You and Your Character?
Welcome to Potter’s Army

Welcome to Potter's Army

We have been a Harry Potter Roleplaying site since 2007. If you're an old member we hope you come check out the discord link provided below. And if you're looking for a new roleplaying site, well, we're a little inactive. But every once and a while nostalgia sets in and a few of our alumni members will revisit the old stomping grounds and post together. Remember to stay safe out there. And please feel free to drop a line whenever!

You and Your Character? Li9olo10

What’s Happening?
Since every few months or so a few of our old members get the inspiration to revisit their old stomping grounds we have decided to keep PA open as a place to revisit old threads and start new ones devoid of any serious overarching plot or setting. Take this time to start any of those really weird threads you never got to make with old friends and make them now! Just remember to come say hello in the chatbox below or in the discord. Links have been provided in the "Comings and Goings" forum as well as the welcome widget above.

You and Your Character?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

You and Your Character? Empty You and Your Character?

Post by Tarran Price Sun Nov 20, 2011 1:47 am

How do you all relate to your characters? Are your characters more like an embodiment of yourself (i.e: same interests, personality, attitude, etc.), or are they entirely unique? I know everyone here has filled out that application sheet, but when you roleplay, do you stay true to your character? Do you often find that haughty, impeccable Slytherin exchanging friendly words with a Gryffindor, just for the sake of continuity?

I treat my characters like they're my children. And they kinda are. XD I stay true to certain traits they have and often make sure they differentiate from my own persona. I develop my characters like real people, and real people are complex. They have histories. There are reasons why they turned out to be who they are.

For Sabriel, he is his own unique person. In fact, he is the polar opposite by myself. You can imagine how hard it is to write him! Everything I would do, Sabriel must do the opposite. X3 But Sabriel is so realistic to me it's like knowing him as a separate identity, and not as an extension of myself.

Tarran is definitely more like me. Only one thing: he's a boy. And in a boy like Tarran's mind, when they see a cute girl, everything becomes chaos in there. And no, I'm no lesbian! But I feel like it's cliche to make a beautifully gorgeous female character off the bat just because you're a girl. On many sites I've visited, male characters are in high demand.

Am I finished? Well that'll do for now. XP

Reply and let me know how your characters relate to you!
Tarran Price
Tarran Price

Number of posts : 24

Back to top Go down

You and Your Character? Empty Re: You and Your Character?

Post by Matthew Lestrange Sun Nov 20, 2011 2:27 am

The old Matt was based entirely around me at the time. Desperate for recognition and to be taken seriously.

This new Matt is not based on me as much as the old one. We're both alot more serious now and we both understand when it's our time to shine and when its not.

Seventh Year Slytherin
Seventh Year Slytherin

Number of posts : 6872

Back to top Go down

Post by Aaron Marcheti Sun Nov 20, 2011 4:31 am

Aaron is what I want to be in real life. He has a goal and does whatever it takes to accomplish that goal. He has no problem stepping over people to get to the top and is a very good talker.

I wish I was evil.... -sigh-
Aaron Marcheti
Aaron Marcheti
Slytherin Graduate
Slytherin Graduate

Number of posts : 644
Special Abilities : Leglimency, Occlumency

Back to top Go down

Post by Silvyr Svan Sun Nov 20, 2011 6:27 am

I am Silvyr honestly. I like being by myself rather than around all of my friends. I own a Siberian Husky named Leah and I spend 80% of my time with her when I'm not on the road for my job. The only thing that is different is that he has two full blood parents who love him with all of their hearts and he studies. I have ADHD and I can't read unless I am completely wrapped up into it.

Other than that he is me. I'v found that true writing and acting comes from finding yourself so I enjoy asking myself 'what if' this were to happen to you and I see it all in my imagination as you do when you write your post and then I embody my feelings. That's why I usually write so much because it's all information that I'm seeing and I feel I should share it to make the writing come to life.

By the way, Leah says hi.
Silvyr Svan
Silvyr Svan
Gryffindor Graduate
Gryffindor Graduate

Number of posts : 333
Special Abilities : Animagus, Occlumens

Back to top Go down

Post by Tarran Price Tue Nov 22, 2011 7:27 pm

Great posts! ^_^ . Lol, I wanted to know because I am a curious little bastard. All right, I now have better insight on you all! 9/10 my characters will differentiate from myself. I find it entertaining developing entirely different personas to play with.

Tarran, though we share the same attitude, is more or less based on my cousin, although I truly should not say that. Tarran has both aspects of his play-by and my own twists. My cousin just came to mind a lot when I made him. And as I said before, Sabriel is unique entirely. He's the byproduct of a helluva lot of daydreaming and brainstorming.
Tarran Price
Tarran Price

Number of posts : 24

Back to top Go down

Post by Jaquellene Jack Dyllan Thu Jan 12, 2012 6:25 am

I think Jack is the person I'd be if I was not influenced by the people around me. However, I try to draw a clear line between myself and my charaters. I think people forget that they are not there characters, that the things happening to their characters are not happening to them. You follow?

My other characters usually have one or two of my strengths and a ton of my flaws. Or they're crazy and random and based off of someone I'd like to be friends with or run into, etc.
Jaquellene Jack Dyllan
Jaquellene Jack Dyllan
Gryffindor Graduate
Gryffindor Graduate

Number of posts : 10287
Special Abilities : Occlumency
Occupation : Unspeakable | Beater for the Falmouth Falcons | Deed-Holder of Satan's

https://jackles-feels-feelings.polyvore.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Christian Cage Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:47 pm

This is not my first RP forum (it's the first foreign), so Christian Cage is not my first character.
I always put much of me int the character - mostly personality, skills and abilities. And it becomes like a... almost 80 % Myself. Except the look.

Recently I started creating male characters (I'm a girl) cuz I feel more comfortably playing as a guy. Don't know why. And if I'm sorted in Slytherin - I act as a REAL green one. Even more realistic, if it's possible. In RP posts (situations) I treat other house students just like a slytherin member. But in general I try to be a friend with the other users. There is a big difference between RP gaming and personal relations, u know. :]]
Christian Cage
Christian Cage

Number of posts : 10

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top