Books Are For Landlubbers YARG - Page 2
Welcome to Potter’s Army

Welcome to Potter's Army

We have been a Harry Potter Roleplaying site since 2007. If you're an old member we hope you come check out the discord link provided below. And if you're looking for a new roleplaying site, well, we're a little inactive. But every once and a while nostalgia sets in and a few of our alumni members will revisit the old stomping grounds and post together. Remember to stay safe out there. And please feel free to drop a line whenever!

Books Are For Landlubbers YARG - Page 2 Li9olo10

What’s Happening?
Since every few months or so a few of our old members get the inspiration to revisit their old stomping grounds we have decided to keep PA open as a place to revisit old threads and start new ones devoid of any serious overarching plot or setting. Take this time to start any of those really weird threads you never got to make with old friends and make them now! Just remember to come say hello in the chatbox below or in the discord. Links have been provided in the "Comings and Goings" forum as well as the welcome widget above.

Books Are For Landlubbers YARG

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Books Are For Landlubbers YARG - Page 2 Empty Re: Books Are For Landlubbers YARG

Post by Padril Crennent Sat May 25, 2013 9:21 am

Padril gasped at the story, feeling like those merpeople were awfully clever yet awfully silly at the same time. Sure, those sound-projecting orbs sounded ingenious, but robbing wizarding ships of a few gold coins could hardly make a large income, could it? If they robbed muggle ships, then when it was reported to police, the appropriate forces from the relevant nation's DLE would deal with them. His thoughts darkened as realised what the merpeople actually did with the muggles. They wouldn't let them go. They would lead them to shores with their siren song and smash them against the rocks, nesting in the ruined boats and looting the remains. If there was no one to report, and if they were careful, the truth would never be discovered. Interesting.

"What do they do with the gold, do you think?" Padril asked, regaining focus. "What's their motive in extortion and shipwrecking? Do the merpeople really have that large of an economy? Or is it more cultural?" Not for the first time, Padril considered learning one of the languages of the magical creatures. Merish was the most interesting of the three that sprang first to his mind. Maybe he could learn it with Darcy, if she was interested.
Padril Crennent
Padril Crennent

Number of posts : 136

Back to top Go down

Books Are For Landlubbers YARG - Page 2 Empty Re: Books Are For Landlubbers YARG

Post by Robbie Fairfax Mon May 27, 2013 12:26 am

Darcy thought it was interesting. Here, Padril was one of the smartest kids in Hogwarts - something she had no proof of (as he was one of the few people she even knew) and yet still firmly believed. What she admired about Padril, was he was not one of the classic bookish types that only knew what he read, but couldn't think a step past what they took in. He was one of the few that could actually apply something.

She liked his questions. It wasn't like she knew the real answers, but she could make some educational guesses from her experiences with them. She shrugged. "It's not to benefit them. Sure, I think they like holding on to our trinkets the way we collect shells, but it's more of depriving us of something. We weren't intending on selling the gold, but we had taken a month to find the wreck they came from. They knew they were exercising power over us. That was the reward."
Robbie Fairfax
Robbie Fairfax
Gryffindor Graduate
Gryffindor Graduate

Number of posts : 98

Back to top Go down

Post by Padril Crennent Mon May 27, 2013 6:05 am

Padril leaned back in his chair, hand on his forehead. "Whoah," he said simply, trying to comprehend the culture behind such an exchange. "I wonder if that sort of exchange, with the goal of humiliating the other party and leveraging some sort of social power over them, informs all of their culture or only their interactions with wizards.What does it mean for currency, and power? How did they view wealth then, is it in possessions earned, or given in tribute?" He raised a finger as if an idea had just come to him, then put it down again, frowning. Merpeople were fascinating. Fiercely isolationist, alien, and intelligent. And wizards knew so little, and likewise cared, about them! Ludicrous!

The boy's eyes flickered down to his work on his table, then back up to Darcy. "Can...can I have another story? Before we get back to study?" he pleaded. "This is so much more interesting."
Padril Crennent
Padril Crennent

Number of posts : 136

Back to top Go down

Post by Robbie Fairfax Mon May 27, 2013 6:15 am

Darcy wasn't sure about this big word talk, and complicated phrasing. She wasn't a big thinker. She saw and she understood. She never understood the need to delve into anything, but she was glad there were people like her Hufflepuff pal who did think more deeply. Though she really didn't care about the society she legally belonged too (maritime law separated her from society really) she was glad there were some smart people on their side.

"I dunno much about their economy of anything. I believe they do everything through barter, so trinkets and treasure are important." She shrugged. "That's all I have for you." She smirked.

He wanted another story. She was glad to give. "My friend Bryce pulled the best prank on me. I do the rigging - which is working the sails and whatnot. It's a lot of working of ropes and whatnot. I don't know how he did it, but he wrapped one of the ropes around my ankles so, when I began to pull the ropes, I ended up hoisting myself up to the mast upside down." She laughed heartily, throwing her head back as she pounded her chest with her open hand.
Robbie Fairfax
Robbie Fairfax
Gryffindor Graduate
Gryffindor Graduate

Number of posts : 98

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top