Demographics of Wizarding Britain
Welcome to Potter’s Army

Welcome to Potter's Army

We have been a Harry Potter Roleplaying site since 2007. If you're an old member we hope you come check out the discord link provided below. And if you're looking for a new roleplaying site, well, we're a little inactive. But every once and a while nostalgia sets in and a few of our alumni members will revisit the old stomping grounds and post together. Remember to stay safe out there. And please feel free to drop a line whenever!

Demographics of Wizarding Britain Li9olo10

What’s Happening?
Since every few months or so a few of our old members get the inspiration to revisit their old stomping grounds we have decided to keep PA open as a place to revisit old threads and start new ones devoid of any serious overarching plot or setting. Take this time to start any of those really weird threads you never got to make with old friends and make them now! Just remember to come say hello in the chatbox below or in the discord. Links have been provided in the "Comings and Goings" forum as well as the welcome widget above.

Demographics of Wizarding Britain

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Demographics of Wizarding Britain Empty temp topic

Post by Darcy Driscoll Sat May 07, 2011 10:23 am

Magical Populations Around The World

"Let's say three thousand [in Britain]... but don't hold me to these figures, because that's not how I think."
- JK Rowling

Appoximate Pop of Britain = 62 000 000 people

= 1 wizard or witch for every 20, 666 (recursive) people. Assuming this distribution is average for every region (highly unlikely) these are the estimates for magical populations around the world.

Wizarding Population based on UN Estimate for 2020

Total World Population: 7,657 million people

Wand Owning Population: 370,512 people

Wizarding Populations By Country Based on Current Population Sizes

My spreadsheet got too large, so it's now hosted on GoogleDocs. No sign in required.

Where the Wizard & Witch population of a country is less than 100, some variation should be expected, UNLESS the population of the entire country is also less than 100.

The Vatican City has no Magical Community.

Some countries may appear twice, with slightly differing numbers. This is because I used multiple charts and the census figures will have been more recent in one of them. Always use the higher number.

Last edited by Calixta Montague on Sun May 08, 2011 1:05 am; edited 3 times in total (Reason for editing : spreadsheet! && bad spelling)
Darcy Driscoll
Darcy Driscoll
Second Year Ravenclaw
Second Year Ravenclaw

Number of posts : 94

Back to top Go down

Demographics of Wizarding Britain Empty Demographics of Wizarding Britain

Post by Franklin O'Neil Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:40 am

I made this thread to clear up confusion, as I had a reply to my article about something related to it. I gathered a lot of information before writing this.

Since this thread addresses a rather small issue, I could expand it to include many other topics about Wizarding Britain?

Anyway:

Overall population of Wizarding Britain:

The population of Wizarding Britain (and Ireland) seems to be around 12,000. We come to this figure by the few instances that Rowling points out about population in the Wizarding World.

1. Harry estimated that 200 Slytherin supporters arrived at a quidditch match. This means that there are around 800 students in total at Hogwarts.

This is a strange number, considering there were only about 40 students in Harry's year. (~10 per house) However, Harry's year could have an especially low number, due to a very low birthrate during the First Wizarding War.

2. By the demographics of muggle Britain, children aged 11-18 make about 10% of the population. Since wizards and witches live for much longer, the percentage of students would be even lower. If we take it at 6%, the total population becomes 12,000.

This makes sense. Harry observes hundreds of wizards in the Ministry atrium, and also is told that 500 ministry workers built the quidditch stadium.

3. Great Britain has about 1% of the world population. Assuming that it also has 1% of wizarding population, the population of the Wizarding World is around one million.

Again, this makes sense. The Quidditch World Cup stadium could hold 100,000.

Purebloods
A pureblood is a wizard or witch who have a purely of approximately pure magical heritage. This means there are no muggles in their close family trees, though this very rarely is ever the case. Another description is that a wizard or witch is pureblood if all four of his or her grandparents were wizards and witches.

If we take the former description, only a few families are still extant, and due to inbreeding, the number of true purebloods is always either stagnant decreasing. Currently true purebloods represent about 3% of the population.

If we take the latter description, purebloods are not all that uncommon. By general count of Harry's year-mates, about 25% of Wizarding Britain is pureblood.

Half-Blood
A half-blood is either a wizard or a witch with known magical heritage, or a wizard or a witch who's grandparents were both magical and non-magical.

Either way, half-bloods number far more than either muggleborns or purebloods. This number would go from 70% to 95%, depending on the definition.

Since Magical genes are dominant, squibs are very, very rare.

Muggleborns
Muggleborns are wizards or witches who have no magical heritage whatsoever. They are quite rare. Apparently, Harry's year had just two (Hermione and Justin.) If we take this number and apply it to the Wizarding Britain in general, about 2% of Wizarding Britain is muggleborn.

----------------------
Summary:

Population of the Wizarding World: Over a million
Population of Wizarding Britain (and Ireland): ~12,000
Pure-bloods in Britain: 300-3,000 (3%-25%)
Half-bloods in Britain: 8,500-11,500 (70%-95%)
Muggleborns in Britain: 350 (3%)
Squibs in Britain: ~100
Overall Ratio of Wizards to Muggles: 1 : 5600 (Or <0.02%)

Last edited by Franklin O'Neil on Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:33 am; edited 1 time in total
Franklin O'Neil
Franklin O'Neil
Graduate
Graduate

Number of posts : 32

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Demographics of Wizarding Britain Empty Re: Demographics of Wizarding Britain

Post by Franklin O'Neil Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:34 am

HPL and HP wiki had this ages ago, but it was mostly guesswork. JKR hasn't ever given the number of wizards, at least I dont think so. Various sources say 3000 wizards and witches but I think that is too little

Your right about Squibs, I read that somewhere but I guess I read it wrong.

How do you get the outcome ratio's? Even in canon, muggleborns are quite rare.
Franklin O'Neil
Franklin O'Neil
Graduate
Graduate

Back to top Go down

Demographics of Wizarding Britain Empty Re: Demographics of Wizarding Britain

Post by Franklin O'Neil Sun Feb 10, 2013 2:05 pm

Nope, the figures are for pre 2000. However, I don't think that there would have been any growth, considering the war and the plague in recent years. It could be that the population has decreased from 12,000.
Franklin O'Neil
Franklin O'Neil
Graduate
Graduate

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top