The Risk Of The Job
Welcome to Potter’s Army

Welcome to Potter's Army

We have been a Harry Potter Roleplaying site since 2007. If you're an old member we hope you come check out the discord link provided below. And if you're looking for a new roleplaying site, well, we're a little inactive. But every once and a while nostalgia sets in and a few of our alumni members will revisit the old stomping grounds and post together. Remember to stay safe out there. And please feel free to drop a line whenever!

The Risk Of The Job Li9olo10

What’s Happening?
Since every few months or so a few of our old members get the inspiration to revisit their old stomping grounds we have decided to keep PA open as a place to revisit old threads and start new ones devoid of any serious overarching plot or setting. Take this time to start any of those really weird threads you never got to make with old friends and make them now! Just remember to come say hello in the chatbox below or in the discord. Links have been provided in the "Comings and Goings" forum as well as the welcome widget above.

The Risk Of The Job

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

The Risk Of The Job Empty The Risk Of The Job

Post by Susan Bones Sun Nov 11, 2012 6:15 am

Susan sighed as she unlocked the door to the Daily Prophet. She couldn’t believe how much work she had to put into just to fix this place after the attack. It was a lot of work but at least she had a reason to update the place. It was much nicer now than it ever was. She had to get new printer presses, new type writers and had to gut the entire place. It still smelt of new paint. She looked over at the memorial wall she had put up. There she had to look at her uncle, her uncle’s family, her aunt and her kids but she honestly didn’t mind, they desired to be remembered.

She sighed as she dumped her jacket on her office chair. Her office was closed off from the rest of the Daily Prophet. The reporters and everyone else just worked in cubicles but she had two more offices for more editors. But she didn’t even have many employees; she didn’t know how to get more employees. It seemed like no one wanted to work for the Daily Prophet. She keeps telling herself that it will all work out but she just doesn’t know anymore.

She keeps her office door open as she starts to read through letters from readers. Most of them were good reviews but this time there is one that doesn’t fit in. She opens it not really thinking about why it stood out. She dropped it jumping out of her chair when she read it.

We are watching you. Didn’t you get our warning with the murder of your children? You and the rest of your family are on our list. Didn’t anyone teach you when to keep your mouth open?

She was in shock. There was no signature at the bottom, who would sign a death threat. She was scared for her family. She knew this was a risk she was taking but she supposed she had the prof that Death Eaters killed her children now. What was she going to do? What bothered her more was the fact the letter looked to be written in blood.

She walked out of her office and paced around the Daily Prophet trying to breath. She ended up sitting down in the middle of the floor trying not to start shaking or crying. She felt like she was seventeen again in the Room of Requirements trying to survive hoping that the war would end. She didn’t know what to do anymore. She couldn’t take all of this. She didn’t know how her Aunt had done this all those years. What she would give to have her Aunt with her right now.

After a couple of minute she got up flicked her wand to light up the Daily Prophet and turn on the few machines they did have. She picked up the Death Threat letter and placed away from the other letters as she read the others. She wasn't going to let anyone bully her around, no death threat would scare her off.

Last edited by Susan Bones on Sun Nov 11, 2012 7:31 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : I forgot a paragraph)
Susan Bones
Susan Bones
Hufflepuff Graduate
Hufflepuff Graduate

Number of posts : 232
Special Abilities : Animagus, Astral Projection

Back to top Go down

The Risk Of The Job Empty Re: The Risk Of The Job

Post by James S. Potter Sun Nov 11, 2012 4:13 pm

James had been strolling through Diagon Alley, checking up on the buildings that had been damaged, and offering help where it was needed. The clean-up proceedings were going along well enough without him, but James had a day off from Quidditch practice, and he felt the need to do something worthwhile. With the recent attack on Diagon Alley, it just seemed like the place to start.

As James passed by the ruined Daily Prophet, he noticed the lights switch on and he decided it'd be a good time to swing by and check on Susan. James entered the building, hearing the whir of the press machines as they began to start up. A small smile lit his face. With magic taking the place of pretty much any machine, it was nice to see that some things still ran mechanically. James then caught site of Susan. She was composed as always, but James got that feeling that she was holding a lot in.

"Hello, Susan," James said, announcing his presence, "Seems like the Prophet is up and running again. Any new news on that baby you saved?"
James S. Potter
James S. Potter
Graduate
Graduate

Number of posts : 361
Special Abilities : Animagus and Parseltongue

Back to top Go down

Post by Susan Bones Sun Nov 11, 2012 4:31 pm

Susan smiled when heard James. She had to admit he had grown to quite a young gentleman despite the tragedies he had gone through. She often wished she been part of the kids’ lives when they were younger, she knew Ginny wouldn’t have minded. They had lived together in that stuffy Room of Requirements for several months, everyone talked to each other.

“People want their news. I really wouldn’t call it running since I’m the only one here but its good enough. I should work on the outside of the place but that would require me to put off all the articles I’m behind on and I need to call the Wizarding Radio,” sighed Susan. She sometimes felt like she was the only person that worked for the Daily Prophet though that isn’t completely true since there are one or two reporters but that’s not nearly enough.

“I haven’t seen the baby since I dropped it off at St. Mungo’s, where they were able to find a grandmother in Ireland. I didn’t stick around after that; all I wanted to stick around for is to make sure the child was with someone. I didn’t really want another child to care for since I’m sure I’m going to end up taking in my grandchild when he or she is born, I don’t think Edgar’s girlfriend can even care for herself anymore these days,” she said. She didn’t know how she was going to take care of a child that looked anything like Edgar. It wasn’t going to be easy for sure.
Susan Bones
Susan Bones
Hufflepuff Graduate
Hufflepuff Graduate

Back to top Go down

Post by James S. Potter Sat Nov 17, 2012 5:00 pm

((Sorry, almost forgot about this one! I'll add it to my thread tracker so I don't forget again.))

"I could work on the outside of the place for you, if you'd like," James offered, twirling his wand between his fingers....stopping hastily when sparks shot out from the end.

James pocketed his wand, looking a little abashed as he listened to Susan's news on the baby. He nodded his head, happy that they had been able to find a family for the child. He privately thought that Susan's life was hectic enough without adding another baby into the mix. This woman definitely needed a few years to just relax and put her feet up. When she mentioned the fact that she may need to take in her grandchild, James frowned a bit.

"Surely Edgar's girlfriend wouldn't want to be separated from her child, no matter what difficulties she is facing. Does she have anyone watching over her? I don't like to envision anyone being completely alone...or would she be coming with the baby? Perhaps she just needs some time?

I confess that I cannot be much help in her case. I didn't know Edgar well, and I do not believe I have ever met his girlfriend."
James S. Potter
James S. Potter
Graduate
Graduate

Back to top Go down

Post by Susan Bones Sat Nov 17, 2012 8:48 pm

“If you want,” Susan sighed. She wouldn’t directly accept help but indirectly yes. She knew she needed help put she hated asking. It just wasn’t something she did well with. Asking for help was something that she had be raised not to do.

“I wish it was that easy James. I’m trying to help the girl but she is struggling but she’ll figure it out I hope. Luckily I have enough money to support the girl if takes longer than expected. I just don’t like the idea of my grandchild having less then I know Edgar would have given him or her,” she said.
Susan Bones
Susan Bones
Hufflepuff Graduate
Hufflepuff Graduate

Back to top Go down

Post by James S. Potter Sun Nov 18, 2012 1:25 am

"Susan," James said in a serious voice, "If money is the problem for her, then I would be more than happy to assist her in finding a job. I have a few connections in this world. I do hope that she can get her life together. A child without their mother and father is a very sad thing."

James shook his head to rid himself of such thoughts, and attempted to change the subject.

"So, what needs to be done outside then? Obviously charred wood needs to be repaired. Glad to see the lighting wasn't effected. Anything in particular you need fixed?"
James S. Potter
James S. Potter
Graduate
Graduate

Back to top Go down

Post by Susan Bones Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:19 am

“Don’t worry about us. We’ve managed a lot and this is just one more thing,” sighed Susan. It was still a strange idea for her that she would be a grandmother. She felt so old. She wasn’t scared of being old it was more of all the wasted time that bothered her.

“I don’t know James. You can do whatever you like with the outside but the roof will need work, the last thing I want is rain in my office. The only thing you need to do is to put the Daily Prophet sign back up, it’s hanging there by a thread and I’m too short to reach it to take it down and fix it,” she sighed. She felt stressed out from everything still. She knew it wasn’t healthy but what could she do about it until everything was fixed.
Susan Bones
Susan Bones
Hufflepuff Graduate
Hufflepuff Graduate

Back to top Go down

Post by James S. Potter Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:07 am

James almost laughed at the mention of the sign, thinking Susan was joking, but he caught himself. James frowned, now a little concerned.

"I'm sorry, but has the stress impacted your magical ability?" James asked her quietly, "I don't want to pry, but I would have thought it'd be simple enough to summon the sign, or use a simple reparo charm. If you are having problems with doing magic, you should let someone of the Order know so that we can protect you and your family. You guys seem to be targeted a lot lately, and I'd hate to see you get attacked without any sort of defense."
James S. Potter
James S. Potter
Graduate
Graduate

Back to top Go down

Post by Susan Bones Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:41 am

Susan fought the urge to slap the poor boy silly. She knew the boy was trying to help but there are politer ways to ask that. It was true though. The Healers had told her she was on the border of depression when she was in St. Mungo’s. It did run in the family so she wasn’t surprised. She knew it wasn’t going to get better anytime soon. She had a daughter who hated her, another daughter who was sibling in and out of sanity, the fact she had two died kids would never stop hurting and she had no idea what was going on with her and Ernie. She was surprised she hadn’t exploded yet. She was surprised Amelia hadn’t either. Her worst fear was Amelia exploding and that she would be unable to pull her back. Potions would help Amelia but they are so addictive, maybe it was the only way though.

“You’re a very blunt boy aren’t you? That doesn’t always go over well with the ladies. Maybe it has maybe it hasn’t. I am not the only magical adult in my household. Believe it or not my father is more than capable of protecting his home. He has survived two wars hasn’t he,” she stated. She hadn’t really answered James because she wasn’t sure she could say it despite how true it was. It was making her extremely mad that her magic wasn’t up to par.
Susan Bones
Susan Bones
Hufflepuff Graduate
Hufflepuff Graduate

Back to top Go down

Post by James S. Potter Wed Nov 21, 2012 4:20 am

James raised both his hands up in a defensive manner, backing up slightly from Susan.

"Woah," he said soothingly, "I'm sorry, but I will be the first to admit that subtlety has never been my strong suit. Mother used to always tell me that I'm as hard-headed and impulsive as my godfather. Sorry for any offense, but Susan...we obviously care for you and don't want to see you hurt anymore. I am sure that your grandfather is a grand wizard, however I saw him at the wake and he seems to be getting on in years. Also, the Death Eaters have been known to kill greatly skilled wizards and witches merely by sneaky attacks and by attacking in numbers. I am just worried that if any Death Eater sees that you are grubbing about like a muggle, they will believe your defenses to be down and go in for the kill.

It is well known that a huge shock or severe ongoing stress can and will effect your magical abilities. It's nothing to be ashamed of. The worst thing for you to do would be to continue carrying on without any help. If you refuse the care and concern others offer you, then any psychological blocks will only continue, and perhaps even weaken you further. You should be allowed to rest and get back some of your strength. My dear lady, you do not have to take on the world alone. You have many friends who are ready and willing to help you."
James S. Potter
James S. Potter
Graduate
Graduate

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum