or whether the door was going to get slammed in his face. He wouldn’t have blamed the elder man either way.

“I need them back,” Jane rounded on the dark-haired wizard, unable to stifle herself anymore.

“That was nice,” Elliot muttered, leaning heavily against the wall, unable to quite keep himself stood. “Not a ‘how are you former grandson-in-law’? Talk about getting straight to the point.”

“Well what would you have me do, Elliot Finnigan?” Jane spat irately, her eyes flicking to Keiran’s. “I need the twins. Please.” She added. “She won’t eat. We only got her to get up today and that’s because I won’t let her smoke in the house. Please. If only maybe for an afternoon. We might get her to shower and to eat something just—“

“I’m never telling you a secret,” Elliot exclaimed, his mouth lifting up into a wry smile. “Nice, nan. You might as well add that our dealer is called Mac. Mackintosh, apparently. He is expensive for what he provides but it’s a means to an end. Furthermore, I’ve never quite seen her so thin. I doubt she’d even be able to hold Kelly.”

“Just for an afternoon,” Jane insisted, wishing she could curse her grandson. “Just so … just so … just so we stand a chance to get her better.”

“You blew that chance when you betrayed her trust,” Elliot muttered darkly. “She held up her end of that bloody marriage bargain. Two kids ahead of schedule. She broke her back trying to keep them happy. The only good things left in her life and you took them away like it didn’t mean anything … like they are some sort of bargain, the mule’s carrot, to make that witch work. Well she’s not a mule, grandmother. She’s tired. She’s finished. She doesn’t want to get better. Not when it’s easier to watch the guilt eat you up and, better still, leave you knowing you’ve probably killed her and you’ll have to make good with that when she’s finally finished breathing. Never mind what you did,” he wasn’t prepared to spare disdain for Keiran either.  

“Stop it!” Jane shrieked, reaching for the first thing she could hurl at Elliot – a poor and unsuspecting lamp which smashed against the wall as, quicker than she’d seen him move in months, he ducked out of the way. A distant sound of crying started in another room. “Oh God … I’ll fix that, I’m sorry. I just … I please … I need them back. Please, Keiran.”

“Yeah, yeah, please Keiran!” Elliot sang. “Save us! Give us the carrot. The Finnigans need their mule back.”
Melissa Finnigan
Melissa Finnigan
Seventh Year Gryffindor
Seventh Year Gryffindor

Number of posts : 669
Special Abilities : Seer

Back to top Go down

The Mule and Her Slave-Driver Empty Re: The Mule and Her Slave-Driver

Post by Lucien Holt Mon Mar 30, 2015 1:19 am

Keiran was just plain tired. He had not planned on taking on the twins until the end of the school year. Now that he was meant to be watching them as well as the school, things had become much more difficult. That wasn't to say that he thought he had it worse; if Keiran knew anything it was that Millie was undoubtedly having a rough go of it. But he had been begged - practically forced - into taking them on full time because it was supposed to help. So he couldn't very well say anything against it.

And, besides, he reminded himself, it wasn't as though other parents around the world didn't do just what he was doing. But he could admit to something, though: Seeing them reminded him of her, and that hurt something awful. Not a year in and already she was lost again. Obviously, he pinned a good bit of the blame on himself. He had been utterly terrible at their divorce meeting, and Mairen had been right to yell at him. But he sort of wished she had torn into him before the meeting had started. Maybe he wouldn't have been so awful or cruel. Because Keiran knew full well that he really and truly had been both of those things.

It was as he set the twins down for their naps and pulled out the Prophet - he hadn't had time to read it over breakfast that morning - that the loud knock sounded at his door. Keiran frowned slightly, but stood to answer it, hoping they wouldn't bang on the doorway again. He glanced down the hallway towards the spare - now the nursery - before pulling open the door and stepping back in surprise as Jane thundered into his flat.

"I don't-" he attempted, shaking his head. They seemed to be having it out whether or not Keiran was there, only turning to him off and on as they fought. All he got out of it, though, was that Millie was in serious need of help, and somehow he had something to do with it. When Jane finally said it outright, Keiran felt ill.

"You say that as though they're objects," he uttered, completely disbelieving. Still, he started off towards the twins' room, leaving the door open for Jane if she chose to follow him, and made his way over to Kelly's crib. Keiran offered a hand down to her and nearly smiled when she latched on, his fingers wiggling a bit at her sides in a near-tickle that seemed to soothe her. Upon discovering that Liam, too, was awake, he decided that naps were perhaps not the best way they could be spending their time. Once he fully understood the situation with Millie, it sounded like their mother needed them. So he passed Kelly carefully into Jane's arms before going to collect Liam and heading back into the living room.

"You should have told me if it was this bad," he told Jane over his shoulder. "I wouldn't have kept them away except... you said there was nothing else to do. I thought I was supposed to be helping." He shook his head, anger straining his shoulders. "Elliot," he attempted, turning towards the younger man with obvious concern, "I wouldn't have left it like this if I'd known. This was supposed to make it better. How was I supposed to know she's gotten like this? Never have I seen that part of her, and to be quite honest, I'm grateful for that. I know you won't want it, but there's a part of me that wants to storm over there myself and tell her to pick up the pieces and get sorted.

"If being away from the kids made it worse, ...let's just split the time again. Slow at first, if you think it best, Jane. More so when she starts getting better. If seeing them is enough incentive to make her change, perhaps we should go with that. More time based upon... Hell, I do sound like a bloody Headmaster, don't I? - More time based upon her willingness and her attempts at getting better."

Keiran hesitated briefly and looked between them before adding, his tone more gentle, "I was the one more in the wrong when we last saw each other. I was used to a strong, almost defiant woman who was brilliant at convincing me to give her whatever she wanted. I'm not sure I can even imagine what she's turned into if you've both come running over here. I obviously won't impose or anything, but the moment I find out one of these kids gets hurt or so much as frightened, you can bet she won't have to be warned through somebody else. I won't deny the fact that I still care for her, but I won't have her doing to them the same as I did - or worse. They deserve better, and she used to be that 'better,'" he made air quotes with one hand as he kept Liam upright with the other. "If she isn't, I won't stand silently by."
Lucien Holt

Number of posts : 612
Special Abilities : Seer l Heightened Sensitivity

Back to top Go down

The Mule and Her Slave-Driver Empty Re: The Mule and Her Slave-Driver

Post by Melissa Finnigan Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:06 pm

That was the word that Elliot had been looking for.

“Objects!” He exclaimed, slapping his palm against his forehead dramatically. “That’s what they are. They’re objects! You continue to be brilliant, Hayes. I forget that you’ve got a brain in that thick head of yours.”

“Elliot!” Jane hissed despairingly, her eyes flashing darkly. “For goodness sake – don’t treat him like this. It’s not true.”

“Of course it’s true,” he returned snidely, without skipping a beat. “Because ‘objects’ is right, grandmother. Tell him he’s wrong. Go on. Stand there and tell him, lie to him, that you value them as people, as your great-grandchildren. Then tell him you actually value her as a person, as your grandchild. Lie to his face and tell him you’re not just looking for a way to manipulate her and that she’s not just a pet project to assuage your guilt for abandoning us when dad died. Tell him – and fix that damned lamp.”

Jane passed her hand over the shards as bidden, reacquainting the broken pieces. She swallowed and took Kelly when Keiran offered her. Jane cuddled her close, bouncing her gently, and looked round as Elliot approached, holding his hands out for the little girl. He extracted her from Jane’s arms and snuggled her into his coat, his long fingers tickling under her chin, managing to rouse a smile which provoked one of his own – a real one that glimpsed at the man instead of the creature both he and his sister had been reduced to.

For a moment, he looked a little more human.

“It’s not like that,” Jane attempted, flushing an ugly shade of pink. “You were doing right,” she insisted. “I thought … I thought I was, too. I thought this would help.”

“Did you ever even ask Millie?” Elliot asked softly as Keiran addressed him. “Did anyone actually think about what she would have wanted?” He bounced Kelly in his arms, sorely wishing that he could’ve raised his voice to both of them. His eyes flicked between Jane and his former brother-in-law and the former had the good grace to let her guild show. “She,” he pointed crudely at Jane, “thought she was doing best and got you in on it but neither of you gave a whit about my sister.”

Elliot stiffened at the last bit and Jane took her chance to jump in.

“I think that’s a good way of doing it,” she rationalised. “And maybe … maybe if you could say something,” she added optimistically. “If you could just see her, perhaps. She won’t see reason with any of us but she values your opinion … maybe you could …”

“What on earth gives him the right to storm anywhere and get in her face?” Elliot asked levelly, glaring at his grandmother. “She never once dropped the ball, not once, when you,” he turned his head to Keiran, “didn’t bother but when she stops for a minute and can’t keep herself sorted, when she can’t hold the pieces anymore because her hands are bleeding … she’s a child? She needs incentives to put a brave face on it just to satisfy you when what she needs is her children and they their mother?” His gaze flicked to Jane. “She can’t be broken? She’s only allowed her only children when she’s pretending to be okay again? When she conforms to your idea of being good and healthy and fine? Now how is that fair?”

“Leave then,” Jane snapped. “If you’re so upset about it. I’m doing my best for her.”

Elliot straightened himself up, hugging Kelly closer. “If we left … where in God’s name would we go, hm? How could she ever have them then if we have to go back to squatting?”

“You have a mother!” Jane exclaimed, barely keeping her temper in check.

“Then for God’s sake let Kelly and Liam have theirs!” Elliot emphatically ruled. “They do deserve better, Keiran, you’re right, but Millie has always been and will always be better. There is no one she loves more in this world than them. If you think … which clearly you do … and so do you, grandmother, that she would do anything to hurt them or scare them or not be anything other than her complete best for them then you’ve got another thing coming and you,” Elliot’s eyes narrowed into a glare he fixed upon the elder wizard, “have no right to ever say you loved her.”

“Oh yes,” Jane bit back, finally gaining her strength. “Because she is such a good influence! Where do you two go at night? I lock the doors. How do you get back in? There is alcohol everywhere. Drugs. Drugs in my house! The ceilings are covered in tobacco. You’re both as thin as rakes as though we’ve left you chained to the beds and not let you eat. You said it yourself – she couldn’t lift Kelly. I don’t know how you’re holding her now. She’s belligerent. Rude. Both of you are. You’re ungrateful. Neither of you have been sober in weeks! What on earth would make you think I would allow those children back into an environment like that?”

“Get it through your thick head,” Elliot snapped, striding towards her as Kelly began to shift in his arms, sensing the unrest and eager for a way out. “She wouldn’t let anything happen to them. She quit cold turkey once for them and she’ll do it again. Have you ever just stopped to wonder what Millie wants? No wonder she’s pissed at you when all you’re doing is assuming she can’t handle them when they’re the only thing in the world she wants?!”

“She can’t even look after herself, Elliot!” That was the final straw and Kelly broke into a soft cry, turning her head into Elliot’s chest. He stepped back and began to bounce her, whispering his apologies. Jane drew her fingers through her hair, one hand falling to her hip. She glanced up hesitantly at Keiran. “Sorry. I’m sorry. We need … we need a bit of help, I think.”

“Maybe none of yours though, eh?” Elliot bit back at her, continuing to rock Kelly.

“There, you look better, don’t you?”

Doug’s warm voice lifted up the stairs from the bottom where he stood, waiting for his granddaughter who he had coaxed into having a shower. Whereas she had reeked of cigarettes and alcohol, just as her brother had done, she was now faintly smelling of raspberries and she had a little bit of colour in her cheeks to boot. It didn’t take away the ill hue, mind you, and she certainly didn’t look cured but hot showers worked miracles and in new clothes, an old hoodie of hers and some pyjama bottoms she’d managed enough magic to resize, she looked wonderful in Doug’s view.

“Now how about some tea?” He suggested, taking her hand in his.

“It’s okay, granddad.” She replied, shrugging her shoulder.

“No, I insist. I made you a pot and I got your favourite biscuits.” A knock sounded at the door, breaking Doug off as he sat Millie down on the sofa. “I wonder who that could be?”

Despite his gesture for her to wait where she was, Millie got up again and watched as her granddad walked down the hall and fiddled with the lock, opening it up. She felt her breath catch in her throat. Her babies.
Melissa Finnigan
Melissa Finnigan
Seventh Year Gryffindor
Seventh Year Gryffindor

Number of posts : 669
Special Abilities : Seer

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top