Apple Pie and Schnitzel
Welcome to Potter’s Army

Welcome to Potter's Army

We have been a Harry Potter Roleplaying site since 2007. If you're an old member we hope you come check out the discord link provided below. And if you're looking for a new roleplaying site, well, we're a little inactive. But every once and a while nostalgia sets in and a few of our alumni members will revisit the old stomping grounds and post together. Remember to stay safe out there. And please feel free to drop a line whenever!

Apple Pie and Schnitzel Li9olo10

What’s Happening?
Since every few months or so a few of our old members get the inspiration to revisit their old stomping grounds we have decided to keep PA open as a place to revisit old threads and start new ones devoid of any serious overarching plot or setting. Take this time to start any of those really weird threads you never got to make with old friends and make them now! Just remember to come say hello in the chatbox below or in the discord. Links have been provided in the "Comings and Goings" forum as well as the welcome widget above.

Apple Pie and Schnitzel

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Apple Pie and Schnitzel Empty Apple Pie and Schnitzel

Post by Lee Shepherd Mon Jun 30, 2014 2:22 am

Lee paid the newspaper boy with a few sickles for a copy of the morning edition of the Daily Prophet. He had work to do here, and he couldn't do it in muggle London. He wanted to read the newspaper before deciding his next move. Diagon Alley was its usual bustling self, so Lee wanted some place to go that was a lot less chaotic.

He made his way to Sparks and chose a table in a quiet corner. American as he was, he preferred coffee to tea, and he ordered one of Sparks large, fresh cinnamon rolls. Very few of the average British wizards knew who he was, so he simply looked like any other wizard. Rarely was he ever interrupted at his table, and he liked it that way. It was a welcome change from the chaos of Washington.

The only one who really recognized him was Lizzie, the chef from Sparks. She sent out the coffee, the cinnamon roll, and a bowl of fresh berries. He smiled slightly that she remembered how much he liked fresh fruit at breakfast, even though he hadn't ordered any today. He liked the customer service he got here.

As the bistro door continued to open and close, and owls flitted in and out, he barely took notice--until an owl dropped an envelope on his table. He picked it up, looked at the way it was addressed and tucked it, unopened, into his pocket.
Lee Shepherd
Lee Shepherd
Gryffindor Graduate
Gryffindor Graduate

Number of posts : 50
Special Abilities : Portkey Creation
Occupation : American; President of Magical Congress of the United States of America (MACUSA)

Back to top Go down

Apple Pie and Schnitzel Empty Re: Apple Pie and Schnitzel

Post by Christabelle Whittle Mon Jun 30, 2014 2:47 am

Christy had yet to make a public appearance to very many people since she had been named Mistress of Magic in Germany. She had been finding out how much of a difficult job this was aside from having been Deputy Mistress for a few years after her father’s death, but without being able to go home until they had caught the murderer of the former Minister it had made things difficult for her to fully learn her position and do everything she needed to do.

She had honestly grown tired of just sitting around her London flat, awaiting word that she might be able to return to her ministry to accomplish something other than at her desk at home. She was tired of sending letters to other countries, making them aware that power had once more shifted from one person to another. Christy didn’t even know what else to do at this point.

Her mind went to Diagon Alley. It was always a fairly busy place and easy to get one’s self lost in for the day. She could easily grab herself some breakfast and hopefully work on something other than the chaos that was taking place in her own country. As she made her way down the street the sweet smell of Sparks caught her attention. She had always been a fan of the bistro, having frequented there before her last departure from Britain.

She had been there a few times since her return for their spinach and feta quiche. While she had always made it a habit to not eat meat, she found some guilty pleasure of eating these wonderful breakfast pies. She took her seat near the man with a newspaper that looked familiar but she couldn’t quite put her finger on where she had met him before. She had met many people not only while her father was Minister for Germany, but since she had taken the place as Deputy Mistress a few years prior.

After she ordered she couldn’t help but to look at the man trying to place where she had known him from. It was unnerving her, as she tended to have a fairly good memory. In fact it was something she had prided herself on. That as well as having been such a scholar when she was in school. That however, had yet to change in her life.
Christabelle Whittle
Christabelle Whittle
Seventh Year Ravenclaw
Seventh Year Ravenclaw

Number of posts : 4350
Special Abilities : Seer, Legilimens

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Shepherd Mon Jun 30, 2014 3:11 am

Lee saw the blonde woman enter and take a table. He had to think a moment before it registered with him. Oh, yes. The Whittle woman. It was one thing to be a Deputy Minister. It was quite another to be a leader. That was a different kettle of fish altogether. Lee didn't really see it as possible for her to be entirely ready to be a leader in the fullness that it entailed.

He gave her a slight wave and a smile.

Lee knew it was the respectful thing to do--to speak, but he also certainly knew about the murder that had led her to the post she now held. He knew the case had not been fully resolved, and so that would keep the young minister, effectively, laying low elsewhere. If she were not recognized, then perhaps he should not bring attention to her.

Personally, he didn't care if he were recognized or not. It didn't matter to him. He was here as a friend and an ally of Robert's. Lee was accustomed to being plastered all over the wizarding newspapers. As much as he liked his privacy, it just normally didn't bother him anymore if he were recognized--not unless it got excessive.

"Thank you," he said as his server refilled his tea. "I'll pay the tab for the woman over there too," he told the server.

"Well, aren't you feeling generous today, Mr. Shepherd?" she teased.

"There's an exception to everything," he said, able to return the teasing.

"I'll make sure you get her check," she laughed, leaving his table.
Lee Shepherd
Lee Shepherd
Gryffindor Graduate
Gryffindor Graduate

Occupation : American; President of Magical Congress of the United States of America (MACUSA)

Back to top Go down

Post by Christabelle Whittle Mon Jun 30, 2014 2:27 pm

She had heard the server address the man, and Christabelle’s mind could finally place a name to the face. Of course it was Lee Shepherd. She had met him on at least one of the occasions when she was home from school and had tagged along with her father to the ministry. Inwardly she chided herself for being so forgetful. Then again, she had been having other things on her mind.

After Christy had finished her meal, the server had come and told her that Mr. Shepherd had paid for hers as well. It would have been very impolite not to at least thank him for it. Her mind started reeling with possibilities of even speaking to him. After all, she had met him before. She knew he was fairly well experienced in running a government and she needed someone like that who could show her the ropes of things. Even she had to admit for the last few years she had mainly been used as eye candy for her own government. A pretty little thing that they thought they could control until she was of a more mature age to take care of things.

Standing up, she brushed down the skirt of her dress and made her way over towards Lee. Even while staying in England, she had the knack for always dressing her best and today was no exception. As she stood in front of Lee she looked at him almost sheepishly, “I suppose I must thank you for paying for my food this morning Mr. Shepherd.” She gave him a small smile.

“After all, it’s so nice to see even a slightly familiar face here.” Of course she had known that he had heard of the occurrence in her own country. She was fairly sure every wizarding nation had heard by this point in time. She was also aware of how much she needed strong allies. People, who could show her what it was to truly hold a position of power. Show her what her father had meant to while he was living to ensure that one day she would be ready for that responsibility, but had never gotten the chance.

She had known why her country wanted her to stay where she was. After all in less than a ten year time span, the previous two Ministers of her country, which would have included her own father had been murdered. If it had been her choice in life, she could have seen herself as an educator of some sort. She might have made her way back to Hogwarts or Beauxbatons to take a teaching position, but it was not to be her lot in life. Her lot was to quickly learn how to play the political game and be great at it.
Christabelle Whittle
Christabelle Whittle
Seventh Year Ravenclaw
Seventh Year Ravenclaw

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Shepherd Tue Jul 01, 2014 5:50 pm

The Whittle girl was being used. She was a pawn in a more powerful game, and Lee knew if she were not very careful, she would certainly end up dead in short order. She hadn't been brought up enough to know how to play this game. At her young age, she couldn't possibly have a clue of what she was doing, and that heightened the danger not only for her and for Germany but the whole of the wizarding world. Someone needed to try to keep her alive long enough to educate her.

"Come join me a moment," he said, motioning to his table. He motioned to his server, who came at once. "A fresh cup for my companion, please." The server disappeared. His tone became quieter, not wanting them to be overheard.

"Your father knew I am a very candid sort of a guy, so I'll cut right to the chase. I am glad you're laying low," he told her. "Certainly the wisest choice right now. If you don't mind me saying, though, you're over your head for a multitude of reasons. Germany has all the clear markers of a dangerous political power struggle, and that's tough even for the most seasoned leader. But you? You're in a miserable spot, and personally, I'd prefer to not see you eaten for breakfast by somebody that outwitted you. Frankly, you look like you need some help that they don't know about."
Lee Shepherd
Lee Shepherd
Gryffindor Graduate
Gryffindor Graduate

Back to top Go down

Post by Christabelle Whittle Wed Jul 02, 2014 1:55 am

Christabelle couldn’t help but to nod as she took the spare seat at the table with Lee. She offered a soft smile at the server before they walked off to get the new cup of coffee. She had never really been fond of the beverage growing up, but now that she was constantly being forced to rise earlier than she cared, she found that she had quite the taste for it. Especially French roast. She found that she had a taste for the stronger and darker blends, although she did like to add a fair bit of cream and sugar to it.

He had mentioned her father. If there had been any way to get her to listen, then that was it. The man who raised her had always tried to ensure her safety first and foremost. “I do have to admit that I really haven’t the slightest clue as to what I need to do.” She admitted looking at him. “You want to cut right to the chase, so I’ll do the same to you.” She added with a small smile. She liked that he didn’t want to make things look pretty for her. It seemed to ease her to meet one more person who could truly be real with her, and if she had to face the reality, Christabelle was not ready for the position that she now held.

“Quite honestly I think I was originally placed as Deputy Mistress when my father died as a sort of morale boost.” Christabelle admitted. “Show that our family wasn’t affected by his murder I guess, but anyways. I really would like to learn how to do my job right. As you said no one wants to see someone as young as I am eaten for breakfast by someone with more experience. I may be smart, but I’m also smart enough as to when to ask for help.”
Christabelle Whittle
Christabelle Whittle
Seventh Year Ravenclaw
Seventh Year Ravenclaw

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Shepherd Wed Jul 02, 2014 2:33 am

"Ms. Whittle, someone has been mounting this for a long time. Your father had concerns about it, but, as far as I knew, he was hoping to get to the bottom of it. He knew he risks. I have to tell you, though, this isn't the position he would have wanted you in.

"Let's look at this realistically. Whoever is doing this has outwitted some very experienced ministers, and right now, they have you right where they want you. They'd like to see you as their puppet for awhile.

"Until you learn the job, you will most likely need to temporarily be someone's puppet. What they don't need to know, though, is that you are wise enough to decide who you want to have pulling the strings. They can do it, or you can do it yourself, with some help. I'll help you.

"Do you feel comfortable with the Deputy Minister job and its tasks? I need to get a feel for what you know and what you don't know. And, what do you think your strong suits are as a politician and a leader?"
Lee Shepherd
Lee Shepherd
Gryffindor Graduate
Gryffindor Graduate

Back to top Go down

Post by Christabelle Whittle Wed Jul 02, 2014 3:13 am

“No, I don’t imagine it would have been the exact way he wanted it to go in the least.” She replied. “You know my father so I’m sure you realize he had an exact detailed plan for my entrance into the political world. His death just wasn’t in those cards.” She had to wonder, as careful as the man was, that he had never planned for his premature demise.

Christy, having been raised the way she was, and who she had been raised with had a far different outlook on the game. Even she was smart enough to realize that she was in a very precarious situation to say the least. What she needed to do first and foremost was to figure out who would be her ally and who would be her ally and who she had to mark as an enemy.

“I can say I would be extremely grateful for your help Mr. Shepherd.” Christy admitted to him. If he was going to be honest with her, she was going to be as truthful to him as she possibly could. “I’m quite used to being used as a puppet. I’m quite sure that I have been for most of my life. While I can say that I’m not fond of it, I think it could be handled for a bit longer so long as the need is there.

“However, I’m not quite sure I learned everything I needed to for my role as Deputy Minister job. While I did alright at it, like I said I was thrown into it with little if not no experience. I can say that having been raised at my father’s knee I did learn how to be very diplomatic and I’m very task oriented. And since I have been now thrown into this role, I have successfully launched the search for my predecessor’s murderer. My next step was to find out who would be an ally and who would not.”
Christabelle Whittle
Christabelle Whittle
Seventh Year Ravenclaw
Seventh Year Ravenclaw

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Shepherd Wed Jul 02, 2014 11:12 pm

"He did indeed," Lee said. "He and I talked about it a couple of times over a stein or two of bock beer the last few times I was in Berlin.

"I don't know if this answers it for you or not, but as much as he knew the dangerous position he was in, he had tried to surround himself with undercover protection agents, and he had deliberately doubled them around you. He was like many fathers--concerned more for their daughters than for himself. He also considered himself saavy enough to be able to somewhat protect himself.

"From what he told me, he was counting on being able to mentor you himself for a long time so he could, as he called it, 'teach you the right way to do things.' Your father had many friends, and I was privileged to be among them. From the meetings I attended, though, when your father got between a rock and the proverbial hard place, he looked to Robert Lupin for guidance.

"Your father had strengths in many areas, but the one that he knew was perhaps not his strongest was in strategy. And that was an area he knew that Robert and I do well in. He had mentioned he hoped that you could learn from me or from Robert some of the skills that he himself did not have naturally.

"You've done wisely in starting the investigation into his death, but let's watch how hard you push it because we really don't want to make you any larger a target than we need to. Right now, you're not a significant threat to your father's killers, not if they think they've run you off for now and that they have the upper hand because you're a bit of a novice at this. Let's make the most of your low profile.

"As far as allies, I can give you America, I can give you Canada and Mexico, and I also can give you England. I have enough of a relationship with the Lupins that they will maintain their alliance. Robert can give you Italy. He knows their minister, Daniella Ricci, very well indeed. Khaat's bodyguard, Marcus Belby, can provide you with an alliance to Bulgaria. He was the Minister's personal bodyguard for many years. The leaders of the wizarding community in those countries will give you a strong alliance. Robert might be able to give you more. However, I would urge you not to take anyone into your confidence unless Robert or I approve of it.

He thought for a moment. "I need to get you into Robert's inner circle, but that's going to take some doing. As you probably know, he and Khaat have had some health issues of their own. Khaat, though, is a worthwhile mentor for you as well. She has lived through what you're already going through. She was mentored by Robert and Remus, and she's had to learn to come into her own, politically. She knows what it takes to be a strong female political leader. You'll find her easier to access right now.

"The other person I need to really get you in touch with is Khaat's husband, Brian Quinn. You need to know how to protect yourself, and if there is one person I'd handpick to train my own staff, it would be him. That's why he trains England's aurors. Are you able to train to get into peak physical condition and able to train to know how to be a fighter? This would be the time to do that.

"And--one more thing. If you don't play chess, backgammon, poker, let's start there. They're excellent beginning training grounds for learning the basic principles of strategy. I know a rather quirky bloke who has a whole collection of wizarding war games. We can borrow them when you're ready.

"If you're living by yourself, though, then I highly suggest you stop it. I suggest you let me move you to a much safer, secure location. Let's make you as invisible as possible to anyone who might be looking for you, shall we?"
Lee Shepherd
Lee Shepherd
Gryffindor Graduate
Gryffindor Graduate

Back to top Go down

Post by Christabelle Whittle Thu Jul 03, 2014 12:55 am

Christabelle couldn’t help but wonder now just how many confidants her father had in his career. Here was this man offering to help her learn the game that she had quickly found herself in. A game that she really quite honestly had no idea how to play and without her closest confidant around to help her figure it out. Sure she had done an alright job while her twin was nowhere to be found, but Christabelle really wanted Godric by her side through all of this and not just wondering through the shadows.

Of course Lee had been right about her father. Even Christy had known that from growing up. Her father had begun to teach her small things here and there when she would be home on holiday from her studies. He had also instilled the importance in Godric on protecting Christy at all costs. “I almost believe that he was hoping that my twin and I would be the perfect balance.” She had finally said looking at him.

“Of course where as I was being groomed to be a leader, Godric was being groomed to be a protector.” She added thoughtfully. “When he learned, I picked up some things as well although I have to admit that I’m not nearly as proficient as him in my defense.” Of course she wouldn’t have been. Whereas she caught on to charms fairly easily, he had caught on to defense against the dark arts. However Lee was offering her something that she couldn’t obtain for herself and that was strong powerful allies. And while Christabelle wasn’t too fond of the situation going on in England at the moment she had known Robert Lupin to be a powerful ally and a strong leader. She couldn’t turn down such an opportunity.

She nodded as he said that she need not take anyone into her confidence unless he or Robert approved it. “There are too many people these days who simply cannot be trusted.” She mused. “Although I think everyone in the wizarding community here knows of some of the things going on with Robert and Khaat. And while I would like to of had time to follow Khaat and come into my own politically in my own time that just is not an option anymore.”

Christy was fond of running, but as of lately she had grown lax on her exercising. “I can tell you right now that I am up for the challenge of training. It would be a good change of pace for me, although I have learned how to be fairly proficient in throwing daggers over the last few years. Ive learned fairly quickly that magic isn’t always the best option in defense. While nice to have, it’s also nice to be prepared to use other means to protect yourself.”

Christabelle let out a laugh. She had been forced as a child to learn how to play poker and chess. “I must warn you, I have a fairly decent poker face. My father was very specific that I learned chess at a young age, although I have to admit while I’m not terrible at it, I’m not quite the best of players.”

She had been living by herself since her return to England. “While my brother’s apartment is nice and I have recently learned he is somewhere in London, I think it probably for the best that I do not reside at his flat. Too many people we know from here know where it is. It was actually on my list to do, but if you have somewhere in mind then I am all for at least giving it a shot.”
Christabelle Whittle
Christabelle Whittle
Seventh Year Ravenclaw
Seventh Year Ravenclaw

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top