Practical Potions
Welcome to Potter’s Army

Welcome to Potter's Army

We have been a Harry Potter Roleplaying site since 2007. If you're an old member we hope you come check out the discord link provided below. And if you're looking for a new roleplaying site, well, we're a little inactive. But every once and a while nostalgia sets in and a few of our alumni members will revisit the old stomping grounds and post together. Remember to stay safe out there. And please feel free to drop a line whenever!

Practical Potions Li9olo10

What’s Happening?
Since every few months or so a few of our old members get the inspiration to revisit their old stomping grounds we have decided to keep PA open as a place to revisit old threads and start new ones devoid of any serious overarching plot or setting. Take this time to start any of those really weird threads you never got to make with old friends and make them now! Just remember to come say hello in the chatbox below or in the discord. Links have been provided in the "Comings and Goings" forum as well as the welcome widget above.

Practical Potions

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Practical Potions Empty Practical Potions

Post by Amelia Lyons Tue Aug 23, 2011 4:40 pm

Deep breaths. In… Out… In… Out…

I think I may faint.

If you faint, you will not only lose your job, but you will irrevocably embarrass yourself. Do you want to end up playing for the London Symphony Orchestra for the rest of your life?

That wouldn’t be so bad. I like music. And, even more so, I like not being the only thing to look at in front of an audience.

Well if you honestly want to throw away seven years of magical education to go be your husband’s social climbing pet, then go ahead and faint. Otherwise, you bloody well better breathe.

To look at her, you might never have suspected that Amelia Lyons was on the brink of whipping off her high heeled shoes and bolting from the dungeons. The only things keeping her in the room were the contract she had signed with the headmaster to teach potions for the entirety of the academic year, and her unwillingness to see the smug look on her mother’s face if she failed in the pursuit of the one defiant act she had ever made against her parents’ wishes.

Amelia had spent nearly a month building up to telling her parents about the position she had been offered at Hogwarts. She had been pulled aside at the graduation ceremony, after she had crossed the stage to receive her certificate, and, barely separated from student status, the minister and headmaster had jointly offered her the position of potions professor. Amelia had been dumbfounded by their proposition – surely they knew that speaking in front of a group was not her forte? But, wanting to be polite, Amelia had told them she would think about it.

And then, for the next month, it was all she could think about. She thought about the offer as her parents took her on a celebratory vacation to Greece. She thought about the offer as she met with the conductor of the London Symphony Orchestra and attended an extravagant banquet with the rest of the musicians. And, without fail, she lay in bed each night, thinking about what it would be like to be potions master at Hogwarts.

Eventually, after weighing all the pros and cons – by making lists, of course (OCD much?) – Amelia had come to the realization that, for the first time in her life, she knew what she wanted to do, and it didn’t coincide with what her parents expected of her. Sure, over the years, there had been fleeting moments when she had wanted to run instead of study, or stay in her room rather than attend a ball, or wear jeans rather than a skintight designer dress. But all of these had been minor desires compared to how she felt about the teaching position.

Amelia was intrinsically tied to Hogwarts; it was there that she had earned most of her success, made her parents proudest. But more than anything, Hogwarts reminded Amelia of Raoul. At home, his name was never mentioned, and all the pictures of him had been taken down. Amelia occasionally caught her father in his study with a wrinkled 4x6 photograph of his son, which he kept tucked in the very back of his desk drawer, but only once in a while, and he never shared those moments with Amelia. At Hogwarts, however, though most of the student population no longer remembered Amelia’s older brother, she felt that at least his memory wasn’t being actively hidden. And if he were ever going to return – not that Amelia dared to put much hope into such a long-shot dream – Amelia was certain Hogwarts would be where he would go first.

And so it was with unsteady conviction that Amelia had sat her parents down to tell them the news: she had accepted the position of Potions Professor at Hogwarts and contacted The Orchestra to tell them she would be withdrawing. Her mother had been furious; teaching was a job for lesser individuals, and certainly not for those with Amelia’s family connections. Anyone could teach, Antoinette said, rattling off a few of Hogwarts’ less-than-ideal candidates who had taught briefly in the past. Even knowing her mother would be furious, Amelia was having a difficult time enduring the scrutiny of the woman she had been trying to please all her life, and if it hadn’t been for her father’s calm expression and the tiniest hint of a smile on his lips, Amelia knew she probably would have caved.

“Let’s give her a chance, Antoinette,” Frederick had said calmly, after Antoinette had screeched herself into silence. Her mother hadn’t liked the idea, but her husband so rarely stepped in on these discussions, that she was forced to concede that Amelia could take the position, which consisted mostly of throwing her hands up in the air and sulking out of the room.

So now, Amelia Lyons was standing at the front of the potions classroom, looking out at the tables and stools she had been occupying less than four months ago. She had pulled her long, red hair into a chignon at the back of her head and wore a charcoal grey suit with an ivory shell and simple necklace. It was simple, but flattering, and Amelia hoped that her lack of robes would not get her into trouble. She had been far too nervous to wear the heavy material, which she would have sweat through in a matter of minutes. On the lapel of her suit, she had pinned the Ravenclaw crest, representing the House from which she had graduated, and was now head. She was leaning against the same desk that Headmaster Doyle had always favored, where he spouted his wry comments and belittled his students.

The students Amelia would face were just another on her long list of concerns this morning. Many of them would be able to identify Amelia, if not know her personally. She had never had many friends at Hogwarts, but she did interact sporadically with some of her younger peers, who would now be her students. She didn’t know what kind of reaction she would get from those students who knew her only as “The Ice Queen”, and she had even less of a chance of predicting how those few students who knew her better would react.

Ahem, Amelia’s subconscious interrupted as the tension associated with all these thoughts started to make the redhead feel as though one of her lungs had collapsed.

Oh, right. Breathe.
Amelia Lyons
Amelia Lyons
Ravenclaw Graduate
Ravenclaw Graduate

Number of posts : 1645
Special Abilities : Occlumens, Apparation

Back to top Go down

Practical Potions Empty Re: Practical Potions

Post by Ambrosa Lunafiore Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:05 pm

Taking her school timetable while breakfast in the morning, made Ambrosa smile. Lessons... finally. It was great to know that in less then an hour she was going to walk in a classroom and officialy start her last year in Hogwarts school of witchkraft and wizardy. The first class she was suppoused to have that day - Potions. The rumour had it that they had a new teacher, but Ambrosa couldn't find out who it was. Last night she just unpacked and threw herself in her bed for a nice portion of sleep... she didn't keep herself awake to talk to the other girls in her room.

About five minutes before the bell was suppoused to ring, Ambrosa made her way to the Dungeons. She was wearing the classical Hogwarts black robes, her curly hair was pulled up in a high ponytail and her bag full of different books was swinging over her shoulder. Her prefect crest was resting on her chest as her footsteps echoed in the long hall. Ambrosa walked down the long corridore until she reached the potions classroom door. She pulled it open to find only the knew teacher sitting there. Am gasped. Amelia? a girl who just finished Hogwarts last year, a fellow ravenclaw and a friend of Ambrosas, Amelia Lyons was sitting there. Or should I say Professor Lyons? Am asked as she walked in the room and to the front row. She left her bag on her desk and pulled out her books, ink and a quill. Don't be nervous. You will be great. Proffesor. Ambrosa added with a smile looking at her new potions teacher.
Ambrosa Lunafiore
Ambrosa Lunafiore

Number of posts : 66

Back to top Go down

Post by Amelia Lyons Wed Aug 24, 2011 12:59 am

The first girl to enter the classroom was someone Amelia knew, but at least not someone with whom she had too much history. Ambrosa was a year younger than her in school, and Amelia had spoken to her a handful of times in the common room or asked her to pass something at the dinner table. As was unavoidable, Ambrosa recognized her immediately, and Amelia felt a fleeting moment of inexplicable embarrassment at the younger girl's reaction. But after a moment of recovery, she was able to drag a few words out of her throat.

"Professor Lyons is likely the means of address that the administration would prefer," Amelia responded, sounding overly formal even to herself, "But I anticipate that many of my new students will have trouble making the adjustment, so at least for a while, Amelia will be acceptable."

Amelia tried to smile at her student's reassurances, but it just reinforced to her how little Ambrosa knew about her. Anyone that knew Amelia well (that list was disparagingly short) knew that there was no use in telling her not to be nervous; nervous was basically her only setting in socially motivated situations. It was how she handled that nervousness that ultimately determined how things worked out for her, though many times, it didn't turn out so well.

"Um... thank you," Amelia managed, trying to smile gratefully, but not quite managing complete sincerity.
Amelia Lyons
Amelia Lyons
Ravenclaw Graduate
Ravenclaw Graduate

Back to top Go down

Post by Edgar Albert Doyle Wed Aug 24, 2011 10:51 pm

''You're welcome, Lyons'', Doyle said upon entering the classroom. It was the start of the term and although he would usually spend that day sleeping in his office or watching television, Doyle had decided to check up on his former pupil, a very talented girl capable of teaching his subject and becoming a Master at it in due time. Amelia Lyons was a person he had grown fond of and he was absolutely sure she could a more than competent replacement, which is the only reason he had given up his post of Potions master. He limped down to his former classroom, now a lot cleaner than during his tenure, and saw his former pupil.

''You're not wearing a robe, Lyons! Brilliant!, he ejaculated as he limped through the desks, stopping right in front of her, ignoring the girl in the classroom. ''So, it is true then! It is lovely to see you back here, Lyons. I shall stay here until this class, I shan't interfere, just to keep an eye on the vultures that plan on causing you trouble. You keep working as if I didn't exist!'', he said and jumped on her desk.
Edgar Albert Doyle
Edgar Albert Doyle

Number of posts : 190
Special Abilities : Apparation, Occlumency, Legilimency, Wandless Magic, Non-verbal Magic
Occupation : Owner of Slugs & Jiggers; Potions Master at Hogwarts

Back to top Go down

Post by Anthony Sanguini Sat Aug 27, 2011 1:11 am

Chris had came in expecting a new potions teacher, considering the fact that she had heard the news. She walked into the quiet classroom and saw Doyle sitting on the desk. She rolled her eyes, thinking that he was still the Professor but then saw behind him a familiar looking girl. Chris had known she had seen this girl before but just couldn't get it on her tongue. Without even asking who she was, Chris took a seat in the second row. She reached into her bag and took out her books and quill ready for whatever this girl had in mind.
Anthony Sanguini

Number of posts : 51

Back to top Go down

Post by Keith Nicholas Sat Aug 27, 2011 9:35 pm

(Wrong thread. I feel rather stupid))

Last edited by Keith Nicholas on Sun Aug 28, 2011 1:47 am; edited 1 time in total
Keith Nicholas

Number of posts : 986

Back to top Go down

Post by Pricilla Cuffe Sun Aug 28, 2011 1:37 am

Cilla glided into the room, glancing around briefly. Old student teaching her old school friends, bad choice on her part, didn't the school realize that right after Hogwarts, it was always a bad idea to employ a recent graduate, the chances of her not being professional with her students, and unconsciously helping her friends more then the class as a group was high, even if it wasn't on purpose, it would just be like that because she knew people at the school still. Not to mention the fact that people would take them knowing the teacher as an opportunity to slack off, even if the teacher was a good one, it was quite obvious she should have taken a few years off before teaching, for then it would be easier to keep her mind open and not know just about everyone in the classes she taught.

Cilla glided across the room and sat down as gracefully as possible with her large bag. Pushing her long hair out of her face, she glanced at the Headmaster in the room. Maybe a good idea, just to make sure she was following protocol, it appeared that some of the students were already forgetting their place as student, and her as teacher. Besides, she looked so young, she'd never stand out and have the authority over them that she needed. And who would want to teach at Hogwarts anyway? Cilla was going to design merchandise for Wizards to wear, fashion for the parts of the world that had none. She would be famous! Stores in Diagon Alley, Hosmeade, and every other major wizarding town in the world! She could just see it now! But... the site of her potions dungeon wiped that happy thought from her mind. She pulled out her book, and crossed her legs, before uncorking her ink, and pulling out her favorite quill, this would be... interesting.
Pricilla Cuffe
Pricilla Cuffe

Number of posts : 29

Back to top Go down

Post by Amelia Lyons Sun Aug 28, 2011 3:21 am

((@ Keith: That’s fine. You can just move your post to the OWL level course and edit it for that scene.))

There was nothing like Headmaster Doyle’s voice to make Amelia feel like a student all over again. His words of welcome – spoken as though he had been a part of the conversation all along – echoed from the back of the classroom, and Amelia found herself paling under the pressure of having the headmaster in her classroom on the very first day.

His words were meant to be reassuring, Amelia knew, but even as he commented positively on her attire, Amelia felt self-conscious about it. She had intentionally chosen not to wear robes as a means of distinguishing herself from the students she would now be teaching, but Doyle seemed to regard it as a form of rebellion, which Amelia hadn’t even considered. Now she was second-guessing even her wardrobe…

“Um… right, thank you,” Amelia mumbled, feeling like she was under extreme scrutiny now that the headmaster had closed the gap between them and taken the liberty of swinging himself onto his former, and her current, desk. The prospect of teaching as though he wasn’t even there was actually laughable to Amelia, which explained her nervous laughter as two more students, both Slytherin, entered the room. Amelia recognized the girls from having seen them walking the halls of Hogwarts, both of them belonging to a social class to which Amelia belonged by name but not by personality, so they had never interacted.

With a quick scan around the room and to the door, Amelia looked down at the tiny face of the gold watch on her wrist and, as the last second ticked away, realized that it was officially time for her to begin the lesson.

“Good morning,” Amelia said after clearing her throat several times to ensure the words would actually come out when she attempted them. She was pointedly not utilizing her peripheral vision, trying to ignore the headmaster as much was actually possible, and even made a point to step forward so he would be out of her sight altogether.

“As I’m aware you all are likely to know who I am, I won’t waste much time with introductions. My name is Amelia Lyons, and as you’ve all undoubtedly deduced, I have accepted the position of Potions Mistress here at Hogwarts School.”

“Some of you may already be familiar with me from our time at Hogwarts. Others among you may not even know we once shared these hallways,” Amelia added, recognizing full well that her efforts to remain a wallflower while at Hogwarts would have paid off in the case of some of her new students.

“For those of you who know me, I will not assume I can change the way any of you think of me – becoming a professor does not automatically raise one’s status with their former peers – but I do expect that you will treat me with the respect worthy of my role as your professor. Anyone choosing not to do so at any point in the semester will be asked to leave and receive an incomplete for that day’s work. In return, I will respect you as an autonomous student who is electing to take a NEWT level course, in which I hope you will learn something of value.

“Any questions?” Amelia asked, her heart thumping wildly in her chest, but focusing hard on not letting that show. She had just gotten through the speech she had been working on memorizing and delivering for the past four weeks. And it had only filled approximately 30 seconds of the total class time. But at least she had made it through. Perhaps not sounding entirely human – if you say anything enough times it starts to sound robotic – but she had said her peace, and was still in one piece.

Small victories, Amelia’s subconscious reminded her, probing her onward with the lesson.

“Today’s lesson,” the new professor continued, glancing down at a sheet of notes she had composed for today’s work, “Will focus on no potion in particular. Instead, I would like to work from a level which is perhaps more mundane, but absolutely fundamental to your success as a student of potions. We are going to be discussing the ingredients themselves.”

“To begin, can someone please tell me one potion ingredient that is known to have healing qualities?” Amelia inquired, trying not to look too long or too closely at any one student, lest her nerves completely get the best of her. She hadn’t stuttered outwardly yet, but her voice was becoming tighter the longer she had to talk under such harsh scrutiny.

((Note: The answer to this question may be found in some index online, or can be composed of knowledge you may have from your own life about certain plants, herbs, or other such things that have medicinal qualities. Creativity and accuracy will be rewarded equally.))
Amelia Lyons
Amelia Lyons
Ravenclaw Graduate
Ravenclaw Graduate

Back to top Go down

Post by Ambrosa Lunafiore Sun Aug 28, 2011 8:42 am

Ambrosa raised her eyebrows slightly as Headmaster Doyle entered the room. Well now there was no way that the new professor could relax... Who could, when the person who thought Potions before you and then turned headmaster? Ambrosa opened her ink and put her quill, pargement and book on the side of her desk. Then she rested her chin on her hand and waited until the other students came in the classroom. The next two girls were both Slytherins - Christina and Pricilla. Ambrosa knew them from the hallways and a couple of classes, but she never really liked them... They were quite different from each other.

But Ambrosa knew what the girls were thinking... Am herself was quite surprised that Amelia Lyons came back already... Ambrosa really hoped that everyone were going to give her a break and not go all, you were where we are last year... That would probably be the worst thing... Professor Lyons voice broke Ambrosa's thoughts off and she looked up. As the speech was over Ambrosa smiled lightly. She really did hope that Amelia would have nice time as a professor... Ambrosa herself would love to try to teach someday... As the question was asked, Ambrosa took a moment to think about it... There really were two that came to her mind instantly. Well, first Dittany, which is know for healing wounds... Well actually it just grows skin over the wound... And then maybe the Bach Flower, but that one isn't for healing wounds. It is more of a plant which helps with stress and depression. Ambrosa hoped that she remembered everything that she read right....
Ambrosa Lunafiore
Ambrosa Lunafiore

Number of posts : 66

Back to top Go down

Post by Amelia Lyons Sun Aug 28, 2011 2:11 pm

When Ambrosa answered the question she had posed to the class, Amelia let out the breath she hadn’t even known she’d been holding. If Amelia had been a student in the class, she would have thought the only response to a question was to answer it as politely and completely as possible, but from having experienced her peers respond differently, she had known there was potential for her question to be ignored, mocked, or satirized by her students. Nodding appreciatively, Amelia reminded herself to smile as she congratulated the Ravenclaw girl.

“Well done, Miss Lunafiore,” the new professor responded, keeping to the formal form of address to convey respect, “Dittany and Bach Flower are both excellent examples of potion ingredients that have healing qualities. Five points to Ravenclaw.”

Okay, not too bad. Let’s try another one…

“What about ingredients that are known to have a calming effect? These might be used in Draughts of Peace or for potions intended to be used prior to major medical procedures.”

--------------
Ravenclaw: 5 points
Slytherin:
Gryffindor:
Hufflepuff:
Amelia Lyons
Amelia Lyons
Ravenclaw Graduate
Ravenclaw Graduate

Back to top Go down