[OPEN] Starting with the Windows
Welcome to Potter’s Army

Welcome to Potter's Army

We have been a Harry Potter Roleplaying site since 2007. If you're an old member we hope you come check out the discord link provided below. And if you're looking for a new roleplaying site, well, we're a little inactive. But every once and a while nostalgia sets in and a few of our alumni members will revisit the old stomping grounds and post together. Remember to stay safe out there. And please feel free to drop a line whenever!

[OPEN] Starting with the Windows Li9olo10

What’s Happening?
Since every few months or so a few of our old members get the inspiration to revisit their old stomping grounds we have decided to keep PA open as a place to revisit old threads and start new ones devoid of any serious overarching plot or setting. Take this time to start any of those really weird threads you never got to make with old friends and make them now! Just remember to come say hello in the chatbox below or in the discord. Links have been provided in the "Comings and Goings" forum as well as the welcome widget above.

[OPEN] Starting with the Windows

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

[OPEN] Starting with the Windows Empty [OPEN] Starting with the Windows

Post by Peter Howard Sun Mar 29, 2015 6:50 pm

Like so many things in Peter Howard’s life, taking over the Hog’s Head had been something he’d fallen into rather by accident as opposed to choice. It had come cheap, in truth, and it’d been on a whim that he’d bought the place, typically having known better than to plunge his money into something that didn’t have a lot of a chance of working. Peter didn’t have enough money to be that frivolous. Finley was optimistic, though, and the boy had good instincts which made Peter feel a lot better about signing himself off to owning a pub whose reputation could hardly be called winning and favourable. Still, Peter hoped to reform it.

A van was pulling into the courtyard at the back of the pub to drop off barrels which would go on tap as well as cases of wine, spirits and all the rest. Obviously Firewhisky, too. He didn’t think he’d get any trade at all if he didn’t have Ogden’s on his bar. It was that he was watching go in as he stood in the street, barefoot, with his hands loose in the sweatpants riding low on his hips. A holey t-shirt kept the chill off of his shoulders. Scratching his hand across the fluff on his cheek, Peter waited for the van to stop before gesturing for the layabout Hogwarts students he’d hired for the afternoon to start unloading.

It was a beautiful spring day, really, and the sunshine almost felt summer-like. He wasn’t fooled, though, and when his son had asked to go out to play, Peter had made sure the boy had his coat on. Speaking of, he was down the road, eagerly making friends with local lads and it gave Peter a certain amount of peace of mind. He wasn’t going to miss his old home in Essex and, already, a lass from the local school had come round to talk to Finley about joining in the coming weeks. It settled at least some of Peter’s nerves. Not quite all of them, mind, but it was a start.

“Mr Howard!” One of the students called. “Where d’you want this case of wine?”

Peter chuckled quietly to himself and shook his head before moving off of the pavement to go and help the boys. Soon enough, with a bit of work, they got everything into the bar and once they were paid they cleared off, leaving Peter to start work outside. He filled up a bucket of soapy water and began with the windows. He just prayed this was going to come off because otherwise it was going to be a very expensive failure, especially given how much work he’d have to put into it.
Peter Howard
Peter Howard
Hufflepuff Graduate
Hufflepuff Graduate

Number of posts : 336

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

[OPEN] Starting with the Windows Empty Re: [OPEN] Starting with the Windows

Post by Peter Howard Sun Apr 12, 2015 10:33 pm

The former Hufflepuff had expected, rather naively perhaps, to meld silently into the fabric of Hogsmeade. Having teachers at his doors and students hauling his barrels hardly counted but he didn't expect to be levelled with a question from a stranger straight off the bat.

Dipping his cloth into the foamy water, Peter flicked his eyes over the young woman who had come over to him. He cleared his throat thoughtfully, a little bit of embarrassment colouring his cheeks, and he wiped his cloth across the window, spreading the foam and, to his utter dismay, dragging off at least ten years' worth of preliminary dirt with it.

Curling his lip a little at the cloth, Peter dropped it back into the water with a plop and turned properly to face the girl, offering her a slightly wry smile in greeting.

"Cleaning the windows, love," he replied tartly before chuckling and adding, "I'm just trying to get this place ready for opening. I figured a little bit of light exterior refurbishment would brighten her up a bit. A lick of paint, maybe, and a little bit of fresh board here and there and then I reckon she'll be ready."

Then, despite himself, Peter couldn't help but cheekily querying: "Why d'you want to know? Fancy giving me a hand do you?"
Peter Howard
Peter Howard
Hufflepuff Graduate
Hufflepuff Graduate

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Howard Mon Apr 13, 2015 11:34 am

He knew better but Peter's eyes did follow the path of the woman's hands. He swallowed and looked back at the windows, wondering how long it had been. He knew roughly. Well, no, he knew exactly. It was before Finley had been born - if not the point in which he was made. Then Azkaban happened and ... Merlin, it'd been years. He was pathetic. He could keep it together in front of a little slip of a woman, couldn't he? Yeah, sure.

"Oh thanks," he started in reply but when she got to the end of her sentence he faltered a bit, his eyebrows coming together in a soft frown despite the smile that still tugged at his mouth. "I think she's got a chance," he added in an undertone.

"I work better with my hands," he admitted. "And, um. Well, it makes it feel a bit more like mine. I'd just be another landlord if I threw a few charms around and pronounced her good as new."

"I want to make something for my son to have," Peter endeavoured to explain, "And it needs to be able to stay standing in order for that to happen. But, as long as they don't dislike it, if it goes unnoticed then that's fine by me. Besides, I'm sure a lady like yourself would rather something a bit cleaner than tat and dirt, eh?"

Peter Howard
Peter Howard
Hufflepuff Graduate
Hufflepuff Graduate

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Howard Sun May 03, 2015 11:22 pm

It appeared a woman was flirting with him -- and Peter was, what, flirting back? He had no idea what he was doing in truth. Cleaning the windows: that was what he was supposed to be doing. This witch was definitely barking up the wrong tree ... or was she?

"You got no idea, love," he replied with a steady, growing smirk. So, not really the wrong tree at all.

A familiar feeling stirred within Peter at her last sentence - one that he'd not felt for a long while indeed. Fatherhood had put all kinds of relationships - carnal and meaningful - on hold. He'd not minded but it'd been a long time. He wasn't going to entertain it with this lass, though. She was all kinds of tempting bad news, he could tell.

"Still," he pursued the face level of the discussion, willing his mind to stay out of the gutter. "I want this place presentable. It's played second string to the Three Broomsticks for long enough." Plus, he was in trouble if it didn't get off the ground. "So, if you can offer any tips, love, then I'd welcome them. You seem to know the pub well."
Peter Howard
Peter Howard
Hufflepuff Graduate
Hufflepuff Graduate

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Howard Sat Jun 13, 2015 10:21 pm

“I could do that,” the words lifted suggestively into the air before Peter had the chance to stop them. They were accompanied by a wry sort of smile that reached up and communicated the innuendo through his eyes.

“Maybe we should find a time to redress these issues,” he raised a cheeky brow at her and smiled before glancing at the building, considering it thoughtfully. Research. Well, he’d done plenty at the bar. He didn’t think he’d done any there that really counted, mind you.

He felt her fingers close around his face and his cocky little smirk disappeared somewhat. He swallowed, his throat suddenly going dry.

“I suppose there’s still time to do some,” he murmured. “Or do you think I’m a lost cause?”

(OOC: I'm glad to finally get back to this thread now exams are over! Very Happy)
Peter Howard
Peter Howard
Hufflepuff Graduate
Hufflepuff Graduate

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top