Tales of Intrigue - Page 2
Welcome to Potter’s Army

Welcome to Potter's Army

We have been a Harry Potter Roleplaying site since 2007. If you're an old member we hope you come check out the discord link provided below. And if you're looking for a new roleplaying site, well, we're a little inactive. But every once and a while nostalgia sets in and a few of our alumni members will revisit the old stomping grounds and post together. Remember to stay safe out there. And please feel free to drop a line whenever!

Tales of Intrigue  - Page 2 Li9olo10

What’s Happening?
Since every few months or so a few of our old members get the inspiration to revisit their old stomping grounds we have decided to keep PA open as a place to revisit old threads and start new ones devoid of any serious overarching plot or setting. Take this time to start any of those really weird threads you never got to make with old friends and make them now! Just remember to come say hello in the chatbox below or in the discord. Links have been provided in the "Comings and Goings" forum as well as the welcome widget above.

Tales of Intrigue

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Tales of Intrigue  - Page 2 Empty Re: Tales of Intrigue

Post by Elijah Krum Sat Jul 02, 2011 3:08 am

The world was colder than it had been before Elijah had left earlier that evening. He released Rise’s hand and shrugged his jacket on, zipping it up before dropping his bag back onto his shoulder and burying his hands into his pocket. Elijah gave a shuddering sigh and watched as his breath became visible before him. His lips twitched upwards and his brought them together once more, curling in on himself as Rise took him through the back streets of London. He had a vague idea of where they were but he had no clue where they were headed. Elijah couldn’t help but look at the old redbrick buildings that had darkened with time and weathering. His foot ended up in a puddle soon enough and Elijah gave a gasp, jumping out of the water before it had a chance to soak into the canvas of his Converse. He jogged after Rise, fighting to keep up with her through his distraction, and managed to come up behind her as they delved into the dingiest of places he’d seen in a while.

He shrank further in on himself, his eyes darting about the alley, taking in the scenes. He paused as eyes appeared behind one of the boarded up windows. Elijah took a step towards it and met the hazel gaze of the woman behind. He heard her gasp and he moved to say something to her but Rise’s voice distracted him. He looked up at her but when he turned back to the window, the woman was gone. Elijah sucked in a breath and hurried up the alley, away from the drug dealers that had emerged seemingly from nowhere. Elijah didn’t know what they were selling – whatever it was though...I bet they shifted a lot of it. It reminded him of Romania almost; where the homeless spent the little money they earned to feed the drug addiction that was created due to their desperate attempts to ward off hunger pangs.

Elijah made it to Rise just as the boy, thrown from his home, scrambled to his feet. Elijah felt his blood go cold in his veins and he looked at Rise questioningly. He watched as she used sign language with the boy. Elijah bit his lip. He could read a little bit of Braille – though only the first few verses of the bible – and he could just about sign his name but that was about it. He was baffled once again by the way such a language worked. He loved it. Elijah bit his lip when Rise ‘translated’ and Elijah’s face broadened into a smile. He cleared his throat and ran a hand through his hair before squatting down in front of the boy.

Elijah’s hands went to his bag and he retrieved his sketch book from it. He flipped through it until he came to sketch of London’s skyline. He tore it from the book and held it out for the boy to take. Elijah smiled a little and put his sketch book back in his bag. He felt as if he should do something about the environment those children were in. He felt responsible – though why he did not know. No child – wizard or otherwise – should have had to deal with that, and the way the boy shivered was evidence of his neglect. The desire to fix it was great and once again, Elijah’s need to fix someone else over himself flared and he found himself shrugging off his jacket, despite his own chill. He slipped it around the boy’s shoulders and caught his gaze. He was careful with the way his mouth moved with these next words and he pulled the jacket around the boy.

“Keep it,” he told him. “Keep both.” He added, tapping the sheet of paper.
Elijah Krum
Elijah Krum
Sixth Year Slytherin
Sixth Year Slytherin

Number of posts : 4833
Special Abilities : Occlumens, Parseltongue, Animagus
Occupation : Owner of Eli's Fine Dining, Artist, Deputy Minister of Magic

Back to top Go down

Post by Risé Lehmberg Sat Jul 02, 2011 3:31 am

Rise smiled at the interaction between the boy and Elijah. She had known him for a while, but not many people knew him. He was in her house, and she hadn't seen him for a while, having not gone to school since before Christmas, seeing as she had been kidnapped. She missed the place.. a lot. Rise was smiling sadly, her eyes on the two, and then watched as the boy grinned at Elijah, and being careful with the picture, he put it under one arm, and signed something to Elijah. Rise came up quickly and translated. "He said thanks.. and.. and.. it was nice to meet you.." Rise said slowly, her eyes darting to the ground. "He says congrats on your upcoming wedding..." She smiled slightly and then looked up one last time. "And that his name is Brian.." She grinned and then watched as he held up the paper, and then glanced back at his house. Rise signed to him "Do you have anywhere to go tonight?" The boy looked at her, and then sighed, and signed back. "Yeah.. Mom got a new apartment.. I'll go there." Rise nodded and smiled glancing at Elijah. "Come on.." she said to him softly, and led the way down the street again.

"He's has a mom that lets him stay with her... she just got a new apartment.. so he'll be okay.. in case you were wondering..." She said, wrapping her arms around herself, and walking down the street. "I didn't think it would rain.." she muttered, glancing up at the sky. Rise sighed, and then looked back at Elijah. "You see what you could do Elijah.. you could.. put the money that you spend on alcohol.. and cigarettes, and everything... you could get kids like this out of homes like those.. you could.. you could help them.. instead of drowning in self pity.. there is so much we could do instead of whining... we could look at the bigger picture.. little girls.. little boys.. younger then that.. lost.. alone... with parents who hate them.. for no reason.. and they get forgotten.. overshadowed by their wonderful siblings.. wonderful in every way.. and you are just sitting in the background, watching as your family slowly forgets you, leaving you alone.. with no one but a cat for company.." Rise trailed off, her eyes stinging with tears as she crossed her arms over her chest and walked more briskly down the street.

"It's seeing these kind of places.. meeting people like Brian.. being out here and experiencing it.. knowing what it's like to be treated like a servant.. a dog.. a monster.. knowing that.. that makes me want to help these people.. makes me want to help people like me.. makes me want to help you.. because if we just.. for once, stopped caring about ourselves.. and looked at the world through different eyes.. we could see... we could see that there is so much more then us.. no matter how low we get.. someone has had it tougher.." She said and felt her tears pricking her eyes more, and she had to wipe them away with the back of her arm. "It might feel hard.. in our lives.. with our own stuff happening... but.. but we have to stop and think about it for once.. and forget our own pain.. and give back.. help others.. sometimes it's the only way to heal." She said and glanced up at Elijah, knowing her eyes were red and puffy, and her nose was probably running too, but she didn't really care, she had to make him see.. had to make him realize that he had something a lot of people didn't have.. money, and he could make someone's life a success with it. Even if that someone wasn't his daughter.
Risé Lehmberg
Risé Lehmberg

Number of posts : 313

Back to top Go down

Post by Elijah Krum Sun Jul 03, 2011 2:51 am

The lives of children should have been simple. They should have been able to go on without worry. This poor boy was...he was...his life was over complicated. Elijah didn’t want to walk away from this place. He wanted to save every one of those children. He wanted to pluck them out of the place that had become their hell. He didn’t know how they could stay there. He didn’t know why they didn’t just run away.

Like you? His subconscious asked. You don’t want them to end up like you, Elijah...do you? Elijah shook his head and ran a hand through his hair before rising to his feet. He ruffled the boy’s hair with his other hadn and looked at Rise as she explained that he would have somewhere to lay his head that night. He smiled at the boy and looked back at Rise before shrugging his shoulders.

“It’s a coping mechanism for when times get tough. I .... I’ve been clean for a few weeks.” He admitted. “These kids...why do you leave them here? Why are you a ghost? Take them.” That had always been his philosophy. If he could fix something...he’d do it – he didn’t think about it. “That boy – you’ve left him there? He’s got to go through this hell hole of a city to find his mum’s flat....what if he doesn’t get there? What...” Elijah didn’t want to think of the consequences. “My parents hated me – I’m convinced of that – but I’m not in this state. I’ve lived through the looks of disdain. Why...why would...can we go back? We should at least walk him up there – or pay for a taxi or something.”

Elijah fumbled with his wallet and turned, opening it up and ripping from it a couple of twenty-pound notes. He grabbed Rise’s wrist and pulled her back down the road. “Come on. Where was he? We’re not leaving him there. We’re not leaving any of them there.”
Elijah Krum
Elijah Krum
Sixth Year Slytherin
Sixth Year Slytherin

Back to top Go down

Post by Risé Lehmberg Sun Jul 03, 2011 3:15 am

Rise watched the look of torment on Elijah's face, and then she sighed, he didn't get it... she had to tell him, but it would probably hurt.. walking away from these kids, it hurt Rise every time she came here to walk away from the kids.. but, there was something about them, that told her that they didn't need her help, it was a way of growing up, a sense of pride they all had, that these kids learned earlier then the rest of them. What she wasn't expecting though, was for Elijah to grab her wrist, and start to pull her back towards the homes. "Elijah.. Elijah stop!" Rise said and jogged so she was standing right in front of him, then stopped.

"These kids.. they... they are different then the rest of us alright? If you go in there.. and try and take them out of here.. they won't like you for it.. they will hate you for it! Their parents might hate them.. but they love them.. they.. they feel the need to protect their parents, and they hate people like you.. most of them.. I was happy it was Brian who came out.. because he doesn't hate people like you... he.. he... he's a strong kid Elijah.. and every kid learns how to grow up sooner or later, sometimes.. it's sooner rather then later.. but if you look at them, they are happy with what they get, sometimes their lives aren't to bad... sometimes, their parents aren't drunk, or high, or gone.. they are loving, caring people then.. and that's what keeps these kids here.. that's what keeps them going... their own, true parents.." She said putting her hands on Elijah's shoulders, and looking him in the eye.

"Elijah.. there are people we can not help, that don't want our help, sometimes it's a form of pride, sometimes it's just their way of living, but Brian? He knows where his mother lives.. she comes here every day to help him in his home... if you really want to help these kids? Go work at the Ministry... it's the MINISTRY who put these kids here Elijah, not their own choice, not their parent's choice, the ministry.. because these are wizard children.. wizard children.. and wizard parents who have a right to see their children because of what the MINISTRY deemed fit.. it's their fault people like us aren't loved when we are supposed to be! It's their fault!" She said, tears brimming in her eyes again.

"These kids though.. they are different... even though the ministry places them here.. they.. they are more grown up then anyone else I know.. they are adults in a kid's body.. sure they didn't get spoiled rotten as a child.. sure they didn't get everything they wanted.. but they got just enough of what YOU are looking for Elijah.. they got the love they need, let it be from the ghost that passes through their town every night.." Rise pointed a finger at her own chest. "Or from the parents who throw them out of the house when they get annoyed with them." She pointed at one of the houses, that had only one light on, and a silhouette of a man in it. "Elijah.. we can't fix everyone in the world.. not like that.. not like how you want to, there are other things you do.. you don't take them by force.. you can't persuade them.. they have to do what's best for them, on their own free will.. or else they will never learn how to take care of themselves.. if they grow up pampered and spoiled their entire childhood.. they will never be able to step out into the world.. and.. and.. grow up!" Rise was glaring at Elijah now, her finger pointed into his chest, small tears in her eyes, surprised at how much they compared in height, when before she had felt so small next to him, but standing up straight, staring him down.. she was just about his height.
Risé Lehmberg
Risé Lehmberg

Back to top Go down

Post by Elijah Krum Mon Jul 04, 2011 2:43 am

Rise’s words quickly morphed from persuasion into a rant directed at him and Elijah clenched his fists. How could she expect anyone to leave this? Why would she want to leave this? They were living in poverty. Elijah didn’t know how this built character or anything of the like. She was a fool if she thought that this was doing any of them any good. They were children. They needed to be children. They needed to be taken from these surroundings and encouraged to live through their childhoods without fear of abuse or anything of the like. Elijah didn’t know how she could stand there and tell him that they loved their children. How could she do that after trying to make an example of them? She wanted him to see them as impoverished? She didn’t have to try particularly hard because they were impoverished and Elijah wasn’t about to work for the Ministry to get them out of that.

“How warped are your perceptions of what love is?” Elijah hissed. “How can you stand there and say they get love from the people that show them disdain? They don’t know any different, Rise, so how can they be happy? Their love for their parents is blind then - clearly! This is not fair. We can’t just walk through their lives, the shining examples of what they can never achieve. You just can’t walk away from this! The Ministry don’t care! It’s up to those of us with half a brain and the balls to take these kids out of this shit and put them somewhere where they’re happy. Being spoilt is nothing less than they deserve! They’re little people that don’t have a hope in hell if all that happens is they end up here every summer – if they endure the abuse every summer. You’re just as bad if you walk away. Love doesn’t come from strangers Rise...it comes from those who care about you.”

And here he was, preaching about something he claimed to not know how to grasp. He didn’t understand it as well as he perhaps should have done but this wasn’t a place where love could flourish. This was poverty. This was hate. This was where Dark Wizards could flourish in desperate children looking for a way out. He lifted his hand up and produced the twenty pound notes again.

“Regardless of what he spends it on – that child is getting this cash. Go and get him, Rise.”
Elijah Krum
Elijah Krum
Sixth Year Slytherin
Sixth Year Slytherin

Back to top Go down

Post by Risé Lehmberg Mon Jul 04, 2011 3:02 am

"You don't get it!" Rise said, angrily. "Yes, this is all they've ever felt this.. this love! But to them, it's all they need! They won't take it from you! You're.. you're.. some strange man! They probably think you want to do them! That's what happens here! They won't take your money Elijah Krum! You can't help them! Stop and think about it! London.. it's one town.. are you seriously that blinded to think that maybe this is the only place where bad things happen? You can't just come in here and yank them out of the only home they've ever loved! Krum! Look at yourself! Just stop for one bloody moment and look at yourself!" She said angrily, staring at him. "Listen to your words, listen to what you say! YOU understand what love is.. and these children, they think they do too! Your kind of love is different from theirs!" Rise had tears in her eyes still, and she had to hastily wipe them away, realizing she was making herself float, in her anger, she closed her eyes and took a deep breath, relaxing for a second, and she settled to the ground, now quite a bit shorter then him, but still, able to see into his eyes.

"Do you really want to help these children? Do you actually want to set your mind to helping people like this! Then get your bloody head out of your arse, and open your eyes for a change! Stop thinking about YOUR problems, and look around you! People have problems! But yanking them out of their home isn't going to solve it! You need to petition, work.. raise money.. donate money.. and do things that will get these children out of here, legally! These children.. they love their parents.. they don't want to leave them.. you may not understand it.. but they do.. it's all they have, and some stranger coming in and tearing them away from the only ones they love, isn't going to save their lives! It will worse it!" She said and stomped her foot. "They will see you as an enemy, do you wanna know why I know? I TRIED IT ELIJAH KRUM! I TRIED to take Brian out of here.. I tried to bring him to my home, to give him a nice comfortable home, with love, and affection.. and he ran away! He came back here.. he feels like he needs to protect his father.. from himself.. he fears for his family.. he needs to be here.. I tried to help him Elijah.. I did." Rise let her head fall, her hands still holding onto Elijah's shoulders, tears dripping down her cheeks.

"You may not know it.. but I come here often.. often enough to see the way these kids live their lives... and often enough to slip them money.. when I can spare it.. Brian? He has a twenty pound note in his pocket.. why? Because when we do our handshake.. I slip it in there.. he knows I do it.. but it's so subtle.. it's like a way to give him the help he needs, without scaring him.. or forcing it upon him uncomfortably, because obviously I already tried that. I give him money.. and I come here often to give him love... and that's what he needs Elijah.. if you want to help the others? Be their friend.. not their father, be there FOR them, instead of forcing them to live the life you want them to live, because not everyone wants that life.." She said and finally looked back up at him, wiping the tears from her face. "Don't do what you want to do.. there are other ways to solve it.. and taking these children out of here isn't that way... Brian is long gone in a cab two blocks from here, and the cab driver knows where his mom is.. and he will take him to her.. why do I know that? I follow him sometimes.. and make sure THAT cabby is there to pick him up.. and take him home, I may look like a stranger, but I am not Elijah Krum! So don't you dare say otherwise!" She growled angrily, and finally stepped back from him.

But when she did, she tripped on the curb, and fell over, landing in a puddle, and just as she landed, the sky opened up a torrent of rain on them both, Rise looking up at Elijah from the ground, tear tracks still showing on her face, which was slowly getting soaked with rain.
Risé Lehmberg
Risé Lehmberg

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top