Changes for Hogwarts this year
Welcome to Potter’s Army

Welcome to Potter's Army

We have been a Harry Potter Roleplaying site since 2007. If you're an old member we hope you come check out the discord link provided below. And if you're looking for a new roleplaying site, well, we're a little inactive. But every once and a while nostalgia sets in and a few of our alumni members will revisit the old stomping grounds and post together. Remember to stay safe out there. And please feel free to drop a line whenever!

Changes for Hogwarts this year Li9olo10

What’s Happening?
Since every few months or so a few of our old members get the inspiration to revisit their old stomping grounds we have decided to keep PA open as a place to revisit old threads and start new ones devoid of any serious overarching plot or setting. Take this time to start any of those really weird threads you never got to make with old friends and make them now! Just remember to come say hello in the chatbox below or in the discord. Links have been provided in the "Comings and Goings" forum as well as the welcome widget above.

Changes for Hogwarts this year

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Changes for Hogwarts this year Empty Changes for Hogwarts this year

Post by Jess Potter Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:34 am

Heya staff.

So we're starting to plan Hogwarts out, how exciting is that!

Anyway, this year there's going to be a few changes in the way Hogwarts is run on a staff and student level of things. There's going to be a much larger amount of encouragement for house rivalry, there'll be more for the little factions to do, and there's going to be a forced pro-Grindelwald curriculum, as the man himself will be coming into the occasional lesson or topic, just to see how it's going.

But that's not too important, really.

We've just got a few things that we are going to start requiring of the teachers in order to help make it more fun for both you and the students, they're small things, and they're things that you wont have to go out of your way to do, it's just common sense sort of things.

For starters, you need to be actively running your classes, failure to do so will result in a termination of your job here. I'm not trying to be bossy or anything, but this is a job, and we have the student body to think about, not just you. In any case we will try and sort out any issues with you before we take that step, as I've said before I don't like sacking anyone, in fact I don't think I've ever done it for any reason other than inactivity...

Again, besides the point.

From the staff, we'd like to see a lot more interaction with students this year. In the past the majority of interaction has been confined to the classroom, or in classes. What we'd like to see is teachers walking through a great hall topic, helping out in a studying topic, and maybe even letting their hair down in a relaxation topic. While I get that it might not be in your character's nature to be sociable, there are things which humans do, which are indirectly sociable. Like eating, and walking from place to place. Unless your character spends 24/7 in their classroom (in which case you have some serious character problems) you should at least make cameo appearances.

The attendance report system will once again need to come into effect. As it was only enacted at the end of the year, its full effects didn't really come into effect, and as we're already restricting the access to life outside of Hogwarts my side of things will have to change a bit, but the system will remain the same for you guys. I'll probably ask that the Headmaster hangs them by their ears or something if they fail to turn up to three classes, or I'll revoke Hogsmeade trip privileges. My problem, not yours. Still, if you've got any questions about the attendance system, feel free to ask, and I'll leave last year's ones up until the days before term begins.

House points will need to start playing a more primary role. Try not just giving them out, but talk about them all the time, mention how Hufflepuff can go no lower, how your house needs to puck up a bit, and how Slytherin is destined to win this year. They're such a great motivator, you should be utilising it to make your classes as entertaining as possible.

Anyway, House points and Attendance reports are two sides of the job that are required. I expect to have house points reported in the great hall topic at the end of every class, and I want attendance reports given in here at the end of every class. This is one of the more important ones, so make sure you do it, as I wont have too much patience for anyone who doesn't report these things, and it is as big a part of the job as the teaching itself.

If anyone has anything to add, or anyone wants to argue their point, or just discuss, feel free to, I'd love it if you did Smile At least let me know you read it please.

And good luck, thanks for taking up the job, and I hope that you have a cracker of a time!

Jess.
Jess Potter
Jess Potter
Gryffindor Graduate
Gryffindor Graduate

Number of posts : 14221
Special Abilities : Wandless Magic, Seer, Flying, Legilimens

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1356010139

Back to top Go down

Changes for Hogwarts this year Empty Re: Changes for Hogwarts this year

Post by Amelia Lyons Tue Aug 09, 2011 1:53 pm

I have read and understand these guidelines.
Amelia Lyons
Amelia Lyons
Ravenclaw Graduate
Ravenclaw Graduate

Number of posts : 1645
Special Abilities : Occlumens, Apparation

Back to top Go down

Post by Zerekiah Misericordia Wed Aug 10, 2011 4:37 am

Greetings Jess,

I already read and acknowledged your post above but about the House Points I just want to ask if we have a specific system on how to add or deduct house points?

Do we have a specific number of points to add when the professors notice or witness an outstanding effort and achievement with students' work in school and if professors see any piece of work or that shows excellent effort or attainment or a specific number of points to deduct when the students are showing disobedience, acts of unkindness, and violations of the school rules?

Do we have any of these?
Zerekiah Misericordia
Zerekiah Misericordia

Number of posts : 51
Special Abilities : Expert Duelist,Dark Magic & Non-Verbal Magic

Back to top Go down

Post by Jess Potter Wed Aug 10, 2011 5:31 am

Well, to me I think you should just be sensible about it. Think of how they did things in the book and try and stick sort of to that, I mean, don't go giving out 50 points for a correct answer, and don't detract 50 for missing a class, just be... not unreasonable (Never said anything about fair though Razz)

When it comes to reporting the points, if there's 3 figure points changes I might take a look and see what's going on. Just think that when there are less people in a class, be a little more generous, and when there's heaps, a little more stingy. That's my way of looking at it (But don't stress about it too much, I trust you all [[Otherwise you wouldn't be teachers]])

Ooh I'm excited now, I love it when term goes back.
Jess Potter
Jess Potter
Gryffindor Graduate
Gryffindor Graduate

Back to top Go down

Post by Zerekiah Misericordia Thu Aug 11, 2011 5:06 am

Got it Jess!

Thank you!
Zerekiah Misericordia
Zerekiah Misericordia

Number of posts : 51
Special Abilities : Expert Duelist,Dark Magic & Non-Verbal Magic

Back to top Go down

Post by James William Wilson Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:42 pm

Read it, understood it... just hope I get some activity Very Happy
James William Wilson
James William Wilson

Number of posts : 1085

Back to top Go down

Post by Amelia Lyons Thu Aug 11, 2011 4:57 pm

Random thought:

Would it be possible for us as a staff or the admins as a group to come up with the names of the professors that teach the other classes? (Arithmancy, ancient runes, etc). That way, we could all use them as NPC's if we wanted to, while maintaining consistency with the names of who teaches what. Just a name and a very brief description of their character would probably be all that was necessary for us to all be on more or less the same page.
Amelia Lyons
Amelia Lyons
Ravenclaw Graduate
Ravenclaw Graduate

Number of posts : 1645
Special Abilities : Occlumens, Apparation

Back to top Go down

Post by Edgar Albert Doyle Thu Aug 11, 2011 8:48 pm

I support this idea Smile
Edgar Albert Doyle
Edgar Albert Doyle

Number of posts : 190
Special Abilities : Apparation, Occlumency, Legilimency, Wandless Magic, Non-verbal Magic
Occupation : Owner of Slugs & Jiggers; Potions Master at Hogwarts

Back to top Go down

Post by Jess Potter Thu Aug 11, 2011 10:39 pm

:O
That's crazy
You're a psychic.

This year we plan on having the empty NPC arithmancy, divination, runes (etc.) classes.

You certainly can. See how canon you can keep it, so that people recognise them.

But yeah, discuss it here, then post a list topic in this forum Smile

And James. I reckon the best way for you to get more activity is just to get more hands on, be wacky and empathetic, perhaps. I dunno Razz
Jess Potter
Jess Potter
Gryffindor Graduate
Gryffindor Graduate

Back to top Go down

Post by James William Wilson Fri Aug 12, 2011 1:00 pm

Get Binns to teach HoM!!! :O
James William Wilson