A Modern Murder Mystery
Welcome to Potter’s Army

Welcome to Potter's Army

We have been a Harry Potter Roleplaying site since 2007. If you're an old member we hope you come check out the discord link provided below. And if you're looking for a new roleplaying site, well, we're a little inactive. But every once and a while nostalgia sets in and a few of our alumni members will revisit the old stomping grounds and post together. Remember to stay safe out there. And please feel free to drop a line whenever!

A Modern Murder Mystery  Li9olo10

What’s Happening?
Since every few months or so a few of our old members get the inspiration to revisit their old stomping grounds we have decided to keep PA open as a place to revisit old threads and start new ones devoid of any serious overarching plot or setting. Take this time to start any of those really weird threads you never got to make with old friends and make them now! Just remember to come say hello in the chatbox below or in the discord. Links have been provided in the "Comings and Goings" forum as well as the welcome widget above.

A Modern Murder Mystery

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

A Modern Murder Mystery  Empty A Modern Murder Mystery

Post by Sloane Ahmadi-Berkowitz Sun Dec 18, 2016 6:37 pm

Hey guys! So I have a plot that I'd love people to get involved with.

This is Sloane. She's an American on her way to London because her older brother has died. He supposedly died in some freak accident and her name was listed as executor of his will.

Here's the thing though. His will is very, very strange. He's left a sizable donation to the Ministry of Magic but only once she ensures that each of his wishes are seen through. These wishes are very strange requests indeed - a knut hand delivered to a specified person, all of his kitchen implements donated to a specified restaraunt, and his pet goldfish all gifted to certain people.

There's something weird about all of it. And Sloane can't help but feel there's more to it.

SO THE IDEA IS that Sloane's brother was murdered. I believe Alyssa (@Maddie McKillon) has claimed the position of murderer so far, with the general idea being that Skyler began to work for her character (To be created) Phillip and then became a liability.

BUT. I'd love to create more of a cohesive web so that we can pull people in. Not only do I need people who are somehow involved in the death, whether or not they knew it, but I also need people to help Sloane, the lawyer who contacts her about the will (@Adrienne Reynolds offered Mai?), people trying to stop Sloane, and then other little things like a roommate to take her in when she realizes how long this process is going to be.

Also, I left so much of this vague because I'd love to have other people help create this with me. I don't ever want this to become super politicized or public knowledge, just a bunch of civilians operating on their own accord, with maybe the Ministry or other factions getting involved for the sake of the coverup or whatever. But let's throw out some ideas! Even if you just want to somehow get involved, please post! I've been dying for a mystery and I think this could be a great plot for those characters out there that are in need of some sense of purpose.

So......... GO!
Sloane Ahmadi-Berkowitz
Sloane Ahmadi-Berkowitz
Graduate
Graduate

Number of posts : 47

Back to top Go down

A Modern Murder Mystery  Empty Re: A Modern Murder Mystery

Post by Katherine Avery Sun Dec 18, 2016 9:08 pm

Mai for sure. She's not been up to anything.
Katherine Avery
Katherine Avery
Sixth Year Ravenclaw
Sixth Year Ravenclaw

Number of posts : 190

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Post by Ella Blair Woods Mon Dec 19, 2016 1:54 am

You knowwww I'm up for this. Let's get this web as tangled as possible. Phil is in the works. Sim and Ella are also at your disposal (and the rest, if you think they'd fit).
Ella Blair Woods
Ella Blair Woods
Ravenclaw Graduate
Ravenclaw Graduate

Number of posts : 43

Back to top Go down

Post by Sloane Ahmadi-Berkowitz Mon Dec 19, 2016 2:57 am

@Addie - Awesome! I want to get that post going for sure but I think it might help if we have a bit of a sketched out idea of what happened so I can figure out who's names will be in the will.

@Sel - Jenna as a flatmate sounds good! I think my plan will be that about a week in, Sloane realizes she might be here for awhile so she decides to find someone willing to let her rent a room with them, for the short term. Of course, this continues on.

To figure out which of yours might be there for the killing / hindering part we need...

@Alyssa! Do you think you could briefly describe Phil's deal so we can start constructing what happened and why? That'll help us with the who's.
Sloane Ahmadi-Berkowitz
Sloane Ahmadi-Berkowitz
Graduate
Graduate

Number of posts : 47

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenna McBain Mon Dec 19, 2016 4:37 am

And as far as I think Skyler was involved with Phillip - Skyler was becoming so ambitious that I think he might have begun rising through the ranks of Phillip's business. He would have been okay with a great host of bad things, probably did some dirty work for Phillip, and then something went too far. Hence him becoming a liability and, upon realizing his death was near, setting up his will so as to expose those who killed him.

I'm most tempted by Destrey, since we get the added bonus of Monroe gumming up the works. We'd have to figure out what the link between Destrey and Phillip is so that Skyler would have something to insinuate in the will that could lead Sloane to get on Destrey's path eventually.
Kenna McBain
Kenna McBain
Gryffindor Graduate
Gryffindor Graduate

Number of posts : 119

Back to top Go down

Post by Ella Blair Woods Mon Dec 19, 2016 4:51 am

Oook, how about- since Phil's latest venture is mass potions production, Skyler was working on that- outsourcing suppliers, finding investors, whatever. Plot twist- Phillip is doing something dodgy with unicorn blood to give his products an edge. Skyler somehow finds out the potions aren't what he's been told or is wrongly assumed to be ok with it because he's done shady stuff before. The only thing I'd say is that Phil would definitely have used a fence or something to get the blood off Destrey, because he's finicky about people not tracing stuff back to him. Just to make everyone's lives difficult because we can't have him getting caught so easily XP.

Does that even vaguely work?
Ella Blair Woods
Ella Blair Woods
Ravenclaw Graduate
Ravenclaw Graduate

Number of posts : 43

Back to top Go down

Post by Dom Weasley Mon Dec 19, 2016 5:03 am

Oooh I like that! Having some sort of middleman between them just means another person could get implicated.

So far, this is what I'm thinking.

The will needs to include something that will give Sloane a little protection. I feel like a lot of what she's going to end up doing will come as threats to people, and I need something to keep them from just offing her the second she shows up. I'd love if one of our Aurors or more noble Order members owed Skyler a favor, and he's calling it in posthumously to make sure his sister isn't murdered on her 'deliveries.'

Perhaps the will has gifted a vial of unicorn tail hairs to Destrey. And then something (unicorn stuff will work if Monroe knows that Destrey deals in unicorn blood) to Monroe as well.
Dom Weasley
Dom Weasley
Gryffindor Graduate
Gryffindor Graduate

Number of posts : 246

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum