Bad Romance
Welcome to Potter’s Army

Welcome to Potter's Army

We have been a Harry Potter Roleplaying site since 2007. If you're an old member we hope you come check out the discord link provided below. And if you're looking for a new roleplaying site, well, we're a little inactive. But every once and a while nostalgia sets in and a few of our alumni members will revisit the old stomping grounds and post together. Remember to stay safe out there. And please feel free to drop a line whenever!

Bad Romance  Li9olo10

What’s Happening?
Since every few months or so a few of our old members get the inspiration to revisit their old stomping grounds we have decided to keep PA open as a place to revisit old threads and start new ones devoid of any serious overarching plot or setting. Take this time to start any of those really weird threads you never got to make with old friends and make them now! Just remember to come say hello in the chatbox below or in the discord. Links have been provided in the "Comings and Goings" forum as well as the welcome widget above.

Bad Romance

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Bad Romance  Empty Bad Romance

Post by Maximus Morrison Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:53 pm

I was reading through some of these threads and later discussion in Addie's thread gave me inspiration for something I feel pretty strongly about. Endgames.

There's no denying it - writing romances is fun. Who doesn't love to watch their character meet someone new, feel those butterflies, and eventually sail off into the sunset with them? But the longer I've RPed the more I've realized that true love isn't everything. My advice?

Couple in a giant fight? Have them break up. Permanently.

A crush? Leave it pining and one sided.

Have a playboy/girl character? Let them refuse to commit.

Let your characters fall out of love as easily as they fall into it.

In my experience non-endgame ships are some of the most angsty, fun, and feelsy. Letting your characters evolve naturally often means that personalities will shift and couples that you once thought were soul mates no longer mesh like they used to. Breakups are easier than working through problems and many are too proud to come back and beg for forgiveness. Letting your characters relationships build, ebb, flow, and even disintegrate before your eyes not only feels more natural but makes things more exciting.

For example, Gabrene (Gabby Short and Irene Norwood) is currently one of my most rewarding 'ships'. Before we even started posting it was evident that there was absolutely no chance of either character developing anything close to feelings for each other but that doesn't mean we can't explore the romantic dynamic of the characters even when they aren't in love or endgame. Gabrene are married, hate each other, and will gradually develop a begrudging respect for eachother. That possibility of respect makes me more emotional than some of my other true love endgame ships.

Additionally, Rlaire (Robin Ivanov and Claire Bishop) were classic first loves. They were perfect together, nothing was wrong in their relationship, head over heels in love.. Then they graduated. Life happened and a couple who could have very possibly been soul mates just moved on because that's what sometimes happens.

I've got countless more. Nate and Nessa. Audriana and Robin. Mira and Eli. And they all hold as big a place in my heart as the ships destined for a domestic life with six babies.

So I guess all I'm recommending is don't lock your character down too early. Let them fall in and out of love, get their heart broken then move on. Not every first love needs to get married and not every marriage needs to end in love.
Maximus Morrison

Number of posts : 320

Back to top Go down

Bad Romance  Empty Re: Bad Romance

Post by Kipling Parsons Sat Aug 02, 2014 2:33 am

And Robin and Elsie.

I'm on my phone so I can't post my full thoughts on this buuuut

DANG GIRL YOU LOOK GOOD WITH THOSE IDEAS.

Kipling Parsons
Kipling Parsons
Slytherin Graduate
Slytherin Graduate

Number of posts : 98

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum