Damon's Class Guide
Welcome to Potter’s Army

Welcome to Potter's Army

We have been a Harry Potter Roleplaying site since 2007. If you're an old member we hope you come check out the discord link provided below. And if you're looking for a new roleplaying site, well, we're a little inactive. But every once and a while nostalgia sets in and a few of our alumni members will revisit the old stomping grounds and post together. Remember to stay safe out there. And please feel free to drop a line whenever!

Damon's Class Guide Li9olo10

What’s Happening?
Since every few months or so a few of our old members get the inspiration to revisit their old stomping grounds we have decided to keep PA open as a place to revisit old threads and start new ones devoid of any serious overarching plot or setting. Take this time to start any of those really weird threads you never got to make with old friends and make them now! Just remember to come say hello in the chatbox below or in the discord. Links have been provided in the "Comings and Goings" forum as well as the welcome widget above.

Damon's Class Guide

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Damon's Class Guide Empty Damon's Class Guide

Post by Damon Ambrojze Thu Apr 14, 2011 5:52 am

Hello Hogwarts students! I am your new Charms Professor, at least until I get replaced (:

Yes, I am a vampire. No, you don't know that.

The following was written by Sarah Carney and can be found on Thrive.

Role-Playing [in] Classes: You Can Do It

1. Interact All the Time

Interact with another character in every single post you make. And interact meaningfully. I see many class threads where each post is a single student going about their work without speaking to another soul. Role-playing class threads should not be as boring as real school. Collaborate with other students. Ask the professor questions. Get off task. Say hello to friends. Ask if you can sit there. Come to class late. Try and budge in on those cliquey Ravenclaws and their discussion. Muster up the courage to sit next to the kid you’ve got a crush on. Interact with at least one character in every single post you make. (It doesn’t hurt at all to PM the other writer. Even diligent readers might miss your cue.)

2. Use Class Threads to Further Your Own Plots

Class is a day in the life of your character. Use that time in their life to continue and enrich the plots that you’re already working on. If your character has been planning some mischief, give your mates a psst to remind them of that meet up tonight. Got some romance brewing? Stoke the awkward. Stoke it. Whatever juiciness your character is involved in outside of class, bring it right into Herbology. If we make classrooms a staging ground for real plot, class threads become the place to be. They become just as exciting as the rest of our writing.

3. Professors: Have Some Style

If I might wax nostalgic, the professors in the books were all really strange. Professor Snape was just always such an asshole. Professor McGongal was strict. Professor Trelawney was flighty. Really color your classes with your professor’s style. Let your professor’s style touch everything. How does class begin? One professor at Absit Omen locks his door when the bell rings – there are no tardies in that class. Another professor I can remember considered it a loss if he didn’t make a student cry on the first day. Your class should not follow a standard format. Your professor need not be predictable, organized or fair.

4. Students: Cause Disruption

Make your professors acknowledge you. Demand their presence by demanding their attention. You don’t need to be a trouble maker to cause some disruption. Wands slip and spells misfire. You’ve lost your rat. You’re sick from lunch. Perhaps you have a thousand questions. Perhaps you can absolutely work with no one else but your best friend. Perhaps you are a trouble-maker whose disruption options are nearly endless. Make each class something to write home about. Do not wait passively for your professor to entertain you. I bold: Do not wait passively for your professor to entertain you. Do not worry about their plans for the session. It is class. It is, by its nature, open.

5. Don’t Just Respond – Create!

This goes for every role-playing thread. There is not a single thread where this is not true. Each an every writer shares an equal responsibility for where the plot goes. This is especially true in class threads. All writers are equal and so no character should be passively responding to the class going on around them. Your professor and fellow students are writing with you, not at you. Your post should contain reactions to what has just occurred, and then, most importantly, new action! New action for others to respond to. And don’t forget number 1: Interact! Your new action should include others. Create plot by doing things. It seems like a basic idea at the foot of all role-playing – and it is. Always, always take the opportunity of every post to add something new to the plot in your thread.

Last edited by Damon Ambrojze on Wed May 11, 2011 11:41 pm; edited 3 times in total
Damon Ambrojze
Damon Ambrojze

Number of posts : 122

Back to top Go down

Damon's Class Guide Empty Re: Damon's Class Guide

Post by Damon Ambrojze Thu Apr 14, 2011 6:28 am

What is required of you in Charms

Turning up to the classroom does not count as attendance of this class. To be considered in attendance, you must post at least once engaging in the activity the class is doing for that day. Or, you can post avoiding the activity, or falling asleep, or whatever your character does in class. My point is that writing "Pansy walked into charms and waited for the class to begin" does not count as attending.

Mistakes are ENCOURAGED in charms classes. Everyone is not Hermione Granger.

Humour is also encouraged, as reading a dozen posts about characters doing the same thing gets quickly boring.

Please attempt to keep your replies NO LONGER than 500 words long. This is approximately one A4 page; plenty of room to get your point across.

House Points

House points are entirely in character. Damon is highly prejudiced towards Hufflepuff; don't take it personally.

You can gain points for good work and occasionally good behaviour, and lose them for just about anything Damon feels like.
Damon Ambrojze
Damon Ambrojze

Back to top Go down

Damon's Class Guide Empty Re: Damon's Class Guide

Post by Damon Ambrojze Thu May 19, 2011 10:02 pm

If you have read this class guide, please insert the following above your first post in the next charms lesson:

I, <character name>, have read and understand the Charms Class Guide
Damon Ambrojze
Damon Ambrojze

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top