Fallen Books and New Friendships
Welcome to Potter’s Army

Welcome to Potter's Army

We have been a Harry Potter Roleplaying site since 2007. If you're an old member we hope you come check out the discord link provided below. And if you're looking for a new roleplaying site, well, we're a little inactive. But every once and a while nostalgia sets in and a few of our alumni members will revisit the old stomping grounds and post together. Remember to stay safe out there. And please feel free to drop a line whenever!

Fallen Books and New Friendships Li9olo10

What’s Happening?
Since every few months or so a few of our old members get the inspiration to revisit their old stomping grounds we have decided to keep PA open as a place to revisit old threads and start new ones devoid of any serious overarching plot or setting. Take this time to start any of those really weird threads you never got to make with old friends and make them now! Just remember to come say hello in the chatbox below or in the discord. Links have been provided in the "Comings and Goings" forum as well as the welcome widget above.

Fallen Books and New Friendships

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Fallen Books and New Friendships Empty Fallen Books and New Friendships

Post by Bertie Nogard Thu Aug 13, 2015 10:25 pm

The day before yesterday Bertie had woken to a letter from the examination board, enclosed were in his OWL results. Hastily tearing the envelope open the Ravenclaw was able to let out a sigh of relief and enjoy his morning orange juice a little more. He'd passed everything, in fact he'd more than passed he'd achieved six outstandings and four exceeds expectations, the latter a pleasant surprise because he he'd performed so miserably in his transfigurations theory exam, no doubt the practical helped him scrap an unexpected exceeds expectations. Regardless the Ravenclaw wouldn't have to open one more transfigurations book and attempt to wade his way through theories of where vanished objects go. 

Two days later his Hogwarts letter had arrived and, although Bertie would only be studying four subjects to NEWT level the set list of books was the longest Bertie had ever seen. He'd heard the older students complain about how tough NEWT's were and the sheer amount of reading that accompanied it but this much was ridiculous. All Bertie could say on the subject was: 'At least I enjoy reading.' 

Deciding that it would be best to buy his books soon rather than later so he could begin wading through thousands of pages and be somewhat a little ahead upon his return to school Bertie used the floo network and soon found himself walking down the cobbled street towards Flourish and Blotts, pausing at the apothecary before continuing to the shop next door. 

The apothecary was one place Bertie liked to avoid at all cost, especially given what he'd witnessed there and the Ravenclaw was only thankful that he wasn't interested enough in potions to continue the subject to NEWT. Of course he wouldn't let Vivianna know that he'd grown to dislike the subject, she was a natural at it, had spent hours coaching Bertie into a decent potioneer but his heart simply lay elsewhere. 

Twenty minutes later Bertie's arms were full of books about advanced charms and magical theory, so full that he could barely see over the top of them. It perhaps would have been wise to have picked up a basket from the entrance because there were still three other subjects worth of books to find within the store. Deciding that he'd dump his shopping into a basket the Ravenclaw began to make his way towards the door, trying his best to keep the swaying stack of books form falling. Sadly, his endeavors were fruitless and they soon toppled forwards down, out of his arms, tumbling over a shorter girl with dark hair. 

'I am so sorry!' Bertie gasped, his eyes wide with horror and his hand running through the back of his hair sheepishly as he examined the mess that he'd caused before crouching down to scoop up his books to stop prying eyes from judging his clumsiness.
Bertie Nogard
Bertie Nogard

Number of posts : 149

Back to top Go down

Fallen Books and New Friendships Empty Re: Fallen Books and New Friendships

Post by Athena Abercrombie Thu Aug 13, 2015 11:22 pm

Yesterday  Athena gotten her Hogwarts letter for the upcoming year,  was it just her or did the books become more and more overbearing as the years went by?   Although this was the year they were going to hound you about OWL year coming up next year,  her brother Calvin already told her about it,  all she could do was roll her eyes at the thought of it.   Although Athena's grades were pretty good,  she had high marks in her classes,  although Potions wasn't her strong point.   She hated Potions,  she hated everything about Potions,  reminded her her muggle chemistry which was something she hated!  Although Athena was good in her other subjects,  she wasn't perfect in everything,  she wasn't good in Potions or History of Magic she thinks it's boring.

Athena notice that some of her books were quite advance,  although Athena knew that this year was OWL preparing year,  getting them all ready to take the OWLs next year.  Although Athena wished she was a Fifth year already so she didn't have to worry about taking them next year,  but if she was a Fifth year,  she'll have to worry about her NEWTs and trying to pass them.   After being a third year,  Hogwarts was no long fun and games,  it was serious and more advance, although Athena was ready for it.   She was waiting for this for awhile,   more advance and mature spells,  no more babying you,  although that stopped after the second year though.  Athena didn't know how she was a fourth year already,  just seemed like yesterday she was a first year,  crazy how things go by so quickly.

Walking out of the  parchment and quill shop,  Athena headed towards Flourish and Blotts to get her books for the upcoming year, she was quite glad that it wasn't going to be that busy.  Athena didn't know why,  but so many people waited until the last moment to get their stuff,  Athena was the person to get her things beforehand to avoid the crowd.  It wasn't that Athena didn't like people, don't get her wrong she did,  she just didn't like crowds that's all.   It probably had to do with her shyness,  she didn't know, but she didn't like crowded pack places very much, they sort of scared her.   Although she pushed that thought away as she headed towards Flourish and Blotts to get her books for the upcoming year, she couldn't wait to see them and start reading them,  'god I'm such a nerd, no wonder I don't have any friends! ' Athena thought to herself.

Walking into the shop the shop,  Athena sighed in relief as the air conditioned place greeted her hot skin,  cooling her off.  She reminded herself that she was going to get some ice cream before after she gotten all her school supplies.  Athena took out her list and stared down at it looking to see which books were closer to her,  she seen that  Charms and Transfigurations were closer to her, she smiled walking towards the Charms area of the shop.  Looking down her list once again,  she looked for her book and found it putting it in her arms before she went to the Transfigurations side to get her book,  she couldn't wait to see what new spells both books held in them.  Maybe just maybe this year she'll master the Patronus charm.  

Athena was heading towards the back of the shop to get her Potions, CoMC and DADA book as she was looking down at her list as she ran into someone.  Books going flying in every direction, her short and petite self,  fell backwards on her bottom.   "It's ok,  I wasn't looking where I was going myself,  was too busy look at my list! "said Athena.   Getting up she started picking her books,  stacking them in a pile, she couldn't help but notice that his books were a bit advance then hers,  like sixth or seventh year books,  he did seem to be a bit older than her.  He looked to be probably sixteen,  but she could be wrong, but she was quite good at guessing stuff.  

Helping him gather his books,  Athena smiled sheepishly and shyly at him.  " I-I'm so sorry about knocking you over, I-I'm  Athena, Athena Abercrombie. " said Athena.

(Didn't know if Bertie ran into her, if not I can make it NPC!)
Athena Abercrombie
Athena Abercrombie
Fifth Year Gryffindor
Fifth Year Gryffindor

Number of posts : 212

Back to top Go down

Post by Bertie Nogard Sat Aug 15, 2015 5:43 pm

Upon collecting his own books from the floor he picked up a herbology book that he had known only too well. It had been the one that had helped him survive his fourth and fifth years, which told Bertie the girl had to be in one of those years, most likely the fourth due to her size. Then again, Bertie knew people in Ravenclaw who were just short for their age. 

'Bertie Nogard.' He replied, unsure whether the name would ring a bell in her. Probably not. The gossip and rumors about how he'd had to spend four months in St Mungo's, isolated, after almost dying in The Great Hall had dampened down over the past year now that everyone knew he was actually alive. Still, the images of his fellow classmates when he returned during a History Of Magic class still haunted him. He still couldn't believe some people actually thought he'd died. Thankfully that was way over a year and a half ago in the past now. 

An awkward silence. 

'So are you looking forward to going back to Hogwarts then?' Bertie asked, taking himself by surprise. A year ago he would have kept his head down and headed in the opposite direction thinking an act of clumsiness didn't warrant a prolongued conversation but there was something about the girl that he was drawn to. Her shyness, maybe? A part of her reminded Bertie of someone.

Last edited by Bertie Nogard on Sun Aug 16, 2015 5:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bertie Nogard
Bertie Nogard

Back to top Go down

Post by Athena Abercrombie Sun Aug 16, 2015 2:20 pm

The name wasn't familiar to her, although she did hear about a boy who almost died about a year in a half ago, was that him? If it was, Athena wasn't going to say anything about it, it probably haunted him from life. Athena looked up from her pile of books and smiled shyly at him. " Pleasure to meet you Bertie, cool name by the way, very unique. " said Athena. "Thanks for helping me with my books, although you didn't have to, you seem to have more books then I do."said Athena looking at his stack of books. "So...you're about to be a sixth year, are you nervous about it? "Athena asked him curiously.

Athena looked at him and shrugged. " Yes and no I guess, yes because I miss it, and no because it's OWL preparing year. "said Athena. She didn't know why she was so open to him, but she felt like he understood her for some weird reason. " W - what books do you still need Bertie? I still need my potions , CoMC and DADA books. "said Athena. " I'm good at CoMC and DADA but not so good in Potions, lets just say that I don't reallylike it. " said Athena. " I think we need baskets, I'll be right back. " said Athena running off to get two baskets.

A few minutes she returned with two small baskets in her arms. " Not much, but I couldn't get two big ones, one is big enough for me to push. " said Athena. " Um...seeing how you got all books already, can you um... maybe help me with mine? "Athena asked him shyly. " They move the place around alot, so I don't really know where everything is now. " said Athena honestly twirling he hair out of nervousness. " If you have other stuff to do it's fine I understand, just making some friends isn't easy for me, as you can probably tell. " said Athena.
Athena Abercrombie
Athena Abercrombie
Fifth Year Gryffindor
Fifth Year Gryffindor

Back to top Go down

Post by Bertie Nogard Sun Aug 16, 2015 5:49 pm

Bertie flushed an embarrassing shade of red as Athena complimented his name. In the wizarding world unusual names such as Bertie, or Bertius as he was legally called, were quite the norm and appreciated but back home, in the muggle town where the Ravenclaw lived not so much. Growing up with 'Bertius' had been a challenged and 'Nogard' only added to that uphill climb to prove to the muggles he wasnt an oddball. Something he was yet to do. Not that he was bothered about doing that anymore, but still, his name he still associated with the little boy with no friends. 

However, this little reminder of the person he used to be, the person he was trying to leave behind as he continued his life path, was quickly forgotten as Athena began to ask Bertie about his upcomming year.

'I'm kind of looking forward to it if I'm honest,' he smiled. 'I'm just doing subjects that I like and I wont be lumbered with potions essays - which is always a plus. I don't know how I would have passed my OWL if it wasn't for my friend Vivianna coaching me for the past few years.'

A thought had struck him as the younger student confessed her dislike for the subject too. His dislike of the subject had been eased by Vivianna, but this soon-to-be fourth year still had a couple of years to endure, maybe having someone help her out with her potions from time to time would help make it that less painful?

'Thanks.' Bertie said whilst unloading the books into the basket that Athena has brought over. He had forgotten what it felt like to carry an armful of books around. Living in the library for the past months at Hogwarts whilst he revised for his OWLs seemed like a whole age ago. 

'I still need to find my herbology and divinations books but I can help you first.' He smiled down at her. 'I worked here last summer so I have an idea of how they like to organise things, the changes in the layout doesn't seem to confuse me that much anymore.'

'You still need potions, right?' Bertie asked rhetorically before leading the way towards where he suspected the potions books to be. 'You know if you ever need help with your potions I'd be glad to help. I may not be studying it anymore but I had a pretty good teacher so could make fourth year less torturous.'
Bertie Nogard
Bertie Nogard

Back to top Go down

Post by Athena Abercrombie Sun Aug 16, 2015 7:30 pm

Athena always blushed when someone told her how unique and cool her name was, so she didn't blame him for being a but embarrassed by her saying something about how name. Athena was name meant Goddess of Wisdom, and was named after Athena the Greek goddess of wisdom. Although the sorting hat had difficulty sorting her, Athena didn't see herself as a person who had a lot of wisdom, she was just herself. But so many people liked her name it was unreal, although she liked her name and was glad to have a unique cool name she didn't think her name suited her. Was that weird to think that? After all, a name was just a name right? Just because it had a meaning didn't mean you had to follow it.

Athena shook out the thought as Bertie started talking about his upcoming year, it looked as if he was a bit excited about it some.

Athena looked at him and nodded shyly. " You're lucky on that part, I got to still do Potions for this year and next! "said Athena wrinkling her nose in disgust. " You're lucky to have a friend that was good in Potions to help you, I'm lucky I got through the first three years of Potions, I'm terrible at them! "said Athena.

Ok... it wasn't that Athena hated Potions, it was just that she simply didn't like it,and it wasn't her favorite subject. Don't get Athena wrong, Potions are good for alot of things, but she knew if she was going to be a animal healer she would have to know her Potions. It wasn't too late to change what she wanted to be right? Although those were options, she honestly didn't know what she wanted to be.

Athena nodded. " No problem, carrying around all those books looked to be a pain, so I helped you out. "said Athena simply shrugging as if it wasn't no big deal. Taking her own books she put them in her basket before looking down at her list once again.

" Oh crap, I forgot about Herbology, silly me how could I forget that subject! "said Athena. " If you would I would appreciate it, and you worked here, what was that like? "Athena asked him curiously tilting her head at him. " I think it'll be fun to be surrounded by books all day, you'll be learning something new everyday! "said Athena.

Athena nodded. " Yup more bloody potion books, just what I need! "said Athena sighing. Athena followed him through the store keeping at his heels, she didn't want to lose him in this big store, not when it was now getting busy. Athena's eyes brightened happily as he offered to help her with her Potions studies. " That would be nice Bertie, but you don't have to, I don't want to take away from your studying. " said Athena.
Athena Abercrombie
Athena Abercrombie
Fifth Year Gryffindor
Fifth Year Gryffindor

Back to top Go down

Post by Bertie Nogard Sun Aug 16, 2015 8:48 pm

'You worked here, what was that like?'

For a moment Bertie paused in his path towards the potions section. To anybody watching the boys reaction to such an ordinary question might seem a little unusual, his eyes had gone blank and her mouth had dropped open slightly, resting there before he plucked up a reply:

'It was okay.' 

The truth was that working in Flourish and Blotts had been great. Athena was right. Bertie had gotten to read a whole collection of books during the quieter periods of the day but working at Flourish and Blotts only brought back the horrors that the Ravenclaw had witnessed in the apothecary next door. After hearing a disturbance Bertie had  gone into the shop, which had been closed earlier, to investigate what was happening only to find a rigid body lying on the floor with Isadora Malfoy stopped over the body. She'd threatened him with his life, made him swear not to tell a soul. The threat had been intimidating enough that Bertie had resigned from Flourish and Blotts, too traumatised to continue working there during the summer. 

'Honestly, Athena it's fine. I need someone to pass my wisdom onto before I leave.' Bertie replied, before spotting the title on the spine of a book in the potions section. Reaching for the book, the Ravenclaw paused midway before retracting his empty hand.

'You know, there's really no need for you to buy the potions book. You could just have my copy, I wont have any use for it, it's just going to sit at the bottom of a storage box for the next two years. It's at home right now but I could give it to you when we're back at Hogwarts?'

'It also has extra notes in the side that my friend told me so you'd be saving your money and have some helpful hints.' Bertie added with a friendly smile. There really was no need for Athena to spend anymore money than she needed too. Unless of course she was a brand new copy for herself.

(ooc: I don't always bring up my characters past in every single thread but I figured I'd tell you a bit about what has happened to Bertie since I made him haha )
Bertie Nogard
Bertie Nogard

Back to top Go down

Post by Athena Abercrombie Mon Aug 17, 2015 3:55 am

Athena could tell just by looking at him, that he didn't like talking about working here, she wondered what happened to make him have that look but she didn't want to be nosey. It must have been horrible due to the blank look he was giving her, it was like he was having flashbacks of things, she couldn't help but not look at him with worry in her eyes. " Are you ok Bertie? you don't look so good, you don't have to talk about it if you don't want to, I understand if it was a bad experience. "said Athena softly but honestly.

Athena knew that look she had that look a few times after her grandfather died on her mother's side in a Airplane crash, she was on the plane with him and made it, but as for her grandfather he didn't make it. That was why Athena was scared of flying on a airplane or a broom for that matter, although she was ten when he died it still haunted her. To be honest, it still haunted her to this day, and that was years ago, guess some things can't be let go no matter how hard you try. Some memories Athena didn't want to remember, but they were implanted in her head, and she didn't like them. Although she had alot of good memories to replace them, so that was all that matters.

Athena looked at him and smiled shyly at him. " Ok...if you're ok with it, I would love your help. "said Athena. Athena lookedat the different types of Potion books, there were so many for different things, no wonder it was hard!

" Sure that would be great, also would help me alot as well, thanks Bertie. "said Athena. " I'll take good care of it, I'll give it back at the end of the year if you want it back. " said Athena. "Just my luck Potions will be the first subject I do, that be such a lovely welcome to the fourth year! "said Athena sarcastically. Now that Athena was warming up to Bertie, she was becoming a little more out going to him.

" You're to nice Bertie, wish some people out there were as nice as you are, then it'll be easier making friends. "said Athena. " So I guess we need Herbology and DADA. "said Athena reading off the rest of her books off the list.
Athena Abercrombie
Athena Abercrombie
Fifth Year Gryffindor
Fifth Year Gryffindor

Back to top Go down

Post by Bertie Nogard Mon Aug 17, 2015 10:13 pm

The ravenclaw was no longer sure if Athena had a crush on him or if she was just genuinely grateful that he was willing to help and let her have his potions book for free. He'd never received much female attention, if any, as far as romance was concerned but he watched girls croon after guys at parties and so on and they usually talked a lot, complimented them and tended to, by pure coincidence, like and dislike the things that they did. 

'Your welcome, Athena. It's really no trouble, just one friend helping out another.' He added, putting a subtle foot down to ensure that whatever was between them really was just friendship on the off chance Athena wanted more. The Gryffindor probabl didn't but Bertie wasn't used to people being so open and complimentary towards him.

'I'd let you have my herbology book but I'm taking that to NEWT level so it'll be useful to have my old textbooks as a reference.' Bertie said.

'They usually place herbology near potions because the ingredients and their properties overlap from time to time.' The ravenclaw told Athena as he craned his neck and peered around to see if he could locate the herbology section. 

'Over here.' He told her before picking up his basket and carrying it further down the isle to where the herbology section was. 

'What's the title of your book again?' Bertie asked as he squinted his eyes and began to skim read the spines of the book covers in search for his own textbook.
Bertie Nogard
Bertie Nogard

Back to top Go down

Post by Athena Abercrombie Mon Aug 17, 2015 11:00 pm

Athena didn't see Bertie nothing more than a friend, she was greatful for Bertie helping her, not many people would help a shy girl like her. Athena didn't think she was doing anything to tell him that she was crushing on him, she was just being her nice appreciative self, maybe it was too much. Athena never really had that many friends or anything for that matter, so she didn't know what affection was or anything, she didn't know what it was like to love another but her parents.

Athena looked at him shock. " I-I'm your friend? But we hardly know each other, how could you be my friend so quickly?"Athena asked him. " Not that I mind, it's just that I really haven't been good at making friends. "said Athena. "Are you glad to not be taking Potions anymore? "Athena asked him curiously. " I'll be glad when I can drop it, still have two more years of torture. " said Athena sighing.

" It's ok really, you can't give me every book you have for free right? "Athena asked him chuckling. Athena looked down at her list reading what Herbology book she needed, she noticed that she didn't need that many Herbology, but she needed a new DADA book.

Athena nodded and followed him. " That makes sense, alot of plants are used in Potions as well, so good thing their side by side. " said Athena. Athena was scanning the book shelves for her Herbology book, but didn't see it.

As he called out to her, Athena peered around the corner towards where he was. Athena reading the name of the book, her eyes wondered the shelves once again.

" Oh...I found it, here it is! "said Athena as she took the book off the shelf putting it in her basket. " Did you find yours or do you need help finding it? "Athena asked him.
Athena Abercrombie
Athena Abercrombie
Fifth Year Gryffindor
Fifth Year Gryffindor

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum