Stuck in Second Gear - Page 7
Welcome to Potter’s Army

Welcome to Potter's Army

We have been a Harry Potter Roleplaying site since 2007. If you're an old member we hope you come check out the discord link provided below. And if you're looking for a new roleplaying site, well, we're a little inactive. But every once and a while nostalgia sets in and a few of our alumni members will revisit the old stomping grounds and post together. Remember to stay safe out there. And please feel free to drop a line whenever!

Stuck in Second Gear - Page 7 Li9olo10

What’s Happening?
Since every few months or so a few of our old members get the inspiration to revisit their old stomping grounds we have decided to keep PA open as a place to revisit old threads and start new ones devoid of any serious overarching plot or setting. Take this time to start any of those really weird threads you never got to make with old friends and make them now! Just remember to come say hello in the chatbox below or in the discord. Links have been provided in the "Comings and Goings" forum as well as the welcome widget above.

Stuck in Second Gear

Page 7 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Stuck in Second Gear - Page 7 Empty Re: Stuck in Second Gear

Post by Everly Bardugo Fri Jul 24, 2015 6:29 am

Adrienne's lips parted but all she could muster in response to his question was a shrug. Perhaps going on like that hadn't been helpful. But it had felt rather good to get out her frustrations once the opportunity had made itself known.

When he went on, she actually tilted her head a bit, a bright smile taking over as she fought the urge to laugh. Was he being serious? It wasn't until he leaned in that she sobered a bit, her bemused expression changing into a more curious one. She probably should have been blushing, really, considering how bluntly he had put his aims and goals for the future. But she knew all that, in a way. Not the reason, but the ends Selwyn wanted. The ends justifying the means, in this case, actually made a great deal of sense. He truly needed someone who could fall his shoes down the road.

Instead of letting herself focus directly on the possibility that he wanted her to step up and help him reach those goals, she decided to fire a question at him. So, leaning forward a bit to mirror him, she asked, "and what is it, exactly, that you think I'll end up leading? It isn't as though I would fit in with the Order, is it? From what I can tell, they need a commander, not just a leader. And I'm neither of those things.

"Besides," she added, rolling her eyes, "I've only ever met two people, besides you, who I know for sure are in the Order. And, while I don't like saying it about anyone, I sort of hated them. They ruined things for me when I tried to be helpful, so I don't know that I'd want to get involved there."

Fixing him with a bemused smile in an attempt to steer the conversation back towards the topic he had intended, she added, "I mean, that probably wasn't what you meant or had in mind, though, is it?"
Everly Bardugo
Everly Bardugo
Gryffindor Graduate
Gryffindor Graduate

Number of posts : 2817

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Post by Everly Bardugo Tue Jul 28, 2015 4:09 am

Her cheeks colored, but at his comment, they reddened all the more furiously, and she looked away. She wished she could say she felt apologetic or embarrassed fully about it. But she was still so worked up from her little ramblings - which, it seemed, had not been what he was really after - that she was more irritated that she was being obvious about it. In all fairness, she should have known better, given that he had said it before. But somehow, her attempts at tempering her statements or appearing humble somehow had made him think she was making a point or fishing for something.

Isn't that what those comments usually were for, when it came to those who were inescapably self-depricating and self-conscious? Adrienne wasn't sure. But it often seemed that way. While she wanted to believe she had never been one of those people, she doubted it was true.

Instead of responding to that comment, she replied with, "I did spend several months learning from a Slytherin before starting to teach. You can blame him."

It surprised even Adrienne herself when she just nodded in understanding instead of getting embarrassed or feeling affronted. "I know you wouldn't. But I just need you to understand that my parents aren't really involved. And I can't exactly go and tell them what's happening, since we told them we wanted this. Kaiden and I, that is. So I was trying to get to the point where I was okay with doing things on my own. But I'm more of a realist, or a cynic depending on who you ask, so I have few illusions that this will all go over well.

"That's also why I pointed out that I couldn't lead anyone. I'm not foolish enough to believe otherwise. I might like to teach again, but that doesn't have the same feeling to it."
Everly Bardugo
Everly Bardugo
Gryffindor Graduate
Gryffindor Graduate

Back to top Go down

Post by Everly Bardugo Wed Jul 29, 2015 5:31 pm

"That's true," she conceded with a sigh. Now that the paperwork had been turned in, it was just a matter of time before someone showed up to have a 'talk' with her, or before they started receiving Howlers or something even more unpleasant. It was really good of him, she thought yet again, to let her stay when all manner of madness could occur any time.

His fingers reached for her chin, and Adrienne found herself looking up just enough to meet his gaze as he wanted. The inner corners of her eyebrows flashed downwards for just a moment before they returned to their normal, neutral location.

"I know that," she replied, her voice at more of a murmur than it was before. "I forget, sometimes, that I'm not responsible for everything, as I used to be."
Everly Bardugo
Everly Bardugo
Gryffindor Graduate
Gryffindor Graduate

Back to top Go down

Post by Everly Bardugo Thu Jul 30, 2015 1:42 pm

Adrienne knew what anyone who had known her from school would have expected her to do. They would have been completely unsurprised if she had told them they were ridiculous, before going up to bed and pretending such a question had never once met her ear. Now, however, it was surprise on her features instead of disdain. And, admittedly, curiosity lingered there as well.

"Um," she faltered, sitting back a little in her spot on the couch. "I- well, I can certainly understand the appeal of getting drunk, especially with everything that has been going on lately."

A mix of something like a scoff and a laugh escaped before she continued with, "so, I mean.. Sure," and she shrugged. This time, it actually did feel nonchalant and open, and she didn't even feel that moment of lingering uncertainty that she expected to.
Everly Bardugo
Everly Bardugo
Gryffindor Graduate
Gryffindor Graduate

Back to top Go down

Post by Everly Bardugo Tue Aug 04, 2015 11:00 pm

For someone who thought she was observant, Adrienne didn't actually pay much attention to Selwyn's actions when it came to his drink. After the night he had been through, she wouldn't have blamed him for choosing to become utterly trashed. So she instead looked down at her glass before taking a drink from it after returning his gesture.

His question surprised her, though, and she turned her head suddenly to look at him. Her lips were parted as she tried to decide how to reply. Or, rather, which to pick. She had never known if it was cowardly to pick truth, or just as cowardly to pick dare. Neither side had zero consequences, after all.

She narrowed her eyes at him slightly, even as a smile quirked the corners of her lips upwards. "Truth," she declared finally, lifting an eyebrow and lifting her glass to her lips again to peer at him over the rim of it.
Everly Bardugo
Everly Bardugo
Gryffindor Graduate
Gryffindor Graduate

Back to top Go down

Page 7 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top