Problems with the site?
Welcome to Potter’s Army

Welcome to Potter's Army

We have been a Harry Potter Roleplaying site since 2007. If you're an old member we hope you come check out the discord link provided below. And if you're looking for a new roleplaying site, well, we're a little inactive. But every once and a while nostalgia sets in and a few of our alumni members will revisit the old stomping grounds and post together. Remember to stay safe out there. And please feel free to drop a line whenever!

Problems with the site? Li9olo10

What’s Happening?
Since every few months or so a few of our old members get the inspiration to revisit their old stomping grounds we have decided to keep PA open as a place to revisit old threads and start new ones devoid of any serious overarching plot or setting. Take this time to start any of those really weird threads you never got to make with old friends and make them now! Just remember to come say hello in the chatbox below or in the discord. Links have been provided in the "Comings and Goings" forum as well as the welcome widget above.

Problems with the site?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Problems with the site? Empty Problems with the site?

Post by Albus Severus Potter Fri May 14, 2010 10:27 am

We are going to do an update tommorow or on Sunday. However, before we do it, I thought I should ask the members what they think are the problems with PA for once.

So list as many problems as you like and we will try to fix them Smile
Albus Severus Potter
Albus Severus Potter

Number of posts : 754

Back to top Go down

Problems with the site? Empty Re: Problems with the site?

Post by Colin Firethorn Fri May 14, 2010 1:29 pm

I think you already know most of my thoughts, Darren. I think the biggest problem still is plot. I think there are a myriad of smaller issues that I don't have all the answers for, but I don't believe it is in the design of the site itself. I think advertising is also a critical issue that we have to look at to keep recruiting new menbers as well. I see those as the top two issues. The other things are relatively minor, in comparison. I think once we establish a plot we need to follow it and not let it die off. We need to follow through.
Colin Firethorn
Colin Firethorn
Hufflepuff Graduate
Hufflepuff Graduate

Number of posts : 310

Back to top Go down

Post by Clementine Lovegood Fri May 14, 2010 1:45 pm

Not really a problem but just a request.. Can you change the thead tiles text so it is not cursive? And can you maybe create a place for thead trackers? Also I don't know how other members feel but I really liked the IC mailboxes. It might be nice to also have a misc. character extras page for other things such are communication divices.
Clementine Lovegood

Number of posts : 2053

Back to top Go down

Post by Vincent Majere Mon May 24, 2010 8:24 pm

Ahh where to start.. There are so many problems with this site its impossible to write them all. This site never used to be good in all honesty, but compared to now it was awesome several months ago. But it can't go back to how it was, it surely can't get better. Because Jemma's left and Darren doesn't seem to be alive, so who is the experienced admin in the admin team? Sorry, but it seems to me that Jemma and Darren were running the site, without them, not exactly sure what will happen to PA.

But if the other admins are willing to work to improve PA, good for them. I don't want to see this site go inactive after all. But they need to adress the issues. Which are:

An Incompetent admin team - no offense but of 5 admins it seems only 2 are active every day. It takes a long time for applications to be solved and members are usually ignored. PROOF: This thread. Khaat is the only consistently active admin and she is the newest admin and has no experience. The admins keep promising an update which never comes. Our thread at RP-D is on the last page, which shows how good are advertising is. The members aren't listened to, some threads at claims are ignored, the spell list isnt finished. I could go on and on.. Most importantly though, none of the admins are willing to make a large change in the site. Because admittedly, the site never had much potential. It as an ordinary (but confusing) plot, no organization, no advertising... Frankly it was extremely lucky to get 250,000 posts and run for 3 years.

Lack of Organization - Everything is very scattered. New members would be VERY confused. Grads have nothing to do and Students also.. have nothing to do, cause classes suck and are nonexistant now cause everyone wants to make grads. Focus on one of them, because our site isn't big enough to support classes, grad jobs, and all that.

Lack of members - Nothing can happen with 10 active members. Advertising might help.

Lack of quality roleplaying - Now that Amelia and Jemma have left, the level of roleplaying is bad as well. The worst thing is that the people who post one liners are not willing to change to post larger posts. In the space of a month the site is now dominated by one liner posters. So why would people who post larger posts join? I thought we had a 3 line post minimum. I suggest increasing that to get the one liner posters out of the site. It might make us less active but it would surely help to increase the quality of roleplaying.

Plot - How bout changing it COMPLETELY? Like.. pretend everything never happened. Cause the plot sucks. Also, how bout running the plot right next time, because no one ever gets the plot forwards and the admins suck at organizing events that do that (Battle of Ministry, Student Kidnapping.. could go on.)

Im not being defeatist or having a go at the admins. I'm just saying something has to be done about PA fast.
Vincent Majere
Vincent Majere

Number of posts : 836

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon May 24, 2010 10:18 pm

I think the Admins need to figure out who is active and who is not, and get rid of all that are inactive. It will make the site look a little empty, sure, but that is a step that needs to be taken. Also, perhaps an Admin who works solely with Advertising would be a good thing, because I haven’t seen any PA adds anywhere. Advertising is necessary if you want to keep a site going- actually, I’m amazed that you lot managed to collect as many members as you did without affective advertising, and for that, I take my hat off to you. However, the member count is decreasing, and there are quite a few people here (as Majere stated) that only post one-liners. Normally, I don’t really care how long posts are, but when it comes to only posting one or two sentences, well, I’m sure anyone could understand my annoyance. I’m not saying you should make it a 800+ kind of site because that is insane, but it is something that needs to be dealt with.

I know I am not really one to talk considering the fact that I have only been here for –what- a month or so? But I have been RPing for quite a while now and I know what makes me enjoy a site. I love you people, but I do think quite a lot needs changed.

Here are a few other things as well:

- It needs to be decided which Admins are actually helping PA and which are too busy to do so.
- Choosing between a site for the Grads and a site for the students was a brilliant suggestion.
- If you decided to keep the classes, you should make it mandatory for students to attend them.
- Perhaps a better looking add? It looks a bit too long and complicated.
- The boards aren't organized too well & would look confusing to new members. Try simpler.
- People could get away with applying and not reading the rules easily. Try using a password.
- I think there needs to be an area for members to suggest things to add to the plot, because this whole "you must PM an admin in order to do something important" is a little strange.

I have nothing against the Admins or the site, both are amazing, this is just my opinion on what should be taken care of.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Matthew Lestrange Tue May 25, 2010 11:29 pm

Alright Guys, we really can't do anything big until Darren gets back. And yes, Darren does and Jemma used to run the site because they have all the experience! But, we can't do much without Darren's approval. So alot doesn't happen when he was exams and such! Sorry, the update will come after he's finished! But one other thing, there isn't one unactive admin. The ones that were gone for a while had valid excuses, and Darren's only inactive because of studying. So sorry guys for the inconvenience, but thanks for helping. We just need some more people to post in here!

Seventh Year Slytherin
Seventh Year Slytherin

Number of posts : 6872

Back to top Go down

Post by Ne'Os Emof Wed May 26, 2010 3:22 am

We need a plot we have the hero but not the villan I do my best to fill that spot but to be able to keep up with the heros and not be overpowerd is very difficult. The site has pretty much stopped because of this and new members dont stick around for long. Just my observations.

And i also vote we restart the plot completley make a thread for those who want to be hero and villan and members can vote for who they want to be the main baddy and the main goody.
Ne'Os Emof
Ne'Os Emof
Slytherin Graduate
Slytherin Graduate

Number of posts : 5547
Special Abilities : Wandless magic, Invisibility

Back to top Go down

Post by Nerissa Hatts Wed May 26, 2010 3:34 am

I love your second suggestion, mate; it is a brilliant idea.
Nerissa Hatts

Number of posts : 482

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Post by Kya Lamport Thu Jun 03, 2010 1:42 am

I joined a while ago and frankly this isn't the same site I joined. There's been talk about changing the focus to just students or just grads; frankly, I, and I'm sure others, joined wanting to RP a student not a grad. I don't really care, but I wanted to throw my ideas out there. First, based off what everyone said already:

Keera Mast said that the inactive members should be deleted.
Multiple people have said to change the plot completely, to not even bother simply revising it.
Jamie Prophet suggested changing fonts on the site.
Multiple people said more advertising needs to be done.

My two cents? This site needs to be completely re-done. I don't mean change the skin and the plot, I mean, start over, make a new site. The plot is going to be different, apparently many of the founding admins are too busy to be active, and the focus might be changed exclusively to students or grads. Doesn't it make sense to make a new site? Maybe even a new name. Or, if it's possible, have this site automatically redirect to your new site. Tell the members what you're doing and encourage them to join the new site, with the same name if they choose. You might choose not to for various reasons, but this is my personal opinion. If you're going to change everything else, why not just make a new site? Take the staff that is active (and friendly! seriously. I know this is kinda unheard of on this site, but it's a pretty big part of success), hire an advertising mod, and get this site rolling on a new site. I hope this doesn't come off as rude, I'm just being honest. I was gunhoe and excited to join this site... but that changed very quickly.
Kya Lamport
Kya Lamport

Number of posts : 14

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top