The First Task
Welcome to Potter’s Army

Welcome to Potter's Army

We have been a Harry Potter Roleplaying site since 2007. If you're an old member we hope you come check out the discord link provided below. And if you're looking for a new roleplaying site, well, we're a little inactive. But every once and a while nostalgia sets in and a few of our alumni members will revisit the old stomping grounds and post together. Remember to stay safe out there. And please feel free to drop a line whenever!

The First Task Li9olo10

What’s Happening?
Since every few months or so a few of our old members get the inspiration to revisit their old stomping grounds we have decided to keep PA open as a place to revisit old threads and start new ones devoid of any serious overarching plot or setting. Take this time to start any of those really weird threads you never got to make with old friends and make them now! Just remember to come say hello in the chatbox below or in the discord. Links have been provided in the "Comings and Goings" forum as well as the welcome widget above.

The First Task

View previous topic View next topic Go down

The First Task Empty The First Task

Post by Khaat Lupin Thu Nov 25, 2010 12:27 pm

Khaat held the gold gilded tray that held eight crystal champagne flutes that were filled with the celebratory libation they were using to toast the beginning of the first task. The drink, like champagne, was effervescent, but unlike champagne, this drink was an elegant ruby red that sparkled and glowed. It was a special beverage called Phoenix Fire and was made with the juices of blood oranges, lemons, and cranberries along with a blend of select spices. It was reserved to be shared only on the most auspicious of occasions in the wizarding world. She waited until the champions and their headmasters had arrived in the champions’ tent.

“Good afternoon, Judges,” Khaat said, looking at the headmasters and Jess Potter. The four would serve as judges for the tournament, in addition to her. “Good afternoon, Champions,” she smiled, turning her attention to the young women. She saw their eagerness, their excitement, and their anxiety. It was understandable. All the training and ceremony came down to this moment, and a great deal of responsibility rested on their young shoulders.

“Welcome to the first task of the Triwizard’s Cup,” Khaat continued. “Tradition dictates that the tasks are designed to test your wit, your strength, your endurance, and your skills. If you use your abilities to your utmost, you may find you survive. We wish you well. You are permitted your wand and nothing else. Anything else you need will be offered to you along the way if you are clever enough to find it. You will notice that you have not been given a means of exiting the task prematurely. That is because there is one way to end the task and one way only. You must complete it. One of the most important things you will need to decide along the way is this: Which is more deadly—illusion or reality?

“This is very special for us for a number of reasons. First, it has been nearly 30 years since the last Triwizard Cup, and it is the first time in the over 700 year history of the tournament that we have had three lovely ladies as our contenders. We congratulate you, and we offer you a toast in your honor.” Letting everyone select a glass at random, she offered the glasses on the tray to the judges first and offered the remaining three to the young champions. She took her glass and raised it. “To your success,” she smiled and took a drink from her glass. When everyone had taken a sip, she said, “You may find this delightful little drink may go to your head a wee bit.” Khaat watched the champions closely. It would be only a matter of a few precious seconds before this special version of Phoenix Fire would begin to affect the champions. Their vision would fade, their heads would spin, and everything would turn to silent darkness.

''At this very moment," Headmaster Doyle spoke, "you should be feeling a little dizzy, but do not let that worry you, that is the smallest problem you will experience. What you have just taken is a special potion of my own brewing and it will transport you to your first task in a matter of moments. It does have side-effects, but more on that after you wake up, and it will cease effecting your body when you finish your task. You will be transported to the Orient Express, to a small compartment of your own in the middle of the night, but only to find out that your bunk-buddy is dead, his throat slashed and his blood on you. How? Who? When? And how did he end up in your compartment when he wasn't there when you went to sleep? Those are some questions you will have to answer in order to clear your name.

"Your assistant will be a person names Wanda Boardfoot, a girl your age which will help you in your goal. You have to understand that you will be doing this task in the year 1929 and you have just enough time until the train takes a stop in Belgrade, the capital of the former Kingdom of Yugoslavia. It means that you will have roughly two, maybe three hours time to complete everything, but do not worry about the time component. You shall receive further instructions by Wanda once you wake up in the great Orient Express. But, in order to comfort you, no need to worry, the worst thing that can happen to you is that you die, but that won't be a problem, will it? I have timed this correctly, and you should be hitting your heads on the ground right... about... now!'', he finished, as the champions fell down. ''It seems that I have done this correctly, haven't I? Timing is crucial! They should be waking up in a moments time'', he said to Khaat.

OOC: Champion, you will begin your task, and when you have completed your first post, you will be given more information from Wanda that will be sufficient to finish your task. It is a bit unorthodox from how we normally do this, but it is the way this task has been designed.
Khaat Lupin
Khaat Lupin
Gryffindor Graduate
Gryffindor Graduate

Number of posts : 22652
Special Abilities : Energy Worker, Medium, Heightened Sensitivity

Back to top Go down

The First Task Empty Re: The First Task

Post by Jaquellene Jack Dyllan Fri Nov 26, 2010 6:21 am

Jack groaned in her sleep, mumbling slightly as she shook her head, feeling as though she had woken up the day after a particularly gruesome Quidditch game. She was slumped in a chair somewhere and as she racked her brains to gather her thoughts, she remembered everything that had transpired. The task, the first task... already there. They had said she would be on a train. She stayed still and felt the swaying movements. yes, they were right. Okay, they had also said-

She opened her eyes and immediately her gaze fell on the corpse of a young man, a little older than herself. A chill ran down her spine but she held her gaze; she had seen corpses, she had battled, she had stepped over motionless bodies at Grimmauld Place. She had seen Vito abuse people and bloody them. A corpse could not hurt her.

She stood, her eyes stuck on the body and sighed. She looked down and saw her hands were bloody. She raised them to her eyes, realizing the blood was also on her shirt and splattered on her jeans. She shuddered. This was part of the task... but still. She gathered her cloak, which she was glad she had brought, and clasped it at the front. It would also hide her modern attire. Though, blood was splashed down the arm, so it did not do much to conceal what she had not done. She slowly walked forward and saw the clean slit across the man's throat, and then saw all the burbled up blood, the mess the crime had left behind. She winced but reached out. His eyes were still open. She touched his hand. Still warm.

He had been murdered. And recently.

And now she was prime suspect number one.
Jaquellene Jack Dyllan
Jaquellene Jack Dyllan
Gryffindor Graduate
Gryffindor Graduate

Number of posts : 10287
Special Abilities : Occlumency
Occupation : Unspeakable | Beater for the Falmouth Falcons | Deed-Holder of Satan's

https://jackles-feels-feelings.polyvore.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Khaat Lupin Sat Nov 27, 2010 2:48 pm

A young auburn haired woman flew out of her compartment, number 5, and raced towards the champion’s compartment, number 10. The compartment was in disarray, with the bloody body of a man lying on the other bunk and blood spattered everywhere, including on the champion, everything overturned or thrown, and items from the champion’s traveling trunk thrown everywhere in the small room. The young woman, now standing in the doorway of the compartment, was dressed in her white nightshirt, bare feet, and her hair askew. “Papa!” she exclaimed. “My father is missing! You have to help me find him…” She peered into the champion’s compartment and saw the horrific scene within and let out a scream. “My father! He...He’s dead! Murdered! But who…why…?”

She looked into the face of the young champion and said, “You. I’ve seen you about. You go to my school. I know I can trust you. Um..but your cloak doesn't totally hide whatever that is you're wearing. What is that?" She frowned. "I’m Wanda. Wanda Boardfoot. My father’s name is…was...Richard. I need your help. I don’t know how my father got into your compartment, but I need you to help me find the murderer before he or she gets off the train. Please. I can’t imagine who would want to kill him, and we don’t know anybody else on the train—not really. He was only a lumber salesman. He and I were taking a bit of a holiday after he sold that huge order of exotic tropical hardwoods to wandmakers last week. I remember he said it was a huge risk when he took on the large order of rare hardwoods. It was a massive investment for him, but when he finally sold it, he had more than enough for the two of us to take this holiday.

“It was something we always wanted to do, but after my mother died, we didn’t think it would ever be possible. I can’t imagine who would ever, ever want to harm him. Everybody loved him. Did you know him? Do you have any idea how he ended up in your compartment? Oh, wait! Maybe there will be something in my father’s compartment that will help you. Come with me.”

She led the champion down the narrow train passage to compartment number 3, next door to her own. Odd numbered compartments were on the left hand side of the hallway, and the even numbered compartments were on the right. She took a key out of her nightdress pocket and unlocked the compartment. “Papa and I got keys to each other’s compartments…just in case…”she fought back tears. She went inside to her father’s attaché case that was lying on the unused sleeping berth that was still sofa. “You may find something in his travelling trunk or in here that will help you. His order book, his customer list, our itinerary, the train’s schedule, menu for the dining car…oh, and here is a list of who is in the other compartments.” Wanda took out the list of their traveling companions and handed it to the champion.

The list read:

1. Mr. & Mrs. Jerome Wycliffe

2. Mrs. Jeanine Conant & Mrs. Eileen McDonald

3. Mr. Richard Boardfoot

4. Lord Anthony Marwick & Lady Barbara Marwick

5. Miss Wanda Boardfoot

6. Dr. Kenneth Blessington & Master Stanley Blessington

7. Sir Lawrence Cole & Mr. Percy Alden

8. Professor Victor Trevena

9. Miss Dorothy Middleton

10. Miss Jacquellene Dyllan

“What I know, so far, about the people on this list is a bit sketchy, but if it helps, you’re welcome to it. The Wycliffs are newlyweds on their honeymoon, and the ladies in compartment 2 are sisters who are taking a world tour. Lord and Lady Marwick are on some sort of trip to visit their son who is serving in the Royal Army on the continent. The Blessingtons are off to see Dr. Blessington’s mother who is living over here on the continent someplace and is supposedly confined to a wheelchair after an illness. Sir Lawrence and his secretary are on some sort of governmental assignment, and the Professor is going to Istanbul to study linguistics. Miss Middleton is his travelling companion. I think they may be engaged. She had a diamond ring on at dinner last night. The conductor is Frank Wilkins. He told us this is his last trip on the train before he retires. My father and I didn’t meet any of them, until we boarded the train in Paris. Is any of that helpful?”

The sound of voices began to rise up in the train car as fellow travelers were awakened by Wanda’s screaming and were beginning to go see what the trouble was. “You…might want to, maybe, fix whatever this is your wearing? Or wash up a bit?” Wanda said, gesturing to all of the blood that was covering the young champion.
Khaat Lupin
Khaat Lupin
Gryffindor Graduate
Gryffindor Graduate

Back to top Go down

Post by Jaquellene Jack Dyllan Tue Nov 30, 2010 5:05 am

OoC: Would you like me to post the rest of the task, including the name of the murderer here? Or will we get more info?
Jaquellene Jack Dyllan
Jaquellene Jack Dyllan
Gryffindor Graduate
Gryffindor Graduate

Occupation : Unspeakable | Beater for the Falmouth Falcons | Deed-Holder of Satan's

Back to top Go down

Post by Khaat Lupin Wed Dec 01, 2010 1:20 am

Champions. my apologies for some apparent confusion with this task. I am trying to make sure it doesn't happen on the second and third tasks. Bear with me.

However, here is the bit of additional OOC information you need.

You do not have to solve the murder in order to solve the first task. From an OOC standpoint, we are looking to see what you do with the information given to you already. Your task is to see what you do with your character, with very limited information in a very limited time frame. As a player, your writing abilities and creativity will be tested.

Remember, the Triwizard is a series of events. This is only the first step. You will not be getting more IC information in this particular task. If you have already posted your task information, feel free to edit if this gives you any assistance at all. Solving the crime is not as critical at this point as it is for you to do your best with what you have.

Questions?
Khaat
Khaat Lupin
Khaat Lupin
Gryffindor Graduate
Gryffindor Graduate

Back to top Go down

Post by Jaquellene Jack Dyllan Wed Dec 01, 2010 1:28 am

OoC: Can we PP other characters or simply go through the task with are character?
Jaquellene Jack Dyllan
Jaquellene Jack Dyllan
Gryffindor Graduate
Gryffindor Graduate

Back to top Go down

Post by Khaat Lupin Wed Dec 01, 2010 1:33 am

You may godmod any other character who is already on the train with you.
Khaat Lupin
Khaat Lupin
Gryffindor Graduate
Gryffindor Graduate

Back to top Go down

Post by Jaquellene Jack Dyllan Wed Dec 01, 2010 4:01 am

Jack followed the young girl, piecing what she knew together. Wanda Boardfoot. Her father was Richard Boardfoot. Wanda thought Jack went to school with her. Aha! She mentioned wandmaking, so she was a witch. Perfect. Jack would not have to worry about hiding any magic she did in Wanda's company. Jack took the list in her hand and read it over. Silently, she put her wand to her name and Richard's name- the only people she knew did not commit the murder. She would not be so dense to mark off Wanda either. She was still a suspect. Everyone was.

Jack was busy concentrating on what needed to be done, but Wanda raised a good point about her style of dress. Jack thought back to the date- 1929. In America, the Great Depression would be about to begin, if not already. She considered changing her clothes into a man's. It would win her some favor, because women still did not have quite the same rights as men. But then she would have a problem if anyone reviewed the list. Had it said 'Jack Dyllan' she would be fine. But it said 'Miss Jaquellene Dyllan.' Figures.

She hated dressing up. She had never imagined being challenged like this in the very first task. She glanced at Wanda's dress and pulled out her wand, opening her cloak. She quickly cleaned off the blood on both the cloak and her other clothes, and then transformed her shirt, lengthening it, softening the material, until it was dress of the period. She shortened her pants, turning them into spandex for her own comfort, and then transforming her cloak into a long wool coat, which she buttoned. Her hair was already the correct short style, and "ratted" to fit it.

She groaned. Style had not been mentioned in the announcements.

She turned to Wanda. "Thank you. Everything you have said is very helpful.” She paused... Not really. Jack now had... thirteen suspects. How great it would be to simply told that one of them had had a long rivalry with the girl's father and that it would not at all be surprising that he would attempt to murder him.

But this was a Triwizard task and, for once, the girl who loved a challenge, who faced them without balking, was wishing for a simple solution.

She stared at the list and realized she would never be able to interview every single one of them without going over her time limit. It took police weeks to interview people and come up with conclusions. There was not even definite evidence here. The compartment was slightly disturbed- blankets rumpled- and- AHA!

Jack bent down next to the bed and saw it. A drop of blood on the ground. As she neared closer to the carpet she saw it everywhere. She pulled out her wand and lit the tip of it, following the trail quickly to see that it led out the compartment and almost certainly led to her own- though she did not have the time to follow it. Already, a good deal of time had been spent with the discovery and now with the update from Wanda. It was time to get to business.

The trail of blood was almost enough to convince Jack to go and inform the conductor. However, she knew that the finger would still be pointed at her, regardless of the blood. She had to have something that not only condemned the killer, but also proved her own innocence.

She did not like to admit it, but the latter would be near damn impossible to prove. She had been asleep and alone- that provided absolutely no alibis. She kept herself calm but could feel her heart flutter irregularly slightly in her chest. That left her no choice then. There was only one way to clear her name, and that was by providing someone with the actual murderer.

She stood up and then paused, closing her eyes. She had not enjoyed the moment of fear mingled with panic. Jack did not panic. She adapted. She took a deep breath and remembered the Ministry had organized the tournament, the task had been designed by them. There was no way she would get stuck in this time and accused of the murder. She might stay long enough to get roughed up a bit, but she even doubted that that would occur. Simply not enough time.

Anyway, everyone was asleep. She would simply add that to her list of things to do: clear her name, find the killer, how he did, when, and to keep the occupants of the train silent as she did. The last duty was not for the task's sake, but for her own patience.

She went through the list in her mind and landed on when. She had still felt warmth in the man's body, and she enough about death to know that by the freshness of his blood, his warmth, and how dry the blood on the clothes and carpet were, he had been killed within the past two hours, though she would bet within the hour. She had no proof, but what proof would she find of that? She was not a coroner.

With a sigh, she turned her attention to the fact that she needed more. Always more. There never seemed to be enough of anything to make anything convenient. Now what did she need to know to classify a murdered. An MO, a motive, means, and a murder weapon. The four M's. She was probably forgetting something, but any three of them would definitely be enough to prove a murder, or so she hoped.

Hmmm... She thought deeply, stroking her chin as she began to pace. Wanda stared at her and slowly sat down, evidently waiting for Jack to figure this out, offering no more advice, for which Jack was thankful. At the moment, she just needed her own brain, not someone planting thoughts that might lead her more astray.

She stopped. What had teachers in muggle school always say when you were confused about a problem on a test or something? Process of elimination. That was perfect. She did not have time to investigate each room for an MO, a motive, or a murder weapon... But a means... Which of them were large enough to carry the man? Or which were magical? Which were awake?

“Thank you Wanda. Stay here.”

She tucked the list into her pocket and quickly scavenged the compartment for a pen before walking out into the aisle that led down the train. She took a deep breath, knowing the first step and realizing she would be doing the opposite of her last duty- keeping everyone asleep and quiet. She walked down closed her eyes and concentrated on the opposite end of the train, between the first and second compartments and turned on her heel.

CRACK!

She appeared there and paused. For a second silence, until an older woman appeared out of the second compartment, asking about the commotion. Jack noted her small size and could see her sister behind her, who seemed even more frail. Without magic, they were harmless. They could not carry the man.

“Sorry, I tripped,” Jack said. “Do you happen to have any Chocolate Frogs?”

The woman stared at her like she was insane. Jack grinned. “Sorry, it's a new generation thing, I think. Sorry to disturb you.”

The woman retreated and Jack turned to the first compartment and tried to open it. Locked. She glanced around, took out her wand, and whispered, “Muffliato. Alohamora.” There was a whoosh and a click, and Jack opened the door, slipping inside.

She immediately regretted it. She did not see anything, but she saw enough to confirm her doubts that the newlywed Wycliffs were the murderers. They were covered in sheets, but a barren side and an unclothed leg here and there was enough to tell Jack they had been preoccupied. She strode forward and sniffed above them, getting whiffs of alcohol. They were unlikely suspects.

She backed out and relocked the door, slipping the list out of her pocket. She tapped the first two pairs, already having eliminated four suspects.

She paused and looked at the next group and closed her eyes, turning on the spot again.

CRACK!

She reappeared between compartments three and four. Seeing as three was where the body was, she figured it would be a quicker investigation. There was no stirring from the fourth compartment. Jack knocked once. No answer. She unlocked the door and slipped inside.

The tenants were, likewise, asleep. Jack glanced around and saw that the woman was too small to carry the victim. She raised her wand slightly and whispered, “Accio wands.” After a second, she realized none would soar into her hands. Unless they had cast protective spells, they were not magical. However, the man was big enough. Jack backed out and left the list as was.

CRACK!

Between five and six. Wanda's head immediately popped out of the compartment, but when she noticed it was only Jack, she slipped back in. And so it continued. Jack did not rule out the Blessingtons, even though the doctor was small framed and his son even wimpier- and neither seemed magical- she did not rule them out.

CRACK!

Seven and eight. The officials were not magical, that much was obvious. And the secretary was much too small and the other much too drunk to be taken seriously. The Professor seemed to be irritated by the noise when he peeked out, and Jack left him on the list, though she marked off the officials.

CRACK!

Miss Middleton was bleary eyed when she came out to investigate and unless she was an actress, Jack could think that she had been asleep. Before the tired woman could strike up conversation, Jack hurried off.

So. Possibly the proffessor and the doctor and the royal couple. Less possible Miss Middleton, the doctor's son. She stared at the list. Better... She tried to gague her time and guessed more than half of her time had been used up.

Means. Check.

Motive, she would never have time to investigate.

MO. Cut throat... The doctor could do that, but she had seen a medical bag there. Why so messy? She knew the right amount of prescription could work so much better. She counted the Blessingtons out. And Miss Middleton. Her hands had shaken something terrible.

The royal couple and the professor. Though Jack just could not think why either would want to harm Wanda's dad.

She paused... Murder weapon... Hmmm....

She went back to the Blessingtons and knocked on the door. The doctor answered, looking even more puzzled than the first time she had appeared.

“Sorry, to disturb you... But I've found something really scary and I'm concerned.”

He seemed to be a good, kind soul and he followed her to her compartment, gasping as she let him in. He paused and hurried back to his compartment to fetch his bag.

Once gloved, his hands probed the wound and then checked the vitals; which seemed rather idealistic in Jack's opinion. He announced that it was the work of a silver sort of knife, from his best guess, and said he was going to go and get someone who could do something for them. Jack watched him knock the door of the officials until they answered and when they went inside, Jack locked the door with a quick spell.

Jack had not seen a silver knife anywhere and her time was coming to a close, she could feel it. Her head spun momentarily. How could she solve this!? It was not as if the knife would just come out of nowhere, it would not soar into her hands...

She paused and a hand came to her forehead, a laugh escaping her lips. She shook her head, scolding herself for her obliviousness. She stepped into the hallway and walked to the very end, pointing towards the end. She could deal with the consequences later.

Accio knife that killed Mr. Boardfoot!

She waited and felt the swoop of disappointment. Then suddenly, she heard a thump, a creak, a curse, and a knife came sliding down the floor towards her. The conductor burst from the main part of the train, sprinting after the escaping knife, which drug blood across the floor.

With a flick of her wand, the official's door opened and the knife rested at her feet. The conductor followed after, grabbing the knife and pointing it in her face. She flinched away but did not back down.

”I'll kill ye! That's my knife, leave it there!”

”Are you crazy, man!?”

Jack saw the conductor turn to face Sir Cole and the doctor. The secretary ran in from Jack's room. ”He's there alright!”

Jack cleared her throat. “There's a trail of blood from my room to the victim's. And this is his knife. He said so, himself.”

The scene exploded into chaos but Jack did not get to witness all of it. She slipped away and walked ghostlike, full of exhaustion and waning adrenaline, back to her compartment and found Wanda, holding her father's hand tearfully. Jack opened her mouth to tell her what she knew, but before she could, she was fading from this time and place, her purpose done. She vaguely heard Wanda's thank you, but before she could say more, she was gone.
Jaquellene Jack Dyllan
Jaquellene Jack Dyllan
Gryffindor Graduate
Gryffindor Graduate

Back to top Go down

Post by Jaquellene Jack Dyllan Tue Dec 21, 2010 6:17 pm

[Complete]
Jaquellene Jack Dyllan
Jaquellene Jack Dyllan
Gryffindor Graduate
Gryffindor Graduate

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top