Are You Really Feeling Apathy?
Welcome to Potter’s Army

Welcome to Potter's Army

We have been a Harry Potter Roleplaying site since 2007. If you're an old member we hope you come check out the discord link provided below. And if you're looking for a new roleplaying site, well, we're a little inactive. But every once and a while nostalgia sets in and a few of our alumni members will revisit the old stomping grounds and post together. Remember to stay safe out there. And please feel free to drop a line whenever!

Are You Really Feeling Apathy? Li9olo10

What’s Happening?
Since every few months or so a few of our old members get the inspiration to revisit their old stomping grounds we have decided to keep PA open as a place to revisit old threads and start new ones devoid of any serious overarching plot or setting. Take this time to start any of those really weird threads you never got to make with old friends and make them now! Just remember to come say hello in the chatbox below or in the discord. Links have been provided in the "Comings and Goings" forum as well as the welcome widget above.

Are You Really Feeling Apathy?

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Are You Really Feeling Apathy? Empty Are You Really Feeling Apathy?

Post by Zara Halworth Fri Aug 08, 2014 1:05 am

The door slammed behind her as she walked into the little two-story home in which she, her two children, and her husband lived. Really, though, she couldn’t bring herself to feel bad about the noise, considering it was surprisingly early for her to be home. Not yet eight o’clock, she was surprised at the sounds coming from the living room. Setting her bag down next to the wall, Ana moved down the hall to find her son running about and looking for… well, something.

“Anton…” she started, brow furrowing. “What are you doing?”

“Mom!” he cried, skidding to a stop in front of her. His eyes were wide with worry and he tugged on the fabric of his shorts as he spoke. “So you know how dad’s gone for the weekend? Well before he left, he was really rude to Poppy, and now she’s gone.”

“Excuse me?” Ana snapped, inhaling sharply in surprise.

“Yeah!” He proclaimed seriously, nodding once before darting upstairs. His next sentence floated down the stairs as he climbed. “I’ll keep looking!”

Gaping, Ana stared after him, knowing full well that if Anton of all people couldn’t find Poppy, she was not in their house at all. He hadn’t been sorted into Ravenclaw for no reason – the boy picked up on everything, which sometimes made her wonder if he hadn’t figured out the truth about Poppy. With everything going on at the Ministry, she hadn’t even thought about that bit of information in weeks. Regardless, it flew into her mind without hesitation, helping to remind her both of her past and the circumstances that made her daughter who she was, as well as the fact that Gideon had more power than he should. Even worse, he was setting blame on her shoulders and getting away with it. That, of course, explained why she was actually home early for once rather than staying late to avoid Pavel and all of their general family issues.

Both of those added up to one person coming to mind and refusing to leave. He could potentially be a solution for both of the problems she now faced, but Ana hesitated too long, because Anton bounded down the stairs once more.

“Mom, seriously?” He chided when he found her standing exactly where she had been at least a good minute or so before.

“I’m thinking.” She replied quietly, turning on her heel and walking back up to her bag where she had left it by the door. Drawing out a piece of parchment and a quill, Ana pushed the page against the wall and started a letter. Anton came up behind her to read over her shoulder.

Marcus,

Two very terrible things have happened, and I haven’t anyone else to turn to. If I didn’t have to bother you, rest assured I would ask someone else. However, I have no choice and I’m sure that you’ll be furious about at least one of these things. There is much you need to know and very little time to explain it all. As soon as you get this, you need to come to mine so I can tell you what’s happened.

Jotting down both the address and the words he would need for the floo if he chose that route, Ana signed off with just her first name, then rushed to the back door to send it off with the owl she had so often sent his way twelve years ago. Then, the owl had been new and represented her interaction with Marcus so well. Now the idea of him receiving the owl at his window was almost depressing. Watching as it flew off, Ana turned to find Anton watching her.

“You didn’t tell dad..” He noted quietly. Her mouth opened and closed twice, trying to find an explanation but failing. “I’m glad. I think it was his fault.”

Frowning again, Ana walked over, wrapping her arms around him for what must have been the first time in a long time. It took a moment – a moment that tugged at her heart – but Anton’s own arms finally curled around her middle in return.
Zara Halworth
Zara Halworth
Graduate
Graduate

Number of posts : 271

Back to top Go down

Are You Really Feeling Apathy? Empty Re: Are You Really Feeling Apathy?

Post by Marcus Belby Fri Aug 08, 2014 1:31 am

It had been a bit of a tough stretch the last 24 hours. Khaat's seers powers had gone into overtime and had led them to another of James's killings. This one was particularly ugly.

She had been overwhelmed, overcome. He had brought her home, and she had not wanted to talk, not wanted to come out of her room. He had taken her a glass of firewhiskey. It seemed like the humane thing to do in the face of utter brutality.

Concerned, he had stayed with her. She had simply just sat, unmoving, staring into space. She had lots of bad memories where James was concerned. It didn't help that she had known the victims.

Marcus loosened the tie of his dark suit and took a sip of his own glass of firewhiskey, the details of the scene etched deeply and indelibly into his brain, an occupational hazard. He sighed deeply, trying to unwind when he heard a tapping at the window. He looked over and saw an owl with a message. He went over and opened the window and petted it before it flew off again. He closed the window and was about to hand the note automatically to Khaat when he had to do a double take on the envelope.

This wasn't to Khaat. It was to him. He frowned deeply, looked at the handwriting, as if he expected it to be revealing something to him, and then opened the envelope. He read the note, frowing deeper.

Ana? They had barely been on speaking terms for over a decade. What was she on about? He read the letter a couple of times. She was talking in circles, and that wasn't like Ana. Ana was direct, to the point. Candid. This just went round and round.

Two things? What two things? What could have gone wrong that would involve him at all, much less something he'd be unhappy about? Something she needed to update him on and get him up to speed about quickly? What?

Speed. Urgency. He got that much. His assignment now was here. Still, it was Ana. He arranged for a replacement for just a short while, a replacement guard taking over for him so he could leave for a bit. He simply told Khaat quietly he had to go out and he'd be back as soon as possible. She nodded slightly.

He straightened his tie and his suit and ported to the general neighborhood and saw fairly standard family houses. He walked the rest of the way, which wasn't far. Double checking the address, he went to the door and knocked.

What the heck was he getting himself into?
Marcus Belby
Marcus Belby
Ravenclaw Graduate
Ravenclaw Graduate

Number of posts : 182
Special Abilities : Portkey Creation

Back to top Go down

Post by Zara Halworth Fri Aug 08, 2014 2:13 am

The mother and son duo had separated - Ana to do one of the few things she never chose to do: prepare tea.

Usually, it was seen by the Ministry employee as a waste of time, and generally unhelpful in stressful situations. But Anton was pacing again, watching the front and back doors in turn, clearly trying to think out where his sister would have gone off to. He started counting on his fingers and Ana could only hope he had a list of suggestions.

"How long has she been gone?" Ana asked finally, reverting back to the parts of her years as an Auror that had stuck with her.

"Hours..." Anton admitted, looking chided already, though she had yet to say anything. "I went to practice today - y'know, with the guys from school? - and came back to find her missing. Then you came back. ... Well, I assume it was hours. I don't know for sure.."

Ana nodded, brows drawn together and apparently stuck there as she processed everything. Only a few minutes had passed, but already she was considering the other options she had if Marcus didn't show. What right did she have to expect that he would? To even ask that he would? There were so many things she should have said, but just hadn't been able to bring herself to.

When a resounding knock came from the front door, though, both of the residents froze, Anton leaning around the hallway to stare at the door as Ana turned over her shoulder and took a moment to register that he was truly outside. Or, she hoped it was him, anyway. Or, even better, Poppy herself. Not wanting to wonder after which one it was for any longer, she passed by Anton, letting her hand brush across his shoulders in an attempt at comfort.

The door handle turned, Ana stepped back, and the door opened to reveal ... him. Pulling in a breath through her nose, Ana straightened up, only partly pleased with the person standing before her. Poppy would have been the best option, but Marcus immediately equalled her being one step closer to finding her daughter. So she couldn't truly be upset.

Glancing over her shoulder, Ana paused for a breath before gesturing up the stairs and waiting until Anton had nodded and climbed the stairs once more. Pulling out her wand, she case a silencing charm on the stairway, ensuring that she would be allowed to tell Anton the truth when the timing was more appropriate. A sigh of relief left her before she turned to Marcus. "I'm sorry; this probably looks entirely ridiculous. But he's not quite old enough to understand what's happened. Well, that's not true. He is. But he doesn't need to know until we figure out what to do. He's already worried enough."

Opening the door further, she stepped away to allow him to follow her inside. She hesitated at the end of the hall, but stepped through the living room and into the kitchen to retrieve the tea and bring it out to the coffee table. While she had no intention of drinking it anymore, she supposed it made her appear just slightly less panicked than she truly was. Sitting on one end of the couch, Ana crossed one leg over her knee and turned her head to look at him again.

"Marcus... There's something I never told you. I wanted to explain why I broke things off," she began, hardly registering the fact that she wasn't even trying to tip-toe around anyone's feelings. "At the time, though, it would have made things even worse. Now I have to do so.

"You see, I wasn't angry at you, or any of the things you may have thought. And, for reference, it most definitely was not because of Pavel." Her jaw clenched briefly, but she trudged ahead. Keeping her secret would get her nowhere. "This is only relevant because... your daughter has gone missing. Ours, actually. She's ten, Marcus, and I swear she looks so like you. That's the important problem. The other can wait."
Zara Halworth
Zara Halworth
Graduate
Graduate

Back to top Go down

Post by Marcus Belby Fri Aug 08, 2014 3:07 am

Marcus didn't normally miss a beat. The lives of some of the most important people in the world often depended on his ability to keep up. This, though, blindsided him.

We? There was no we. There had been no we for years and years. He was about to open his mouth to reply with sharp, biting sarcasm. WE didn't have a problem. If there was no WE it wasn't his problem. It was hers.

He frowned. She was scattered, rattling, rushing. She had protected her son from hearing.  He followed her inside and tried to put his anger behind him long enough to listen.

Why was she bringing up now why she'd walked out on him almost 12 years ago? They'd both moved on. She had children, and so did he.  It had been an affair gone sideways. That's the way those things rolled. Promises made, promises broken.  

Wait. What? What were those last words she'd spoken? She was talking about a daughter. His mind went to Brooke. His daughter. It was the only daughter he had. But it wasn't her daughter. Brooke was the child he'd had with The Harpy.

He caught the words on the rewind in his head. He had had to mentally rewind it a second time as he sat down, silent. His mind flooded with thoughts, followed by feelings.

He spoke, his voice deliberately quiet and controlled because he needed it to be, his words intentionally slow so his brain could listen to what he was saying.

"Twelve years," he said to her softly." Its been almost twelve years. And you're just telling me now that I have another child? Our child?" He was stunned, and he was angry. He'd left The Harpy because she wasn't a fit mother. He'd taken sole custody of their children to protect them.

And now there was one more. One more that had been left in questionable conditions. He had believed Ana to be alright, but at the moment, he did bring it to question.  But his child had grown up with him? Pavel? Really?  Marcus wasn't stupid. He did, after all, work for the Bulgarian Minister. He had the inside track to a lot of things--including professional Quidditch.

One didn't need much of an inside track to know about Pavel Levski. He was a broken man, broken by alcohol and whatever the hell else he used.  He was a legend alright, but for all the wrong things.  Marcus had a lot of things to say, but the last part of her words had gotten through. Missing. He had a child. A child who was missing. A child who didn't even know he existed.  A daughter who was just ten.

He breathed in, barely able to contain his words. He found himself shaking his finger at her, something totally out of character. But there was nothing in this that was in character.  

"You owed me more than this," he said quietly. "We need to talk, and I haven't even gotten started." He needed a breath to reel in his rage at her. He breathed in and then sighed heavily, in resignation, at least for the moment--for the child--his child.

"Alright.  Get me a photo. Tell me what you know. Hell, I don't even know her name," he said. "Tell me about her friends, where she goes, what she likes, what's been going on in this house. Did she have a reason to go out?  Did she go to a friend's? Was she irked with you? Has she ever gone off before?  I need something to go on."
Marcus Belby
Marcus Belby
Ravenclaw Graduate
Ravenclaw Graduate

Back to top Go down

Post by Zara Halworth Fri Aug 08, 2014 5:32 am

It was his silence that worried her.

Ana wanted him to shout - that's what the charm had been cast for, after all! She wanted him to rage at her about everything he had deserved to know. But the quiet was far worse than anything else, because it spoke volumes on its own. Her chin sank towards her chest, hair falling over her shoulder like a curtain between the two of them. Like the space that had been produced by her leaving without telling him anything concrete. Instead of concrete information, she had built a concrete wall.

"Marcus-" she started, wondering if that was actually too informal for the relationship they now had. "How was I supposed to explain that? It was an affair. You know how Pavel is. He wouldn't have handled any of it properly. He's too busy and too caught up in whatever her name is that he's cheating on me with. Only this time, it's me he's harming. And the children. But if it had been me hurting him... Hurting his reputation... He would have turned to the harder things and made life even worse for the lot of us. I couldn't say anything."

Yes, she was oblivious to the truth when it came to her husband. But really, she associated all of his strange behavior with wanting that other woman but being unable to marry her because of the law that Ana herself had created. Perhaps she should have divorced him and remarried before presenting her findings... But the look on the Purebloods' faces had been priceless, so she couldn't regret it entirely. No matter how pessimistic or cruel it made her seem to the general public.

Wait. Did Marcus see her that way? Ana shot a sideways glance to check, but couldn't find an answer. It was like she was meeting her childhood sweetheart and finding him to be a villain. ....or maybe she was the villain in this case. Her - their - daughter was missing and she was sitting there wondering what he thought about her?

Shaking her head at her own stupid train of thought, she turned her attention fully on his next statement. Nodding slightly, Ana knew that it was the best she could hope for when it came to him. So instead of questioning his future intention to sit down (or stand up) and yell at her, she took in as many of his questions as possible.

"Okay, okay. Breathe. If you start worrying visibly, you know damn well I will, too."

Standing, Ana crossed the living room to the desk meant for any late night work, and picked up a picture of the ten-year-old. Returning to the couch, she purposefully sat closer to him so she could show him the picture. "This is Poppy. I don't appreciate you expecting that this is my fault, but I will say that she is a bit... Well, against me sometimes. I have a feeling she has nicked more of my nicer belongings than I realize, but I hardly mind. I think she dislikes Pavel to some extent, though he is all but obsessed with her most days. I can't even get a word in to say goodnight. But as for where she would go, I can't say I have an answer. She's not starting school until fall - early, by the way - so she doesn't have folks from any house or anything like that.

Anton said he went to practice and came back to find her missing. So we have no exact time on how long she's been away, either. That might be the more terrifying part. I'd hoped it was her at the door instead of you..."
Zara Halworth
Zara Halworth
Graduate
Graduate

Back to top Go down

Post by Marcus Belby Sat Aug 09, 2014 12:57 am

She was defensive, and he should have expected it. Honestly, though, he didn't expect any of this. He was critical of her, and at this point, he was unapologetic for it. He took the photo and looked for the first time into the face of his other daughter. He wasn't prepared for another child, but if he were to be, this wasn't the way he ever had wanted to meet one of his children.

Marcus knew he wasn't a saint. He was much too fond of firewhiskey, cigarettes, and sex. To his credit, though, he was a good father, a skilled intelligence officer, and an even better bodyguard. He had decent morals, and, despite the fact that he'd not been brought up as a Gryffindor, he had made peace with the fact that his work often asked him to toss himself in front of a hostile wand or whatever else the threat was for the sake of someone or something more important.

That almost always meant he could yank himself up by his own bootstraps to address the mission at hand. He studied the fine features of the tiny girl with light brown hair that matched his own shade, the eyes that were the same shade of blue, not brown like her mother's. Even the shape of her chin was Marcus's own.

"The only thing Pavel ever handled was his grip on a pint," Marcus said sarcastically as he studied the photo. He listened to her details about the child. Too small to have the crowd of Hogwarts friends that would have drawn her out. No place really to go. Nicked her mother's things? What was that about? Was she a delinquent or was it her anger at her mother? Or did she just like pretty things? Anger at Pavel would not provide that motivation, surely.

Something uncomfortable niggled at his brain when she said Pavel was nigh onto obsession about her most days. Obsession? With a ten year old? A child that didn't look even remotely like Pavel himself? That wasn't right. What thought was Ana using to coddle herself that things were alright? That Pavel loved the child even if he was living a sham with Ana? No, no. Surely they'd all been living an illusion for about as long as they'd been married. That was, after all, how she and Marcus had come together.

He had married the shrew. The funny, vivacious date that had become, the moment the gold band had settled on her finger, a nasally, shrieking, outrageous caricature of what Marcus had thought she was. The sound of her voice jangled his spinal cord now. Her own children didn't like her any better. The flash of her fiery red hair made him cringe, and the way she burned through money faster than fire in a sawmill, all at the expense of his children was unconscionable to him.

He'd come together with Ana when she was finding things with Pavel were not really any better than his own situation. Living in hell, they'd found a port in the storm in each other. Now, today, it rather sounded like those ports had suffered a perfect storm.

His eyes landed suddenly on the necklace that Poppy wore in the photo. He deliberately turned away, towards the window, as if he were merely getting a better look at the photo in the light. In point of fact, he needed a moment because his blood had just turned to ice in his veins. He'd seen that necklace just this morning in one of the most foul places in London, and in the singularly most foul murder scenes he'd ever witnessed.

"She's lovely," Marcus said quietly, deciding to ease into it, to try not to give off any clues. "Takes your things, does she?" he laughed gently. "Brooke rather likes some of my mother's antique jewelry too. Could just be a kid thing. Unusual necklace she has on. Can't say I've seen anything like it. One of a kind piece, is it?" He took the photo out of the frame and handed the empty frame back to Ana, pocketing the picture.

London. How the hell does a ten year old get to London?

"Got a wand, has she? Can she use one?" he asked. He strongly doubted a ten year old had any ability to apparated or port. It was well beyond her abilities. He went to the fireplace and knelt at the hearth, finding little piles of floo powder that looked like it had been clumsily dropped.

He stood up and drew the bowl off the mantel and looked in. He saw, in the fine powder, distinct shapes made by tiny fingers trying to dig deeply into the bowl for a large handful of floo powder, too much to fit in her little hand. Some had spilled out onto the hearth. An amateurish use of it, a harsh miscalculation on how much powder was needed. He doubted she'd ever tried floo powder by herself before.

"She went by floo," Marcus said, handing the bowl to Ana to see the little finger patterns in the dust. He pointed the patterns of powder on the hearth stones. "Quickly. Go up to her room and see if she took anything with her. I need to know," he said. "I can't lose time. I need to follow her." He deliberately didn't tell Ana that he knew where the child had been, somehow, earlier this morning. Nor that he honestly didn't know if she was still alive--or not.
Marcus Belby
Marcus Belby
Ravenclaw Graduate
Ravenclaw Graduate

Back to top Go down

Post by Zara Halworth Sat Aug 09, 2014 2:05 am

Ana didn't even chide him for his commentary about her husband. Instead, she stuck him with a faintly confused look. He wasn't all that much of a drunk. And if he was while she wasn't around, the children had not said anything. How would Marcus know if Ana herself didn't?

When his gaze returned to the photo, Ana watched him more openly. As ever, he was focused and somehow self-assured even in the times (like this one) that Ana was panicked. His next words tugged at her heart a bit, noting to herself that, indeed, Poppy was quite lovely. But he surprised her as he continued, the question catching her off guard.

"Well, I believe so. It was one of the things of mine that she liked. I knew she'd taken it, but... I mean, what could I say? I've been busy and distracted." Ana shook her head, the action directed at herself rather than him or Poppy. "Does that matter? I don't even know if she was wearing it today."

"Of course not. We haven't taken her to get one yet. We were meant to go this next week, the kids and I," Ana replied, brow furrowing in a show of how irked she was. What was he getting at, anyway? He didn't know the girl and he couldn't very well know what the necklace meant or how it related.

Except, he suddenly knew exactly what had happened. Ana stared at him for a moment, taking the bowl and looking down at it. Awed and cowed slightly, she set it down and stood, brushing off her hands as she nodded. "Right. Okay. I'll go get Anton; he'd know."

Removing the silencing charm, she started up the stairs without checking to see if he followed, and knocked on the wall outside of Anton's room before looking around the doorframe. He glanced up and saw the change in his mother's expression. Jumping to his feet, he moved to stand in the doorway.

"Help me check Poppy's room, okay? If you find anything missing, let me know. I think we're on the way to getting her back." Anton nodded, moving towards her room, but Ana stopped him with, "And, love, you've got to do exactly as Marcus asks. Even if he says you need to stay with someone or anything like that. He knows what he's doing."

Anton paused for a moment, but finally uttered an, "okay." He moved down the hall in front of Ana, and moved into Poppy's room. Ana went for the obvious things - jackets, bags, things like that - while Anton moved around her bed to check her collection of dolls. After only a few moments he froze, turning to face Ana.

"Mom, one of her favorites - it's gone. I mean, it makes sense she would take one. It's not here." Pointing to the others, Anton frowned deeply.

Ana couldn't say she had seen him look so determined or sure in his life, and that was amazing considering the boy was a rather self-confident Ravenclaw. But she accepted that what he said had to be true, opening her palm for him to take and leading the pair downstairs. Once she had Marcus back in her gaze, Ana stiffened again, determined to remain calm in front of him.

"She's missing one of her dolls. She's very careful with them," Anton said, surprising Ana. Her eyes flew to his, nodding in encouragement and offering a gentle smile. "If it's not here, it went with her."
Zara Halworth
Zara Halworth
Graduate
Graduate

Back to top Go down

Post by Marcus Belby Sat Aug 09, 2014 3:01 am

"Good work," he said to Anton. "That helps. I'm a special auror; I work for the Ministry." Well, that was close enough, he supposed. Not exactly true, but close enough for Anton to understand how he fit into Ana's life for the moment. "I specialize in protection services, and I'm going to look for your sister. I have a couple of ideas, so keep your fingers crossed."

He looked back at Ana. He didn't honestly believe he had a ghost of a chance at leaving her behind.  He knew better.  He was going to try, though. He knew she'd call him out on his next line of crap but, still, she had a son to consider. Where he had to go wasn't any place he wanted Ana to go. He knew, before it was over, he was very likely going to have to have another face off with James Blood.

The massive werewolf was terrifying even without doing anything. But, fully transformed, and if he were feeling a need to attack? Marcus hadn't found much of anything that had stopped the brute. Marcus didn't want Ana hurt or killed, and Blood seemed to have a thing for women.  This was exceptionally dangerous. He didn't want Ana killed, and, in particular, he didn't want Ana finding Poppy in the same state he had found the women in the potions lab.

"I need you to stay here," he told her, knowing already that didn't have a snowball's chance of working. "In case she comes back or there's any word at all."  Marcus didn't believe, not for a second, that there was even the slightest chance Poppy would walk away on her own volition from James or that he would exactly let her send an owl to her mom. That wasn't happening.  "I'll keep you informed."  

He was hoping that would be that.  He turned on his heel, drawing a key ring out of his pocket, a ring of portkeys--unimaginative as it was to use keys as portkeys.  He was intending on porting straight to Diagon Alley.  He went to the door and looked back at Anton.

"Keep your mum from worrying, will you? Keeping your hands and your minds busy will help," Marcus told him. He was internally coming up with a list of lame excuses why she couldn't come along.  He knew he'd need it.  It really was a waste of effort.

At the same time, he was trying to figure out how he would investigate this without telling her the truth because this time the truth was more brutal than providing her a bit of cushion to let her live in her delusion just a wee bit longer.

And somewhere in this, Poppy's smiling little face had already become etched in his mind. If he did find her alive, what was he going to do? Was he going to simply let her think he was the nice auror that had come after her and then vanish again from her life forever? How could he do that, knowing now what he knew?  And if he became part of Poppy's life, he figured Ana, in some form, came with that package.  

That was alright, he supposed. The Harpy would be pissed, but he enjoyed any chance to piss her. He had no illusions that they would be any sort of happy little family.  Still, was it so much to ask that perhaps they'd all have just a rainy evening someplace with a bite to eat and a little conversation? Just enough, perhaps that Poppy didn't grow up thinking that Pavel was the best she'd ever get. He couldn't imagine anyone truly being happy living in the same house with that git, so he immediately discounted any chance that Poppy actually liked her "father."  Nah.  Now that would take some real magic.

It crossed his mind for a nanosecond that someone would perhaps think he was jealous of the man.  Nah.  He had never liked Pavel. Not that he could recall. He hadn't had any regard for him when he and Ana had been together before, and his affection for Pavel hadn't exactly grown. And the last time he'd slept with Ana couldn't have been that long after Poppy had been conceived. Hardly anything to be jealous of this late into things.Nah. Scratch off jealousy.  That meant that Pavel had to just a rotter. That was it. Pavel was a rotter, and Marcus was entirely justified in not liking him. Case closed.
Marcus Belby
Marcus Belby
Ravenclaw Graduate
Ravenclaw Graduate

Back to top Go down

Post by Zara Halworth Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:59 pm

It wasn't until Marcus turned back to speak to Anton that she finally found her voice. "Like Hell." At her side, the boy muttered an embarrassed 'mom!' But didn't seem to mean it. Ana was somehow sure that Pavel was just as bad if not worse. Patting him on the head in apology, Ana stepped towards Marcus, finger pointed at him in warning.

"If you think I'm sitting this out, you're mad. What? I can't handle it? I've been through things like this, too, when I was in the Auror office. You know full well I have."

So she was a little bit miffed. But didn't she have a right to be? She had told him time and again that she missed being an Auror to some extent. That she had actually done really well. Yet here he was saying that she didn't get to find her own daughter? Ana hadn't been part of the girl's life enough to even notice what had gone missing. Well. Besides the girl herself. Ana deserved a chance to fix some part of that. Or she wanted to believe she did, anyway.

So that left Anton. Looking over her shoulder, Ana pursed her lips for a moment before turning back to Marcus. "Now either you come with me to drop him off with someone, or he's coming, too. Obviously the last isn't actually an option I'm making available for you."

Fixing Marcus with her most serious attempt at an intimidating face - something she had frequently managed with others but not so often with him - she waited. Her hands fell to her hips, unwittingly mirroring her first interaction with him outside of just work. When she had stated considering getting into something with him, her fingers would often grip her waist as she struggled to keep herself thinking clearly.

This wasn't quite like those times, but it hit her belatedly and she let her hands fall to her sides. She wasn't about to give up though, because she reached a hand out to Anton, waiting for him to take it and stand beside her. Marcus would have to say no to the pair of them, and hopefully that wouldn't be easy.
Zara Halworth
Zara Halworth
Graduate
Graduate

Back to top Go down

Post by Marcus Belby Mon Aug 11, 2014 11:37 pm

In another time and place Marcus would have been laughing and teasing her a bit playfully about how she so fearlessly stood up to him, fully intending to be fierce and impressive and how it never really intimated him. He probably would have laughed and then kissed her and told her it had been a nice try. This was not the time.

"Nice try," he said quietly. That was the only thing, like old times, he was willing to say or do. Today, though, there was no humor in it. Today he was quiet and serious. "But just so you know, I'd have never let you take your son into this," he said. He looked at the young man. "No offense." The boy looked truly miffed at being dropped somewhere to be babysitted. Marcus couldn't blame him. The boy looked old enough to babysit, not be babysitted.

"I do remember your resume," he told her. "It is very different, though, when its your own child. We do this by the rules, Ana. Got that?" Marcus generally followed the rules--up to a given point. if he tried them and it didn't work for him, if he'd given it the proverbial 'old college try' and it had fallen flat, then he made his own rules. Whatever was necessary.

At this point, he wasn't even going to slightly hesitate about taking Robert into his confidence if he needed to, if he needed to toss out the rules. Marcus had learned that Robert was very end-game minded. He worked for the greater good, and that sometimes meant that rules needed to be bent or broken for that greater good to be protected.

There was nothing good, nothing redeeming in James Blood. Not one speck of humanity left, so far as Marcus could see. Robert would not hesitate to provide them as many allies and as much support as he could muster if it gave them a chance of getting Poppy back.

"Alright," he said, nodding at Ana. "Let's go. Let's not waste time."

Marcus's bigger question was where the heck was James holding up at now? If the gossip was true that he had run to Fenrir Greyback for shelter from the aurors, then perhaps, the Greybacks were the way to go. There would be a weak link someplace. All they had to do was find it.
Marcus Belby
Marcus Belby
Ravenclaw Graduate
Ravenclaw Graduate

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top