Unpopular Opinions - Page 4
Welcome to Potter’s Army

Welcome to Potter's Army

We have been a Harry Potter Roleplaying site since 2007. If you're an old member we hope you come check out the discord link provided below. And if you're looking for a new roleplaying site, well, we're a little inactive. But every once and a while nostalgia sets in and a few of our alumni members will revisit the old stomping grounds and post together. Remember to stay safe out there. And please feel free to drop a line whenever!

Unpopular Opinions - Page 4 Li9olo10

What’s Happening?
Since every few months or so a few of our old members get the inspiration to revisit their old stomping grounds we have decided to keep PA open as a place to revisit old threads and start new ones devoid of any serious overarching plot or setting. Take this time to start any of those really weird threads you never got to make with old friends and make them now! Just remember to come say hello in the chatbox below or in the discord. Links have been provided in the "Comings and Goings" forum as well as the welcome widget above.

Unpopular Opinions

Page 4 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Unpopular Opinions - Page 4 Empty Re: Unpopular Opinions

Post by Jaquellene Jack Dyllan Thu Jun 04, 2015 12:22 am

Although I think it becomes pretty clear that bravery really is her strongest suit. The only times she chickens out of anything is because she doesn't think the consequences are worth it. She can be bold. I don't think she's an idiot, but she's not exactly a genius. She just happens to retain well, be incredibly ambitious, as well as bold.

I never got into John Green stuff, and the little bits of his writing I've read... not impressed.
Jaquellene Jack Dyllan
Jaquellene Jack Dyllan
Gryffindor Graduate
Gryffindor Graduate

Number of posts : 10287
Special Abilities : Occlumency
Occupation : Unspeakable | Beater for the Falmouth Falcons | Deed-Holder of Satan's

https://jackles-feels-feelings.polyvore.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Everly Bardugo Thu Jun 04, 2015 1:27 am

If people rant and rave about a movie or book, I almost automatically despise it. I end up with high expectations and typically they fail. It's why I can't stand most chick flicks or certain classic novels.
Everly Bardugo
Everly Bardugo
Gryffindor Graduate
Gryffindor Graduate

Number of posts : 2817

Back to top Go down

Post by Jaquellene Jack Dyllan Thu Jun 04, 2015 2:11 am

I forgive classics, because evidentally there are reasons they are classics. But they have to reach me beyond "oooh it's classic so it must be good." But give me a classic over a YA novel every day.

There it is - I hate YA fiction. It's all soooo trivial to me.
Jaquellene Jack Dyllan
Jaquellene Jack Dyllan
Gryffindor Graduate
Gryffindor Graduate

Number of posts : 10287
Special Abilities : Occlumency
Occupation : Unspeakable | Beater for the Falmouth Falcons | Deed-Holder of Satan's

https://jackles-feels-feelings.polyvore.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Everly Bardugo Thu Jun 04, 2015 3:41 am

I have three reasons for saying that, even as an adult with only a year and a bit of college left, I absolutely love YA novels.

1. The market for them is just bonkers. If I get a job in a publishing house as I would like to, that'd be the place to work. So I read them for the knowledge of the genre, in part.

2. The tropes are so obvious that I can read a longer YA novel in like a day. It doesn't make me work hard and it's almost a game to see how many of the YA tropes they use.

3. I love the creativity of the novels. Harry Potter, after all, is classified as a YA. The first book is more middle grade, but the writing level increases as Harry grows up. Others use myth, legends, history, or create entirely new worlds like the HP one. I can't dislike anyone who has creativity. Nonfiction bores the hell out of me because it's somebody writing about the amazing things somebody else did. I don't want to read something written by someone who has to talk about other people and what they actually did. If someone can create a new, imagined scenario and story, I don't care if it has every YA trope imaginable. I'd rather read that than nonfiction.
Everly Bardugo
Everly Bardugo
Gryffindor Graduate
Gryffindor Graduate

Number of posts : 2817

Back to top Go down

Post by Wendy Fudge Thu Jun 04, 2015 4:35 am

I like nonfiction too. I've found biographies to be so interesting. It makes you realize how interesting everyone really is. Nonfiction about medical information bores me, but historical nonfiction is especially interesting. Right now, I'm on a true crime documentary kick. Watch Dear Zachary. Literally the one of the best documentaries I've seen.

This isn't really an unpopular opinion, but it's something that's not really common. I've become very comfortable in poor parts of town. I have friends who won't go down certain streets, will be careful about the music they listen to, etc, and won't make eye contact with people. I go out into the community with my students in the poor part of the 8th most dangerous city in America... and the sketchiest looking people are the nicest if you smile.
Wendy Fudge
Wendy Fudge
Sixth Year Hufflepuff
Sixth Year Hufflepuff

Number of posts : 56
Occupation : Nanny | Sales Assistant at the Hogsmeade Post Office

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top