We Need A Little Christmas - Page 3
Welcome to Potter’s Army

Welcome to Potter's Army

We have been a Harry Potter Roleplaying site since 2007. If you're an old member we hope you come check out the discord link provided below. And if you're looking for a new roleplaying site, well, we're a little inactive. But every once and a while nostalgia sets in and a few of our alumni members will revisit the old stomping grounds and post together. Remember to stay safe out there. And please feel free to drop a line whenever!

We Need A Little Christmas - Page 3 Li9olo10

What’s Happening?
Since every few months or so a few of our old members get the inspiration to revisit their old stomping grounds we have decided to keep PA open as a place to revisit old threads and start new ones devoid of any serious overarching plot or setting. Take this time to start any of those really weird threads you never got to make with old friends and make them now! Just remember to come say hello in the chatbox below or in the discord. Links have been provided in the "Comings and Goings" forum as well as the welcome widget above.

We Need A Little Christmas

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

We Need A Little Christmas - Page 3 Empty Re: We Need A Little Christmas

Post by Mira Anderson Fri Jan 03, 2014 3:22 am

Mira had settled into a routine at the flat she and Avery had once shared. She forced herself to rise at a reasonable hour, ate a quick breakfast, and was out of the house by mid morning. Mira spent most of her days in London, meeting with old friends and sticking her name out for acceptable jobs in the area. Never before had the blonde been faced with the reality of having to take care of herself and she became grateful for the generosity of Avery and her connections from the old days.

There was enough money left in her bank account for Mira to live comfortably, if not beyond her means, but she was becoming increasingly aware of how urgent employment was. Besides, she needed something to do for her own sanity. Sitting around an empty house only led to thinking about what she had lost. Mira needed something to gain.

The blonde had gone to bed later than normal, kept awake by nagging thoughts and strange noises coming from her neighbors. She laid in bed for hours, restlessly dozing in and out of sleep. She was abruptly woken by a loud knock, making her sit strait up and look around for the source of the noise. There was a second knock and this time Mira was conscious enough to recognize it, prompting her to slip out of bed, pulling on her robe as she headed for the door.

Mira sleepily ran her hand through her hair in some vain attempt to make it look less like she had just rolled out of bed. She reached the door as quickly as she could, flicking on the lights as she went. Swinging it open, she revealed Avery and Keiran, the former of which looked more of less dead in his arms. Before he even spoke Mira was piecing together things in her mind. Some sort of fight? Yes, it was either that or a true disaster that would have brought the happy newlywed back to her old home.

"It's fine!" Mira said hurriedly, moving forward to allow Avery's weight to be given to her and supporting her slightly limp best friend the best she could. Despite her best efforts, Mira was weaker than Keiran and the effort of holding Avery's weight was enough to make her next words slightly rushed and strained. "Thank you for bringing her. I can get her to bed." She moved away from the door and towards the bedroom, not wanting to slam the door in the older man's face, but hoping he wouldn't stay and chat.

Mira helped Avery down the hall, the drunken girl mumbling away. She got her friend sitting up on the bed without too much trouble but ran into problems when it came to getting her out of the boots and jeans she was wearing. Avery was more or less passed out and Mira helped her without shame or problem, dressing the girl in a long tee shirt and abandoning any attempt at pants for the sheer effort it would mean. As quickly as she had been able, Mira had Avery tucked under the covers with a bucket beside her bed (just in case).

With a soft kiss to her best friend's forehead, Mira grabbed her own pillow from the bed and a blanket from the closet, flicking the lights as she left to go settle down on the couch. Something told her that she wouldn't be getting very much sleep tonight.
Mira Anderson

Number of posts : 539

Back to top Go down

Post by Avery Bishop Fri Jan 03, 2014 7:40 am

(OOC: Just in case – Avery's first line in this is the one Keiran didn't catch anything of but Robin's name)

"Avery, no. Robin is going to murder me."
"Promise me..."
"Yes, okay, fine. I'll tell."
"Mira's. I want to see Mira."

Arms swept her up, apparating them out of the wizarding pub (a favorite of Keiran's and Avery's for the ability to simply return home at their leisure or as soon as necessary). Shuffling down the hall, Avery felt her eyes drooping and she couldn't tell if the smell of alcohol came from her, or Keiran, or both.

He wasn't listening. Why didn't he pay attention? Avery's head fell against his shoulder in defeat, and from far away she thought Mira was talking. Maybe not. Keiran's voice – far too loud – mentioned their fight. Mira apparently didn't ask questions.

Yes, Avery thought, it was pretty awful. She had been a right moron but her husband had been quite horrible in return. Damn him.

Bring her inside? Yes... Yes! There was a bed inside! Brilliant, Keiran. Totally Brilliant. She'd have to thank him later if she remembered. Something inside her suggested he wouldn't. He moved so she was standing a bit more properly. Mira's voice, for sure this time. Robin had named Mira in his list. Avery decided, rather blearily, that she wasn't angry about it anymore. She wasn't quite allowed to be. “I don't think Robin will want me back.” She muttered, again ignored by Keiran as passed her over to Mira to be taken inside.

- - -

Strange dreams floated through Avery's head as the hours passed*.

In the first, she was standing in the rain, but something was terribly wrong. The song from Les Miserables played somewhere in the background like it came from Muggle headphones though she wore none.

I don't feel any pain/ A little fall of rain/ Can hardly hurt me now/ That's all I need to know/ And you will keep me safe/ And you will keep me close/ And rain will make the flowers grow....

Her eyes stung, but mostly from the music more than her own emotions. Something felt different, better, new. But Avery knew better. Nothing was better. Turning over her shoulder, all she could see were streets covered in puddles of water one might expect a child to jump into just to see how high of a splash they could make. But no one was running or jumping. There was no one at all....

The second found Avery in an uncomfortable chair, staring across a desk at that snappy Ministry woman who had ran hers and Robin's meeting. But this time she wasn't greeted with Robin's open arms. She was alone in her chair, and he was nowhere to be seen. "Avery," Mrs. Levski (how was that woman married, anyway?) began, "I daresay it is my duty to inform you that after passing through the first duty of the Matrimonium Legem in getting married, your next step is the child that is required."

"I'm aware."

"Then, perhaps you will be pleased to know that you are expecting, and that duty will soon, too, be fulfilled." Ana said without any inflection or note of sarcasm.

Avery just stared at her for a moment before letting her mouth fall open as she blinked a few times. "This, you thought, was the best way to tell me?"

Why wasn't she at St. Mungo's anyways? In her meeting she had rejected to opportunity to know what the child would be. She wasn't going to take that back. Maybe Ana was meant to be the one to tell her. That was stupid. And where was Robin anyway? Didn't he want to know? Avery glanced around the room just in case. The door was firmly shut with no sign of someone heading in. Well this was just brilliant. Something, though Avery couldn't put her finger on it, said that she wasn't going to be able to tell him. He wouldn't want her to. Was he mad at her? She couldn't remember. She just wanted to leave.

- - -

The light of morning brought with it a splitting headache as well as remorse and heartache. The night had not gone well, but Avery had remembered soon enough where she was and did her best to keep quiet. Unfortunately, she was sure that at some point she had gotten up to use the loo and probably woken Mira with her lack of ability to see her way around in the dark. Had it really been that long? It didn't feel like it. So why couldn't she get herself into the bathroom? Avery groaned and pulled the sheets up over her head in an attempt at blocking out any light from the window across the room. It was later than she had slept in ages, what with work. Thank Merlin it was a holiday. Oh, bloody hell, it was Christmas Eve. She had left her husband right before Christmas.

Well, that wasn't quite right. She hadn't left him. She'd just left the house.

'Yes, Avery. Because that will be a viable excuse when you don't show up today. Not that he would even want to take you back in after that mess of a show. You'll never be up to scratch at this rate. Good on ya, you nutter.'

Sooner rather than later, she suspected Mira would come along to shove her out of bed but for the time being she was content to pretend she hadn't woken up. As long as she could keep herself under the warmth, blocking out the light of day, Avery would stay. As if the universe could feel her reluctance, a spike of pain lanced through her head. She had to do something.

Avery was unsure where she had read it, but now she understood the idea that love wasn't real until it hurt.

And Merlin did she hurt. Most of it was her own fault from having been out drinking too late, as well as the sudden realization that she had made Keiran a promise she was afraid to fulfill. How the hell did she remember that when she couldn't remember how late they had stayed out talking or what it had been about? The rest of the pain came from the apparent lack of one Mr. Ivanov having come looking for her. Honestly, where else would she be? But then, the fight was also her fault. So why would he even want to spend his evening searching for her? Avery hoped he had slept well, regardless of what that would mean concerning his fear – or lack thereof – for her.

After a minute or two, she recalled where they kept the potions and muggle pills for hangovers and stood to make her way to the bathroom to see what was available. Huh. Mira had apparently gone about changing her. Well, Avery had failed to notice that in the night. But at least she knew that she had been looked after. She was loathe to even imagine what might have happened should she have not met up with Keiran or if he hadn't had the presence of mind to take her home. She supposed it still did feel like home, even if she couldn't find the loo at night.

Upon reaching the bathroom, however, she let out a sigh of relief when she discovered a quick-acting potion that would ease the headache. A bit of her subconscious suggested that she deserved the pain. Something in Avery felt a need to be yelled at or punished, if only so that she could eventually move on from how completely stupid she felt. A much bigger part of her, though, pointed out that she would be in pain regardless. Avery tipped her head back and drank a bit, deciding that she oughtn't take the lot of it. It was technically Mira's at this point.

It seemed to take ages for her to get dressed and look presentable. Avery was certain not to take anything Mira particularly loved, but of course would end up washing and returning the clothes later. It wasn't as if they hadn't shared clothing before. Luckily, they were about the same size, so even if one girl's clothes were a bit too large or perhaps a bit small, they could always layer jackets or scarves to make up the difference. She just searched for something that would work with her boots and could perhaps keep her warm if she needed run outside for air. If she was going to walk out and find Mira waiting for her, Avery would feel worse if she looked a mess. Even if she ended up crying or upset, at least she would have started out looking composed. Not that Mira would ever care. But the blonde would undoubtedly never question it – Avery was probably one of the only dragon trainers (if not the only one) who consistently felt concerned about her appearance.

When you thought you had so much to make up for, it just became a habit, Avery mused. She left the bedroom in search of coffee or her friend, whichever she found first. If anyone would sit through an explanation of her reasoning, it was her best friend. They seemed to have made a silent pact never to judge – as evidenced by last night when Mira apparently had put herself out to sleep on the couch. In time, the debt would be repaid, but for now she would simply avoid thanking her. It would only bring up the topic earlier than her addled brain and trampled heart could manage. In the end, neither knew who owed each other what anymore.

“Mira?” She called, wincing at how loud the word felt. The potion didn't seem to have kicked in just yet. Or not in full, at least. “Do you want me to make breakfast?” The idea in itself was painful, but the girl deserved it, Avery knew, after she had been woken up to take her friend in. She hoped Mira had slept at least decently.

Mid-way down the hall, Avery paused suddenly and wrapped her arms around her stomach as it turned. What was going on? Surely she had gotten it out of her system (well, more or less) by now? At least to the point where she wouldn't feel the need to use the loo again, as she had in the night. After a second, she realized her eyes were closed and a hand held her up against the wall. This wasn't quite right. She was never the type to faint - even in the aftershocks of being burnt by a young, prissy dragon who wasn't quite in control of himself yet. So feeling dizzy in the first place was both worrying and a bit scary due to the newness of the idea. Taking a moment for herself, Avery only prayed Mira wouldn't walk to the hall, wondering where the person who had called out to her had disappeared to, and find her a mess. Goodness knew she was going to be one in mere minutes anyway, if the girls ended up having the heart-to-heart she expected.

Eyes open. Head up. It had never happened.

Avery moved through the hall and into the kitchen, fighting to keep a hand from brushing over her torso again with the surprise of what had happened.

*(OOC:I may have researched dreams suggesting pregnancy. Because drunk=not believing them)
Avery Bishop
Avery Bishop
Durmstrang Graduate
Durmstrang Graduate

Number of posts : 575

Back to top Go down

Post by Mira Anderson Sat Jan 04, 2014 4:48 am

Mira's night exiled to the couch had been less than pleasant and she had only drifted in and out of consciousness for a few hours before scrapping the idea of sleep and getting an early rise to the day. To be fair, she wasn't sure she would have done any better if she had taken the bed with Avery because she had heard the blonde getting up for the bathroom more than once in the night. Whatever the newlyweds had gone though, Mira hadn't seen her best friend this destroyed, well, ever.

When the sun made an appearance in the winter sky, Mira lost her restraint to respect the sleeping and flicked on the small kitchen television, letting the morning news play. She made herself toast with jam and ate it on the countertop, not to be bothered by the pointless traditions of sitting down at the table. She had barely finished when Avery's voice called out from the hall. "I'm fine, love. Want me to make you anything?" There was silence before Mira was joined in the kitchen by her friend.

"Oh dear." Mira looked Avery up and down, taking in what was in front of her. "You look like you had quite a night."

A second pot of coffee was already brewing for the new arrival and Mira hoped that Avery remembered their stash of potions and cures in the bathroom for hangovers just like this. If her state the night before was any indication, Mira guessed that Avery was already having an equally intense morning. While the younger blonde wasn't a heavy drinker herself she had been in similar situations before and was curious for the explanation that she was sure to receive. What exactly had happened last night?

- - -

Robin hadn't made it to bed. He lay crooked on the couch, empty whiskey glass on the ground beneath his open hand. He had fallen asleep to the match some time from late night to early morning, overcome with fatigue and amplified by the large quantities of alcohol that he had managed to consumed both before and after Avery had made his disappearance. For a brief second he had considered chasing after her but his pride and firm belief that he was not in the wrong kept him in place.

The television had automatically turned off many hours ago and the silence of the home was only broken by a loud thud as ice fell off his roof. At the noise, Robin was woken to a throbbing headache and he sat groggily up, to which a letter fell off his chest and on to the ground. Robin picked both the letter and the glass up, putting them both on the counter before stumbling to the bathroom in search of a potion cure.

He found what he was searching for and downed a vial, glancing up at the mirror and groaning lightly at the mess that greeted him. The patter of their couch pillow had engrained itself on his cheek and dark circles sat securely under his eyes. His only relief was that the twisting stomach and headache had more or less been eliminated by the potion, letting him search for other magical cures without the risk of getting sick. He found a small pink bag that Mira had left behind under the sink and opened it to find an array of beauty potions and products.

Robin stared at the mess of makeups for a long moment, seriously considering it, before zipping the bag closed again and returning to the kitchen. There he dumped the empty glasses into the sink to be washed later and sat down on a bar stool, head resting in his palm as he tried to recall exactly what had happened the night before. He was still glad he hadn't attempted to follow Avery but the fact that she hadn't returned yet was starting to nag at him. Even if she didn't want to come home, he would have to go out and find out where she was today.

Robin needed to at least know she was safe.

Noticing the letter for the second time, Robin picked it up with a renewed interest and tore open the seal with little difficulty. He read it lazily at first, recognizing the scrawl, but began to sit up a little more intently with every word. When he had reached the end Robin closed his eyes and mumbled "Shit." before folding the note up and stuffing it into his trousers. Noting the time the letter had been sent, Robin felt immediately guilty for not having sent at least a response to his friend.

Robin moved to a drawer in the kitchen and pulled out a notebook and pen, scribbling down;

Keiran,
I've just received your news. I assume you're with Bridget now and I hope to join you as soon as I can. I've got to get the car but I should be there in a couple hours.

-Robin
P.S. Is Avery with you? I'll try Mira's too, but I'd like to let her know where I've gone.

And on a second sheet;

M,
Is Avery with you? If yes, let her know Aiden's dead and I've gone to Galway to be with Keiran and his family. If no, I'll explain later.

- Robin

He let a whistle out of the window for Owl Post and when a bird arrived he Keiran's note to it's ankle. He called again for a second bird, repeating the process. Robin made a mental note that both an owl and a fireplace were on the list of things that he needed to buy for the house, for Avery's sake if not for his. Taking a cab (it was much too cold for his bike now) was inconvenient enough but Robin couldn't bring himself to use the floo, even in a situation like this. It would only take a couple hours to get across Ireland and in that time he could process the events of the night before and morning.
Mira Anderson

Number of posts : 539

Back to top Go down

Post by Avery Bishop Sat Jan 04, 2014 7:02 am

Keiran's neck hurt from sleeping sitting up against the back of the couch. Somewhere in the time between his falling asleep and the morning, Millie had finally relaxed into him. She deserved to sleep after everything. So did Elliot. Keiran slipped his arms under Millie's feet and back, pulling her against him to pick her up.

A clatter from upstairs. Bridget must be up. That or Lucy was up and about. After a bit of effort, he'd made it upstairs with Millie and settled her into bed, blankets pulled up around her shoulders. Keiran pushed her hair out of her eyes and kissed her on the forehead before leaving to find out if his mum was awake.

“Keiran?”

Well that answered that.

“Keiran, you've got a letter.” She called from the bottom of the stairs. Robin. Keiran took the steps two at a time and took it when she held it out to him. He lifted a hand to hug Bridget around her shoulders before leading them into the kitchen.

“I've got to reply to this, and then go check on Elliot.” He explained, searching for a piece of parchment to write on. Bridget said that she would go on and find Elliot if he started some coffee and eggs. Nodding, Keiran found a pen and wrote out a reply.

Robin-
She's not here. I dropped her off at Mira's at about two, so I'm sure she's fine. I hadn't told her – long story, but I don't think I would've known how. We're making food so don't worry about it if you didn't get to eat anything. Sorry it's so early.
Keiran

The clock said it was nearly eight fifteen. It sure felt early. Keiran knew he wouldn't be sleeping any more today. Not until Robin or Avery or someone had shown up. So he went about making breakfast as promised, hoping Elliot would either let himself get some sleep or come in for food with Bridget when she returned.

- - -

“Unless you're already making something, I think I'm fine. Maybe just coffee?” Avery returned, forcing her hands to dive into the pockets of the jeans. “Sorry, I didn't bring anything with me..” she frowned, gesturing to the clothes before looking at the floor of the kitchen. By now, they'd learned to ignore any embarrassment between the two of them; that had been left behind ages ago when they'd had their first heart-to-heart. Avery had a feeling this would be another one of those times.

“You could say that.” She nodded, a hand coming up to rub at her temple. Nodding was not a good idea. “I don't know why I let myself drink so much..” A heavy sigh fell from her lips as she sat on one of the barstools between the kitchen and the open space that made up their living room and dining area.

An explanation needed to be given, and Avery knew that if she wanted to she could throw in as much bias and anger and all manner of language and Mira wouldn't care. Much as the light glaring through the window earlier had brought pain, though, it also brought a bit more of a realization. Sure, the fight was more or less based on her assumptions. But they had been right, her assumptions. Did that mean she was allowed to be angry?

“I just... You know,” Avery began, words coming out much more quickly than she intended them, “I don't see why it's such a bad idea for him to just tell me things. Like some random women sleeping in our – no, his – room while we're away. Nowhere in his house, apparently, does he have a place for me. I suggested that he didn't want the place to feel like it was mine, and he didn't deny it. He didn't even tell me we were having people over.” Her hands flew up in frustration as she moved to pick up a mug of the coffee Mira had brewed.

After taking a sip, she leaned against the counter and looked over at her best friend. Could she mention the list? She supposed she had to. Otherwise, she'd really have to explain that she was stupid for over-reacting.

“Mira, you know I love you.” She could slow down now. She had most of her frustration out. This she had to be careful with. “I do. I have nothing at all against you. But when I started wanting to leave, he got mad. And granted, the fight isn't, like, entirely his fault. But he didn't need to just.. Ok, so the one of the women who apparently stayed over, I figured out that he'd slept with her. Which isn't, you know, something I can help or something he can change. But I- … I don't know.” She set the coffee down. Suddenly nothing seemed appealing in the slightest. She felt bad for Mira having made it, but the younger blonde was probably going to drink it anyway.

“See, it's not that I wanted him to tell me everyone he's slept with – which he did by the way,” Avery shot a dark look at the ceiling, “but I guess not knowing is worse than knowing sometimes. Because the list. He didn't finish it I don't think. And here I am with no one to mention but him and he acts like that means nothing. Does that mean that he thinks that it means nothing? Or that I do? Or should I just expect that he's suddenly a changed man or something?”

Her head fell into her hands. She needed to sit down again. The creeping nausea made her nervous. That could stop now. She really wouldn't mind. She made her way into the living room to sit on the couch, glancing at the pillow and blanket guiltily. “I'm not saying it's really his fault. But after, you know, everything that's happened.. I don't expect that much from people anymore. I know we've had this talk before but I really don't know if I can trust him. I can't really even trust Keiran anymore, even if he did help me last night. I didn't know if you were in and I needed a guy to... I guess to tell me that I'm wrong for thinking he'll leave someday. That he'll get tired of just me, when he could have a list and -”

There was a series of taps from the window nearest Avery, stopping her before she could get too far down that road. How long had that owl been there? She'd been rather loud. She really didn't want to have to start crying again. She hated crying, especially in front of others – though Mira had seen it often enough, she supposed. With a slight frown, Avery stood to greet the owl that sat on the windowsill. She felt a bit bad for not having anything to give the poor thing after it had flown around in the chill of December, but took the letter and offered it an apologetic smile.

“Mira, it's yours.” She called, like it could have been hers. Even after a few months, she still had their old habits engrained in her. Tugging on the bottom of the letter she pulled it open so she could tell Mira who it was from.

Avery gasped loudly, dropping the paper on the dining table like it had singed her. Her eyes shot to meet Mira's before inching her hand back towards it. Mira would forgive her. She had to know. Her eyes traced the words over and over again, wondering many things at once. Why hadn't Keiran told her? Surely they could have had an owl to Mira's by then. And why was it written so... not harshly, exactly, but almost coldly? Like it was rushed?

She wasn't breathing. The paper fell again as she sank towards the floor, arms wrapped around herself. After a huge, gasping breath she looked up at Mira again, eyes wide and pooling with tears. Just seeing Robin's name had been enough to set her off. She couldn't remember if it was yesterday or forever ago that she had last held his hand. The action in itself was infrequent, especially in public where they seemed to more gravitate towards each other than touch, or where she would perhaps tuck her arm through his instead.

Her fear, her feeling of rejection, it was nothing. Her mind made a silent vow not to drink again, but deep inside she knew it wouldn't be true. Avery's feet led her to the couch where she pulled a pillow to her stomach and curled around it, feeling much smaller than she was, even after bringing her knees up to the pillow and tucking her head onto it. There was nothing that she or anyone else was safe from in this world, it seemed. Her head ached, but it was her heart that was broken and attempting to rip her in half. Sure, he wasn't actually her father, but Aiden was gone and she had just spent her morning wondering if Robin was thinking about her. How awful did someone have to be to waste their time on prattle like that when so much more mattered?

She was being selfish. She knew that. Mira was probably watching her right now, but Avery wondered how long she could get away with curling up and trying to hide from the truth. Eventually, though, the guilt of her apparent desire to keep to herself rather than check on Keiran or his mother caught up to her. Her eyes clenched shut, face scrunching to match. First she had basically had a one-sided fight with Robin to the point where she wasn't sure he'd let her back in his house, and then she'd completely trampled over Keiran's friendship and his relationship. Now this? She had slept through the night like the most horrible tosser and still somehow couldn't bring herself to go see them?

No.

No felt like a powerful word, when she repeated it over and over in her mind. No, she wasn't going to be that selfish, scared girl anymore. She had left that behind in school, but somehow this day had brought it all back. She suddenly felt sick, again. Seriously, was that going to stop? Instead, she let out a small groan that was a mix of the pain in her stomach and the pain in her heart. She was the worst. Without question.

Somehow, in her gathering her things and thanking Mira and offering that she could come up for Christmas Eve and Day with her, Avery had found a way to blame even Aiden's death on herself. If any one of them tried to hug her when she arrived, Avery worried she might panic and leave. Thoughts like that made her not want to go at all. After a little prodding from her best friend, though, Avery was stepping into the floo and immediately wishing she'd apparated.

They could very well be sitting in the living room when she popped in, scaring the living daylights out of anyone who was awake yet, and worse, collecting their stares as she stepped into their home. The only one she seemed to startle when she arrived, however, was a rather flat-faced, grumpy looking cat who bolted into the kitchen after giving her a particularly dirty glare, for a cat.

“Lucy- what?” Keiran's voice came from the arch to the kitchen and Avery nearly backed up into Mira as the other blonde stepped out of the floo behind her.

She had to. Now, before she gave up and left. Taking an impossibly deep breath, she tugged her coat around her, knowing full well it had been pointless to put it on but at the same time reveling in the minute comfort it afforded her. One foot into the kitchen. Avery immediately wished she had just sat down next to the tree and started arranging her gifts around it. Wait, those were still in Robin's spare room. Sod it all.

“Avery. Mira.” Keiran's voice. A clatter of plates as Bridget swung around to look. A man she didn't know stood where Aiden might have. He looked oddly familiar and exceedingly tired. Like he was about to head up to bed or something. Avery couldn't see Millie but that was probably for the best; the woman definitely knew by now. If she knew, that meant that Robin probably knew. Both feet out of the kitchen.

- - -

She was here. “Avery,” he said again, rushing forward to catch her before she could continue backing into the main hall. “Hey, it's alright.”

Avery shook her head, making him frown. He couldn't figure out what she wanted. Glancing around, Keiran thought that the only thing that could make her nervous was Elliot, since she probably only knew him by name or from the wedding. And he looked rather different now, though Bridget denied having anything to do with it through her silence regarding the matter.

“Where is he..?” She asked finally. Keiran wasn't sure what she meant. Robin? Dad?

“The lab, dear.” Bridget filled in. Apparently he'd taken too long to answer. “But you don't have to go in there if you're not ready. We've put a spell on him – a sort of preservation spell – so he'll be alright.”

Avery's chin shook for a moment, then she winced. She must not have taken care of her hangover very well yet. Her cheeks were tearstained – probably from whenever she had been told. Robin must have told Mira, since he hadn't been sure where she was as of his letter.

Avery took Keiran's hand, pulling him out towards the front room. “Have you started planning anything? I- I want to help.”

“It's okay, you don't have to. I know you don't really want to-”

“Stop it. Just stop. I've got to, okay? So you and mum don't have to.” She snapped, crossing her arms in front of her.

Keiran stared at her for a moment, taking in what she'd said. She called them Mum and Dad? It felt so strange, hearing those words, after what had happened the night before. But it didn't matter because Bridget had come out of the kitchen and was hugging Avery to her. “Oh, my love. He knew, I promise he did.”

He decided it was best to give them a moment, seeing Avery's tears start falling again, and headed back into the kitchen to finish with breakfast and to properly greet Mira. In time, they all settled into an awkward breakfast situation, Avery still practically clinging to his mum. How had this woman adopted all of these people in his life? Keiran couldn't complain about it, but he hadn't always noticed how insanely special his mother was until that morning and the night before.

Breakfast was quiet, ending with Avery following Bridget upstairs, either to wrap gifts or to talk, and Keiran cleaning up the kitchen before moving into the living room. He would be around when Robin showed up, he'd decided. So he set in a movie he'd seen too many times, one he didn't have to pay attention to. He left a spot open on the couch for Mira if she wanted to join, then let himself drift into his thoughts.
Avery Bishop
Avery Bishop
Durmstrang Graduate
Durmstrang Graduate

Back to top Go down

Post by Melissa Finnigan Sun Jan 05, 2014 12:54 am

A night spent with the dead was a night that saw little movement bar the scurrying of mice and the hurrying of a restless wind. Inch by inch the Ogden’s bottle began to drain to nothingness and slowly but surely his brain began its warning drum beat that enough was very much enough. Thereafter, Elliot Finnigan danced in and out of consciousness, lulled against the leg of one of the worktables where he had sat himself down beside Aiden. Eventually, sunshine began to seep into the room from somewhere and the bottle was empty beside him. Elliot wasn’t sure if he had much of a head left and as the nausea began to rise he was really wondering if his nigh time vigil had been worth it. Second thoughts on the matter assured him that it had been. No man should be alone – even in death.

At some point, when the sun had risen to a suitable height, movement began to rock the house and Elliot looked up to see Bridget appear in the doorway. The woman, bless her heart, looked as though she’d gotten no sleep what so ever. Elliot slowly pulled himself to the feet, getting help from the work table. He smiled a little at Bridget, his lips not quite curling properly, and leaned down carefully to pick up the bottle. He crossed the room to her, careful to step around Aiden without disturbing him, and cast the man a final look before following Bridget into the main house where a lot more movement was to be had.

Elliot ignored as best he could the painful thud of his head and he entered the kitchen willingly before allowing Bridget to replace the Ogden’s bottle with a cup of steaming coffee. The majority of it was gone, piping hot down his throat, before Elliot held it out for a quick refill and Bridget did so without complaint before setting about making breakfast, Elliot happy to help any way he could by reaching up to get some of the high stuff off of the cupboard tops and getting out pans, etcetera.

Millie, he presumed, had finally succumbed and gone to bed. He didn’t blame her. He knew he’d crash at some point during the day but he was hoping it would be by the fire in the evening and not during the day when there was so much still to do. Millie needed sleep. She couldn’t stay up forever like he could. Whether Kieran realised it or not, the couple weren’t that quiet and Elliot had heard his fair share of the argument. Pregnancy explained a heck of a lot. Still, he wasn’t going to get in the middle of it. He was far too hung over to start punishing his brother-in-law anyway.

“Cheers, darlin’,” Elliot muttered, pressing a weary kiss to Bridget’s temple as she handed him a plate of scrambled eggs which had been given the onions, garlic and chilli treatment to blow his hangover out through his ears. He put the plate down on the counter and leaned over it, picking up a fork before beginning to lump the eggs into his mouth. He needed something salty, spicy and delightful to start mopping the Firewhisky in his gut. He was feeling better for it immediately too and once Bridget put a few pieces of toast on the side of his plate, refilling it and his cup in the process, Elliot was feeling more enthusiastic about the prospect of the day.

When the offending blonde arrived, Elliot noted the way she seemed to stutter and think twice when she caught sight of him. He wasn’t quite the mirror image of his sister anymore but he was close enough and if he was here than Millie must have been about somewhere. Yes, she did have reason to be worried but Millie had on her what no one else had and if she was ever concerned about holding her husband she did have the best hand out of all of the vipers that harangued about ruining people’s lives: she was having his baby. She would win every time.

Not that it was a competition but one likes to root for one’s sister – it’s a sibling thing.

“My offer still stands by the way,” Elliot called out to Kieran, tipping his fork to the other man before straightening up. He wandered out of the kitchen and ascended the stairs. He was giving up the ghost himself, now. He had one port of call: to check on Millie and then he’d finish his eggs, shove them onto his bedside table and drop himself into the softness of his bed. He couldn’t deal with being awake anymore.

She was fine, reader, for the record. When Elliot poked his head around the door, Millie was curled up under the duvet, her head buried underneath with only her hair popping up above it giving any indication of her presence. She shifted a little as he no doubt let the cold air in but Elliot, content to see that she was alright, slipped out again and trudged along the hall to his own room and to bed.
Melissa Finnigan
Melissa Finnigan
Seventh Year Gryffindor
Seventh Year Gryffindor

Number of posts : 669
Special Abilities : Seer

Back to top Go down

Post by Robin Ivanov Wed Jan 08, 2014 3:37 am

The car ride had been long and had allowed for more thinking time than Robin would have ever wished for. He had not been nearly as close to Aiden (and Bridget) as Keiran and Avery were but he had met the couple on several occasions and had positive impressions of both of them. So it was not so much for Aiden that he had a sinking feeling in his stomach, but rather for his best friend and wife, who he was sure were doing much worse than he was.

With directions to the cab driver, Robin pulled up to the Hayes family home a little more than two hours after he had owled Keiran and Mira. He had gotten the former's response right before leaving the house and felt the touch of smugness for guessing his wife's location before remembering why she was there and immediately sinking into grumpiness again.

Recalling the fight the night before, Robin had a hard time remembering exactly what had happened. He still held the firm knowledge that he had not been in the wrong but he also knew that certain actions may have been.. over the line. At the very least he should have contradicted some of Avery's more distasteful arguments in an effort to calm her down. No matter how wrong she was to lash out at him for.. whatever it was.. Avery had been upset beyond logical reason, leaving Robin to wonder if there was something more.

Needless to say, his new good habit of not drinking in the morning had been abandoned and self-medication had been a key feature in this ridiculously long morning. As the car parked, Robin downed a small vile of green potion, delaying and reducing the effects of anything and everything he had spent the morning taking. With a deep breath he tipped the cab driver and stepped out of the car. In much too little time he had made it to the front door and let himself in, revealing the the too-quiet house.

Robin moved through the rooms, stopping in the living room where he spotted Keiran and Mira sitting side by side on the couch, watching some old muggle movie with glazed expressions. Something nasty lurched in Robin's stomach as he looked upon his best friend and he found himself unable to go directly to him, instead first moving to the blonde and pressing a soft kiss to her temple. Mira looked up and mumbled "Robin", a certain discomfort in her tone that he couldn't place.

He offered her a smile of comfort for their awkward position of disconnect yet presence to the mourning family. But Robin almost immediately moved on to the man next to her, who had stood to greet him. Without hesitation, Robin wrapped his arm around Keiran in bro-hug only awkward because of it's unfamiliarity. Releasing him, he clutched the older man's arm for a moment and offered in all sincerity, "I'm so sorry, mate."
Robin Ivanov

Number of posts : 428

Back to top Go down

Post by Avery Bishop Wed Jan 08, 2014 4:18 am

The door opened, revealing a tired-looking Ivanov, though Keiran couldn't bring himself to go directly up to the man. He obviously didn't know, Keiran mused, when Robin hugged him and apologized. Or if he did know, he had decided that the loss was more important. The older man was so hopeful it was the latter, but doubted it immensely.

“Um, thanks.” He nodded as they pulled back, Keiran running a hand through his hair and glancing at Mira. Had she said anything? It didn't appear so.

Upstairs, Avery was brushing through Bridget's hair with her fingers, having long since lost her ability to cry. Her eyes felt dry and itchy but the moment Mrs. Hayes had let a tear fall, Avery had been unable to care about herself or what she had done. Keiran's mum had never cried in front of Avery so the blonde was entirely unsure what to do with herself.

“How about I make us some tea, hmm?” Avery offered. “I can bring it up here if you like,” she added when she noted the woman's reluctance to head downstairs looking as torn up as she was. “We can make a morning of it. Just talking.”

“Maybe you can explain what happened with Robin.” Bridget suggested, eyeing Avery knowingly when she winced at his name.

“....If it would help.” She said finally, fighting the frown that wanted to cross its way onto her face. She stood, pressing a kiss onto Bridget's hair before closing the door behind her as she went out into the hall.

Lemon tea, she decided, would be the order of the day. It had always made Avery feel better on her duller days, and Bridget almost always had the proper fixings in the kitchen. Avery's eyes settled on the floor as she walked, trying to remember where they kept everything. It wasn't until she reached the top of the stairs that she realized something had changed. The air itself felt tense.

The living room was silent save the movie she heard playing at the bottom of the stairs. Looking up, her eyes landed directly on Robin, passing Mira and Keiran entirely. She felt like backing out like she had attempted earlier in the kitchen. Avery wanted to just run back into Bridget's room and hide, or lock herself away in the Library, pretending she just wanted something to read. The tea could wait, right? Guilt nipped at her, though, so she blinked before giving Robin a once over with her eyes to assess how he seemed to be doing.

All things considered, he looked put together. More than she did, surely, with her tear-stained cheeks and wide-with-surprise eyes. Her hand gripped the stair railing tighter in an attempt at keeping herself grounded. Tea, her mind shouted. Quite right, Avery mused. She needed something to do. But how could she get past him without someone saying something? It felt like she had been standing at the top of the stairs for an hour, not just moments.

She blinked again and it was like she could feel herself relax. Her eyes fell to the stairs before looking over at Keiran. “Lemon tea for Bridget?” She asked, her voice breaking but the tone nearly begging. He nodded stiffly before leaving the room without a word, heading to the kitchen. At least Keiran knew she was taking care of his – their? - mum rather than hiding herself away and pouting or the like.

Avery just needed to get that first foot to move. Then she could continue down the stairs and make out like she was fine. She could make up for the hitch in her breath as she'd asked for help with the tea. Keiran's eyes had flashed, catching the change. He probably knew they hadn't told Robin. No one had, she thought, or Keiran would have been bruised by now. Wouldn't he? Maybe Robin would decide it didn't matter too very much if he was still angry with her. Avery wasn't about to risk it by bringing it up right out of the gate. Her gaze moved to meet his eyes again against her will, and it was like that look made her move. Her foot lifted, taking her down to the next step. Slowly but surely she convinced herself to go the whole distance to the bottom step where she waited, gripping the rail and watching him carefully.

The moment he moved towards her, though, she inhaled sharply and audibly, instantly looking for an out. Maybe she could claim a need to go to the garage and be with Aiden. Could she handle that? Unlikely. She turned to look down the hall at the doorway, left open as if it kept him with them somehow, before returning her attention to the living room. No, it was probably safer for her sanity (though not by much) to stay put and accept whatever was headed her way.
Avery Bishop
Avery Bishop
Durmstrang Graduate
Durmstrang Graduate

Back to top Go down

Post by Robin Ivanov Sat Jan 11, 2014 11:30 pm

Robin and Keiran pulled apart and the younger man barely caught a glance between him and the blonde who still sat on the couch. He could almost tangibly feel his friend's distress over Aiden's passing and it broke his heart, as he had never seen his best friend quite so upset before. Robin made a mental note to put aside some time for a real conversation with the man later when they would have more time and privacy. But now he should really find -

"Avery."

Her named slipped out of his mouth as he caught sight of her at the top of the stairs. Quite contrary to what he had expected, Robin felt only relief upon seeing her. His remaining irritation was momentarily forgotten as she descended the stairs towards him. Guilt filled his chest, both over not seeing her and seeing the same sort of pain in her eyes that had filled Keiran's. She moved down the stairs at infuriating slow pace and almost as soon as she had reached the bottom he moved towards her.

He stopped directly before her, pausing for a millisecond at the look on her face before leaning down to give her a kiss in greeting. Before their lips could quite meet he was stopped by his wife and he immediately looked to her for some sort of explanation. His heart sunk at the rejection and he began to search her face for any signs of why - was it Aiden? her anger of the fight? Robin suddenly saw that the look of pain in her eyes wasn't just grief and he took a little step backwards, a light sting of pain in his eyes.
Robin Ivanov

Back to top Go down

Post by Avery Bishop Sun Jan 12, 2014 1:20 am

Robin was walking over before Avery could bring herself to say anything. He didn't know. If he did he wouldn't have wanted to talk to her. He wouldn't have been hugging Keiran when she peered around the corner to see who was around. Keiran had run far too fast to want anything to do with telling Robin. It made sense, though, as she had promised. Had Keiran told Millie? Bridget made it seem that way with her prodding Avery to explain what had happened.

Her name fell from his lips, almost sounding like a prayer, though Avery thought that might be going a bit too far. He looked almost blank, and Avery wondered silently if she'd ever been able to read him, truly. She didn't think so. Maybe it was more his touch that she understood. Certainly not his words. They didn't always mean what he thought or what she was sure he meant when he spoke them. For all she knew his saying her name was out of surprise at her being there or realization that he had to deal with her.

Instead, he moved towards her regardless of her surprise and gasp at his approach. It wasn't until he was standing and looking down at her that she panicked. What was he doing? He should be furious with her. Avery just knew that if he actually kissed her, she would break down. Under different circumstances, she would have thrown herself into his arms and wrapped her own around his neck. She desperately wanted to bury her face in the crook between his neck and his shoulder and just breathe him in.

But then he was leaning in and she couldn't breathe.

“No.” she whispered, turning away even as she pressed a hand against his chest to stop him. It fell almost immediately as if the contact stung. She didn't want him to think it did. “You shouldn't.”

It wasn't that she didn't want him to. It was more that he shouldn't want to at all. He certainly wouldn't want to after she explained. Avery moved up to the second step so she was looking at him from the same level (and so that there was a bit more distance between the two of them).

“You shouldn't want to kiss me,” she began, nearly tripping over the last two words. “See, last night I got.. massively drunk-” she rolled her eyes at her own stupidity, “-and was just so mad and embarrassed and... Well, I just.. I mean, Keiran was there so I knew I was going to be taken care of, you know? And he was being so nice to me.” Her voice dropped to a whisper as she blinked rapidly. She needed to get the words out. “So I know that I have to keep my promise and tell the truth. See, I don't remember much,” she admitted through blush-red cheeks and a racing heart, “but I know I promised Keiran to tell you something.”

Avery swallowed hard and forced her eyes back to his. “I promised I'd tell you that I.. I kissed him. I don't fully remember it,” she added in a rush, “but I know enough. I know he wouldn't make me promise to lie. So you shouldn't kiss me. Not because I don't want you to – because I wish...” She shook her head, “You shouldn't, because I don't deserve it.”

She wondered briefly if guilt was at all worse than how she felt right then. It would all depend on his reaction. It was entirely up to him where they went after this. If all else failed, she knew she could probably stay somewhere else. Probably not with Keiran, all things considered... But maybe Mira would invite her – she certainly wouldn't be inviting herself. Best friend or not, it wouldn't be fair. Or if nothing else came up, there was always the Leaky, as miserable as the place could be. But it was somewhere. She would just have to ignore the looks of everywho who passed who wondered why she was staying at such a place for Christmas

Her eyes jumped between his in fear, wondering if who even say anything. Maybe Robin would decide he didn't want to sit around with them. That he didn't want to be around for Christmas at all. Or maybe it would be Avery that he didn't want around. The idea made her stomach sink and turn. If the annoying stomach flipping could stop, she would be very relieved.
Avery Bishop
Avery Bishop
Durmstrang Graduate
Durmstrang Graduate

Back to top Go down

Post by Robin Ivanov Sun Jan 12, 2014 11:13 pm

As Avery spoke, Robin's eyebrows began to rumple in accusation as the distress grew on his face. She was rambling and the look of displeasure only grew on his face the longer she avoided whatever she was needing to say. And he was being so nice to me. It was then that he truly began to suspect the worst, taking a step backwards from Avery, who was still going on quite long-windedly. She didn't need to say it - he already knew. But as the words finally escaped her lips they didn't hurt any less.

I.. I kissed him.

Robin took another step or two backwards, distancing himself from Avery. The blood that had begun to boil in his veins was not directed at the woman in front of him, but rather the man he had been hugging not two minutes before. Though she had phrased her whole explanation as if she were at fault, Robin was able to read between the lines. The man had taken an already drunk woman out for more drinks, been 'so nice' to her, and she still thought she was the one who had chosen to kiss him? No, this was Hayes' doing.

Robin's twisted expression dropped off slightly as he turned around suddenly, brushing past Mira and through to the kitchen where Keiran had disappeared to. As soon as Avery was out of his sight he moved more quickly, his fists clenching as his anger completely flooded his brain, shutting off all ability to reasonably judge the situation. Robin turned the corner and spotted the older man by the stove, in some stage of pulling together drinks. Without hesitation he moved quickly at Keiran, not knowing how many rules of the Brotherhood he was breaking and not caring in the slightest.

Without taking a moment to pause, Robin raised his already clenched fist and punched Keiran cleanly in the nose, knocking his head slightly backwards from the unexpected force. He pushed Keiran up against the fridge, forearm pinning his chest and fist raised as if to hit him again. Instead of doing this, Robin spoke, his tone loud and angry without consideration for those who were grieving in the house.

"What the f*ck are you playing at? This isn't some bet. She's my wife and you don't touch her ever again, understand?" Robin pushed his arm harder against Keiran's chest, their faces within spitting distance of each other. "Do you understand me?!" Robin's fist had dropped slightly but between his heavy breathing and the slightly mad look in his eyes, there was no question that he was still willing to use it.
Robin Ivanov

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top