Sectumsempra
Welcome to Potter’s Army

Welcome to Potter's Army

We have been a Harry Potter Roleplaying site since 2007. If you're an old member we hope you come check out the discord link provided below. And if you're looking for a new roleplaying site, well, we're a little inactive. But every once and a while nostalgia sets in and a few of our alumni members will revisit the old stomping grounds and post together. Remember to stay safe out there. And please feel free to drop a line whenever!

Sectumsempra Li9olo10

What’s Happening?
Since every few months or so a few of our old members get the inspiration to revisit their old stomping grounds we have decided to keep PA open as a place to revisit old threads and start new ones devoid of any serious overarching plot or setting. Take this time to start any of those really weird threads you never got to make with old friends and make them now! Just remember to come say hello in the chatbox below or in the discord. Links have been provided in the "Comings and Goings" forum as well as the welcome widget above.

Sectumsempra

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Sectumsempra Empty Sectumsempra

Post by Jess Potter Mon Jul 12, 2010 7:53 am

There's something on this site that bothers me, just a bit.

Does anyone remember reading the Half Blood prince? When Harry sees Malfoy on The Marauders Map, and follows him into the bathroom, before having a short duel and hitting him with Sectumsempra? Remember the damage it inflicted? Remember how there was "Blood everywhere" and how snape had to use creams, and spells to heal him?

Next bit.

Remember in the Deathly Hallows how one of the Weasley Twins had his ear cut off by Secumsempra? How george was prett out of it, and how they said that because it was dark, dark magic his ear could never be reattached?

See, to me that indicates the Sectumsempra is a dark, powerful spell. So when i see people bit hit by it and simply shrug it off, keep fighting, or just ignore it "Be a man" it sorta ticks me off. At Grimmauld Place i saw someone get hit by Sectumsempra, and heal with Episkey... EPISKEY, for christ's sake...

It's similar to the idiots who would throw around fiendfyre as if it were incendio, it's just not right. If you don't know the full extent of a spell, don't use it. If you see someone else use it and think "There's a break from the norm. I'll use that" Research it, it's quite simple.

And finally, Stupefy. It's a stunner. If you get hit by it, unless you're a Giant, you're stunned, and cannot move, so don't get hit by it if you don't understand...

Basically i'm having a rant about the unrealistic duelling i've seen all this week...
Jess Potter
Jess Potter
Gryffindor Graduate
Gryffindor Graduate

Number of posts : 14221
Special Abilities : Wandless Magic, Seer, Flying, Legilimens

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1356010139

Back to top Go down

Sectumsempra Empty Re: Sectumsempra

Post by Vincent Majere Mon Jul 12, 2010 9:25 am

It happens. Due to three things:

The members don't know what the spells do.
They saw the movies and didn't read the books and they think the spell does what it does in the movies (Ever seen Stupefy in the movies Rolling Eyes)
They are just unrealistic.

Besides, no one should even KNOW this spell in the first place. Its a secret spell.
Vincent Majere
Vincent Majere

Number of posts : 836

Back to top Go down

Post by Jess Potter Mon Jul 12, 2010 9:40 am

Precisely, yes, i've used the spell before, i'm guilty of that much, but i just got hit by it, and i think i've lost an eye because of it... Episkey... i mean, come on. Ah well, i'm banning the order from using it... oh wait, we're being disbanded WOE IS ME Razz

But seriously, i'm gonna be stricter on some of these spells..
Jess Potter
Jess Potter
Gryffindor Graduate
Gryffindor Graduate

Back to top Go down

Post by Vincent Majere Mon Jul 12, 2010 9:43 am

The Spell Compendium should help.

Once its finished >.>
Vincent Majere
Vincent Majere

Back to top Go down

Post by Elizabeth Krum Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:05 am

I think there should be a spell list on here for members who don't know much about spells.
Elizabeth Krum
Elizabeth Krum
Gryffindor Graduate
Gryffindor Graduate

Number of posts : 4133

http://thetwistintime.jcink.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Jess Potter Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:13 am

That's the spell compendium, and we're working on it, just taking a fair bit of time.
Jess Potter
Jess Potter
Gryffindor Graduate
Gryffindor Graduate

Back to top Go down

Post by Elizabeth Krum Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:19 am

Lol... it doesn't take a lot of time for me because it was easy. I just copy and pasted from http://www.veritaserum.com which I can because they aren't a role play site. And posting made it great which I edit for only an hour.
Elizabeth Krum
Elizabeth Krum
Gryffindor Graduate
Gryffindor Graduate

Number of posts : 4133

http://thetwistintime.jcink.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Vincent Majere Mon Jul 12, 2010 12:29 pm

Well we could also copy paste, but the thing is - in our spell compendium we have made up spells, and we also sort the canon spells and describe them better (outline their boundaries better and etc.)
Vincent Majere
Vincent Majere

Back to top Go down

Post by Catalina Jameson Mon Jul 12, 2010 3:58 pm

Well, considering the fact that Sectumsempra is a dark spell, I figured that if your character is not very dark or powerful, the spell wouldn't be? I considered it similar to the Killing Curse and Cruciatus Curse. Maybe I was wrong in doing that, but I just thought that if a weaker person was casting a spell, it wouldn't leave quite the damage that a stronger person would be able to cause with it. Smile
Catalina Jameson
Catalina Jameson

Number of posts : 35
Special Abilities : Legilimency

Back to top Go down

Post by Andrew Thompson Mon Jul 12, 2010 4:05 pm

Well I agree with ya Jess on how it's pretty ridiculous since back in the battle of grimmauld place, the only spell I had pretty much seen was Sectumsempra and Avada Kerdavra. Can't there be a limit on how many spells of the same type that you can use though? Like using sectumsempra once and then use Stupefy or something the rest of the time?
Andrew Thompson
Andrew Thompson
Gryffindor Graduate
Gryffindor Graduate

Number of posts : 3818
Special Abilities : Invisibility

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top