Changes to Hogwarts Classes!
Welcome to Potter’s Army

Welcome to Potter's Army

We have been a Harry Potter Roleplaying site since 2007. If you're an old member we hope you come check out the discord link provided below. And if you're looking for a new roleplaying site, well, we're a little inactive. But every once and a while nostalgia sets in and a few of our alumni members will revisit the old stomping grounds and post together. Remember to stay safe out there. And please feel free to drop a line whenever!

Changes to Hogwarts Classes! Li9olo10

What’s Happening?
Since every few months or so a few of our old members get the inspiration to revisit their old stomping grounds we have decided to keep PA open as a place to revisit old threads and start new ones devoid of any serious overarching plot or setting. Take this time to start any of those really weird threads you never got to make with old friends and make them now! Just remember to come say hello in the chatbox below or in the discord. Links have been provided in the "Comings and Goings" forum as well as the welcome widget above.

Changes to Hogwarts Classes!

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Changes to Hogwarts Classes! Empty Changes to Hogwarts Classes!

Post by Khaat Lupin Sun Apr 03, 2011 9:32 pm

Hey all,

I am sending this to ALL students on PA, but I am posting it here too so that NO ONE misses it!. We are reshaping the Hogwarts classes a bit, and in doing so, we are hoping for more participation.

First, ALL students MUST take at least 2 classes each and every term, or its equivalent.

Basic students--you MUST take 2 classes every term.

Newts--You must take EITHER 2 classes, OR one class and an apprenticeship. An apprenticeship is mentoring you have the option of doing with a graduate character where your newt character can learn a usable "job skill" for preparation for graduation.

In order to do that, you must find a graduate character, not one of your own grads, and arrange to RP with that grad character doing threads in which the graduate mentor teaches your student how to do the job you are being mentored for. The threads will be monitored so that we know you have actually done the activity in order to qualify for earning a grade in your internship just as if you had been at a class. You need to show that your mentor is teaching your student character something and that your character is learning, then as you learn more and more valuable skills, you can begin to show these in classes, thus individualising your learning experience a little more.

So, then, if you decide to do this, you find a mentor and then you get approval from your head of house. And yes, there will be heads of house for all 4 houses, shortly a forum will be set up in the great hall for characters to make their applications to their HoH, these will be done IC, and if there are any issues an admin will be consulted for approval.

Questions? Post them here, and an admin will be happy to answer.

The Admin Team

Last edited by Jess Potter on Sun Apr 03, 2011 9:50 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Touch up)
Khaat Lupin
Khaat Lupin
Gryffindor Graduate
Gryffindor Graduate

Number of posts : 22653
Special Abilities : Energy Worker, Medium, Heightened Sensitivity

Back to top Go down

Changes to Hogwarts Classes! Empty Re: Changes to Hogwarts Classes!

Post by Caelani Bittel Sun Apr 03, 2011 9:53 pm

Question: Are all the teachers of classes currently active? Not active as in posting on the site regularly, active as in posting in classes actively?

One of the reasons my student characters haven't replied to class threads is because none of the teacher characters appear to have posted since November/December/January.

Second, what is the current policy with regard to a) people whose professor characters aren't active and b) people applying for professor positions?

I've been waiting for some sort of reply regarding one of my characters becoming a professor because someone told me that the position would be becoming vacant soon. I don't mind if the reply is that all the positions are filled, but it would be nice to get an answer.

Thirdly, I really think there needs to be some sort of cap on how many leadership positions one MEMBER's characters can hold. We have a huge discrepancy between people who have several characters holding pivotal positions and people who don't even have one character in an important role.
Caelani Bittel
Caelani Bittel
Slytherin Graduate
Slytherin Graduate

Number of posts : 469
Special Abilities : unforgivables

Back to top Go down

Post by Jess Potter Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:54 am

Short story, no.

But you need to hear the long story for an explanation to that, or else the wrong conclusion can be easily drawn.

So, to begin the long story.

My first point ties in with an issue you raised later in your reply, in that we have a very bad spread of teachers, particularly when one person has control of the majority of available classes, and is inactive in classes. However before now we have raised the issue with that person, and they argue that in order to keep their classes active, they need students to reply as well, which is a fair call. On the larger part every class has an active teacher, they just don't have students who will give the teachers something to reply to.

And yes, a teacher should be able to reply to even on student, but that's not acceptable in our books when the majority of students simply aren't attending their classes, it takes a bit of give and take for this to work out, and while the teachers certainly are not perfect in this regard, they all hold a good argument in reply, despite them not having posted in their since dec/jan/feb, you'll notice in those cases most of the time the students also haven't replied since dec/jan/feb.

Your second question
a) They get a warning to make their class active, if they don't heed the warning they're sacked.
b) If you apply, and there's an opening, we'll accept you.

As for your application, I'm sorry that it was left unchecked, someone probably forgot to check there, and it simply went unnoticed, I can assure you that it wasn't intentional, I'll go check it out now.

And for the third question, it is a little unrelated, but I can see how it ties into the topic.
I have a feeling that this may be in regards to the person I spoke of in the first question. Well, it's sort of a case by case sort of thing. Normally someone will obtain a number of ranks and titles through admin-related tinkering, then we realise how much power that person has, and immediately freeze any rank gaining and work our best to limit any power they have, or might be coming into. We don't, however, take away their ranks, because normally they did deserve it, and it was our stuff up, not their's that we let them reach that point, so while we encourage them to step down from a place or two, we try not to force them out of their positions.
Jess Potter
Jess Potter
Gryffindor Graduate
Gryffindor Graduate

Number of posts : 14221
Special Abilities : Wandless Magic, Seer, Flying, Legilimens

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1356010139

Back to top Go down

Post by Nikki Lestrange Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:20 am

Since I do not have time to attend "fake" classes (no offense, but I am year 11 now, and have to concentrate on them since they actually count for something), just make me a drop-out, please. I've decided to come back, at least once a week.
Nikki Lestrange
Nikki Lestrange

Number of posts : 6103
Special Abilities : Legilimency, Apparation

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top