Site Revamp! - Page 2
Welcome to Potter’s Army

Welcome to Potter's Army

We have been a Harry Potter Roleplaying site since 2007. If you're an old member we hope you come check out the discord link provided below. And if you're looking for a new roleplaying site, well, we're a little inactive. But every once and a while nostalgia sets in and a few of our alumni members will revisit the old stomping grounds and post together. Remember to stay safe out there. And please feel free to drop a line whenever!

Site Revamp! - Page 2 Li9olo10

What’s Happening?
Since every few months or so a few of our old members get the inspiration to revisit their old stomping grounds we have decided to keep PA open as a place to revisit old threads and start new ones devoid of any serious overarching plot or setting. Take this time to start any of those really weird threads you never got to make with old friends and make them now! Just remember to come say hello in the chatbox below or in the discord. Links have been provided in the "Comings and Goings" forum as well as the welcome widget above.

Site Revamp!

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Site Revamp! - Page 2 Empty Re: Site Revamp!

Post by Jack Dyllan Sun Jun 30, 2019 6:08 pm

I tend to agree. Having a bunch of overpowerful students makes it less likely for them to have goals to aspire to, as well as less likely to be fallible. The point of playing a teenager, at least for me, is so they can get in trouble and struggle and make mistakes.

Sixth Year Gryffindor

Number of posts : 280

Back to top Go down

Post by Christabelle Whittle Sun Jun 30, 2019 6:15 pm

And that is the best part of being a teen is being able to screw up and learn from that.
Christabelle Whittle
Christabelle Whittle
Seventh Year Ravenclaw
Seventh Year Ravenclaw

Number of posts : 4350
Special Abilities : Seer, Legilimens

Back to top Go down

Post by Juliet Thruston Tue Jul 02, 2019 7:28 pm

Should people have to apply for magical abilities? Yes, but it should be a streamlined process. If we stick to canon abilities, have a limit on "rare" abilities and have it make sense IC. I think with more advanced/rare abilities that could significantly impact character power or relationships with other characters (so like legilimency, wandless magic etc.) there should be clear guidelines and limits on how many characters one player can have with those abilities. It can be flexible and on a case-by-case basis too, but there should be clear communication and IC continuity.
Should we keep character roles simple or expand them further? Expand as needed, I suppose? The only concern is, again, roles being hogged, so maybe limits to how many significant roles someone can have (e.g. only one Hogwarts professor per player, two student roles per character etc.)
How do you think we should handle magical items? Unpopular opinion but I'm not a fan of non-canon magical items at all. I think sticking to the lore and keeping it simple works best and prevents complications.
Ways to prevent people from overpowering their characters. Just being sensible about it, I guess? Limits on magical abilities/ important roles per character. Ensuring no one character or player has a monopoly over one whole plot/institution. Clear communication about aims and weaknesses in the case of big players, to ensure no-one remains completely infallible or at least that there's some IC logic/purpose to it. I think the main concern is when overpowered characters severely limit other character's choices/plots in some way that isn't realistic and serves no end goal apart from keeping the character powerful and untouchable indefinitely.
Juliet Thruston
Juliet Thruston
Seventh Year Slytherin
Seventh Year Slytherin

Number of posts : 32

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top