Jackles Thinks Thoughts : Roleplay Manifesto Part I
Welcome to Potter’s Army

Welcome to Potter's Army

We have been a Harry Potter Roleplaying site since 2007. If you're an old member we hope you come check out the discord link provided below. And if you're looking for a new roleplaying site, well, we're a little inactive. But every once and a while nostalgia sets in and a few of our alumni members will revisit the old stomping grounds and post together. Remember to stay safe out there. And please feel free to drop a line whenever!

Jackles Thinks Thoughts : Roleplay Manifesto Part I Li9olo10

What’s Happening?
Since every few months or so a few of our old members get the inspiration to revisit their old stomping grounds we have decided to keep PA open as a place to revisit old threads and start new ones devoid of any serious overarching plot or setting. Take this time to start any of those really weird threads you never got to make with old friends and make them now! Just remember to come say hello in the chatbox below or in the discord. Links have been provided in the "Comings and Goings" forum as well as the welcome widget above.

Jackles Thinks Thoughts : Roleplay Manifesto Part I

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Jackles Thinks Thoughts : Roleplay Manifesto Part I Empty Jackles Thinks Thoughts : Roleplay Manifesto Part I

Post by Jack Dyllan Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:39 pm

RP Advice: Know (at least know of) everyone & have an opinion

Hi everyone! We used to do RP Advice threads and I’ve been chatting with Alyssa a lot about my own writing philosophy so I thought I’d put it all into words.

So something we learn in improv (which is one of the closest experiences to roleplaying in my experience) is to never start a scene with people who don’t know each other. It’s not interesting for audiences to watch strangers struggle to find common ground. The rule of thumb is at least a two week acquaintance.

OBVIOUSLY this isn’t always doable. And it’s not always true. A great exception is first years meeting on the train! Not only is it incredibly appropriate for the threads to be introductory, but it’s interesting to see kids with a lot to prove and tons of nerves interact.

The point is, context adds flavor. And that context is: point of view. Having an opinion. It doesn’t even need to be a juicy opinion. But having your character regard another with suspicion, or admiration, or resentment - that’s going to add a dynamic to your thread beyond getting to know them.

And it’s okay if that CHANGES! How fun is it to have a character start a thread thinking a character is amazing, to realizing they sort of hate them? Or to start a thread with a character they deeply resent to finding they were wrong about the misconception they had and that they really like the character.

I know for a lot of people, it feels easier to just start from nothing because you as the player don’t know the character - but your characters knows a lot you don’t, and vis versa! Reading an app (especially for FACTS vs. RUMORS) gives you a great starting point. You don’t even need a lot. A name and perspective (heard rumor that he is a bully, doubts it but wary OR knows her father is a bigwig in the Ministry, thinks that’s cool) can go a long way to take “Hello how was your summer” threads to the next level.

Personally, I may even start adding a “WHAT YOU KNOW” Spoiler to my character sigs, letting you know what your characters likely know of my characters! Idk I think it might be a good way to get that info out.

Anyway, that’s something I’ve been thinking about and really believe in. Again, there are exceptions. I just wrote a thread between teachers that was an intro thread, but I tried to add as much perspective as I could. So I’d love to hear your thoughts. I’ll personally be challenging myself to read more apps (at least the rumors and facts) and use those to flavor my character’s perspective.

THANKS FOR INDULGING ME. =D

Sixth Year Gryffindor

Number of posts : 280

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top