Lecture 1: First and Seconds
Welcome to Potter’s Army

Welcome to Potter's Army

We have been a Harry Potter Roleplaying site since 2007. If you're an old member we hope you come check out the discord link provided below. And if you're looking for a new roleplaying site, well, we're a little inactive. But every once and a while nostalgia sets in and a few of our alumni members will revisit the old stomping grounds and post together. Remember to stay safe out there. And please feel free to drop a line whenever!

Lecture 1: First and Seconds Li9olo10

What’s Happening?
Since every few months or so a few of our old members get the inspiration to revisit their old stomping grounds we have decided to keep PA open as a place to revisit old threads and start new ones devoid of any serious overarching plot or setting. Take this time to start any of those really weird threads you never got to make with old friends and make them now! Just remember to come say hello in the chatbox below or in the discord. Links have been provided in the "Comings and Goings" forum as well as the welcome widget above.

Lecture 1: First and Seconds

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Lecture 1: First and Seconds Empty Lecture 1: First and Seconds

Post by Keiran Hayes Thu Oct 06, 2016 2:29 am

One thing that Keiran loved, beyond simply being in the Headmaster role he had wanted for so long, was the ability that only Headmasters had: the ability to apparate around the school. It meant, thankfully, that he was not late to class for the students' second period. He had gotten his old classroom back, thankfully, and felt that he knew the fourth floor of the school far better than most at that point. But one meeting with a student choosing to be rebellious so shockingly early, and there went his morning.

He landed in front of the students that had filed in, looking them all over. The would undoubtedly know his role as both their professor but now their Headmaster as well, and he only hoped it wouldn't make them afraid to ask questions or participate.

"Good morning," he began, waiting pointedly for a response before looking back at them with a smile. By that point, he had set down his things and was taking up his wand. Behind him, words began appearing rapidly on the chalkboard in handwriting that was neat enough to be read, but messy enough to still match the man before them.

"For our first lesson this year, we're going to do a group project of sorts," he said, turning to face them properly while the chalk kept going. "Behind me, you will find a list of things that you'll need to find in your books or figure out, and once every student here has the answers correct, you will be dismissed. I will not hold you past the end of lecture, as I'm sure you'll all be anxious to go to lunch, but you will not be released early, either, if it takes anyone the entire period."

He started to turn away but added on, "Do try not to shout at each other if someone is slow. I understand the urge, but I guarantee it will not help you."

Still, he offered a slight, closed-lipped smile before walking up alongside the board just as the chalk fell back into the rack at the bottom. Gesturing to it, he spoke again.

"These are the topics that we will be covering this year, so I thought it would be nice to get a preview of them. Each of these will either require a definition, equation, list of supplies, or background information, all of which can be found in your books or through discussing the information found there. I expect everyone to work together on this, and I will only give hints to answers. You have an hour," he concluded, inclining his head towards them before slowly moving to sit down at his desk.

The board read:

1. In the formula for the limitations of Transfiguration, what do the different variables (letters) mean?
2. What is the difference between an animagus and human Transfiguration?
3. In changing a match into a needle, two key things mark a successful casting of the spell. What are they?
4. This spell, which we will not be attempting until at least fourth year, produces a white light and changes two objects into each other.
5. For transfiguring mice into snuffboxes, what is the most common outcome for a failed attempt? And what is this transfiguration the counter-spell for?
6. What are the potential uses (outcomes/effects) for the Avifors spell, and what is the hand motion used for it?
7. What spell changes small animals into boxes of matches?
8. In your NEWT level years you will learn Conjuration. What is the difference between Conjuration and Vanishment, and between Conjuration and Transfiguration?
9. Define Untransfiguration.
10. What are the Five Principal Exceptions to Gamp's Law?

[OOC: Note that your students are extreme beginners. They can and SHOULD fail, and almost no one should ever get anything their very first try unless they have previous experience. First years, of course, can't. And Second years probably have not spent much time outside of class on things besides essays, as practical transfiguration is not particularly easy outside of class without the right materials. Take your time with posting here; it's designed to last a while, but if this thread dies and people are particularly interested, I may begin another one before the semester ends, so let me know!]
Keiran Hayes
Keiran Hayes
Seventh Year Slytherin
Seventh Year Slytherin

Number of posts : 548

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Lecture 1: First and Seconds Empty Re: Lecture 1: First and Seconds

Post by Amelia Stirling Fri Oct 28, 2016 9:54 pm

Nicole stared hopelessly at the long list in front of them. Regardless of how badly she wanted to do well, she hadn't exactly been very focused during her first year. In truth, she had been so thrilled to get out of her mother's hold that she had been more desirous of friends and excitement, as opposed to impressive grades.

Now, she was really regretting it. Particularly now that the Headmaster was leading one of her classes. Oh, goodness. After realizing that, she had almost begun missing Wales and her mother's house.

When Professor Hayes told them to begin, the first question she heard didn't surprise her. Turning to the Slytherin boy, she frowned sympathetically.

"I'm sure I heard it last year, but I can't remember now. I know part of the mice one. Number five? Sometimes the boxes have little whiskers on them," she told him, "if it's done wrong."
Amelia Stirling
Amelia Stirling
Seventh Year Gryffindor
Seventh Year Gryffindor

Number of posts : 44

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top